• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

These two are new to me, gotta add them to my to-do list. I'm in the middle of a new FF Tactics playthrough, halfway through G-Senjou and also reading an actual honest to god book too though, so it'll have to wait for a while.

wHAT BOok are you reading if you don't mind me asking?

aravuus

wHAT BOok are you reading if you don't mind me asking?

Of course I don't mind though I have no idea why you'd care lol. I'm reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods, it has been pretty great so far.

In fact I think I'll neglect my physics studying some more and read it right now.

grim-tales

Sora is so cute :) The scene where
Takeshi touches her through the glass is so sweet, and her attempts to speak less formally are hilarious :D 24 sounds really young to be thinking about marriage though, maybe its different in Japan?
But
Tsugumi seems so sad, she's not a pleasant person at all, in fact downright nasty at times but just got to a scene where she begs to kill herself, saying her 'soul is in chains' and she cries.. :( Now where have I heard that before..? Free the Soul?

aravuus

Sora is so cute :) The scene where
Takeshi touches her through the glass is so sweet, and her attempts to speak less formally are hilarious :D 24 sounds really young to be thinking about marriage though, maybe its different in Japan?
But
Tsugumi seems so sad, she's not a pleasant person at all, in fact downright nasty at times but just got to a scene where she begs to kill herself, saying her 'soul is in chains' and she cries.. :( Now where have I heard that before..? Free the Soul?

Nobody wants to marry a single woman over 27 in Japan iirc. Cause 27 is pretty fucking old, one feet in the grave already I'd say.

Also Tsugumi is annoying.

grim-tales

Yeah, she's pretty annoying and horrible actually.
Yikes, if 27 is old that makes me decrepit by Japanese standards :(
Now Kid has snapped - didnt expect that from him. And Tsugumi wanted to die... wasnt there something about a virus earlier? Perhaps thats like Radical-6 in VLR...

Yeah, she's pretty annoying and horrible actually.
Yikes, if 27 is old that makes me decrepit by Japanese standards :(
Now Kid has snapped - didnt expect that from him. And Tsugumi wanted to die... wasnt there something about a virus earlier? Perhaps thats like Radical-6 in VLR...
IMO, Tsugumi isn't that bad. She's unusually and unnecessarily abrasive at times, but by the end of it all, I was okay with her character. She has her reasons, that's all I'll say for now.

And agreed, Sora is really sweet. I hate that she (Ever17 and VLR spoilers)
is just like Luna. They're both such great characters, but not human, so they can't really be with the people they love. :(

grim-tales

!!
Sora reminds me of Luna in VLR in many ways - she may as well be human. Really sweet ^^
Just seen a scene where she's struggling with emotion and says she loves Takeshi but got angry when she saw him with Tsugumi (or something).. that was so sad! :(

upandaway

These two are new to me, gotta add them to my to-do list. I'm in the middle of a new FF Tactics playthrough, halfway through G-Senjou and also reading an actual honest to god book too though, so it'll have to wait for a while.
Kara no Shoujo is next on my list actually. Dunno when I'll get to it.

!!
Sora reminds me of Luna in VLR in many ways - she may as well be human. Really sweet ^^
Just seen a scene where she's struggling with emotion and says she loves Takeshi but got angry when she saw him with Tsugumi (or something).. that was so sad! :(
It gets better!
Or worse... Depends on your perspective. :p

Crap, I'm getting an itch to read both VLR and Ever17 now!There's no way I'll have time for both! (I think I'll have trouble managing one! >_<)

grim-tales

I think I can guess where this is going...
There was a computer entry mentioning Coco's name and then one that said something like "I hope my daughter hasnt forgotten what I look like.
TY

I think TY is You's dad, not Coco's. He's alive

grim-tales

In the scene where
the gang are deciding on what to call Kid, Coco just said "Kiddo's other name could be ? "

Not sure if thats a typo or not, but an interesting one.

PKrockin

Man. I'm still thinking about Remember 11. And I still get chills listening to Heuristic, when it kicks in at 1:10.

I finally see what they did there with the number of endings, too.

upandaway

Just read Higurashi 4 (it was really good)

Nuh-uh, nuh-uh, nope. NOPE! I'm not budging. I don't even care, man. It's all man-made. All of it. I have no clue how, but that's just how it is. You won't convince me!! There's no curse!!!

.....probably...

No! It's definitely man-made! I'm firm!!

edit: well holy crap.. there's a Tsukihime reference in the extra of Higurashi 4. Just what kind of crazy coincidence is that? I just read Tsukihime last week. No freaking way.

In the scene where
the gang are deciding on what to call Kid, Coco just said "Kiddo's other name could be ? "

Not sure if thats a typo or not, but an interesting one.
Seems like a typo to me... Or maybe I'm just dumb, cause I can't tell what Coco is trying to say there. >_>

Also I just remembered: if you have time, check out some of the bad endings. They don't add too much, but I remember Tsugumi/Sora's was really good!

And did you try the typo patch here? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/931349-ever17-out-of-infinity/62063804
That should clear up any doubts about typos.

Tizoc

EDIT: NVM, found the fix lol.

EDIT2: Oh yeah anyone know what's the cheapest digital ver. of Saya no Uta has been?

grim-tales

Seems like a typo to me... Or maybe I'm just dumb, cause I can't tell what Coco is trying to say there. >_>

Also I just remembered: if you have time, check out some of the bad endings. They don't add too much, but I remember Tsugumi/Sora's was really good!

And did you try the typo patch here? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/931349-ever17-out-of-infinity/62063804
That should clear up any doubts about typos.

Hey,
Yeah I got the patch and deleted the old script file, and things seemed to have cleared up a bit. Thank you :)
I think Coco means
"What could Kiddo's other name be?" But it reads like a spoiler (as if his name would wind up being Blick Winkel) so wasnt sure. I do find it weird that no one else can see Coco in (say) You's route...

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
So reading some of these ADV log lines they actually sound pretty interesting. Like, if these were the loglines for movies I'd be really interested in watching them.

Hey,
Yeah I got the patch and deleted the old script file, and things seemed to have cleared up a bit. Thank you :)
I think Coco means
"What could Kiddo's other name be?" But it reads like a spoiler (as if his name would wind up being Blick Winkel) so wasnt sure. I do find it weird that no one else can see Coco in (say) You's route...

haha I think you're being a bit paranoid. :p

grim-tales

LOL fair enough :D
Still not feeling the Tsugumi love, she's really cold and mean so far. Sora was so sweet and lovely. I liked You too, though she seemed a bit more 'normal' and realistic than Sora.

LOL fair enough :D
Still not feeling the Tsugumi love, she's really cold and mean so far. Sora was so sweet and lovely. I liked You too, though she seemed a bit more 'normal' and realistic than Sora.

You'll feel it by the end of either her route or Coco's route, if you're going to feel it at all.

upandaway

I liked Tsugumi, it's just harmless classic tsundere story (as opposed to the modern kind). It took me until the Drama CDs to "get" Sora though, before then she was a bit weird.

grim-tales

Where can you get the Drama CDs? Do they reveal more story?
I think
Tsugumi seems to know a lot more than she's letting on...

upandaway

They're small postgame side stories, only if you really want more after finishing the game. And Sora barely gets even mentioned, not to mislead or anything.

Where can you get the Drama CDs? Do they reveal more story?
I think
Tsugumi seems to know a lot more than she's letting on...
They're up on YouTube with English translations, but you shouldn't even try looking for them until you're done with the game. For now, you just need to know that they exist.

upandaway

Higurashi 5

What a twist to dump in the last second. So Oryou wasn't even? I don't, what. Oh man. What was this episode even about, I'm so confused. My head hurts. This VN is just doing whatever it wants with me.
About when Shion took Mion's place, that blew my mind, and I stupidly thought I could ride out the rest of the story since it instantly solved all the problems of episode 2. But then that last bomb dropped. Now I'm pretty much back to square 1 on the entire mystery! Dangit! haha

Some scenes had pretty crazy descriptions, but Shion was so long gone (and it was sort of a repeat of ep2) that I could take anything after the 3 fingernails. That part though, phew. That wasn't cool.

grim-tales

(Ever 17)
HOLY SHIT :eek:
Tsugumi
will never grow old (sort of)? Bloody hell, is that why the VN is called Ever 17: The Art of Infinity? That's why she healed so fast from her injury. THAT'S why she seems so cold and wants to "die" (I think)?

(Ever 17)
HOLY SHIT :eek:
Tsugumi
will never grow old (sort of)? Bloody hell, is that why the VN is called Ever 17: The Art of Infinity? That's why she healed so fast from her injury. THAT'S why she seems so cold and wants to "die" (I think)?
If you haven't reached her end yet, then the best is yet to come!

grim-tales

No I havent yet but now I wonder
If everyone's age is screwed up somehow.. or something like that? Tsugumi is always 17, The Kid thinks You was actually born 33 years ago... Coco seems to act very young for her age (she says she's in 9th grade!) so... hmmmm....

Okay, one of the things in Michiru's backstory seems just ridiculous:
She gets physically and mentally abused by her tutors. Not just one tutor, but ALL OF THEM just because her father lashes out at them.
Tell me this sort of thing would happen in this day and age.

If everyone's age is screwed up somehow.. or something like that? Tsugumi is always 17, The Kid thinks You was actually born 33 years ago... Coco seems to act very young for her age (she says she's in 9th grade!) so... hmmmm....

*eating popcorn*

The reactions are so good i can't help it and he hasn't even finished that route

grim-tales , continue.

You're already enjoying it ... you're gonna enjoy it !

aravuus

No. Yes. NO. I DON'T KNOW.

Just fucking with you.
Or am I? (yes)

(or no)

No seriously though, I didn't feel too much reading through the normal routes, or certainly nothing as strong as you. Can't wait to see the true route reactions lmao

You're already enjoying it ... you're gonna enjoy it !

lol

Anyone have impressions of Aselia the Eternal?
http://www.jastusa.com/shop/aselia-the-eternal.html

i have the game.

Aselia the eternal is game like no other ... it's kinda weird actually

First it's not a bad game
Second it's quite lenghty
Third the rpg side does have some pretty nasty challenges if you're looking for it ( so many optionnal bosses )
Fourth there are many choices, and plenty of routes

So aselia has a pretty lenghty prologue before you're in rpg mode. One thing to note is that despite the Us version being censored , it's actually not that bad, they kinda removed some mandatory hentai scenes that would throw you off the "immersion" so it's alright.
Because the immersion is actually pretty good , there is a good part of the game that is based of the world workings and how it is different.
On the story side , Aselia is pretty good ... there are things that show their age , but it's quite alright

On the gameplay side , you'll have to learn a different way to manage a party..there are several systems to learn but the game does have some tutorials that are well done.
The gameplay consist of a mix of rts and turn based battles . you'll have to conquer cities, and once conquered , upgrad them so that you're using mana. Thing is the whole mana potential of an area is limited , so the more time you take , the less mana you're gonna have making a case of "think properly when it's your turn".
When 2 opposing unit clashs, it's turn based rpg time and each party member can have 3 roles : attackers ( main offense , support & defense , and rear attacker[rear attacker can cancel some opposing unit attack , or attack themselves , or support , it all depend on the unit ). Similar to fire emblem, every unit lost in battle IS LOST forever , even the main heroines , leading to some pretty forced routes changes at times.( unless the survival of that character is in the mission objectives) The game however will give you more recruits to compensate.
The gameplay side of aselia is clearly good ..but it can be pretty frustrating , because said gameplay is also affected by the route you are on

Now , the graphics.
It's aselia worse point , it hasn't aged well ..it's a distinct art style that work mostly , but don't expect something up to today standards.

Game is voiced in japanese. ( and in the in-game wolrd language too ) Your protagonist has to learn the language before he can do things ..it was actually a great way to do world building .

Conclusion:

Aselia is a hybrid srpg-vn that goes by their own rules while having a decent gameplay even if the graphics aren't up to today standards.In the screenshots you find on jast website are satisfying you , go for it ... it's very lenghty.and some route requirements will require carefull planning.

Aselia is a solid SRPG/VN hybrid. The combat is basically a turn based Ogre Battle game, automatic battles that resolve based on party formations. The VN portion isn't great, but good enough if you enjoy the gameplay.

Aselia is a solid SRPG/VN hybrid. The combat is basically a turn based Ogre Battle game, automatic battles that resolve based on party formations. The VN portion isn't great, but good enough if you enjoy the gameplay.

It's not a RTS, isn't everything turn based?

i now realise rts is not the right word indeed. Sorry about that .. it's indeed more like a Srpg
because everything is turn based.
The vn portion is often considered too long putting some people off.
i really didn't mind.

People! Talk about Ace Attorney and Zero Escape in the Real Pic January thread has made me want to play more VNs.

Other than Ever17 and the like, what other completely mindblowing VNs can people recommend? The more insane the better :D

People! Talk about Ace Attorney and Zero Escape in the Real Pic January thread has made me want to play more VNs.

Other than Ever17 and the like, what other completely mindblowing VNs can people recommend? The more insane the better :D

Chaos;Head. (Steins;Gate would be great as well, if not quite as mind-blowing.)

2 vns with a very "high" pay-off are:

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo
G-Senjou no Maou/ The Devil on the G-String

More information on them in the very first page on this thread.

PsionBolt

Higurashi 5
If there's one thing I love about a good Answer Arc, it's when it provokes more questions than it answers. Keep going, I'm loving the impressions.

It's not quite the same kind of blowing of your mind, but I'll reccomend When they Cry. It's four novels in all, each seperated into four episodes, so it'd keep you busy for a fair while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom