• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Chaos;Head has one trippy OP. (It's free on JPSN at the moment.)

How's it hold up to Steins? And is the PC translation passable? I heard the anime is no-go.

Speaking of the OT, maybe we should think of some names! My personal choice would be:

Steins;Gate |OT| Rated M for MADDO SCIENTISTO

I'm So Cool. Sommabitch!

aravuus

C;H was great, but nowhere near close to S;G - and this is going by the Steins;Gate anime, which most think is (a bit) worse than the VN. I have yet to read it.

Definitely worth a read, but it's nothing like S;G.

cj_iwakura

C;H was great, but nowhere near close to S;G - and this is going by the Steins;Gate anime, which most think is (a bit) worse than the VN. I have yet to read it.

The translation was never finished, I heard. It's basically like S;G's?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The translation was finished it's just a pain to install since they never released a proper auto-installer since Jast announced their deal with Nitro+ a few days later.

Yuuichi

The translation was never finished, I heard. It's basically like S;G's?

It was completed, but not fully debugged and QC'd due to the possibility of a domestic release. I should actually replay it, it was something else.

I should also really get in that S;G pre-order, but I keep spending my cash on other VN's.

Tizoc

Baby steps bro, baby steps.
We newcomers get mind blow by C;H, it's selling well, S;G gets localized and our minds go into supernova, let those of us who never played it enjoy C;H for now.

grim-tales

Its a good thing I'm doing You first then :D
I'm going to read G Senjou no Maou afterwards, which seems highly rated on here too.
Does that have some mystery in it?

grim-tales

Hmmm...
Maybe some people are right, and I shouldnt have played 999/VLR before this... You is looking for her dad, and the name of a pharmaceutical company has been mentioned that made the LeMU computer or something like that... getting shades of Cradle Pharmaceutical here...

grim-tales

Uh-oh....
I just met a 'girl' in a lift, and nobody but me can see her?
She was there, but just disappeared... I wonder if she is an Akane-like figure from another time...
Maybe thats why the life readings keep changing.. 576.. 576...

upandaway

Just finished going through the Near Side routes in Tsukihime

I thought the Arcueid routes were pretty neat, but not too crazy, especially when I had F/SN in my memory. After that I wasn't expecting much more from Ciel's, especially since I don't like her too much, but.. surprisingly I really loved it. Where Arcueid's route felt a bit light on the detail and worldbuilding, and it felt like it ended too soon before things got deep enough into the setting, Ciel's route fixed both of those things.
From the vampire side of things, at least, everything is now covered, but the family side is still nowhere close to. I'm guessing that's what "near side" and "far side" is about. Looking forward to the other routes.
The detail feels a bit loose/vague compared to F/SN, but it's still really good. I like the universe a lot.

Just finished going through the Near Side routes in Tsukihime

I thought the Arcueid routes were pretty neat, but not too crazy, especially when I had F/SN in my memory. After that I wasn't expecting much more from Ciel's, especially since I don't like her too much, but.. surprisingly I really loved it. Where Arcueid's route felt a bit light on the detail and worldbuilding, and it felt like it ended too soon before things got deep enough into the setting, Ciel's route fixed both of those things.
From the vampire side of things, at least, everything is now covered, but the family side is still nowhere close to. I'm guessing that's what "near side" and "far side" is about. Looking forward to the other routes.
The detail feels a bit loose/vague compared to F/SN, but it's still really good. I like the universe a lot.

Far Side goes into crazier places, and yes, it does focus on the family side of things.

GAF isn't the place to mention such things.

upandaway

Hey,
I'm trying to get G Senjou no Maou to load but its not doing anything, even though I stopped Ever 17 from
You want to play G-Senjou alongside E17? Are you sure about that?
They both concentrate all of their craziness into the true route. You might get brain damage.
I actually played Saya no Uta and E17 back to back, and that pretty much took me out for a week. Never doing that ever again.

Apparently Dysfunctional Systems is on hold for now and they aren't working on a sequel.

The bad news is that we are temporarily halting game development. To put it simply, Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos did not make enough money for Dischan to survive as a legitimate business. While we were able to compensate everyone for their work on the episode, we won’t have the money to make another episode for quite some time.

Dischan isn’t dead, but it is going into hibernation. Although we never mentioned it before, Saimon “Doomfest” Ma left Dischan a few months after Dysfunctional Systems was released. I also recently let both Eric “RiceGnat” Tang and Anton “Guy-kun” Prydatko go.

This leaves myself, Terrence “Swiffeh” Smith, and Kristian “CombatPlayer” Jensen as the last remaining core team members.

The current plan is to halt game development, simplify our operations, and save our income until such a time when we have enough savings to give game development a more serious full-time effort.

It's a shame, I thought the first episode was a decent start.

grim-tales

What the..?
Sora's toes disappeared? Is she like a robot or something?
She's not human but an AI program?!
VLR was definitely taking inspiration from this game I think (Luna, I'm looking at you)....

Played Katawa Shoujo to 100%. My first visual novel and I actually enjoyed it (although some routes were way too light on choices). What would be other suggestions for other VNs in the same vein as KS? (on Mac OS X) -- i.e. good writing and characters, not overly melodramatic but serious is ok, sexual content is ok

Knurek

Played Katawa Shoujo to 100%. My first visual novel and I actually enjoyed it (although some routes were way too light on choices). What would be other suggestions for other VNs in the same vein as KS? (on Mac OS X) -- i.e. good writing and characters, not overly melodramatic but serious is ok, sexual content is ok

Steins;Gate is always the right answer.

As for ren'ai games, Crescendo, Kanon and Air are closest to Katawa Shoujo.

The problem is that he/she wants OSX games.

Hmmm. if it's a Mac without a Windows partition like mine the choices are few and far between. Try locating either old Hirameki DVD-based stuff (Hourglass of Summer, Tea Witch Society, etc.) or the indie scene with Shira Oka/other OELVNs. Other than that, not many options :X.

Or run a Windows emulator...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

KEY's stuff (Clannad, Kanon, Air) might be what you're looking for. Your choices for running it natively on a Mac are slim though.

Also, there's a KS community thread if you're interested.

How about Narcissu? I haven't read it, but I think it has a free Mac OS X version, and it looks pretty neat.

Narcissu is short (1-3 hours) but really, really good. The window's version is pretty damn buggy, though.

There is a mac binary for it from the Insani crew. Might as well dig through Insani's translation works to see if anything perks you interest too.

Haven't played Narcissu 2nd Side yet though.

Steins;Gate is always the right answer.

Isn't the S;G visual novel a retread of the amazing anime? Because I've watched that already...

Thanks for all the other suggestions! I don't have Bootcamp set up, but yeah..I may have to set up Parallels, blarg.

I did already play Narcissu...I found it way too short on choices as compared to KS. I guess I prefer the Choose Your Own Adventure kind of interactive fiction with these things.

grim-tales

Re; Ever 17

I'm thinking:
Can someone remember the haiku? Maybe I could see if there any clues in it to work out You's password for the computer.
Like VLR the twists so far seem to be the characters personalities - Sora = AI, You = LeMU employee trying to find her dad, Sara = hacker... etc...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Isn't the S;G visual novel a retread of the amazing anime? Because I've watched that already...

Thanks for all the other suggestions! I don't have Bootcamp set up, but yeah..I may have to set up Parallels, blarg.

I did already play Narcissu...I found it way too short on choices as compared to KS. I guess I prefer the Choose Your Own Adventure kind of interactive fiction with these things.

Narcissu has 0 choices, though, unless you meant to say that...

upandaway

I thought it was weird that Tsukihime was so light in CG. Now I realize that all of that work went into the sex scenes.
I think there's just as many CGs in those scenes as there are in the rest of the game, all together. It's just silly at this point.

I mean that's just silly as this point.

Marche90

I thought it was weird that Tsukihime was so light in CG. Now I realize that all of that work went into the sex scenes.
I think there's just as many CGs in those scenes as there are in the rest of the game, all together. It's just silly at this point.

I mean that's just silly as this point.

In a sense, is hard to fault them for that. It was the first work that Type-moon publicated on a big scale, not to mention that they were still a Doujin company.

The remake (whenever it releases, of course. It might mean a year or ten, sadly) should fix that.

upandaway

In a sense, is hard to fault them for that. It was the first work that Type-moon publicated on a big scale, not to mention that they were still a Doujin company.

The remake (whenever it releases, of course. It might mean a year or ten, sadly) should fix that.
Yeah I figure. It's good by itself but I could definitely go for a remake too sometime down the line.

Finished Akiha, and...
no good ending. Well, now I don't know what to think. It feels like the writers could have easily conjured some kind of reason for a good ending, like the other good endings or like FSN's good endings. I'm kind of a good ending kinda guy.

Man... I don't know. I don't know about that.

Well here's something to fix in the remake. There's no reason for this. I need my good endings.
Hell I could whip one up right now in a couple of minutes pretty easily. The scenario writes itself, basically. I don't get it, man. I don't know.

The route itself was good, it's just that one thing.

Marche90

Answering your spoillers:
technically, the good ending exists... but you have to play Kagetsu Tohya to read it. It's a short story unlockable in that VN called "A Story for the Evening"

upandaway

Oooh, I have no clue what that is. I'll look into it after I'm done, then. How much is out there related to Tsukihime beyond just the VN?

Marche90

Oooh, I have no clue what that is. I'll look into it after I'm done, then. How much is out there related to Tsukihime beyond just the VN?

Off the top of my head: Tsukihime Plus+Disc and Kagetsu Tohya.

There's also the Manga to Tsukihime. Avoid the anime at all costs: it doesn't exists, after all.

The Melty Blood fighting games have a VN portion that is essentially a sequel story.

Off the top of my head: Tsukihime Plus+Disc and Kagetsu Tohya.

There's also the Manga to Tsukihime. Avoid the anime at all costs: it doesn't exists, after all.
If you want anime, just watch the excellent Carnival Phantasm.

Ra1den

Baby steps bro, baby steps.
We newcomers get mind blow by C;H, it's selling well, S;G gets localized and our minds go into supernova, let those of us who never played it enjoy C;H for now.

I feel the complete opposite. I think chaos head was far more mind blowing than steins gate. Steins gate felt like mostly filler other than a few scenarios.

I'd take chaos head over steins gate any day.

As for the translation quality, it was very good abd even the cg was was mostly/fully edited, if you can find the most up to date one. Some guy picked up where the orig group left off and completed it.

grim-tales

Hey,
Just had a thought:
Hasnt everyone travelled in time? At the start of the game, wasnt the date 2017?
But 2019 was called "15 years ago" just now when you're finding info on You's dad... :s

tumblr_inline_mu5lb9l3aU1rg1ld5.gif

I feel so sorry for You though, that is so sad :(
And doesn't a malignant virus wiping out most of the population sound a bit like Radical-6?

grim-tales

Very near You's end now, I'm not that crazy about the romance stuff, it kinda makes me sad for some reason.
Some jokes about 'sticking it in.. thats the wrong spot' etc...

Its just putting a cap on a pen... GET YA MIND OUTTA THE GUTTA!

Very near You's end now, I'm not that crazy about the romance stuff, it kinda makes me sad for some reason.
Some jokes about 'sticking it in.. thats the wrong spot' etc...

Its just putting a cap on a pen... GET YA MIND OUTTA THE GUTTA!

Hahaha Yeah... That was hilarious when I first read it, then I realized it was not-so-cleverly disguised fanservice innuendos... -_-

And not really going to comment on you other post, since I'm foggy on some details, and don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.
(Or do I....? *Laughs evilly*)
I will say that you are going to have fun with the last route.
Details are everything in these first four routes.

grim-tales

This
Blick Winkel I heard being mentioned is the player, right?
Also I looked up the meaning of 'Himmel' and it means 'Heaven' or 'Paradise' or something like that...

EDIT: HOLY CRAP

You's epilogue... I think I get it... You's 'mother' is actually You herself grown up, the younger You jumped into the future or something. You is actually like 33, not 18

tumblr_mm73leUTFD1ry5bvco1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom