• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoJer

If you have a Vita (or some sort of Sony android device), there is a visual novel from Japan coming to it in English soon

BMIzsZQCYAAoNx4.png:large

http://xinoro.net/mikostory1 (the site is still in Japanese, but has a lot of screens)

OnFire331

Yeah... it's that one. Even with spoiler tags I still don't like outright specifying things since it's still easy to see it by mistake.

Progressed a little bit.. and
the way they treated it made me feel a bit better about it. Usually the more sudden such an event is, the less realistically it's treated later, but everything that followed made it more bearable. I can handle it if it's like this. I've already felt plenty bad for Takeru in the beginning of MuvLuv Unlimited already, and his situation is very similar to Okabe's, not to mention the similarity of the whole setting to SnK, so I shouldn't be freaking out so much.

I just wish they stopped using the chewing sounds. Please.. stop.. using... the chewing sounds....

Just keep going, it gets worse. Shit ain't finished hitting the fan yet.

Marche90

Yeah... it's that one. Even with spoiler tags I still don't like outright specifying things since it's still easy to see it by mistake.

the way they treated it made me feel a bit better about it. Usually the more sudden such an event is, the less realistically it's treated later, but everything that followed made it more bearable. I can handle it if it's like this. I've already felt plenty bad for Takeru in the beginning of MuvLuv Unlimited already, and his situation is very similar to Okabe's, not to mention the similarity of the whole setting to SnK, so I shouldn't be freaking out so much.

I just wish they stopped using the chewing sounds. Please.. stop.. using... the chewing sounds....

Oh boy. Just wait until he
decides to "escape".

There's a good reason why this part of the novel is called the PTSD arc.

I haven't finished all routes in Rewrite yet, but for me Lucia's is the best so far.
That sunflower field scene!

OMG. That scene was so amazing! I think she's become my favorite VN heronie of all-time. Her route was just so well done! I honestly have to give props to Ryukishi07 for that route; much, much better than either Kotori's or Chihaya's.

Onto Shizuru next, hope to finish her arc before I take a nice break from my Rewrite binge with Last of Us. After Kotori's so-so arc, Rewrite is quickly becoming my favorite KEY vn...

If you have a Vita (or some sort of Sony android device), there is a visual novel from Japan coming to it in English soon

http://xinoro.net/mikostory1 (the site is still in Japanese, but has a lot of screens)

Looks kinda crappy, but I'll download it for my Vita anyways.

Tbh, I'm not expecting much from the translation. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it'll be something similar to Twilight Cherry's when it was first released on the iOS.

Blusby

Oh man, you just got a lot great stuff coming ahead of ya, be prepared for some amazing shit.

upandaway

Muv Luv Alternative

Just got through the
hive phases and beta types classes

dFwMqTR.jpg

there's detail down to the fact that monuments point to the east..
maaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

upandaway

Muv Luv Alternative

Just got through the
hive phases and beta types classes

dFwMqTR.jpg

there's detail down to the fact that monuments point to the east..
maaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Sadogashima operation

just putting that image again will be a ridiculous understatement.
cried like a little kid. this VN has downright the best speeches i've ever seen.

Marche90

up, Best part about that for me:
Takeru being a badass while fighting thousands of BETA at the same time and WINNING.
Also, just two more big arcs and you will be done with the game
. But man, just wait until you hit Operation Cherry Blossom
;_;7

Just finished Akane's route in Rewrite. It was pretty damn good, albeit darker than I expected. Not particularly looking forward to Shizuru's arc since I heard so many bad things about it but I need to finish hers to get to Moon/Terra; even though I like her as a character.

Just hoping that its better than the lackluster routes that were Mio's and Haruka's arcs in Little Busters. Those routes seriously made me feel like I was getting root canal at times...

That said time to take a break from this sob fest w Last of Us (another sob fest in its own right). I'm a sucker for sad, bittersweet stories...

For those interested in World End Economica, MangaGamer says this:
1) The translation for World End Economica was contracted by spicy tails.
2) It just so happened they used one of our translators, YukkuriS, so we've actually been discussing the release with them for a while now.
3) We recently received our final build of the game, and noticed many of the errors some have already pointed out with the release, as well as the game still featuring a Japanese UI.
4) We have already contacted spicy tails and Hasekura-sensei about these issues, as well as the original translation team.
5) Most of the issues have already been corrected, but the fixes are awaiting application.
6) While the current version available on our website does not feature these corrections (it's the same that's on DL site), we at MangaGamer guarantee that we will be providing a correction patch for free to everyone who purchases the game through us. (We cannot vouch that DL site will do the same.)
I'm skeptical that that these tweaks will be do much to alleviate things considering how poor the translation seems to be. But I haven't actually read it.

Oh, and this vocaloid VN had its translation patch released.

upandaway

Just finished

It's a shame I couldn't post reactions after that (believe me I had plenty), because I was so into it. I've been going at it for roughly 21 hours straight now. Gonna slap a spoiler tag on the whole post and go to sleep.

up, Best part about that for me:
Takeru being a badass while fighting thousands of BETA at the same time and WINNING.
Also, just two more big arcs and you will be done with the game
. But man, just wait until you hit Operation Cherry Blossom
;_;7
Yeah.. and yeah.. also yeah. And by the way, yeah.

- cried 3 more times after my last post:
Sumika/Takeru scene right before the Yokohama defense
Meiya
Sumika
(and something got into my eye with Hayase)
- felt chills and had something close to a fever during the conversation with the core
- can't really recall any time during operations where my mouth wasn't open
- almost every speech slapped me in the face with the force of 20 g-bombs

The attention to detail was the killer factor, easily. Not sure what else to say, story and everything else was great.
Music was also really amazing. Favorite track (click)

When I started everything, I didn't even know the game involved mechs or aliens. All I knew was that the first game was romance and that Alternative was apparently really good. Marimo ending made me flip out from laughter and Unlimited's beginning shut me down for a good couple of days. And then Alternative was non-stop dissecting my brain for what, 50 hours now. Man... I'm spent.

I sorta lied when I said I was done, I still have the "final episode" but I'm in no condition to continue right now, haha.. ha

Marche90

You should have read it at once. The impact will be gone when you read it. Technically it creates a good end for the main character, even if he really
doesn't remember anything from the Alternative timeline, barring crying when seeing Yuuhi and Kasumi in that timeline.

upandaway

I ended up reading it yesterday anyway, but not sure it would have changed anything (it's more like an epilogue, the ending already happened). I dreamed all about the story too.. man. That was good.

Wasn't somebody else translating World End Economica? I don't have the link to the site anymore...it was some site that mainly does manga translation. Anybody remember this?

edit: nvm I found it. Here it is.

http://vexedscans.blogspot.com/p/world-end-economica-progress.html

Sucks how he dropped the translation because of Spicy Tails and Spicy Tails did a crummy job on it.

I know MangaGamer is patching it but idk how much it'll improve the quality by.

aravuus

Incredible overrated.

Good old "overrated". Best word.

Well it's more of the same, taken to the next level. The weird stuff is still there and very much important to the story, so if you just hated how surprising the twist was, you could still like VLR.

I've finished 999 the other day. Incredible overrated. (my conclusion: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62708701&postcount=3795) Is the sequel any better? If it's like 999 I might not want to bother with it. =/

Did you hate it, or are you just reacting to the game's out of proportion hype? I liked 999 despite its awful problems with repetition and how most of the routes were useless wastes of time. It's no Ever17, but it was enjoyable, even if the praise for it is a bit out of hand.

I still need to play VLR. I've had the 3DS copy of it left unplayed for months now.

Moussuki

Banned
Is there a comprehensive list of non-erotic, non-moe, non-cute girls visual novels or do I have to check for each one if it's a fanservice-fest ? I loved Hotel Dusk and want more!

Is there a comprehensive list of non-erotic, non-moe, non-cute girls visual novels or do I have to check for each one if it's a fanservice-fest ? I loved Hotel Dusk and want more!

Try the very first post in this thread. Some of those game do contain hentai , but they aren't a moe-fest that's for sure !

Zukuu

Banned
Thanks for all the replies.

Did you hate it, or are you just reacting to the game's out of proportion hype?
I didn't hate it per se I only hated the ending twist. It just doesn't fit.

Good old "overrated". Best word.

Well it's more of the same, taken to the next level. The weird stuff is still there and very much important to the story, so if you just hated how surprising the twist was, you could still like VLR.
Well overrated based on the reaction and hype I've read about the game.

So the weird stuff is in there from the beginning? That's at least a beginning. That could actually WORK.

Yes it is, way more streamlined and the puzzles are way better (Though I personally like 99 better).

I'd say if you hated 999's ending don't bother playing VLR because the ending is even more over the top.

Uh...

Maybe I should try Hotel Dusk before? Or which other VN on the (3)DS is recommendable? Which is the best?

aravuus

So the weird stuff is in there from the beginning? That's at least a beginning. That could actually WORK.

Yeah, if the reason you disliked 999's twist was not because of the nature of the twist itself, but because how it came as a total surprise, you could still like VLR. It's fucking crazy from the get-go but at least you expect weird stuff.

And as you'd imagine from VLR, it's a sequel, the twist-related stuff is going to play a big part. Accept that the stuff works and is a vital part of the ZE universe and I think you'd enjoy VLR.

e: just play it :p

Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't hate it per se I only hated the ending twist. It just doesn't fit.

Well overrated based on the reaction and hype I've read about the game.

Uh...

Maybe I should try Hotel Dusk before? Or which other VN on the (3)DS is recommendable? Which is the best?

Try Ace Attorney if you haven't already. Or I might catch a lot of flak for this, but I really enjoyed Time Hollow and LUX Pain for the DS.

OnFire331

Just finished

It's a shame I couldn't post reactions after that (believe me I had plenty), because I was so into it. I've been going at it for roughly 21 hours straight now. Gonna slap a spoiler tag on the whole post and go to sleep.

Yeah.. and yeah.. also yeah. And by the way, yeah.

- cried 3 more times after my last post:
Sumika/Takeru scene right before the Yokohama defense
Meiya
Sumika
(and something got into my eye with Hayase)
- felt chills and had something close to a fever during the conversation with the core
- can't really recall any time during operations where my mouth wasn't open
- almost every speech slapped me in the face with the force of 20 g-bombs

The attention to detail was the killer factor, easily. Not sure what else to say, story and everything else was great.
Music was also really amazing. Favorite track (click)

When I started everything, I didn't even know the game involved mechs or aliens. All I knew was that the first game was romance and that Alternative was apparently really good. Marimo ending made me flip out from laughter and Unlimited's beginning shut me down for a good couple of days. And then Alternative was non-stop dissecting my brain for what, 50 hours now. Man... I'm spent.

I sorta lied when I said I was done, I still have the "final episode" but I'm in no condition to continue right now, haha.. ha

I agree. MLA is one of the best VNs ever, if not the best.

Some standout tracks for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jo15Tbx92Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o5d1OSXF3o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkXlh3G-ECM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S7QA8SL2gI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom