• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

I think E17 has one of the best openings in a VN (that part up until the first choice), really. I remember being so hyped when things started going crazy and mysterious.

R11 had that too, not so much in 999 and VLR.

I think E17 has one of the best openings in a VN (that part up until the first choice), really. I remember being so hyped when things started going crazy and mysterious.

Not to mention some of the best music in a VN. It really helped setup the insane ambiance within the game :).

aravuus

I'm the opposite lol. Started Ever17 like 3 or 4 times until I finally stuck with it. I did start 999 once before playing it properly too though, and stopped after a couple of hours.

upandaway

I'm the opposite lol. Started Ever17 like 3 or 4 times until I finally stuck with it. I did start 999 once before playing it properly too though, and stopped after a couple of hours.
That's like a condition for you starting a VN though, it doesn't count

grim-tales

I think
I'm onto something with the theory about You's mom but not sure! I know 'all will be explained' in the true route.. I'm sure Blick Winkiel is the player a la ? in VLR

I want to know more but kinda feel like taking a break, I only did 1 route and even that felt like a whole game's worth of stuff in places.

Grim-tales theories are so entertaining ..

Watching him trying to find clues and all.

He's not gonna last when he' ll be on the true route.

popcorn.gif

This
Blick Winkel I heard being mentioned is the player, right?
Also I looked up the meaning of 'Himmel' and it means 'Heaven' or 'Paradise' or something like that...

EDIT: HOLY CRAP

You's epilogue... I think I get it... You's 'mother' is actually You herself grown up, the younger You jumped into the future or something. You is actually like 33, not 18

tumblr_mm73leUTFD1ry5bvco1_400.gif

Just saw this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwhV9CJpOiM

The worst/best is yet to come! >:)

This
Blick Winkel I heard being mentioned is the player, right?
Also I looked up the meaning of 'Himmel' and it means 'Heaven' or 'Paradise' or something like that...

EDIT: HOLY CRAP

You's epilogue... I think I get it... You's 'mother' is actually You herself grown up, the younger You jumped into the future or something. You is actually like 33, not 18

Just keep cllicking...it gets even better :D.

upandaway

Finished Tsukihime-Hisui

Well... dang.
That really did get crazy. I saw the childhood switch coming from pretty much the very first flashback, haha. The other stuff got me though. Especially that epilogue twist.
It's a bit tiring to go through the same reveals every route before we get to what matters, especially when they take up most of the route.. but once those are done, it's easy to focus on the good stuff. Still it makes me wish the routes were layered better to customize the progression a bit per route, the slow burn in the bed was pretty slow.

No clue what to expect from the last route. And to boot it's layered after Hisui's route, so I'm really excited.

*ahem* I also have an announcement to make. While reading Tsukihime and experiencing a near-death experience, I have upgraded, and I gained the complete immunity to characters keeping secrets for silly reasons. This new ability shall surely prove useful for VNs going forward. In the event that I succumb to inversion while trying to control this power, please kill me before I hurt those I love.

On Sora's path now, I meant it to be Tsugumi's but oh well :D

Of the main route paths this and Tsugumi's were probably the most frustrating, though that was probably because I was playing it without internet at the time and kept being hammered by the bad endings over and over without really indication as to what I was doing wrong. Such is why guides exist.

grim-tales

Just noticed something..

(Sora's path): You has just said her full name - Yubiseiharukana Tanaka.
But in her own route, she said her name was Yubiseiakikana Tanaka...
Haru is spring right? Aki is Autumn.
I wonder if there is something to my earlier theory...

Hmmm....

images

aravuus

That's pretty observant. I'm bad with names so I never noticed the difference.

e:
she was literally just "yub-something" to me
(ever17)

Just noticed something..

(Sora's path): You has just said her full name - Yubiseiharukana Tanaka.
But in her own route, she said her name was Yubiseiakikana Tanaka...
Haru is spring right? Aki is Autumn.
I wonder if there is something to my earlier theory...

Hmmm....

images
Nice catch! I think that went over my head unnoticed.

Try and enjoy Sora's route for what it is. From what I remember, it's not very reveal-heavy.

Huh, WORLD END ECONOMiCA is on Greenlight.

I recall that the original release was a mess with a poor script, I wonder if they fixed it at all for this.
That's nice! More VNs on Steam.
I remember reading the first episode and liking it a lot despite messed up translation.
Hope we'll get the 2nd part in English in the near future, I want to see the rest of the story.

That's nice! More VNs on Steam.
I remember reading the first episode and liking it a lot despite messed up translation.
Hope we'll get the 2nd part in English in the near future, I want to see the rest of the story.

There is a response in the comments:
Aoi Arika [author]
Hello guys from Director of SpicyTails.
This one is properly translated one, not the one which upload at MangaGamers and DMM.
I'm working on the patch.
I also upload to other site and our web too.

So hopefully this release will be much better.

grim-tales

Might be a typo, like all those you think/kidink cases, right?
Right?

I've noticed a few typos in the game which are actually pretty bad. Its not exactly an Ingrish translation but still, sometimes you get random "?"'s in boxes and letters or spaces missing...

creid

That's pretty observant. I'm bad with names so I never noticed the difference.

e:
she was literally just "yub-something" to me
(ever17)
It's funny, whenever I noticed something like that I just assumed it was a translation error. There seemed to be a lot.

I've noticed a few typos in the game which are actually pretty bad. Its not exactly an Ingrish translation but still, sometimes you get random "?"'s in boxes and letters or spaces missing...
Now that you mention it, I think there was translation/typo patch out there. Did you get that?

upandaway

what is even going on man

just what is happening

edit: phew. finished! (tsukihime/eclipse)

awwwwwwwwwwww
good ends, man. you know i like good ends. man... MAN. i love good ends.

Couldn't Shiki kill the Shiki inside Akiha? I was kinda waiting for that to happen. Oh well, whatever! That ending was just sunshine, I swear. Whew! I'm all happy now.

So yeah haha that was great. Definitely see similarities to F/SN, but it was a lot more subdued and homey. I like it a lot. Also, that title theme is really good.
The story went in a lot deeper than I expected, I have to say. I am satisfied.

grim-tales

Its weird that(Ever 17)
In Takeshi's route he doesnt have a voice but The Kid does. In the Kid route, its the other way round.
Theres something odd about Coco, we see her at the start in Takeshi's route, not in The Kid's though?

upandaway

Its weird that(Ever 17)
In Takeshi's route he doesnt have a voice but The Kid does. In the Kid route, its the other way round.
Theres something odd about Coco, we see her at the start in Takeshi's route, not in The Kid's though?
A lot of VNs have no VA for the POV character. Don't think about it too hard.

Spoilers for the other guys (don't ever click this, grim):
Sike! It's pretty clear they did that because otherwise it would give away the twist. Ya'll don't even hint at it though, he's already suspecting most of it so a little push will seal the deal.

Back to this btw:
Off the top of my head: Tsukihime Plus+Disc and Kagetsu Tohya.

There's also the Manga to Tsukihime. Avoid the anime at all costs: it doesn't exists, after all.

The Melty Blood fighting games have a VN portion that is essentially a sequel story.

If you want anime, just watch the excellent Carnival Phantasm.
Could you guys tell me what I'm supposed to do now? I finished the thing, so like, what's the order to go about these, if they're even worth it at all, if they're long, I don't know anything. I feel like looking it up will risk spoilers so I have to ask here. Do we know if the remake will include these things?

About Carnival Phantasm, how much material does it use? Am I clear to watch it if I only have F/SN, F/Z and Tsukihime under me?

Could you guys tell me what I'm supposed to do now? I finished the thing, so like, what's the order to go about these, if they're even worth it at all, if they're long, I don't know anything. I feel like looking it up will risk spoilers so I have to ask here. Do we know if the remake will include these things?
Read Kagetsu Tohya and the Tsukihime Plus+Disc if you want some Tsukihime side stories. Neither are long, though Kagetsu Tohya has a crazy complicated branching tree, so you'll want to look at a guide. Melty Blood probably isn't of interest unless you are into fighting games. If you want more Nasu set in the same universe with different characters, go watch the Kara no Kyoukai films.

About Carnival Phantasm, how much material does it use? Am I clear to watch it if I only have F/SN, F/Z and Tsukihime under me?
Carnival Phantasm is mostly FSN and Tsukihime material, with some Melty Blood and Kagetsu Tohya characters. And there is one bonus episode that relates to Fate/hollow ataraxia. F/Z isn't in there except for one cameo scene and there's no Kara no Kyoukai material. You should be fine.

upandaway

Read Kagetsu Tohya and the Tsukihime Plus+Disc if you want some Tsukihime side stories. Neither are long, though Kagetsu Tohya has a crazy complicated branching tree, so you'll want to look at a guide. Melty Blood probably isn't of interest unless you are into fighting games. If you want more Nasu set in the same universe with different characters, go watch the Kara no Kyoukai films.

Carnival Phantasm is mostly FSN and Tsukihime material, with some Melty Blood and Kagetsu Tohya characters. And there is one bonus episode that relates to Fate/hollow ataraxia. F/Z isn't in there except for one cameo scene and there's no Kara no Kyoukai material. You should be fine.
Alright sounds good. I remember reading that the Kara no Kyoukai films are confusing if you just watch them in order? Well whatever no rush, I'll get to it all eventually.

fertygo

Alright sounds good. I remember reading that the Kara no Kyoukai films are confusing if you just watch them in order? Well whatever no rush, I'll get to it all eventually.

Its not confusing at all even if you following episode order IMO, each movie is episodic just in non-linear order until movie 5.

grim-tales

Playing Sora's route now.
Not many mysteries but... just got to the bit where the gang play Kick the Can.
If everyone is in the Ruins, whats the Kid doing there? Didnt he start counting? :s

Tizoc

For my own future reference:
What are the most recommened mystery-themed visual novels, preferably ones without any dating sim elements?

What are the most recommened mystery-themed visual novels, preferably ones without any dating sim elements?

Higurashi and Umineko come to mind but they are long.

I too would be interested if someone know some other mystery VN:s.

Knurek

Phoenix Wright series
Ghost Trick
999 and VLR
Kara no Shoujo maybe (but play this one with a walkthrough, there's shitload of stupid dead ends)
I/O whenever that gets a patch.

Finished Yumiko's route in Grisaia no Kajitsu yesterday. I'll be damned if I said I didn't find the ending D'AAAAAW-worthy. I'm still convinced though that Yuuji is a borderline Gary Stu - but that's really the only thing I have against his awesome character. The way he just goes into a route and mostly solves the girls' problems is kind of a letdown after seeing this trope get demolished in Katawa Shoujo.

I'm currently on Michiru's route.

And GatDamn.
What the hell is going on with her? Why does she suddenly get possessed out of the blue?
What happened that made her so insanely dumb? What? Why? How?

And lastly: Where's my Meikyuu translation?!

aravuus

Kara no Shoujo maybe (but play this one with a walkthrough, there's shitload of stupid dead ends)
I/O whenever that gets a patch.

These two are new to me, gotta add them to my to-do list. I'm in the middle of a new FF Tactics playthrough, halfway through G-Senjou and also reading an actual honest to god book too though, so it'll have to wait for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom