• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully repaired,not sure if it can be fixed or not. I really hope I get it back soon. I've resorted to watching the anime up until where I am to fill the void. It's not too terrible so far, but then again, I thought the same about the Danganronpa anime until around the 3rd episode.

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
Seems like the Kara no Shoujo hard copy is on its way, on MangaGamer's twitter they said it will be ship on the 3rd of Dec, but maybe that's the date they open pre-orders, since I can't find it anywhere.
Either way it's coming pretty soon, so excited since I've heard so many good things about it.

Edit: It's up on their website now, ships 9th of Dec. It's 45 USD, comes with a pretty case, and a BGM CD, plus the game.

I hear a lot about how great Muvluv Alternative is but I'll never get to read it because I absolutely cannot get through the first 2 VNs.

oh well, some things just aren't meant to be

aravuus

I hear a lot about how great Muvluv Alternative is but I'll never get to read it because I absolutely cannot get through the first 2 VNs.

oh well, some things just aren't meant to be

If I could do it, anyone could. I've always hated almost all pure slice-of-life anime stuff with passion, the tropes, cliches, usual plot points, humor, character relationships, all just really make me cringe all the time.

Yet I trucked through the first two ML games in a couple of days. Just read the most important routes (two almost identical in Extra, one in Unlimited iirc), read fast and they'll take you less than ~14 hours to read.

Sitrus

If I could do it, anyone could. I've always hated almost all pure slice-of-life anime stuff with passion, the tropes, cliches, usual plot points, humor, character relationships, all just really make me cringe all the time.

Yet I trucked through the first two ML games in a couple of days. Just read the most important routes (two almost identical in Extra, one in Unlimited iirc), read fast and they'll take you less than ~14 hours to read.

Though I really recommend finishing Extra just for the characters, Unlimited is almost the same for every route so just pick someone. I am a person who loves slice-of-life and silly stuff so :p Must be the reason I managed to finish Rewrite too.

Hastati

Seems like the Kara no Shoujo hard copy is on its way, on MangaGamer's twitter they said it will be ship on the 3rd of Dec, but maybe that's the date they open pre-orders, since I can't find it anywhere.
Either way it's coming pretty soon, so excited since I've heard so many good things about it.

Edit: It's up on their website now, ships 9th of Dec. It's 45 USD, comes with a pretty case, and a BGM CD, plus the game.

Let us know the quality of the case, some of them (I'm looking at you Demonbane) have been less than spectacular.
Also, this is a great game, but I couldn't continue playing it because of
Orihime :((((((((((

I couldn't last 10 minutes and you expect me to make it through 14 hours?

Muvluv extra was everything I hate about anime/manga distilled and refined into its purest form.

Das Ace

I couldn't last 10 minutes and you expect me to make it through 14 hours?

Muvluv extra was everything I hate about anime/manga distilled and refined into its purest form.

I honestly don't think Extra is that important to the overall story. It's mostly just character introduction and cheeky foreshadowing. Unlimited is vital though.

I would recommend going through Extra, but not at the detriment of getting to the sequels. If you really must, you can ctrl your way through the story at your leisure.

upandaway

I don't think there's much point to going through Extra when he hates it that much. There's a certain line where if you go past it, you just become focused with how much you don't want to be doing it and it's not a nice feeling.

Best choice would be to wait until he feels like he can read something he doesn't like without taking it too hard (time kinda helps swallowing the pill).

fertygo

I only read one key route in extra, and just skipping through the Sumika route (eventually back for kanchou route though, eh)
I think its worth it after you reach unlimited..

cj_iwakura

Finished Episode 1 of Higurashi. Well, that escalated quickly. Too early to say if I like it more than Umineko, but not yet.

upandaway

Just started Remember11 today. Things got crazy waaaaaay earlier than I expected, compared to Ever17, haha.

edit: man, if
Kokoro finally acknowledges that she's in SPHIA while Yukidoh is in the cabin, why isn't she trying to get help for the people in the cabin? I'm considering the "twist" that the two events aren't happening at the same time, but still.

edit 2: welp, spoke too soon.

ooooooohhhh crap,
cabin-Yuni remembered Kokoro saying she doesn't like pineapple in SPHIA.
oh man oh man oh man oh man oh boy oh man

Marche90

I feel kind of silly by this: everyone is reading serious VN... yet here I am, reading Ikikoi (a Slice-of-life VN). I won't lie, I'm enjoying it way too much (Tsumugu has become one of my favorite characters ever, waifu-tier), but reading the last few pages... welp ._.

Also, I read ShiniKiss last month. Totally unremarcable, since I can't recall that much about it now. Even the MC's name is gone from my memory lol

I feel kind of silly by this: everyone is reading serious VN... yet here I am, reading Ikikoi (a Slice-of-life VN). I won't lie, I'm enjoying it way too much (Tsumugu has become one of my favorite characters ever, waifu-tier), but reading the last few pages... welp ._.
If it's a good Slice of Life VN, I'm definitely adding it to my list.

As much as I enjoy mystery and mindfucks, I love chill, SoL stories. That goes for both VNs and anime

upandaway

This is reminding me of Chaos;Head, in the sense that I remember how exhausting it is to have question marks keep piling on top of each other with no end in sight. Every single explanation I can think of is broken, and the MCs are doing even worse than me trying to reason it out (forgetting details that contradict the base of their theories). It makes me happy that I can predict the obvious things like
Yomogi's son being killed by Inubushi, that Utsumi was related to Yomogi in some way, etc
even when I know they were really predictable.

By the way I'm with ya'll on SoL. It's pretty great.

PKrockin

This is reminding me of Chaos;Head, in the sense that I remember how exhausting it is to have question marks keep piling on top of each other with no end in sight. Every single explanation I can think of is broken, and the MCs are doing even worse than me trying to reason it out (forgetting details that contradict the base of their theories). It makes me happy that I can predict the obvious things like
Yomogi's son being killed by Inubushi, that Utsumi was related to Yomogi in some way, etc
even when I know they were really predictable.

By the way I'm with ya'll on SoL. It's pretty great.
I'm playing Kokoro's side of R11 for the first time right now, too. This is batshit insane and I love it. I ran off to work with 3 hours of sleep today because so much shit was hitting the fan I couldn't stop playing last night. It's not letting up a bit.

Also, the Heuristic track kicks ass.

upandaway

I'm playing Kokoro's side of R11 for the first time right now, too. This is batshit insane and I love it. I ran off to work with 3 hours of sleep today because so much shit was hitting the fan I couldn't stop playing last night. It's not letting up a bit.

Also, the Heuristic track kicks ass.
Yeah it's just crazy. Kokoro too (didn't even know the other route was, well, but now I know), according to the pause screen I'm at 25%. Just got
killed 3 times in a row after getting locked outside
. Crazy things happening everywhere. This is exactly the opposite of E17, and pretty much every adventure VN I've played yet, in terms of pacing.

edit:
all these dead ends, i can't hold them all.

for some insane reason, the most life risking choices are always the ones that don't kill me

upandaway

.....what?

WHAT?

WHY ARE THE CRED- WHAT?!

WHAT!!!

edit: scenes: 66/154
you wouldn't believe how relieved i am right now sheesh SHEESH MAN SHEESH

Knurek

Can anyone point me to a step-by-step guide to reading R11? I'm doing Umineko ATM, and the lack of choices is so damn refreshing, you can just concentrate on story and not on 'if I choose this option, will I get dead-ended right now or 10 hours in?'.

A guide that marks the 'dead-end' choices and points you into correct path would be awesome.

aravuus

Haha, remember to be mentally prepared for dat ending upandaway and PKrockin

Can anyone point me to a step-by-step guide to reading R11? I'm doing Umineko ATM, and the lack of choices is so damn refreshing, you can just concentrate on story and not on 'if I choose this option, will I get dead-ended right now or 10 hours in?'.

A guide that marks the 'dead-end' choices and points you into correct path would be awesome.

http://erogedownload.com/walkthroughs/remember-11-walkthrough/

Regular walkthrough, with bad endings on the second comment. This is what I used when I played R11.

Also, there's a bad ending you guys should really get, quoting the reply I got when I was reading R11, going by the walkthrough I posted

It's Satoru's #57, DON'T READ THAT ONE RIGHT NOW, massive spoiler. Choose any option except the right one. When you're on day 7, read #56, and when you get to that number it's safe to check #57

upandaway

But really those last couple of hours were just nuts. I can't stand the slightest cold so it was hard just reading those descriptions.

Anyway I guess I'll replay with all the choices I didn't make before, then go to sleep and start the next chapter tomorrow. I don't think the flow of the choices is worthy of a walkthrough at all, so yeah. They all
either lead to death immediately or not at all, so you can just go back one choice and choose something else.
All that matters is to save at every choice, really.

Burnburn

Feels good to read more R11 impressions, it's my favourite Uchikoshi game.

Have fun you guys, and if you have more questions after the real ending, try to google around a bit for the answers. Reading the TIPS helps too

PKrockin

.....what?

WHAT?

WHY ARE THE CRED- WHAT?!

WHAT!!!

What an ending, huh? lol

seriously what the fuck? was there a magnetic pole reversal or some shit?

ErhCQFP.jpg

For extra fun try to summarize the events of the game for someone else who's never played it. My friend thinks I was making it up as I went. lol

But really those last couple of hours were just nuts. I can't stand the slightest cold so it was hard just reading those descriptions.
Yeah, it's cold as hell here and I've been stranded in a blizzard with no power for days before, so I was really into those scenes.

Anyway I guess I'll replay with all the choices I didn't make before, then go to sleep and start the next chapter tomorrow. I don't think the flow of the choices is worthy of a walkthrough at all, so yeah. They all
either lead to death immediately or not at all, so you can just go back one choice and choose something else.
All that matters is to save at every choice, really.
The game even quicksaves at every choice I believe. Or you can set it to.

I'm reading the Ever17 LP, and damn this is good even if it took a while to actually get interesting.
Yeah, just gotta push yourself through the slower slice of life stuff. It gets better and better.

.....what?

WHAT?

WHY ARE THE CRED- WHAT?!

WHAT!!!

Yah, first time I played r11 I was like ummmmmmmmm WTH. Still don't quite understand what happened at the end to this day, but everyone has his or her own theory I guess....

Dunan

Question for you VN fans: I've got a 12-hour plane flight next week and was thinking about bringing along the PSP and playing one of these games.

I've never played a Steins;Gate orChaos'Head game; which is good for someone unfamiliar with that universe?

Japanese leven can be as difficult as you like; I'll manage.

I still have Time Travelers to finish, along with Ever 17, so I might just stick with those if there's nothing else worthy. But I spotted Steins;Gate (the "main" one, I think) for ¥2500 yesterday and was this close to buying it.

Question for you VN fans: I've got a 12-hour plane flight next week and was thinking about bringing along the PSP and playing one of these games.

I've never played a Steins;Gate orChaos'Head game; which is good for someone unfamiliar with that universe?

I still have Time Travelers to finish, along with Ever 17, so I might just stick with those if there's nothing else worthy. But I spotted Steins;Gate (the "main" one, I think) for ¥2500 yesterday and was this close to buying it.

Chaos;Head is the first entry into Nitro's "science" series, so take that for what you will...

upandaway

Satoru is rocking out the logic, really hard. He's so thorough, it feels like I don't have to do any thinking myself (even when I know I will have to come the ending, haha).

So far not too much new information, it feels more like this route was meant to be available from the start along with Kokoro in the style of E17, but I only just started (~3 hours) so I dunno.

@ Dunan, neither of those fits with the time span of your flight so maybe they're not good fits. C;H will take double the time, and S;G will take double the time of the double the time. They're independent but some people say S;G references C;H in insignificant portions.

Edit: Well now. As far as I can see, the only way to explain
Yuni is that his bodies switched, but one of the bodies got copied the consciousness of the other, the Yuni right before the crash.
But that's just way too convoluted to conveniently happen, so I'm completely lost.

upandaway

OCEANS FOR ME

OCEANS FOR YOU

I CAN'T BELIEVE, THAT OCEANS ARE HERE TO BE, WITH ALL THE GLEE, OF YOU AND ME

----

edit: okay i just went through
the enomoto

#cantbreathe

closer013

Is the OST any good?
Hopefully my copy doesn't take too long to arrive.

It's a "Special BGM Collection" and contains:

01 ES
02 Lilac
03 Fairy's Dance
04 Moon World
05 Cherry Blossoms
06 Days
07 Neanis no Tamaho
08 Kara no Shojo
09 Despair
10 Paranoia
11 Ruri no Tori (Short ver.)

I haven't listened to it yet because I know nothing of the game. The art is gorgeous though.

upandaway

Okay.. done (+1 hour of calming down). Phew!

Well yeah, that sure was an ending. The teases in the ending (Inubushi being Inubushi and Satoru not being Satoru) weren't even the things I was confused about, they were obvious, and I realized the truth about them both long ago. It definitely feels like there should be another, true ending after this, that lays out the Yukidoh Plan, deals with "the bad guys" and alpha and resolves everything for good, possibly after the current ending like in Steins;Gate.
I have my suspicions regarding the unsolved stuff but it feels so weird not to have the answer laid out in the VN. That said, the ending is definitely a Good Ending, and it's satisfying, so that's already a lot more than I expected coming into it. Time to read some explanations.
By the way, Uchikoshi's token douchebag is always super annoying, but Lin is really the worst of all his VNs. Just saying.

Anyway that was pretty amazing, loved every second. The twists were crazy, the tension was crazy, and HOLY CRAP IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE LOGO, THE 3 CIRCLES, OH MY GOD IT WAS THERE ALL ALONG

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

edit: read the explanations in http://explainremember11.wordpress.com/
whooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
that's smaaarrtttttttttt
i really wanna read the "level 3" stuff too.. oh man.. :(

So according to the latest JLIST email, Peter is currently performing final checks on the Steins;Gate LE box and they are hard at work to get the game released early 2014. I honestly can't wait for it....looks like I'll be finally taking a break from FFXIV during that time :).

Yuuichi

S;G and C;H are independent but take place in the same universe, there are some nods to people who have played C;H in S;G, but that's it. S;G was in my opinion the far superior game, but I still liked both.

Ra1den

I wouldn't play Chaos;Head on an airplane. That game is all about the atmosphere. You should be playing it in a dark room at night...alone.

Semi related note, I may be the only person who likes Chaos;Head more than Steins;Gate. It was an amazing experience. It's probably better to play C;H first, but its not essential.

upandaway

I wouldn't play Chaos;Head on an airplane. That game is all about the atmosphere. You should be playing it in a dark room at night...alone.

Semi related note, I may be the only person who likes Chaos;Head more than Steins;Gate. It was an amazing experience. It's probably better to play C;H first, but its not essential.
I really liked C;H. The whole thing with delusions was amazing.

I already played 999/VLR so I thought that Ever17 would not fuck with my brain... I was so fucking wrong holy shit.

Edit: Just finished, crying like crazy fuck I love this so much.

I already played 999/VLR so I thought that Ever17 would not fuck with my brain... I was so fucking wrong holy shit.

Edit: Just finished, crying like crazy fuck I love this so much.

Go play Never7/Remember11 now :).

That being said, the twist in Ever 17 >>>>>>>>>>>> 999/VLR. Maybe it's because I played Ever17 first, but the first time I heard of
B/W in Coco's route
, my jaw dropped literally. It's this single twist that actually got me into VNs in the first place.

upandaway

Oh shoot, I forgot about Never7. Still have something to look forward to! I think I'll try out Higurashi and Umineko first though, sometime soon hopefully.

Get on that Remember11, Mauricio.

Oh shoot, I forgot about Never7. Still have something to look forward to! I think I'll try out Higurashi and Umineko first though, sometime soon hopefully.

Get on that Remember11, Mauricio.

Still need to play Never7 myself, but idk when I'll have time to since the next VN I plan to play is Steins once the official localization is out. It's on my to-do list though!

Tizoc

Remind me what games make up Ever 17 and its series again please?
Also were they ever officially localized in English?

Burnburn

Infinity series is: Never7, Remember11, Ever17 and 12Riven.

I think the only one that got an official translation is Ever17

Edit: 12Riven is the only one not given a fan-translation yet, but it's in the work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom