• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

Jay Sosa

Played the demo, the design is ugly as hell. The red haired girls looks stunning though, may pick up a cheap copy just because of her. Is she a real actress or just some CGI model?

Hixx

Jay Sosa said:
Played the demo, the design is ugly as hell. The red haired girls looks stunning though, may pick up a cheap copy just because of her. Is she a real actress or just some CGI model?

Lindsey Shaw does her voice, looks very little like her though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I bought the collector's edition because of the artbook and OST. Heavenly Sword OST was fantastic, it's a crime that they haven't released it officially.

So far I'm enjoying it.

Downsides are bad graphics and framerate (I spent most of my playing time on PC, so I'm used to higher IQ) and Monkey's movement. It's not about responsiveness, it's about intuitiveness. He's the opposite of Cole in Infamous who was able to traverse everything smoothly. Here you constantly bump in some obstacle which is slightly higher then a usual obstacle. Very irritating. Also too much time between transition in movement. Animation is fantastic though. Combat is ok.

subversus

HixxSAFC said:
'bad graphics'?

Quite easily one of the most beautiful games I've ever played..

As I said I play on PC and usually do this with 8xMSAA 16AF, textures on high, if we're talking about UE3.

DaBuddaDa

HixxSAFC said:
'bad graphics'?

Quite easily one of the most beautiful games I've ever played..
Check out the amazing screenshots from Enslaved in that "post your ridiculously awesome downsampled videogame screenshots" thread.

thetechkid

So where is the code for the OST supposed to be? Do we get an email because I checked all the packaged for a card or something and I got nothing.

Psy-Phi

Always-honest said:
so no 5.1 surround through toslink on the PS3 version. That is just... fucked up imo.
Seriously...the receiver I have can't accept audio input from HDMI unfortunately ( I should have spent more money ). I planned on playing the game today, but now I'm contemplating taking it back for the 360 version instead.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
oh Ninja Theory. No DD5.1 or DTS on PS3, yet you include an uncompressed LPCM track. :lol :lol Nice quality control.

Eurogamer Face-Off is up!

Eurogamer said:
In the final analysis, it's evident that both Xbox 360 and PS3 renditions of Enslaved have their own particular strengths, weaknesses and individual quirks. The implementation of the background streaming on PS3 clearly helps out a game like this: there are demonstrable advantages to the data streaming that are only partially matched on 360 when the game is installed on to the hard drive.

For its part, the Xbox 360 has its own plus points - generally higher frame-rates, lower levels of screen-tear, and a minor range of subtle graphical boosts. You also get Dolby Digital 5.1 as standard with the 360 version - oddly, the PS3 game only supports uncompressed LPCM 5.1 over the HDMI port, so no surround sound if you have your console attached to the amp with Toslink. Bizarre, frankly.

None of the disadvantages of either version are real game-breakers and overall either version is recommended, but if you own both consoles and have the choice of which version to buy, the Xbox 360 release is the one to get: a generally higher level of performance must surely take precedence over the occasional streaming problem.

Loved it from beginning to end and I don't really get the hate for the ending. Thought it suited the game and it could have a lot worse.

Anyway, really disappointed that they didn't build on the carrying Trip throughout the chapters, I thought at the very least it'd unlock an achievement or result in a different ending, totally wasted. :/

Platforming really opened up nicely towards the end as well, became a little more challenging with having to negotiate various hazards, still 'automated' but something they can build on for the sequel.

Even though I initially laughed it off, I'm actually really looking forward to the Pigsy DLC, thought he was a pretty interesting character and it will be nice to get some background info on him.

subversus

Damn, this game is GOOD!

Boss fight at the end of chapter five was awesome. I had such great adrenaline rush fighting him that it pushed me two chapters further. Wonderful vistas and horrible, horrible framerate. I feel like I'm trying to play Crysis on very high on GTS250 or something.

derFeef

I have had very few framerate dorps during combat (up to chapter 6) actually and the pop-in also seems not quite that apparent that I feared it would be. I have it installed on my 360 so maybe that´s why? The only few times where the framerate really drops so that the camera chugs is during loading sections/reaching a new area.

@subversus
Yeah that was quite nice, even if if it was on the easy side. I am actually struggling more with the normal enemies. :lol

subversus

derFeef said:
@subversus
Yeah that was quite nice, even if if it was on the easy side. I am actually struggling more with the normal enemies. :lol

also the final part of the bridge in chapter five was awesome. I was like "WHAT?! LET ME IN!!" :lol

The Interrobanger said:
Technically, the graphics are pretty horrible, I don't even see this as debatable. The art style is mostly decent though.

The explosions are pretty bad and there is no AA. Still not seeing the "horrible" though. Especially on the 360 version. And yes, the nice art makes it a pretty game overall. I do hate the obvious UE3 look though (e.g. the way the geometry looks).

beatbeat

Banned
If the main character is as ugly as this one is,then no matter how awesome the rest of the package is,i won't buy.who wants to play as a bird/man/bum looking thing?...looks like he smells too...and not good.

Oh, this thread continues to deliver.

I'm sad the game is over but don't feel like playing again right away. I need to find another enjoyable title like this - going from this to Black Ops for a while is a crime. Need more action/adventure.

subversus

jonnybryce said:
Oh, this thread continues to deliver.

I'm sad the game is over but don't feel like playing again right away. I need to find another enjoyable title like this - going from this to Black Ops for a while is a crime. Need more action/adventure.

Castlevania?

beatbeat said:
If the main character is as ugly as this one is,then no matter how awesome the rest of the package is,i won't buy.who wants to play as a bird/man/bum looking thing?...looks like he smells too...and not good.

You should try Nier one day :lol I don't mind the main char being ugly as long as he delivers in the game. Better than the other way round (Alan Wake says hello!
Feef, don't kill me pls
).

Ugh.. the trophy
where you have to save Trip from the rhino is so lame. Making you replay the whole chapter if you miss it is so infuriating. After missing it my second time, I ain't bothering with that again.

bubnbob

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Ugh.. the trophy
where you have to save Trip from the rhino is so lame. Making you replay the whole chapter if you miss it is so infuriating. After missing it my second time, I ain't bothering with that again.

Exit to dashboard (assuming you are on 360) if you dont get it. The achievement pops the second the cutscene starts.

V_Arnold

The Interrobanger said:
Technically, the graphics are pretty horrible, I don't even see this as debatable. The art style is mostly decent though.

You are mad.
You are insane.
You do not know the meaning of the word "horrible".

Pick one. Seriously.

subversus said:
Castlevania?

Installing the demo as we speak! I don't like to play more than one single player game at a time, I'm weird like that, so I held off and am going to give it a shot now.

DevelopmentArrested said:
but its not debatable.

This game is gorgeous imo. Not that it's the best looking game I've ever seen, and it surely doesn't perform the best/look the best in motion, but it's a visual treat imo. You don't get to change my mind.

jonnybryce said:
Installing the demo as we speak! I don't like to play more than one single player game at a time, I'm weird like that, so I held off and am going to give it a shot now.

Ha, I thought I was the only one here who did this, I just can play multiple games unless its psn game of some sort.

I can't believe people are calling this game ugly. It has some low res textures here and there but it's a bloody great looking game at times.

I think I'm up to Capter 13 or so. Good game.

Hixx

JordoftheDead said:
I can't believe people are calling this game ugly. It has some low res textures here and there but it's a bloody great looking game at times.

Seriously. I'm up to chapter 11 and I already can't wait to start over to see some of the levels again. Beautiful, beautiful game.

Canova

Banned
JordoftheDead said:

yeah, I don't understand the hate on this game. It has high production value, the combat though simple is not bad. But other aspects of the game are just incredible. level design is just exceptional

Oli

thetechkid said:
Nope, I'm still wondering how they were/are supposed to deliver them.

Well they have the soundtrack on Amazon MP3's, so I'm guessing they'll send out a code which allows access to that for free. It said within 7 days of shipping, so tomorrow or Tuesday should be the cutoff.

I'm like 8 or 9 chapter into the game since yesterday. Loving it so far. Plateforming feels like Uncharted. It's a surprise. I never thought it would be so satisfying, so smooth and fun to play. Combat is engaging. Gotta love the very cinematic and dynamic direction the game takes during these scene. Evolution through exploration is a brillant idea.

Now the bad: I can't fucking stand the UE3 renders. It's so fucking ugly. I'm crying to see this incredible art direction ruined by an engine that CAN'T MANAGE EPIC OUTDOORS what is wrong with you Ninja Theory ? You're game is ACE. You're art direction is ACE. You're design is ACE. You're landsacpes are ACE. Why would you ruined all that great visual with an engine that can't correctly render basic draw distance... Also, there's plenty of minors bugs (collision, sound, sync, volume) but basicaly, nothing game breaking.

I'm still having a blast here. I just can't stop thinking (what the game would have looked like running on Heavenly Sword's engine ?) Also, I'm kinda disapoint that the back story (what happened to earth ?) hasn't been more detailled by any means so far.

Also, I love Monkey. His animation, his design. HIS FACE. Thank you Serkis.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm really impressed with what they do with the camera in this game. I like that a lot.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just got all 1000/1000 achievements. Kind of a real pain in the ass actually, just the collection stuff mostly with some deviously hidden orbs on certain levels(Chapter 5 can lick my ass). Backing out to the main menu just to check your percent progress was an awful design flaw. (Also anyone stuck on the 'Rhino chase in 35 sec' achievement...do it on Easy, much easier to catch in time).

I will say that my issues with the combat somewhat lessened tremendously on the lower difficulties. My initial run on Hard mode was filled with bouts of frustration(mostly camera-related), but with a maxed out Monkey on a lesser difficulty, it was actually very fulfilling to just wade into a group and swing my staff without much repercussion.

I dunno, overall it was a pleasant game, but design -wise feels stuck in the early aught's. From the shallow combat, constant handholding, and archaic collecting. If you have a craving to revisit the days of Jak and Daxter 1, this is a close proxy to that experience. Fun for a weekend romp, but not much beyond.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So Is this even playable on ps3 during the second half? The framerate is fucking atrocious on 360. The second half is so much less polished.

Seriously, I'm crushed by this game. I really enjoyed half of it, but there are so many frustrating moments. In particular, I found that all too often you were thrown into combat with a mix of horrible framerate, tearing, bad camera angles, over aggressive enemies, and other elements all at once.

I found it odd that the framerate would essentially dive everytime enemies appeared on screen during the latter half. It was crazy how things would be smooth until they showed up on screen. The Grand Theft chapter also ran horribly the entire time. That stuff really drew me out of the experience. :(

Last chapter was neat, but again, the final part of the battle was filled with random deaths outside of my control.

That said, I definitely enjoyed the ending. It was presented beautifully and left me feeling good about the overall experience.

It's just a shame Ninja Theory cannot seem to create a game that doesn't have serious performance issues.

I have had very few framerate dorps during combat (up to chapter 6) actually and the pop-in also seems not quite that apparent that I feared it would be. I have it installed on my 360 so maybe that´s why? The only few times where the framerate really drops so that the camera chugs is during loading sections/reaching a new area.
Framerate isn't bad during the first six chapters. Just you wait, though, the second half of the game runs like dogshit. In fact, it basically ends up running similar to the PS3 demo and often much worse. Choppy framerates and constant tearing both become the norm. :\

jediyoshi

beatbeat said:

There's so much about this post that makes me love the internet.

dark10x said:
Framerate isn't bad during the first six chapters. Just you wait, though, the second half of the game runs like dogshit. In fact, it basically ends up running similar to the PS3 demo and often much worse. Choppy framerates and constant tearing both become the norm. :\
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps
(Today, 02:12 AM)

I agree with you though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
I'm really impressed with what they do with the camera in this game. I like that a lot.
In the demo, which at the moment is all I've played, I was kind of pulled-out of the experience because of it.

The camera screamed "UNCHAAAAAAAAAAAAARTEEEEEEEED!!!" but because it wasn't quite at that natural, movie-like quality it was kind of jarring to me.

Of course, I'm talking about the first fifteen minutes.

subversus

Y2Kev said:

Looks good, but really distracting in combat. For example, I can't see how close is the enemy when I'm in stunt charge position. Love close-ups when you barely make it to a ledge though.

Darkkn

This game really is more than sum of it's parts. None of the game mechanics are particularly great, but still good enough not to get in a way of my enjoyment of the game. Art design is absolutely lovely and the game has that magical... thing that makes games like BGE special.

Some of the things i wish were better: Freedom of movement. It's kinda annoying that navigating the environment is so restricted. I don't like hard sp games, but more player agency in platforming/exploring is definitely needed.
UE 3. Nuke it from the orbit. NT's implementation of UE3 is not match for their amazing art design. Alot of low res textures and pop-in and what really gives it away is the unnatural UE3 lightning.. something about it just doesnt look right, especially on outdoors environment with supposedly natural lightning conditions.
Also mo-cap is not quite as amazing as it were in HS, tho still much better than in most games. Great acting and dialogue makes it seem better tho.

Anyway, great game. Totally worth buying at full price. Top 3 this year for sure.

Top Bottom