• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow780

For people interested, the Dangan Ronpa English patch should be out later today!
its-coming-1.png

How is this game?

Labrys

How is this game?

I'm on the third chapter, it's really, really great. Stayed up all last night and into morning finishing the second chapter up.
Apparently there was a Let's Play, and people are being bitchy over this translation being different than the LP, but I think they did a good job, going in blind at least.
I haven't found any grammatical errors or untranslated text, and they made everything super professional looking. If I didn't know it, I would assume someone like Aksys or XSeed released it officially.

It's a quality translation, a little fandom just developed around a LP and they got attached to their own terminology, even if the way it was translated for this patch works better.

Knurek

It's a quality translation, a little fandom just developed around a LP and they got attached to their own terminology, even if the way it was translated for this patch works better.

Only thing I would really change so far (granted, still Chapter 1) is localizing Monokuma to Monobear. Rest of the translation is aces.

aravuus

(MLA) Ah, so much techno blabber and info dumping.
I love how they try to explain causality leaking and quantum physics in layman's terms, and make it even harder to understand :lol

It's an interesting choice to use characters from older games though. I don't know if the older VNs took place on earth, if they did, it makes complete sense and it's kinda cool I think.

Also, Takeru's resolve seems to be stronger than ever, so strong, that it couldn't really get any stronger. Gee, I can't wait to see how much shit he gets thrown at before he loses it again...

e:
Hey I'm getting better at guessing the twists, the brain in the other world really was Sumika! I wasn't sure at first, but when Kasumi clung onto it at the end of Unlimited and shouted like Sumika, I was almost 100% sure. Heh, I'm so good :smoke

Holy shit that's a cool explanation to luck lol,
"the ability to subconsciously choose the actions that lead to the preferred timeline branches"

gokieks

Holy shit that's a cool explanation to luck lol,
"the ability to subconsciously choose the actions that lead to the preferred timeline branches"

Yeah, it's basically the multiverse theory, which is a fascinating one. If you're interested, Michael Crichton's novel "Timeline" deals with it and actually offers a pretty good and interesting explanation.

aravuus

Yeah, it's basically the multiverse theory, which is a fascinating one. If you're interested, Michael Crichton's novel "Timeline" deals with it and actually offers a pretty good and interesting explanation.

Thanks, I'll definitely add that to my to-do list, I absolutely love this kind of stuff. There's never too many stories about time traveling, alternate dimensions, quantum physics and all that beauty

e: (mla)
Oh snap, I remember the original world's Yuuko struggling to tell Takeru something when they visited Sumika's room after her accident, especially when Takeru went "I hope you'll be cooking a lot of good food Sumika" or something.. She's a fucking vegetable or in a coma, or at least paralyzed from neck down or something, has to be. The other world's Sumika wasn't technically dead after all... Fuck goddamn it, I hope I'm wrong :(

e2: (mla again)
The BETA HAVE to have something to do with humans, or earth's species in general, there are way too many similarities between them visually for it to just be a coincidence in a super detailed VN like this. I'm seeing at least horses, scorpions and spiders, in addition to the obvious human faces, hands and feet. I WANT TO KNOW MOOOOOOORRRRREEEEEEEEEE ALREADYYYYYYY

e3: (guess what)
So, 00 Unit's getting Extra's Sumika's memories and Alt-Yuuko is getting Extra-Yuuko's memories. I wonder if anyone else starts getting their counterparts' memories, Meiya, Mikoto, Kei and Chizuru should get at least some. They did get a day's worth of interaction with Takeru in Extra-verse after all. (oh i guess not, booooring)

Not too much into this arc's pacing. Too many classes about stupidly detailed things, like how many fucking arms a TSF has lmao, and right after, completely skipped mock battles. I think they could have shown at least the first virtual hive assault and the first mock battle with the new squad mates so the reader would also get an idea what the new people are like in combat. Other than that though, it has been super interesting, it's not exactly happy, but compared to the earlier events, it's nice and easy.

New characters, whom I like more than some of the original squad (go away Chizuru) and enough plot to keep me interested, so overall it has been very good. 00's evaluation is very soon so I expect the plot to pick up some pace again.

aravuus

jlghksdkjlhgsdlkjLKJHLSAKGJHDKLFGHJDSKFGHDFSKLGHKSLDGHJBL

Hahaha, getting me excited in the middle of the night, damn you I gotta go to bed in a minute mang!

And they just started the attack, stopped for tonight when Takeru talked to captain Isumi, Haruko and Meiya on top of the transport ship carrier whatever. It was really nice to learn some of the more personal stuff about the captain, I really like her. Now what's this weird feeling I have... Oh yeah, I guess it was the exact same with Mariko right before she died a painfully gruesome death! Yeah FUCK YOU Yoshimune you're NOT KILLING HER FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

e:
what the hell, everyone survived :V and on top of that, takeru kicked some serious ass goddamn

.. well technically the assault isn't over yet, but they wouldn't kill anyone off NOW, with susano'o showing it's massive firepower and everyone's happy???? right?????? :(

e2:
no wait lmao, everything's going to shit pretty goddamn fast. i really wonder if they'll ever win, considering the humanity's greatest weapon could blow one hive's top off.. and that's it :V

i'm going to be fucking furious if takeru's sudden (really, where the fuck did they even come from??) visions of meiya's sweaty vagina made unit 00 fuck up seriously goddamn
i really hope i'm wrong about it cause right now, it sounds like a godawful twist (stealth edit jesus fucking christ i really think it was that.. sorry but that was just a horrible twist, comparable to something like when a protagonist just keeps doing to wrong decisions and the player/reader can't do anything about it)

e3:
okay so kashiwagi died and isumi will die soon. shame, i liked them, just not as nearly as shocking as marimo's death. and they weren't my favorites of the new squad either so don't get fucking angsty now takeru

e4:
isumi died. that was... like the exact opposite of marimo's death. you could almost say it was a beautiful death! her last conversation with takeru made me genuinely smile

my posts look really stupid with all the white bars. only two arcs to go i believe, maybe i'm finally getting close-ish to the end

e5: slight spoilers maybe i guess http://i.imgur.com/aunI6BQ.png pfffffFFFTTT HAHAHAHAHAHA

yuuko's amazing.
i wonder if this'll lead to the less liked sex scene cause it does sound like it could get both unneeded and disturbing

upandaway

Isumi is one of my favorite characters! Everything about her death hit me in the heart. It also proves that they really knew what they were doing with Marimo and it wasn't "haha YOU WA SHOCK" for no reason.

About the sex vision, you know how Takeru's been getting them all over the place, even in Unlimited's ending. To me it makes sense that he'll get one of a sex scene eventually in front of Sumika, it's easy enough to accept.

-----
Anyone getting the If My Heart Had Wings thing? Just got an email that it's available now.

Marche90

At the end you will understand why those visions had that result.

Let's just say that 00-Sumika is a tad more jealous than what is healthy. How much? You will have to reach the ending to see it :)

aravuus

Isumi is one of my favorite characters! Everything about her death hit me in the heart. It also proves that they really knew what they were doing with Marimo and it wasn't "haha YOU WA SHOCK" for no reason.

Now that I've come to know the rest of the new people, generally speaking I like them a lot more than the original gang. Ayamine and Meiya are the only ones that really stand out as great characters in my opinion. Mikoto is okay, Tama is okay-ish, Chizuru sucks. But the new gang rocks, I like every one of them and yeah now that I think about it, Isumi was definitely in the top 5 characters of the whole series. Hayase and both Suzumiya's fucking rock, I hope they never die!

About the sex vision, you know how Takeru's been getting them all over the place, even in Unlimited's ending. To me it makes sense that he'll get one of a sex scene eventually in front of Sumika, it's easy enough to accept.

Can't say I remember but eh why not, he's been getting flashbacks. The time and place was somewhat neatly explained with the explosion and the smoke reminding him of the volcano mission, sure.

It's just that I've never been a big fan of this kind of twists. It's like a rube goldberg's machine of twists, something very specific happens at a very specific time and place and it has massive consequences. First, Takeru has to have a vision of himself fucking someone but Sumika - very small chance of happening. Second, Sumika has to be there and has to be reading Takeru, which is likely, but it was the first goddamn time ever it mattered. Any other time it would have been fine. And last of all, the feeling of jealousy.. Overheated her? Don't know much about walking, human-like quantum computers, but.. Okay.

I'm not saying it was necessarily a bad twist. Personally I just hate big twists that rely completely on chance.

Funnily enough, I fucking love it when a character pulls out a stupidly luck-based plan, a gambit roulette

Let's just say that 00-Sumika is a tad more jealous than what is healthy. How much? You will have to reach the ending to see it :)

Ah, well if there's more to it, I won't yet give it my.. Final.. Judgement. Whatever. You know what I'm talking about.

My progress has halted for now though because Rogue Legacy got released yessssssss

Nishastra

Banned

Spoilers for later on (aka don't read this):
Well, I don't really think the
sex scene flashbacks are directly why she freaks out so much.

Remember, that is also the moment where she remembers what was done to her by the BETA, and that's what really makes her break down.

Marche90

Spoilers for later on (aka don't read this):
Well, I don't really think the
sex scene flashbacks are directly why she freaks out so much.

Remember, that is also the moment where she remembers what was done to her by the BETA, and that's what really makes her break down.

Don't read, end spoilers
No, the reason why she freaks so much is that because Takeru has done that with other womens, and she isn't that stable at that moment, be her body, mind, etc. Remember that she had trouble remembering things too at that point in time? I bet that the only thing that she could think more or less coherently was that she loved him and that caused that specific breakdown. Also, the whole "she is responsible for essentially pulling Extra!Takeru into this world" thing, though I guess that won't matter until the end

Maron

I've never played a VN before but I'm familiar with MegaTokyo and the Visual Novel Kickstarter for it got me interested in checking out a free official download for one that the creator of that series mentioned on the site, called Katawa Shoujo (Disability Girls). Anyone here given that a look?

Since it was my first ever VN I have no idea what to really expect but the other night I found myself at my first "end" where I managed to
not get with any of the girls and ended up falling off a roof and dying.

I've enjoyed it so far but I was expecting to get more chances to choose responses.

Nishastra

Banned
Don't read, end spoilers
No, the reason why she freaks so much is that because Takeru has done that with other womens, and she isn't that stable at that moment, be her body, mind, etc. Remember that she had trouble remembering things too at that point in time? I bet that the only thing that she could think more or less coherently was that she loved him and that caused that specific breakdown. Also, the whole "she is responsible for essentially pulling Extra!Takeru into this world" thing, though I guess that won't matter until the end

More super-spoilers:
Not saying that isn't an issue, but that
is the exact moment she remembers everything else as well, and what happened to her Takeru and her body would be way more traumatizing. When she becomes so distant right afterwards, it all comes down to her explaining exactly what she "is", and everything turns out okay as soon as Takeru says he doesn't have a problem with it.

Before that, Takeru is sure she's freaked out over seeing him having sex, but nothing Sumika says supports that being the case.

aravuus

Sumika's acting weird as fuck after she officially joined the squad and Takeru goes "yes she's EXACTLY like the old Sumika I'm so happy!!!"? She never acted like this in Extra, though I'm ready to brush that off with Takeru lying to himself. He did just go "I didn't fuck all those girls, it must have been some other Takeru!!" when it was clearly him, just in different loops after all. (lmao@ YUUKO TOO??? Jesus fucking christ, I may have to quickly check what kind of weird excuse they use to get that shit on :lol)
Hahha I can't wait to see where this goes.
I kind of want to see Sumika rejecting Takeru, should result in some pretty crazy stuff :V

Also the next VN I will read must have less anime hair. I guess that Sumika's lone strand of hair that shows her emotions is cute, but none of the other stuff is. Meiya's especially is stupidly hilarious.

Also something that has less inner monologue.
Takeru's mental growth was awesome at first, some massively superb character development there... But he thinks waaayyyy too much about his personality, and mental health and maturity, if he has or hasn't grown at all, if he should or shouldn't have said that, if everyone else is better/cooler/more mature/better/maturer than him, if if if if... It's like every fifth spoken line is accompanied by 10 lines of Takeru thinking about mundane shit. Not a fan of that.

ALSO ALSO STOP GODDAMN SAYIN UUUUU ALL THE TIME TAKERU jesus christ :V
He always cries with "UUUUUU" so now, whenever there's a few u's one after the other in Takeru's line, I imagine him howling and whimpering like a hurt dog and I just. can't. unhear. it.

aravuus

Hahaha,
Takeru DID get rejected and he DELIVEEEEERRRRSSSS

"Is it some other guy?!"
HAHAHA oh my god Takeru, what are you thinkingggg. She's barely been functional a day on top of being an abomination, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to find a new guy????

The author really wants to drive the fact home that Takeru really fucking sucks with girls :V

Shame it's time for some dark, brooding Takeru now. "I'm still so pathetic..:"

aravuus

What the actual fuck

So there's the first sex scene.

I feel... Almost offended. How was this necessary? What purpose did it fill? This has been the most serious VN I've read and then fucking THIS happens. "They made my sensitive parts bigger"??????? Yeah fuck you too. I feel I'm being underestimated. "He's reading a Japanese VN, of course he wants this".

Fucking goddamn it, this is just pathetic and disgusting.

I wish I could just stop reading right here, I seriously do. But I've spent way too much time in this series to stop because of some disgusting fetish.

Buuuuuuuut yeah, I remember someone saying these parts were close to the end. Are they? It'd be nice if I got to start Sharin no Kuni today, I heard someone comparing it's twist to Ever17's in awesomeness so I really gotta check it out. Anyone here read it?

aravuus

Eh, that's what I'm pretty much doing yeah. Thank god it seems like they right away forget it, to the point where Takeru pretty much replies with "who cares" :lol

Maybe that wish to stop reading was a bit of an overreaction, but whatever.

Sharin no Kuni is alright. It suffers horribly from pacing issues, but there are some pretty great moments in it, the problem is that it moves so slowly at times and way too many unnecessary words are used.

And yeah Muntu, that scene is bad. Even many fans of the VN dislike it.

If My Heart Had Wings was released, I'm waiting for someone to bite the bullet to see if the translation is any good.

aravuus

Sharin no Kuni is alright. It suffers horribly from pacing issues, but there are some pretty great moments in it, the problem is that it moves so slowly at times and way too many unnecessary words are used.

Ohhhhh. In that case I'll leave it for later. I'm getting sick of reading practically the same stuff over and over and over and over again already, thanks to Takeru and some.. Well, maybe even most of the conversations that have taken place in the last 10 to 15 hours.

Thought it'd be a nice fast-paced one since it's length is said to be 10-30 hours @vndb but I guess you really can't judge stories by their lengths.

So either I take a break from VNs for a while or read G-senjou no Maou next. I tried reading G-senjou a year or two ago but got bored halfway through, thought I'd give it another go. With MLA's surprisingly slow moving plot, I really want more.. Mysteries, twists, mind fucks, surprises right now.

e: and there's the second one.
I wonder what fucking a quantum computer feels like.
WELL THEN, now that we're over that shit, maybe the plot will start moving again thankyou

e2: aaaand thanks! shit is hitting the fan, gonna be awesome

e3:
harukaaa :(((( well i guess it's to be expected, she's the one without a tsf. i'm expecting almost everyone to get killed off by the end anyway.

e4:
haha, takeru is tripping balls. "you're all alive?!?! ah it must be the very developed prosthetic technology!" yeah sure, i guess it could bring back the dead

Nishastra

Banned
Has anyone gotten around to playing Dysfunctional Systems yet? Juniper's Knot was interesting and I'd be curious to hear if anyone has played the new game yet?

http://dysfunctionalsystems.com/
Now I have finished it. It's very short (right around two hours), which does not surprise me given that it's "episode one"... However, now I really want to know when the next episode is coming...

The premise is interesting. A "perfect" world (I'm sure there's some horrible dark secret we'll learn someday, right? :p) where humans have basically solved all conflict and need, cured all diseases. They have some kind of dimensional travel technology that they use to go to other worlds and try to solve their problems. Reducing chaos in favor of order seems to be their primary goal.

The game itself is about a girl (Winter) in training to be one of these "mediators", shadowing an experienced mediator (Cyrus).

The art is nice, the music is nice, and I enjoyed Winter's arguments with Cyrus (which are the bulk of the game so far :p). I hear there's another ending, so I'll have to go back and check that out.

got me interested in checking out a free official download for one that the creator of that series mentioned on the site, called Katawa Shoujo (Disability Girls). Anyone here given that a look?.

I've heard a bit about Katawa Shoujo, but outside of seeing some streams of it and watching my fiance start it back when we both first downloaded it, I haven't actually got around to completing the game myself.

aravuus

YYEEEAAAHHH
ORIGINAL HIVE ASSAAAUUULLLTTT

just

stop talking about mundane shit already goddamn, let's get this show started!

OnFire331

The Sadogashima battle rocks! The first real taste of action in the VN. There's a side-story named Muv-Luv Alternative Chronicles Confession that details the final moments of Isumi as she finally comes to terms with her own death. My eyes watered at the speech of the captain of the Yamato, too *salutes*

The BETA rape is the one think I thought you wouldn't like of the VN. It's one really tasteless piece of shit, that had no place in the story. If you felt the need for the BETA to do something traumatic to Sumika, focus on the dismemberment, not the pleasure. Worst part of the trilogy. Still, I got over it by how fast the VN got over it, so I just shrugged it off.

Haruka's death is even worse when you realize she didn't get to do anything, she couldn't complete the password input. Also, their death (Haruka's and Mitsuki's) are kind of amplified if you watched Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (their Extra equivalent of the story, but a serious and rage-inducing one).

Enjoy the speech, it's the only place where you'll hear Norio Wakamoto giving a speech about humanity's greatness, animated by Kou Yoshinari and to the music of Jam Project. It's a mecha fan's wet dream.

That speech, that salute,
"Look Marimo, your children are leaving" with Carry On playing in the background.
I loved this scene.

aravuus

Haruka's death is even worse when you realize she didn't get to do anything, she couldn't complete the password input. Also, their death (Haruka's and Mitsuki's) are kind of amplified if you watched Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (their Extra equivalent of the story, but a serious and rage-inducing one).

Rage-inducing how? So bad it made you rage or what? I really liked those two and I'll probably check it out some time after I finish MLA

Enjoy the speech, it's the only place where you'll hear Norio Wakamoto giving a speech about humanity's greatness, animated by Kou Yoshinari and to the music of Jam Project. It's a mecha fan's wet dream.

Ahah, shame I'm not that big a mecha fan, I have no idea who these people are :V
Or maybe I do, I'm incredibly bad at remembering Japanese names. Almost as bad as remembering stupid fantasy names, like the ones you come across in Game of Thrones.

e: oh I just now got to that scene. I really wish mla had more animated scenes, the short movies are absolutely gorgeous

I know this is a bit dumb a thing to say, after all, I'm reading a novel... But stop this endless conversation already. I'm sorry, but I really can't give a fuck why Chizuru's resolve is at it's best right now or what Akane thinks of her sister or why we could or couldn't borrow the takemikazuchimansan-sama-chan or even the minor details of the upcoming operation or or or whatever

maybe it's me being a bit impatient because the end is near

and the story itself is a fuckload more interesting than you akane, chizuru, tama and mikoto

and the beta will die soon and GODDAMN IT JUST ATTAAAAAAACCKKK WOHOO

Now I have finished it. It's very short (right around two hours), which does not surprise me given that it's "episode one"... However, now I really want to know when the next episode is coming...
It was a little boring in the first half (too much politics talk maybe), but after
bomb explosion
I was hooked.
Music is also great, still have main theme in my daily playlist - http://youtu.be/M7mhIZDeTRU
Kind of sad that the next episode isn't coming until next year...

Same here. I hope it's not as long as playasia says. The wait for it is going to unbearable with all this promo stuff coming out! >_<
I've bought a digital copy there. It's cheaper than the disc version :) Though download (3.2 GB) is very slow for some reason. I enjoyed the art and presentation in the demo and can't wait to play the full game!

The premise is interesting. A "perfect" world (I'm sure there's some horrible dark secret we'll learn someday, right? :p) where humans have basically solved all conflict and need, cured all diseases. They have some kind of dimensional travel technology that they use to go to other worlds and try to solve their problems. Reducing chaos in favor of order seems to be their primary goal.

The game itself is about a girl (Winter) in training to be one of these "mediators", shadowing an experienced mediator (Cyrus).

The art is nice, the music is nice, and I enjoyed Winter's arguments with Cyrus (which are the bulk of the game so far :p). I hear there's another ending, so I'll have to go back and check that out.

Sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to check it out!

Thanks for the impressions.

Rage-inducing how? So bad it made you rage or what? I really liked those two and I'll probably check it out some time after I finish MLA

There are some plot points that involve the protagonist and let's just say he's pretty bad. You're better off watching the anime 'cause the VN afaik has not been translated.

I know this is a bit dumb a thing to say, after all, I'm reading a novel... But stop this endless conversation already. I'm sorry, but I really can't give a fuck why Chizuru's resolve is at it's best right now or what Akane thinks of her sister or why we could or couldn't borrow the takemikazuchimansan-sama-chan or even the minor details of the upcoming operation or or or whatever

maybe it's me being a bit impatient because the end is near

and the story itself is a fuckload more interesting than you akane, chizuru, tama and mikoto

and the beta will die soon and GODDAMN IT JUST ATTAAAAAAACCKKK WOHOO

One of the reasons why I love MLA so much is that these characters aren't the kind to romanticize their duty (
Takeru
aside) and that above all, they're human, for better or worse (as you've seen with the
coup
arc and
the whole AMERICA being up in everyone's business
). They each have their worries, their motivations, convictions and to be honest, I like the downtime they give to the characters; development, you know.
To me, the BETAverse is a great backdrop to see what humanity (even individual people) is willing and capable of doing. See: ML Alternative: Total Eclipse (although it's untranslated as it's a 360/PS3 VN, but I am fortunate enough to know some Japanese and read through it in 60 hours with translating dialogue on and off. I liked it more than MLA proper but that's just me).

In the end, I think you should take the tagline to heart.

&#12300;&#12381;&#12428;&#12399;&#12289;&#12392;&#12390;&#12418;&#23567;&#12373;&#12394;&#12392;&#12390;&#12418;&#22823;&#12365;&#12394;&#12392;&#12390;&#12418;&#22823;&#20999;&#12394;&#24859;&#12392;&#21191;&#27671;&#12398;&#12362;&#12392;&#12366;&#35441;&#12301;

"This is a very small, very large, very precious, tale of love and courage&#8221;

aravuus

One of the reasons why I love MLA so much is that these characters aren't the kind to romanticize their duty (
Takeru
aside) and that above all, they're human, for better or worse (as you've seen with the
coup
arc and
the whole AMERICA being up in everyone's business
). They each have their worries, their motivations, convictions and to be honest, I like the downtime they give to the characters; development, you know.
To me, the BETAverse is a great backdrop to see what humanity (even individual people) is willing and capable of doing. See: ML Alternative: Total Eclipse (although it's untranslated as it's a 360/PS3 VN, but I am fortunate enough to know some Japanese and read through it in 60 hours with translating dialogue on and off. I liked it more than MLA proper but that's just me).

In the end, I think you should take the tagline to heart.

&#12300;&#12381;&#12428;&#12399;&#12289;&#12392;&#12390;&#12418;&#23567;&#12373;&#12394;&#12392;&#12390;&#12418;&#22823;&#12365;&#12394;&#12392;&#12390;&#12418;&#22823;&#20999;&#12394;&#24859;&#12392;&#21191;&#27671;&#12398;&#12362;&#12392;&#12366;&#35441;&#12301;

"This is a very small, very large, very precious, tale of love and courage&#8221;

I can totally see your reasons and true, with massive amounts of dialogue, there will be massive amounts of character development. It's just that, particularly with the characters I listed, I don't care at all. Aside from Chizuru I like the characters, but I'm not in love with them. Extra and Unlimited were enough to give me a proper idea what kind of people they are, and that was enough for me, perfect in fact (well I don't know much about Akane but ehh). Chizuru wants to
be a politician
, whoopdedoo I don't care.

When it comes to massive amounts of dialogue, wit or cleverness is probably the biggest, most important thing to me after the obvious "don't be an idiot". The second thing, with lack for a better word, would be content.
With wit I mean dialogue you'd find in, say, Pulp Fiction or the tv show The Wire. Colorful and clever when it's supposed to be lighter, not so goddamn matter-of-fact when it's supposed to be serious.
With content, I refer to the amount of fluff. I get the reason for your resolve, there's REALLY no need to talk about it for the next 15 minutes, 5 minutes of which Takeru is going "she really is mature, I'm so childish/pathetic compared to her".
For the first half, I liked it but towards the end, I've felt it has become too repetitive.

The biggest thing is, of course, the reason why I'm even reading this VN. The story.

I didn't read a summary of Muv Luv and think "the characters seem interesting, I want to learn more about them" or "this vn explores some interesting themes about humanity, I want to see how deep the author goes". What I thought was "this story seems fucking awesome goddamn, I want to see what kind of twists they can come up with". If I didn't know the story is going to reach its climax soon, I'd probably be slightly more interested in all the talking.

This is going to be an absolutely MASSIVE generalization, but I usually read/watch/play Japanese stuff for the story, not the characters. The stories they write are usually more interesting than any Western stuff because they are completely fucking insane - Xenogears alone has more crazily awesome plot twists than every western game I've played in the past 4 years combined. If the characters are great, that's a massive plus, but a rare one.

And I'm rambling like a motherfucker. I probably lost my initial point somewhere. Whatever. In short, I care about the story, not the characters. My bad, I should have found out how character-centric MLA is. With Extra and Unlimited being the loong prologue, I thought Alt would be all story full power but no.

I've bought a digital copy there. It's cheaper than the disc version :) Though download (3.2 GB) is very slow for some reason. I enjoyed the art and presentation in the demo and can't wait to play the full game!
Yeah, I would have done digital, but I am such a sucker for collecting boxes. Don't know why though... I always just put them away in a drawer. >_>

Be sure to share some impressions, or a video (if you can) heh, I need all the material I can get my hands on to satisfy my hunger!

With content, I refer to the amount of fluff. I get the reason for your resolve, there's REALLY no need to talk about it for the next 15 minutes, 5 minutes of which Takeru is going "she really is mature, I'm so childish/pathetic compared to her".
For the first half, I liked it but towards the end, I've felt it has become too repetitive.

Yeah, that's a valid criticism of Kouki tending to repeat himself. Not to mention the overuse of ellipses, circular dialogue, and flashbacks.

I didn't read a summary of Muv Luv and think "the characters seem interesting, I want to learn more about them" or "this vn explores some interesting themes about humanity, I want to see how deep the author goes". What I thought was "this story seems fucking awesome goddamn, I want to see what kind of twists they can come up with". If I didn't know the story is going to reach its climax soon, I'd probably be slightly more interested in all the talking.

If you ever decide to check out the expanded universe stuff (you should, they're all pretty good), you'll realize that, for example, Takeru's story is a small part of the BETAverse (hence the "very small" phrase) but his actions can have huge implications (hence "very big"). The story is awesome in that it acknowledges that everyone in the BETAverse has their own part to play. You'd be surprised at how Kouki writes this stuff. Total Eclipse drills this point home. So while you can fully enjoy and experience the main ML trilogy for its overarching story of "beating the BETA," I highly recommend you try looking at some of the other stories/spin-offs.

aravuus

If you ever decide to check out the expanded universe stuff (you should, they're all pretty good), you'll realize that, for example, Takeru's story is a small part of the BETAverse (hence the "very small" phrase) but his actions can have huge implications (hence "very big"). The story is awesome in that it acknowledges that everyone in the BETAverse has their own part to play. You'd be surprised at how Kouki writes this stuff. Total Eclipse drills this point home. So while you can fully enjoy and experience main ML trilogy for its overarching story of "beating the BETA," I highly recommend you try looking at some of the other stories/spin-offs.

I'm planning to check some out yeah, I still liked the characters enough to see them.. do... something. Something else. Not just war and resolve all the time. Actually that was the main point of my post now that I think of it lol, the repetitiveness is what kills it. And now my initial post suffers from the very same thing I'm criticizing, too much fluff! Oh the irony

Small amounts of sleep and tons of coffee doesn't work with writing and thinking. I assume I only have a couple of hours left so I'll try to gather my thoughts by then. So I can write a proper mini-review. After thoughts. Something like that.

I'm planning to check some out yeah, I still liked the characters enough to see them.. do... something. Something else. Not just war and resolve all the time. Actually that was the main point of my post now that I think of it lol, the repetitiveness is what kills it. And now my initial post suffers from the very same thing I'm criticizing, too much fluff! Oh the irony

Small amounts of sleep and tons of coffee doesn't work with writing and thinking. I assume I only have a couple of hours left so I'll try to gather my thoughts by then. So I can write a proper mini-review. After thoughts. Something like that.

I look forward to it. I honestly think that more people should try out the ML series but you already know that there some parts that are not so... viewer-friendly, if you get what I mean.

You know, I love reading your impressions after each part you played through. You're almost there! I have a feeling you'll be surprised once more during this arc.

upandaway

If you ever decide to check out the expanded universe stuff (you should, they're all pretty good), you'll realize that, for example, Takeru's story is a small part of the BETAverse (hence the "very small" phrase) but his actions can have huge implications (hence "very big"). The story is awesome in that it acknowledges that everyone in the BETAverse has their own part to play. You'd be surprised at how Kouki writes this stuff. Total Eclipse drills this point home. So while you can fully enjoy and experience the main ML trilogy for its overarching story of "beating the BETA," I highly recommend you try looking at some of the other stories/spin-offs.
How is the Total Eclipse anime compared to the VN? Without any info, should I just go ahead and watch it or should I wait for the slim faraway chance.

aravuus

I noticed something very important about MLA.

http://i.imgur.com/NA7sKDa.png

From one tactical map. The text next to the markers says "include <stdio". "include <stdio.h>" is the first thing you include in your code when you're programming in c (or c++ I think), it's the standard input output library :V

I really want to criticize the fact that yet again, for whatever reason, every single female from the original squad fell in love with Takeru. Fucking harem bullshit. Buuuut I'm gonna leave it there because it only came up right before the characters die so it had no effect on the story and because Takeru is the only guy in the squad, probably the only man the girls get to even talk to, I guess it couldn't be totally unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom