• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the voices and art assets help a bit! I mostly replayed my actual PS3 copies to hear the performances and they do pretty good.

Do you have any links for the patches? Do they even work with the translation patches? I guess they should since they prolly just adjust the image files.

Tho while not that good the OG art is fine in Umineko. In Higurashi that shit is more terrifying than anything I have encountered in the Last of Us.

upandaway

I wish I could just try it out right away, it's even the top rated vn in vndb, but don't you have to go through the other muv luv vns first which weren't very good? And all of them very long?
"The other" is just 2, both of which are not that long at all (and they're still enjoyable, I liked both). I think Muv Luv Unlimited took me a bit more than a weekend. Make sure to get all endings in Extra though.

That's what buildup is, you have to read them first. And it's worth it! I'm not a rankings kinda guy, but MLA is so good man.

aravuus

"The other" is just 2, both of which are not that long at all (and they're still enjoyable, I liked both). I think Muv Luv Unlimited took me a bit more than a weekend. Make sure to get all endings in Extra though.

That's what buildup is, you have to read them first. And it's worth it! I'm not a rankings kinda guy, but MLA is so good man.

Yeah, nothing wrong with long buildup, but two whole games for it.. Well, I think I'll still check it out. I haven't read a good story in a while, been just playing games and watching tv shows. I just hope extra and unlimited aren't comparable to, say, Ever17, with the first required routes/the buildup being just some boring "romance everybody" stuff. Sure they made the true route a lot better, but they were still boring.

So how was it again, first extra, then unlimited and alternative last?

e: you know actually come to think of it, what the hell is muv luv even about lol? the vndb summary is pretty much "a high schooler meets a girl and shit goes south" which describes 90% of all vns. mysteries, murders, alien invasions, time travelling, crazy mind fuck twists, anything like that? cba to spend dozens of hours with it if it's just go after girls and fuck them type of stuff

Marche90

Extra is introduction to the characters, Unlimited is introduction to the setting and Alternative is the Epic.

I don't recommend doing all the endings in Extra. For me, the basics are Meiya, Sumika and maybe Ayamine, if only to meet a character which will be important later on. Unlimited; just do one ending and you're done.

Extra drags on if you do all the endings, tbh.

upandaway

Well, for anyone who has that big of a problem with the concept of Extra's various endings, I'm also comfortable saying those three endings are a good minimum (hell, if I could decide, the minimum would be
only Sumika and Ayamine
). I guess my stance is a bit biased since I was fine doing all endings myself. And I will always recommend doing Marimo's ending just for
how funny it is

Yeah, nothing wrong with long buildup, but two whole games for it.. Well, I think I'll still check it out. I haven't read a good story in a while, been just playing games and watching tv shows. I just hope extra and unlimited aren't comparable to, say, Ever17, with the first required routes/the buildup being just some boring "romance everybody" stuff. Sure they made the true route a lot better, but they were still boring.

So how was it again, first extra, then unlimited and alternative last?

e: you know actually come to think of it, what the hell is muv luv even about lol? the vndb summary is pretty much "a high schooler meets a girl and shit goes south" which describes 90% of all vns. mysteries, murders, alien invasions, time travelling, crazy mind fuck twists, anything like that? cba to spend dozens of hours with it if it's just go after girls and fuck them type of stuff
Not gonna say anything about the actual contents of it! You're better off that way. Muv Luv Extra is romance, and the rest exists, that's all you get.

Extra is introduction to the characters, Unlimited is introduction to the setting and Alternative is the Epic.

I don't recommend doing all the endings in Extra. For me, the basics are Meiya, Sumika and maybe Ayamine, if only to meet a character which will be important later on. Unlimited; just do one ending and you're done.

Extra drags on if you do all the endings, tbh.

I'll second this, especially for Unlimited. Don't bother going through more than one "route" of Unlimited, they are all identical. For Extra, Sumika and Meiya are required, and maybe do Ayamine, but there's no reason to do more than that unless you are enjoying Extra and want to see everything.

tually come to think of it, what the hell is muv luv even about lol? the vndb summary is pretty much "a high schooler meets a girl and shit goes south" which describes 90% of all vns. mysteries, murders, alien invasions, time travelling, crazy mind fuck twists, anything like that? cba to spend dozens of hours with it if it's just go after girls and fuck them type of stuff
Extra is a harem comedy. Unlimited is where the plot first starts and it is quite different, so don't let Extra put you off the series.

aravuus

Extra is a harem comedy. Unlimited is where the plot first starts and it is quite different, so don't let Extra put you off the series.

I looked into it a bit and, uh, I'll try. The writing is fucking atrocious tbh lol

Not to offend anyone, but I can't believe someone finds this stuff cute. To each his own I guess.

Marche90

Eh, it happens. Then again, I've read worse things so maybe I'm more insensitive towards the writing. Anyway, try to hang in there.

And if the worse comes to the worst, well... search for the abridged version of the story in the translator's page and move onto Alternative. Absolutely do not do this if possible, only if you find yourself disgusted beyond belief.

OnFire331

I looked into it a bit and, uh, I'll try. The writing is fucking atrocious tbh lol

Not to offend anyone, but I can't believe someone finds this stuff cute. To each his own I guess.

Extra is made to be the most generic harem comedy for a reason (atrocious writing notwithstanding). Just play the Sumika route first and Meiya route second (or viceversa) in Extra, and just Meiya's in Unlimited. This is what I did and this is all you need, Extra was getting on my nerves too. If you get the desire to reread Extra (you kind of will want to after Alternative, believe it or not) you'll be shitting bricks by the stuff that went over your head.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Extra is made to be the most generic harem comedy for a reason (atrocious writing notwithstanding). Just play the Sumika route first and Meiya route second (or viceversa) in Extra, and just Meiya's in Unlimited. This is what I did and this is all you need, Extra was getting on my nerves too. If you get the desire to reread Extra (you kind of will want to after Alternative, believe it or not) you'll be shitting bricks by the stuff that went over your head.

Yeah, in my play-through I only did the routes required in Extra to speed up things up to Unlimited and Alternative. While Extra is fluffy generic crap it really helps out in the end.

aravuus

Haha yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if I did get the desire, I can already tell there's a ton of foreshadowing. Reading it gets a lot more manageable too when you just accept the fact that all of the cringeworthy stuff is supposed to be like that. Good thing I'm a fast reader!

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Yeah Extra sucks a lot, unlimited is so-so. But they are both required to get the most enjoyment from alternative, just get the 3 suggested ending in Extra (feel free to skip most of the repetitive crap), 1 ending in unlimited, and enjoy the epic alternative.

OnFire331

Haha yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if I did get the desire, I can already tell there's a ton of foreshadowing. Reading it gets a lot more manageable too when you just accept the fact that all of the cringeworthy stuff is supposed to be like that. Good thing I'm a fast reader!

Also, if you've got the time, you might want to see the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien anime, it'll also enhance your MLA experience (at least for me it did). But it's not necessary like Extra and Unlimited are.

aravuus

Also, if you've got the time, you might want to see the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien anime, it'll also enhance your MLA experience (at least for me it did). But it's not necessary like Extra and Unlimited are.

Yeah sure, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Also heh heh,
@Sumika's "do you care if everyone finds out you were talking about going to some other world?", I just knew Yuuko's quantum physics info dumping had something to do with the plot.
I'm reading so fast it only hit me after a few more sentences, had to check the backlog/history/whatever it's called to see if she really said what I thought she said. I'm actually getting pretty fucking excited about alternate!

upandaway

If you get the desire to reread Extra (you kind of will want to after Alternative, believe it or not) you'll be shitting bricks by the stuff that went over your head.
I've seen this floating around everywhere and I don't know, it's kind of hard to believe it'll be THAT crazy of an experience to justify an entire reread. Are there any specific examples? Besides
the Takemikazuchi overlay in the background of Extra's title screen

Has anyone else had a chance to check out the If My Heart Had Wings demo? It's a very solid translation imo.

It's great, but still has a few errors and a few awkwardly worded phrases. Thankfully they've said that the demo script isn't final, so that probably means any issues will be fixed!

I'm seriously hyped for the game! It just sucks that there's nothing to look up about it. -_- Just a couple contests and month-old news reports. I'm hoping for some sort of review materials to feed my hunger! >.<

aravuus

I gotta ask, if Extra is supposed to be a very generic harlem/romance vn, do protagonists really tend to be this fucking thick in them? :V

Like holy fuck it's almost physically painful

well whatever, at least the dream stuff has been intriguing so far

e: or not lol, just takeru being an idiot god just shut up takeru

e2: i take that back, FUCKING SAY SOMETHING TAKERU GODDDDD

"sumika......................... sumika......................... sumika......................... sumika......................... sumika......................... " HOLY WHAF HAGADFFFFFFF

It's great, but still has a few errors and a few awkwardly worded phrases. Thankfully they've said that the demo script isn't final, so that probably means any issues will be fixed!

I'm seriously hyped for the game! It just sucks that there's nothing to look up about it. -_- Just a couple contests and month-old news reports. I'm hoping for some sort of review materials to feed my hunger! >.<

Just wait until the official release next week :p. Granted, there's a chance that Japanator could get a review up soon.

I would have most likely asked for a review copy for my press outlet, but since my reviewers and I are all busy atm it wasn't exactly a priority for us to try and chase down MoeNovel. That said, I'm looking forward to actually going out and buying a physical copy at AX in two weeks. Can't wait for the MangaGamer and JASTUSA panels!

OnFire331

I've seen this floating around everywhere and I don't know, it's kind of hard to believe it'll be THAT crazy of an experience to justify an entire reread. Are there any specific examples? Besides
the Takemikazuchi overlay in the background of Extra's title screen

Sumika wants Takeru to introduce her to an alien.
Sumika's favorite food are mushrooms (this one made me rage hard).
Yuuko makes Takeru print 5000 pages of her research as punishment.
The shoe that hits Takeru is thrown by himself from the other world.
The student that Yuuko turns into a cat is Tsukiji Tae.
Meiya assuring Takeru that she can confide everything with her.

I gotta ask, if Extra is supposed to be a very generic harlem/romance vn, do protagonists really tend to be this fucking thick in them? :V

Like holy fuck it's almost physically painful

well whatever, at least the dream stuff has been intriguing so far

e: or not lol, just takeru being an idiot god just shut up takeru

e2: i take that back, FUCKING SAY SOMETHING TAKERU GODDDDD

"sumika......................... sumika......................... sumika......................... sumika......................... sumika......................... " HOLY WHAF HAGADFFFFFFF

:lol Just bear with it, Takeru has some remarkable character growth later on in the trilogy. Also don't read the spoilers up there.

aravuus

Not going to doubt that, one of the best vns couldn't have an idiot like him as a protagonist lol

Anyway, that's Sumika's route done, Meiya's shouldn't take long, most of the scenes are probably going to be identical. Here I go!

e: wow these are seriously identical, I'm already at the road trip. gonna finish this tonight for sure, then it's so long and fuck you to extra

e2: wtf, even the bath scenes are the same. this route is literally going to take less than an hour lmao

OnFire331

Not going to doubt that, one of the best vns couldn't have an idiot like him as a protagonist lol

Anyway, that's Sumika's route done, Meiya's shouldn't take long, most of the scenes are probably going to be identical. Here I go!

e: wow these are seriously identical, I'm already at the road trip. gonna finish this tonight for sure, then it's so long and fuck you to extra

e2: wtf, even the bath scenes are the same. this route is literally going to take less than an hour lmao

Meiya's route is 80% copy-pasta of Sumika's. You read fast, are you skipping the voices or something?

cj_iwakura

Do you have any links for the patches? Do they even work with the translation patches? I guess they should since they prolly just adjust the image files.

Tho while not that good the OG art is fine in Umineko. In Higurashi that shit is more terrifying than anything I have encountered in the Last of Us.

I think the expressions in Umineko make the OG art really good if not superior.

Also, are you interested in the fighting game translation I'm working on? The response from the Umineko scene has been pretty lukewarm(and almost non existent here).

aravuus

Meiya's route is 80% copy-pasta of Sumika's. You read fast, are you skipping the voices or something?

Yeah, I have them completely disabled 95% of the time. When I come across a new character I turn them on for a few minutes to hear what s/he sounds like, then I turn them off again. It's enough for me. Also I'm.. Not a very big fan of the language and how it usually sounds.

Also I completely skipped the hilariously forced sex scene.

e: now that I think of it, the biggest thing about it might actually be the fact that their mouths don't move. It's, in some weird way, really hard to connect a voice to a face when the face is lifeless. After all, most anime is alright as long as it doesn't have those obnoxiously high pitched girls

OnFire331

Yeah, I have them completely disabled 95% of the time. When I come across a new character I turn them on for a few minutes to hear what s/he sounds like, then I turn them off again. It's enough for me. Also I'm.. Not a very big fan of the language and how it usually sounds.

Also I completely skipped the hilariously forced sex scene.

e: now that I think of it, the biggest thing about it might actually be the fact that their mouths don't move. It's, in some weird way, really hard to connect a voice to a face when the face is lifeless. After all, most anime is alright as long as it doesn't have those obnoxiously high pitched girls

Alright, I wouldn't recommend it but it's your choice. In Alternative you can't turn off voices (it's not just a recommendation, the game doesn't have the option if I recall correctly), but it has lip-syncing, some fully animated scenes by Kou Yoshinari, insert songs by Jam Project and 16:9 aspect ratio that makes it pretty different from the original.

aravuus

Alright, I wouldn't recommend it but it's your choice. In Alternative you can't turn off voices (it's not just a recommendation, the game doesn't have the option if I recall correctly), but it has lip-syncing, some fully animated scenes by Kou Yoshinari, insert songs by Jam Project and 16:9 aspect ratio that makes it pretty different from the original.

Lip-syncing should be enough, I think alternative will be fine with voices on! But yeah, preferences, preferences. This may sound weird, but I'm good at imagining the characters' voices

Anyway, decided to start Unlimited since I don't have to go to bed for another hour and the start is already pretty interesting. It's obvious what has happened but I'm intrigued in finding out WHY!

e: oh they practically spell it out for you haha. oh well.

Maybe I'll try going through Unlimited with the voices on

OnFire331

Lip-syncing should be enough, I think alternative will be fine with voices on! But yeah, preferences, preferences. This may sound weird, but I'm good at imagining the characters' voices

Anyway, decided to start Unlimited since I don't have to go to bed for another hour and the start is already pretty interesting. It's obvious what has happened but I'm intrigued in finding out WHY!

e: oh they practically spell it out for you haha. oh well.

Maybe I'll try going through Unlimited with the voices on

Unlimited is a prologue of sorts for Alternative, but it retains the light-hearted tone of Extra and only gets a bit darker near the end. You should leave the voices on, if only to get used to them for Alternative.

aravuus

Unlimited is a prologue of sorts for Alternative, but it retains the light-hearted tone of Extra and only gets a bit darker near the end. You should leave the voices on, if only to get used to them for Alternative.

Yeah they've been on for a few hours now, I think I'm getting used to them.

Unsurprisingly, Takeru is still a massive idiot. Like holy fuck what's wrong with you levels of idiocy.

"Oh hey, I'll just play with my game guy in this new, underdeveloped, war-ridden world here, nothing will go wrong OH HEY it's MEIYA I'll just open the door for her still holding my game guy here"
what the fuck hide it you idiot

"Oh this? Ohhhh uhhhh it's just a training simulator, top secret don't tell anybody or you'll die"
oh hey whoa, nice save Take-

"WHY DON'T YOU TAKE IT MEIYA!!!!"

wtffffffffffff

"now she's addicted and it's totally my fault because i'm fucking dumb BUUUUUUUT i think i'll do fucking nothing about it heh heh that'll fix it"

e: i literally can not believe yuuko or someone told him he's CHARMING. what kind of backwards twisted fucking hellhole of a world is this if that's charming wtf. i wonder if the writer(s?) actually believe they've written a charming character

e2: wow haha, everything turns out alright in the end purely thanks to luck and he goes "OH i guess it wasn't my fault then!!!!"

hours later edit.. wow. design. what the fuck. japanese sure come up with the weirdest fucking stuff ever. how should we design the women's suit? let's make them show practically nothing else BUT the womanly bits!

oh my god :V i'm having a hard time taking this stuff seriously lmao

OnFire331

Yeah they've been on for a few hours now, I think I'm getting used to them.

Unsurprisingly, Takeru is still a massive idiot. Like holy fuck what's wrong with you levels of idiocy.

"Oh hey, I'll just play with my game guy in this new, underdeveloped, war-ridden world here, nothing will go wrong OH HEY it's MEIYA I'll just open the door for her still holding my game guy here"
what the fuck hide it you idiot

"Oh this? Ohhhh uhhhh it's just a training simulator, top secret don't tell anybody or you'll die"
oh hey whoa, nice save Take-

"WHY DON'T YOU TAKE IT MEIYA!!!!"

wtffffffffffff

"now she's addicted and it's totally my fault because i'm fucking dumb BUUUUUUUT i think i'll do fucking nothing about it heh heh that'll fix it"

e: i literally can not believe yuuko or someone told him he's CHARMING. what kind of backwards twisted fucking hellhole of a world is this if that's charming wtf. i wonder if the writer(s?) actually believe they've written a charming character

e2: wow haha, everything turns out alright in the end purely thanks to luck and he goes "OH i guess it wasn't my fault then!!!!"

hours later edit.. wow. design. what the fuck. japanese sure come up with the weirdest fucking stuff ever. how should we design the women's suit? let's make them show practically nothing else BUT the womanly bits!

oh my god :V i'm having a hard time taking this stuff seriously lmao

Hahaha, Unlimited is still filled with stupid stuff like Extra, it's basically Extra with a change of setting and
the suits are an unfortunate case of pandering that was made because otherwise the visual novels wouldn't sell on PC even if the game gives a half-assed excuse for that (the transparent suits are just for cadets, later on the suits are opaque). Just, try to not mind it too much.

aravuus

It's seriously a shame they have to use sex and nudity to get some more customers. While the scenes and nudity parts in Extra were stupid (especially Meiyu's scene, haha oh my god), they didn't take away from the story or the experience, and at least they fit the harem stuff. They were unneeded, but for the most part, natural... -ish.

Shame I can't say the same for Unlimited. The suit stuff is just a complete overkill. It's somewhat tolerable since the story is still pretty light hearted, but I don't know what'll happen later in the story when it gets serious if they'll still wear those.

Aside from that, Unlimited has been slightly more enjoyable than Extra. Takeru is still Takeru, now with some angst to accompany the idiocy, but seeing the girls in a complete different environment and situation is pretty neat.

Seems like a pretty short read though, I've been reading for maybe 5 hours and I think I'm over halfway through.

e: and so Unlimited is also turning into a goddamn harlem vn. Every 'episode' is a wacky situation with one of the characters, who is all "ohmergerd it's takeru i'm blushing~~~~" by the end of it. So I guess I get to choose who I want to fuck at the end. Jesus. I'm going to sneakily replace that "way" earlier with "slightly".

Please tell me the aww cute romance stuff is non-existant or at least kept at minimum in Alternative.. It doesn't seem to have routes so I'm hopeful.

e2: hahaha, now he's
returning the present he got from meiya and not understanding how everyone feels about him even when it's goddamn spelled for him :V this is painfully bad
I don't think I know anyone irl who's really this thick

Takeru is seriously my main problem with Muv Luv so far.
He's an inconsistent idiot. Most of the time his brain operates on a toddler's level, yet he still pulls massive fucking hannibal lectures here and there like it's nothing. He's mostly optimistic, yet once or twice he falls into a deep depression - for an hour. Then he gets suddenly better. He's super genre savvy about mechs and absolutely nothing else.

not really spoilers but i still decided to tag them. and i don't know if anyone even reads this stuff, i just like ranting and going on about this kind of stuff lol. hopefully i'll have some more positive stuff to write about when i get to alternative.

EDITED AND I'M DONE WITH EXTRA AND UNLIMITED YEEESSSSSSSSS

Two words should suffice to describe them both: utter shit. Please be good Alt.

OnFire331

It's seriously a shame they have to use sex and nudity to get some more customers. While the scenes and nudity parts in Extra were stupid (especially Meiyu's scene, haha oh my god), they didn't take away from the story or the experience, and at least they fit the harem stuff. They were unneeded, but for the most part, natural... -ish.

Shame I can't say the same for Unlimited. The suit stuff is just a complete overkill. It's somewhat tolerable since the story is still pretty light hearted, but I don't know what'll happen later in the story when it gets serious if they'll still wear those.

Aside from that, Unlimited has been slightly more enjoyable than Extra. Takeru is still Takeru, now with some angst to accompany the idiocy, but seeing the girls in a complete different environment and situation is pretty neat.

Seems like a pretty short read though, I've been reading for maybe 5 hours and I think I'm over halfway through.

e: and so Unlimited is also turning into a goddamn harlem vn. Every 'episode' is a wacky situation with one of the characters, who is all "ohmergerd it's takeru i'm blushing~~~~" by the end of it. So I guess I get to choose who I want to fuck at the end. Jesus. I'm going to sneakily replace that "way" earlier with "slightly".

Please tell me the aww cute romance stuff is non-existant or at least kept at minimum in Alternative.. It doesn't seem to have routes so I'm hopeful.

e2: hahaha, now he's
returning the present he got from meiya and not understanding how everyone feels about him even when it's goddamn spelled for him :V this is painfully bad
I don't think I know anyone irl who's really this thick

Takeru is seriously my main problem with Muv Luv so far.
He's an inconsistent idiot. Most of the time his brain operates on a toddler's level, yet he still pulls massive fucking hannibal lectures here and there like it's nothing. He's mostly optimistic, yet once or twice he falls into a deep depression - for an hour. Then he gets suddenly better. He's super genre savvy about mechs and absolutely nothing else.

not really spoilers but i still decided to tag them. and i don't know if anyone even reads this stuff, i just like ranting and going on about this kind of stuff lol. hopefully i'll have some more positive stuff to write about when i get to alternative.

EDITED AND I'M DONE WITH EXTRA AND UNLIMITED YEEESSSSSSSSS

Two words should suffice to describe them both: utter shit. Please be good Alt.

If you're already reading Alternative, the pace doesn't pick up until the 5-10 hour mark
(gotta get past the Unlimited events again).
Alt is 40-50 hours long and it's linear (aside from a few choices here and there that just changes the dialog), so you've got a lot to look forward to. Enjoy the ride.

I've never heard of Megatokyo, but the premise alone has me interested!

And boy, the maker really knows how to twist arms! I wonder how many backers will actually go for trying to make $500,000...

I'm really curious if they're going to reach the stretch goal. It'd be freaking amazing lol.

Looking forward to seeing what Fred produces.

Marche90

lol, am I reading this right? He'll make the game into an eroge if they reach $500k?

lolwut

And I thought this guy hated fanservice and the like.

Oh well. EDIT: said all that but never commented on the thing itself. D'oh. If founded, this will be good. I like the comic, after all, but waiting for new updates is awful.

Muntu. Just wait until you hit the good parts of Alternative. You'll start to shit bricks left and right.

Andrefpvs

I haven't read Megatokyo in the last two years, so no spoilers please, but wasn't the comic nowhere near being finished? I wonder what he's going to do with the VN's ending. Is he going to spoil the comic, make original endings...?

cj_iwakura

I haven't read Megatokyo in the last two years, so no spoilers please, but wasn't the comic nowhere near being finished? I wonder what he's going to do with the VN's ending. Is he going to spoil the comic, make original endings...?

Last I read it, the story had kind of gone off the rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom