• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnburn

He's REALLY good at what he does. Shame that's probably the last Uchikoshi story I haven't read (not gonna do Never7 probably), so I guess I'll just have to patiently wait for Zero Escape 3. Gonna be sooo good!

Oh, you're in for a surprise, he actually did another game in the infinity series called 12Riven, but it has never been translated, there is a team working on the translation, but they don't seem to be making much progress lately. Oh well, I'm just glad they are actually trying

aravuus

Oh, you're in for a surprise, he actually did another game in the infinity series called 12Riven, but it has never been translated, there is a team working on the translation, but they don't seem to be making much progress lately. Oh well, I'm just glad they are actually trying

Oh snap lol, guess there's one more thing to look forward to then!

Marche90

Is Fate/Stay Night worth playing? I know the anime supposedly sucks, but is the VN good?

Absolutely. It was one of my first VN's and it blew my mind at the time.

Nowadays, it's great, but no longer my favorite. However, if you're starting to read them, it's a good one to pick.

gokieks

It's not bad, I enjoyed it, but because I knew how the story goes from watching the anime I did not finish the VN.

Watching the anime only gets you maybe 30% of what happens in the VN, and in a not terribly well done manner to boot. Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel routes are way different.

aravuus

I have to admit, this
bickering between siblings and constant talk about the gold
has been pretty boring. They've been going at it for like an hour. On with the madness already!

Hey guys, well my very first visual novel was 999 then I "played" Virtues Last Reward and I loved both of them. I also finished both Persona 3 and 4 which some say was close to a visual novel.

I'm now wondering, where do I go from here? Of course GAF was my first thought.

Hey guys, well my very first visual novel was 999 then I "played" Virtues Last Reward and I loved both of them. I also finished both Persona 3 and 4 which some say was close to a visual novel.

Dangan Ronpa maybe. For PSP but you need to play it with fan translation. You could also wait for the Vita version that gets official localization released early next year (and has Gaffer as a VA :lol).

Then there are the earlier works from the dude behind 999 and VLR. Never 7 being the first one of the series some people have played here but I personally haven't tried them out yet.

Or you could jump to the Higurashi/Umineko train that is going on right now. Higurashi supposedly is getting Steam release soon(?) too if that is your thing.

If you loved 999 & VLR, my suggestion is that you go for another game written by Uchikoshi. Try out Ever17.

If you want to try something a bit more whimsical, try the Ace Attorney games.

Knurek

Steins;Gate might be to your liking.
Seconding Phoenix Wright (and adding Ghost Trick) suggestions as well.

If you loved 999 & VLR, my suggestion is that you go for another game written by Uchikoshi. Try out Ever17.

If you want to try something a bit more whimsical, try the Ace Attorney games.
I'd second both of those. Ever17 was a bit of a drag for some with the initial four routes, I enjoyed it all the way, though. The last route is definitely worth the time commitment. And for the love of god: AVOID SPOILERS! I was spoiled and a lot of the good stuff ended up just being an "aha" rather than an "OMGWTFBBQAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

And Ace Attorney is great fun!

aravuus

Yeah, Ever17, Dangan Ronpa and Ghost Trick are the obvious ones you'll very likely love if you loved 999 and VLR. Ridiculous amounts of plot twists and wham episodes.

If you've still got energy after all that, I suggest reading Remember11, also from Uchikoshi. It wasn't at the level of Ever17 and ZE games but I thought it was still very good.

Started Grisaia and goodness is this VN great, awesome OP, character designs done by Akio Watanabe (Bakemonogatari, The World Only God Knows), and Amane is my waifu. I seriously can't wait to read more.

The only problem is that Watanabe didn't do all of them.
Also, I'm on Makina's route. Her foul mouth makes for some hilarious moments. Add to the fact that I'm at the part where Yuuji turns her from a meek, short girl
into a badass sniper

aravuus

Weirdness is finally starting to happen in Umineko and dear god these two 'mystery' songs (first one was played when
Rosa realized Maria was still outside in the rain, the second one when she's asking around who gave her the umbrelle
, not gonna search for them on Youtube in fear of spoilers) are beautifully haunting. If there's a song later that beats 999's Morphogenetic Sorrow, I think I'm gonna just go ahead and say Umineko has quite possibly the best music I've heard in a VN.

My roommate is out and the music is giving me goosebumps

cj_iwakura

This is an objective fact.

And you have not yet even begun to hear the best tracks.

All of it's in the fighting game, too.

Loading%20Jessica%201.jpg

I LOVE how good that came out.

Weirdness is finally starting to happen in Umineko and dear god these two 'mystery' songs (first one was played when
Rosa realized Maria was still outside in the rain, the second one when she's asking around who gave her the umbrelle
, not gonna search for them on Youtube in fear of spoilers) are beautifully haunting. If there's a song later that beats 999's Morphogenetic Sorrow, I think I'm gonna just go ahead and say Umineko has quite possibly the best music I've heard in a VN.

My roommate is out and the music is giving me goosebumps

Umineko has the best music in a VN ... so much that it's often called a sound novel , because the music and the text matter much more than the graphics.

And you haven't heard the best tracks yet :p

aravuus

Umineko has the best music in a VN ... so much that it's often called a sound novel , because the music and the text matter much more than the graphics.

I can certainly see why, the atmosphere is just immensely good! It's probably the combination of the music, sounds of rain and thunder and the fantastic writing, the atmosphere is just crazy tense for what's essentially a book.

And you haven't heard the best tracks yet :p

This makes me very excited lol

Anyway, after a good night's sleep I think it's time to get some coffee and continue reading. So good.

e: Jesus Kanon is a depressing guy. Only furniture, only furniture, only furniture...

This makes me very excited lol

Many of my favourite tracks are from Chiru definately. Tho there are awesome tracks in every episode. One of my favourites is right at the end of EP1.

There are also so much music in the game that I always forget some of the good ones. I took a quick look at some playlists and man there were tons of great ones I forgot even existed.

I wonder when we will be getting news about Zero Escape 3. It's been quite a while since VLR was released in Japan.

cj_iwakura

Anyone handy to help with this translation?

The Japanese text under Eva-Beatrice.

Umineko related, if context helps. The current guess is "Four Interludes".

Once we iron out these graphics, the game is pretty much ready to go.

Erigu

"間奏" would indeed be something like "interlude", but "四重章"... Maybe that's a typo and it was actually supposed to be "四重唱" ("quartet")? Or it's a pun on that word and "章" ("chapter")...

fertygo

Regarding Grisaia no Kajitsu.

Does the game have "Don't skipping text until voice finished" for auto-read? Can't find the option.

Regarding Grisaia no Kajitsu.

Does the game have "Don't skipping text until voice finished" for auto-read? Can't find the option.

There's the "voice skip" under sound options. Set it to off.

Edit: I misunderstood you, I don't see any option for that other than to just lower the auto-read advance speed.

aravuus

Many of my favourite tracks are from Chiru definately. Tho there are awesome tracks in every episode. One of my favourites is right at the end of EP1.

Hot damn that is just beautiful! Can't wait to hear it myself. It's got these weird horror movie vibes I can't really describe.

e:
blood on a doorknob, missing people,
mysterious music...
ron-paul.gif

Why so late though, goddamn it! It's already midnight and I have to get up at 7am tomorrow, can't read for too long.

Knurek

I decided to skip the voice patch, I prefer my VNs without voice. I usually find many of the voice actors plain annoying.

Umineko has a great cast so far (EP1). Maria is annoying, but she doesn't have a bad VA, she's just written that way. Seriously, she speaks/behaves like a 3 year old.

Interesting... I wonder how good it will be compared to the anime.

I've played a bit of it. The writing captures the tone and feel of the anime pretty well. Unfortunately the actual game mechanics are pretty tedious. It's something you need a guide to play and it's a pain to repeat things if you missed some trigger for the ending you were seeking. I read Ami's route and it was ok, but I don't think I'm going to keep playing it,

cj_iwakura

I decided to skip the voice patch, I prefer my VNs without voice. I usually find many of the voice actors plain annoying.

The VA is good, great even, but it's not necessary for Umi. You can always enjoy it when you play the fighting game.

(Don't do that until finishing episode 4.)

aravuus

Umineko has a great cast so far (EP1). Maria is annoying, but she doesn't have a bad VA, she's just written that way. Seriously, she speaks/behaves like a 3 year old.
The VA is good, great even, but it's not necessary for Umi. You can always enjoy it when you play the fighting game.

(Don't do that until finishing episode 4.)

It's a very highly regarded VN, no doubt it has great voice acting. As I said, it's just a personal preference. I especially dislike voiced protagonists, especially when they always seem to have the douchiest sounding guys voicing them. I think I kind of remember MLA's Takeru being absolutely unbearable.

I am a bit curious about Maria's uu-uu- though, I have no idea what it's supposed to sound like lol

e: Anyway, really liked
the first deaths, pretty goddamn gruesome stuff. Since I mentioned MLA I have to say it wasn't quite as shocking as that one scene but very good nonetheless. Gotta admit I had this huge "goddamn aww yeah it's happening!!!" smile on when I saw the blood symbol thing

Westlo

Maybe I should finally get around to finishing Umineko... end of 5 was pretty awesome....

It's a very highly regarded VN, no doubt it has great voice acting. As I said, it's just a personal preference. I especially dislike voiced protagonists, especially when they always seem to have the douchiest sounding guys voicing them. I think I kind of remember MLA's Takeru being absolutely unbearable.

Urh they gave him a voice in MLA? Btw I'm playing Muv-Luv Extra, just got past the
part where the girls cook for you, read all the winning dates for that scenario so haven't progressed much since than, lmao @ the reaction when Sumika wins.
Anyway am I even a quarter of the way through extra?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
do we know what VNs are coming to US Vita players? i'm excited for Dangan Ronpa & want to know what else i can expect to play in the next year or so.

Knurek

Play Steins;Gate, which has the greatest protag VA ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom