• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Remember11 is available digitally (in Japanese) pretty cheap which is how I got it. The fan translation was great.

Still need to play Never7 myself, but idk when I'll have time to since the next VN I plan to play is Steins once the official localization is out. It's on my to-do list though!
Lemme know when you plan on starting and I'll do the same, maybe the timing will work out for both of us.

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
For anyone considering playing Never7, back when I played through it, I remember it not agreeing too well with Windows 7; for example crashes in full screen, and graphical glitches. I managed to fix it by either using compatibility mode, or disabling Windows aero when the application is running. I'm fairly sure it was the latter that caused issues.

Also, for anyone who has played ef, how is it compared to the anime adaption?

I recently reread Umineko ep 5 and 6 with the patches this time. 5 was just as good as I remembered it, best episode IMO but 6 has way more problems than I remember. Holy fuck it is full of filler and boring parts. I found myself just skipping dialogue all the time. It also is longer than 5 and could easily be cut to half lenght without losing too much.

Worse than EP2's
meido waifu and Jessica the rock star
?
You have no idea. If the boring parts werent enough ep6 introduces the worst characters in series. Those who have read it know who I refer to.

Ep 5 has some epic friggin songs too. The whole finale of the main episode and ??? is just crazy.

Knurek

You have no idea. If the boring parts werent enough ep6 introduces the worst characters in series. Those who have read it know who I refer to.

Ep 5 has some epic friggin songs too. The whole finale of the main episode and ??? is just crazy.

Ugh... Oh well, still only halfway through Ep 3 (loving
Kyonove and OG Beatrice
, we'll see how it goes.

I was finally was able to borrow computer to continue my precious Umineko.

The 4th episode is decent, but it's overwritten and focuses on my least favroite character.

Even though Maria was pretty much neglected by Rosa, and basically went insane, I still can't say I like her. Sure I can pity her a bit, but if it came down I it, I would pick both Eva and Rosa over her. Ange is cool, but she's a bit dull. I was hoping she would be more like Battler.

The fact that the murders didn't start happening until about 5 hours in makes this episode feel longer than necessary. I like how Maria and Ange's backstories are explained, but so far almost the entire episode has been comprised of that alone. I could have done without all of Maria's story because in the end, it didn't make me feel sorry for her. Especially when she went all EVA Beatrice on Rosa.

The new character that have been introduced so far are not very memorable with the exception of Ange's Battler-esque body guard.

Not done yet, but it's likely going to be my least favorite of the first 4 episodes.

aravuus

Oh yeah lol, guess I should continue with Umineko some day soon. I literally have 15 euros for the rest of the week, possibly until the 24th, which should barely be enough for food but I can't buy that FF XIV I was going to buy soon. So I guess I'll try and pick up Umineko again later today or tomorrow.

e: scratch that, forgot i got a bit of tax returns and still got some money after paying the bills. oh well, we'll see what i'll do.

Not done yet, but it's likely going to be my least favorite of the first 4 episodes.

It was mine too. Tho it does have the best character in Umineko, G-kun!

Don't worry tho. I guarantee that episode 5 is <good>

One thing I never noticed about one character introduced in EP4 before I read about it and was like ''oh yeah'':
Okonogi was in Higurashi too.

PKrockin

Holy shit holy shit Remember11. That was so ridiculous and amazing. I almost don't care that they left a lot of stuff for you to figure out on your own, the ending wasn't as bad as I was expecting and that was one hell of a ride.

Is Kokoro seriously a college graduate with a major in criminal psychology? Could have fooled me, with the way she acts around Inubushi Keiko.

I already played 999/VLR so I thought that Ever17 would not fuck with my brain... I was so fucking wrong holy shit.

Edit: Just finished, crying like crazy fuck I love this so much.
Me too. (VLR/E17)
They fooled me twice with the same twist, those magnificent bastards. That mirror scene
had me sputtering variants of "What the fuck is this?!" to myself over and over. And such a satisfying ending. There were some asspulls, but my brain had essentially ceased functioning at that point so I didn't care. lol

Oh shoot, I forgot about Never7. Still have something to look forward to! I think I'll try out Higurashi and Umineko first though, sometime soon hopefully.

Get on that Remember11, Mauricio.
I've played all three now, sadly. Agh... to play them for the first time again...

Me too. (VLR/E17)
They fooled me twice with the same twist, those magnificent bastards. That mirror scene
had me sputtering variants of "What the fuck is this?!" to myself over and over. And such a satisfying ending. There were some asspulls, but my brain had essentially ceased functioning at that point so I didn't care. lol

I've played all three now, sadly. Agh... to play them for the first time again...

They fooled me several times at the very end even if was the same crap as 999/VLR.

Fuck, I need Zero Escape 3 already.

Honestly you were setting yourself up for disappointment from the start, it's just a fandisc lol.
idk, I like Sly but I genuinely really like Aoba too. I wouldn't want one over the other, but another game with him and his crazy shenanigans would be dead cool.

I am new to this "VN" thing, give me a break. Still wrapping my head around stuff like fandiscs and Toukens. XP

upandaway

Holy shit holy shit Remember11. That was so ridiculous and amazing. I almost don't care that they left a lot of stuff for you to figure out on your own, the ending wasn't as bad as I was expecting and that was one hell of a ride.

Is Kokoro seriously a college graduate with a major in criminal psychology? Could have fooled me, with the way she acts around Inubushi Keiko.

You still have another one! It's not that far away from a complete translation, either.

About the ending, yeah it was more than fine. I was blown away by the explanations afterwards too, but the Satoru route revealed almost everything which I wasn't expecting. Emomoto's explanation is probably the most intense science explanation I've ever gone through in a VN. (Steins;Gate was just as elaborate, but it was a lot more spread out and easier to digest)

Make sure to get the PS3 content patches for Umineko, voices add a lot to the game.
Yeah I remember you guys talking about that. The comparison screens looked really good.

aravuus

Alright! Continuing Umineko again, going by the saves, it seems the last time I played it was... 29th of October. Huh.

Surprisingly, I remember exactly where I left it.

Alright! Continuing Umineko again, going by the saves, it seems the last time I played it was... 29th of October. Huh.

Surprisingly, I remember exactly where I left it.

xNWjfug.jpg

On a mad night like this, nothing goes better with a drink than enjoying some Umineko!

aravuus

xNWjfug.jpg

On a mad night like this, nothing goes better with a drink than enjoying some Umineko!

As it happens, I was finishing a beer when I started reading Umineko again. And now I realize I shouldn't have done that. Done with studying for today, only got one exam tomorrow at 2 pm so I've got all night to play - and it was the one and only beer I had :(

I know it's almost midnight already, but maybe I should make some coffee. Not like I'll get any sleep before 4am anyway with all this uni shit going on.

e: i'm afraid of google image searching umineko in fear of spoilers - how does battler look like in the non-patched version?

Man, OG Umineko has the best expressions.
Several years later, when I look back to it, it was a wild wild ride. But it's the kind of ride that's so awesome with the payoff so miserable you'd best enjoy the journey, not the destination.

Well, Grisaia no Kaijutsu's getting a little boring to my tastes, Sharin No Kuni is on hold, same as Big Bang Age, but I wanted some feedback on Rewrite. It's supposed to be good.

aravuus

oSb2NxE.jpg

Tho can't be too harsh. Got used to them and did all 8 eps with OG sprites. Still way better than Higurashi baby scribbles :lol.

Oh :lol :lol :lol

I'm pretty happy for these art patches, to say the least

I want to put this into context: those who have played both Umineko and Remember11, which do you think had the worse payoff/ending/whatever? I can enjoy the journey even if the destination isn't very good, but I like to be prepared for what's to come.

I want to put this into context: those who have played both Umineko and Remember11, which do you think had the worse payoff/ending/whatever? I can enjoy the journey even if the destination isn't very good, but I like to be prepared for what's to come.
OG Sprites > PS3 Sprites :)

Didn't play Remember11, but if it's worst than Umineko I wouldn't even bother.

Haven't played Remember11 but as I know 999 and VLR I'll repeat myself on that Umineko isn't exactly that kind of game that depends on huge twist payoffs at the end. It's almost entirely about the journey for me.

OG Sprites > PS3 Sprites :)
Dude, I can appreciate some of the silly ones but just... no :lol

Requeim

Umineko easily. It has more of an actual ending than Remember11 but even less is actually explained to a satisfactory level. Considering how long it is, this is not a good thing. Still worth it though, the music and atmosphere is very good in my opinion.

Also, play it without the ps3 patches, as it's supposed to be. You'll get used to it. Same goes for Higurashi if you aren't already done with that.

Umineko easily. It has more of an actual ending than Remember11 but even less is actually explained to a satisfactory level. Considering how long it is, this is not a good thing. Still worth it though, the music and atmosphere is very good in my opinion.

Also, play it without the art patches, as it's supposed to be. You'll get used to it. Same goes for Higurashi if you aren't already done with that.

I got used to them to be sure but I wouldn't recommend them over the PS3 ones on good concience :lol.

As for Higurashi...
QOdeZ6D.jpg

aravuus

I got used to them to be sure but I wouldn't recommend them over the PS3 ones on good concience :lol.

As for Higurashi...
QOdeZ6D.jpg

I totally understand wanting to play them with the og art but this is just... Egh. I personally feel the PS3 ones are way better in every way.

Also I already have all the episodes installed, with the patches, so I'll just keep going like this.

Requeim

I totally understand wanting to play them with the og art but this is just... Egh. I personally feel the PS3 ones are way better in every way.

Also I already have all the episodes installed, with the patches, so I'll just keep going like this.

Of course the ps3 art is better on a technical level, no one is disputing that. But the original ones have better expressions and are just more charming in general. I guess there's no going back if you're used to the higher quality artwork and the addition of voice acting, but i think the original versions are far superior :/

Kieli

Wait a second, I thought the PS3-content patch for Umineko was incomplete. I forgot where I read it, but the dude left the patch for the first 4 chapters hanging and never bothered with the last 4 chapters?

aravuus

Dunno dude, I mean just look at this

http://i.imgur.com/s904AnV.png

I don't think anyone can come up with a better face than that

Wait a second, I thought the PS3-content patch for Umineko was incomplete. I forgot where I read it, but the dude left the patch for the first 4 chapters hanging and never bothered with the last 4 chapters?

Pretty sure I installed the latter 4 chapters with a patch too but I could be wrong

Everything is patched nowdays. Sprites, voices, additional art ect.

aravuus

Aww man I love the sound of rain and wind in Umineko. It's like that site rainymood or whatever, the ambient sound of rain just adds to the atmosphere like no other.

e: and here's the mystery piano again.. mm so good

Knurek

Aww man I love the sound of rain and wind in Umineko. It's like that site rainymood or whatever, the ambient sound of rain just adds to the atmosphere like no other.

e: and here's the mystery piano again.. mm so good

Best thing is that the whole OST is just there in the BGM folder. Standard OGG files, playable by just about everything.

PKrockin

As for Higurashi...
QOdeZ6D.jpg
Hot damn. I was in the middle of reading this post on my phone when I heard someone walk behind me. Never has my thumb flown across the screen so fast as it just did to remove that image from potentially reaching a coworker's eyes.

aravuus

"A creepy chill had already rushed up their backs..."

Describes my feelings exactly, now that they have found
the second letter with Kinzo's seal. I guess it's time for the two who love each other to be torn apart! oh man

e: oh hey, first
actual on-screen corpse. that's pretty awesome, i was wondering if it all would be left to the reader's imagination.

I guess I'm getting towards the end of the 4th Episode, and this screenshot perfectly puts into words, my feelings on what's happened so far.

znkMZlL.png

Loser Flags, Dragonball references, bunny rabbit reboots, George & Jessica's (ill-fated) fisticuffs
All that within about an hour. This is by far the most ridiculous episode yet, and I have absolutely no problem with that.

I guess I'm getting towards the end of the 4th Episode, and this screenshot perfectly puts into words, my feelings on what's happened so far.

znkMZlL.png

Loser Flags, Dragonball references, bunny rabbit reboots, George & Jessica's (ill-fated) fisticuffs
All that within about an hour. This is by far the most ridiculous episode yet, and I have absolutely no problem with that.
Painfully common knowledge dude.

aravuus

Done with first episode of Umineko. It was pretty sweet, although nothing too mad happened yet. Will start the second one a bit later tonight. The tea party thing is confusing.

I like Battler but come on now, how long is he going to
keep denying Beatrice's existence.

Knurek

I like Battler but come on now, how long is he going to
keep denying Beatrice's existence.

You have no idea...
Don't be discouraged by (rather tame) 2nd EP opening chapters. It gets better, way better.

How do you like the voices? Prolly my 2nd favourite VO in VN, just a tad behind Steins;Gate.

You have no idea...
Don't be discouraged by (rather tame) 2nd EP opening chapters. It gets better, way better.

How do you like the voices? Prolly my 2nd favourite VO in VN, just a tad behind Steins;Gate.

IIRC Muntu doesn't have VA available. And I agree, EP 2 start is THE most tedious part of the WHOLE series. Reason being it throws you into a looooooong exposition part just after the ep 1 ending and just before the ep2 really even introduces what it is really about. Then again if you can suffer thru the ep 2 intro you are over the worst bores and finally start to slowly get into the main hooks of the series.

As for VA it was interesting to hear when I reread the 2 first Chiru episodes. Actually it might be more refreshing than the graphical changes even and definately different feel than just reading. Can't really decide if I prefer with or without tho. They are quite good concidering the insane amounts of dialogue the series has. I actually liked all of them with special mentions to Eva, Battler,
Erika, Beatrice
from the top of my head.

Is the dude voicing Kanon from FMA? Cause he sure sounds like it.

aravuus

Yeah I skipped the voice part of the patch, though I'm thinking of installing them after all. I can always turn them off if I dislike them anyway.

e: jesus christ japanese writers come up with the weirdest analogies. comparing a
magic-sealing mirror
to a restaurant trying to serve western food on japanese style dishes? come on now. i don't think i'll ever come to like it. and the characters seem to go "in other words" very, very frequently in this vn, explaining one simple thing in stupidly many ways. i don't like it cause it makes me feel even the author himself has no idea how to put his ideas into words.

anyway, like you said, the first couple of hours of ep2 have been boooooooooring. surprisingly liking the voice acting, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom