• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

fernoca

Well, took the game to a friend's house today. He's only experience or knowledge of the game until that point were just YouTube videos.

Put the game, I played the intro-chapter; he took control a few secs later; less than 10 minutes later we were in the store, buying a copy.

He's currently playing and considering he goes to work at 9AM and is nearly 3AM here; he seems to be enjoying the game. :lol

I didn't played (well, a new chapter) today, but darn; the game's so pretty!! Love Monkey! :lol

I have been on the fence about this game. I finally decided to pick it up, but Best Buy were sold out - on both platforms. Either my BB sucks at stocking new games, or the game is getting some great word-of-mouth. Anecdotal, but a good sign nonetheless.

what the hell happened to the ending?

and there are so many things left unexplained. instead of feeling happy about beating it now i'm just kinda annoyed.

dreamfall

I absolutely loved the game. I think the ending gave me pause, and I thought it was very well executed.

I also was pretty stunned by the soundtrack of the game- it seemed to float in at all the right moments. I'm sure that I loved the first half more than the later bits, just because they felt more serene while the characters' relationships began to grow.

I'll be revisiting it with Monkey's Assassin costume from the preorder bonus- it should make some of the less desirable aspects of combat more engaging (infinte stun/plasma blast ammo). Still, bravo Ninja Theory. It is a beautiful journey!

Brandon F said:
I dunno, overall it was a pleasant game, but design -wise feels stuck in the early aught's. From the shallow combat, constant handholding, and archaic collecting. If you have a craving to revisit the days of Jak and Daxter 1, this is a close proxy to that experience. Fun for a weekend romp, but not much beyond.

That's a pretty good summary of the game, and I'd go with that.

From a technical point of view, this game has a few rather major bugs, at least for my playthrough. It actually crashed after 5 minutes for me, and again about halfway through the game! I've also had the game drop down to about 5-10FPS several times, and in fact one time it did something weird where the frame rate dropped and then never recovered, despite clearing the screen of enemies and items. Very strange, and I had to go back to the dashboard and restart the game. There are also major problems with the camera, not only does it love to choose the worst possible position when you are surrounded by enemies, but often when it's supposed to alert you to something dramatic, it just ends up focusing on a large wall instead of whatever is supposed to be behind it, and it looks really amateur-ish.

Gameplay wise, I had two major concerns. As already mentioned, the camera is awful and incredibly frustrating when in combat with many enemies. Secondly, the actual level design of the platforming sections is in my opinion very inconsistent and frustrating. Often there are times when Moneky has just pulled off a death defying 10ft+ leap in one direction, but then can't jump half a metre to get on top of a car or crate. It just doesn't make sense to the player. Another example is how early on cars are used to impede your progress, but then literally 15 seconds later, you can jump on top of a car to proceed! That lack of consistency is IMO very frustrating and poorly designed.

Anyway, overall the game is decent for a weekend blast, and is IMO a slight improvement over HS. I'd reccomend it for rental, but it's a long ways short of a purchase for me.

derFeef

How hard is hard compared to normal? I am only on chapter 6 and thinking of restarting (or continuing) on hard. Maybe I need the sense of a higher challenge to get better at those games.

Mithos

Gold Member
dark10x said:
So Is this even playable on ps3 during the second half? The framerate is fucking atrocious on 360. The second half is so much less polished.

Framerate isn't bad during the first six chapters. Just you wait, though, the second half of the game runs like dogshit. In fact, it basically ends up running similar to the PS3 demo and often much worse. Choppy framerates and constant tearing both become the norm. :\

Kinda the same on PS3 the longer you advance the worse it gets.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
UE 3. Nuke it from the orbit. NT's implementation of UE3 is not match for their amazing art design.
I really don't think it's fair to slam UE3 all that much. It is totally possible to overcome these limits.

It can produce fantastic results in the right hands. The framerate issues that crop up definitely demonstrate that NT did not have a real handle on this engine. Their own engine was just as bad last time around as Heavenly Sword also had significantly framerate issues.

For bright, sunny visuals I still think Mirror's Edge is one of the most impressive games this generation and that was built upon UE3. They did some custom work with the lighting, of course, but the results were amazing. There was nothing stopping NT from doing something similar. UE3 is a great engine, but it doesn't simply crank out certain types of visuals. It's up to the developer.

K' Dash

Truant said:
Castlevania just feels so empty and soulless, and not in a good way.

wat

anyway, I played this on 360 and never found a place were it was unplayable, what's more, I'm noticing Catlevania's framerate issues more than this...

Amir0x

Banned
This game is sorta so infuriating. So many decent ideas marred by so many bad ones. I definitely think I'm leaning that this game is more bad than good, though.

One question... do you need to collect all the orbs in order to upgrade everything? And if so, does that include the orbs you get from destroying enemies? And if that's so, does that mean the ones that you have the ability to sneak past + allowing the mechs to call some more of their friends so we can collect even more?

dark10x said:
I really don't think it's fair to slam UE3 all that much. It is totally possible to overcome these limits.

It can produce fantastic results in the right hands. The framerate issues that crop up definitely demonstrate that NT did not have a real handle on this engine. Their own engine was just as bad last time around as Heavenly Sword also had significantly framerate issues.

For bright, sunny visuals I still think Mirror's Edge is one of the most impressive games this generation and that was built upon UE3. They did some custom work with the lighting, of course, but the results were amazing. There was nothing stopping NT from doing something similar. UE3 is a great engine, but it doesn't simply crank out certain types of visuals. It's up to the developer.

Mirror's Edge's visuals were kinda ruined for me on the PS3 due to the aliasing. I would take this game in an engine that allows AA on the PS3/consoles any day. I know UE3 is a nice multiplatform engine to work on and on PC it can look quite good, but Enslaved doesn't even have a PC version...

btw why can't all (PS3) games just slap MLAA on it? (serious question, I thought the cool thing is that it takes less resources than "classic" AA but looks even better?)

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Amir0x said:
This game is sorta so infuriating. So many decent ideas marred by so many bad ones. I definitely think I'm leaning that this game is more bad than good, though.

One question... do you need to collect all the orbs in order to upgrade everything? And if so, does that include the orbs you get from destroying enemies? And if that's so, does that mean the ones that you have the ability to sneak past + allowing the mechs to call some more of their friends so we can collect even more?

I'm in the same boat. I love post-apocalyptic fiction and this game hit all my buttons in the previews (art direction, story, acting), so much so that I was willing to buy it at full price, but the game play (dull, repetitious and simple) and platforming (invisible walls, lack of true danger or challenge) are just so ineptly realized that by the final boss battle I was just going through the motions (not like I had to think at that point - I was doing the same thing I'd done throughout the entire game) to get to the final cut scene.

You don't need all the non-enemy orbs to upgrade everything. You can farm enemy orbs by not killing the broadcasters so they call additional mechs and by going back and repeating levels just for the combat orbs.

Would have been a good game at the $20 price point. But it's not worth $60. (I really wish it was, since I love Andy Serkis.)

Peff

Amir0x said:

I think the amont of "canon" orbs (the ones that you find around) is very close to the amount of points you need to upgrade everything, which is like 1.200.000. However, thanks to the robots giving you unlimited orbs you can get as many as you want, so don't worry too much about it, especially when one playthrough should give you enough orbs to get the useful upgrades. You can also go back to any chapter and keep everything you have regardless of difficulty and farm mecha orbs any time, but the level orbs you already have disappear, as do the vision masks thingies

Truant said:

having played the demo, this's exactly what's been holding me back from getting los - & it's what burned me out on the god of war series by the middle of the second game. for me, these games fall into the g.r.i.m. action game genre: gorgeous, relentless, insipid, & monotonous. it's when the dead-serious/personality-less story & characters get shoved to the back of the bus, & it's all about the incredible fireworks. &, minus the occasional self-effacing humor of games like bayonetta & the dmcs, becoming immersed in a grim type game require a kinda sustained pre-pubescent suspension of belief, & an enjoyment of the fireworks for the sake of the fireworks alone, that i'm no longer really ready for :) ...

&, for all it's flaws, this's mostly why enslaved worked for me in a way i'm not so sure los would...

derFeef

Allright, hard is not that bad, I start to enjoy the combat actually. But goddamnit I got hit 1 time by that boss, grrrrr.

dark10x

Mirror's Edge's visuals were kinda ruined for me on the PS3 due to the aliasing.
A lot of games lack AA.

The point was simply that Mirror's Edge completely eliminated the "UE3" look.

Despera

Banned
Amir0x said:

Same here man. But I only started thinking it was more bad than good near the end. If that's what you think of the game now... then wait till you see the stupid ending.

dark10x

Despera said:
Same here man. But I only started thinking it was more bad than good near the end. If that's what you think of the game now... then wait till you see the stupid ending.
I thought the ending was great. :\ I love that kind of shit.

Shame the game itself starts to fall apart during the second half.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I like the kind of flow it has. But ninja theory making DMc just confuses me. Their action here is, IMO, worse than it was in hs. Why don't they just male a platormer. Straight combat game? Wtf

Y2Kev said:
I like the kind of flow it has. But ninja theory making DMc just confuses me. Their action here is, IMO, worse than it was in hs. Why don't they just male a platormer. Straight combat game? Wtf

yep. reading the los thread, & the many 'but is it a good castlevania game?' type comments is, i'm thinking, a preview of what's to come :) . &, while i'm not a castlevania fan, & pretty open to just judging los on it's own terms, i'll definitely be on the other side of the fence come dmc...

Despera

Banned
dark10x said:
I thought the ending was great. :\ I love that kind of shit.

No. The ending was shit. And I used to love that kind of shit when it was original. But the way it was presented and the lack of actual substance, logic and explanation is just... stupid.

Despera

Banned
jonnybryce said:
No, the ending was awesome. You lose.

Actually I kinda win since after that post I'm no longer a jr.

hell yeah! :D

Anyways it seems that I'm alone in that opinion so I'll keep it to myself until more people finish the game and see the epilogue for further discussion.

Amir0x

Banned
Peff said:
I think the amont of "canon" orbs (the ones that you find around) is very close to the amount of points you need to upgrade everything, which is like 1.200.000. However, thanks to the robots giving you unlimited orbs you can get as many as you want, so don't worry too much about it, especially when one playthrough should give you enough orbs to get the useful upgrades. You can also go back to any chapter and keep everything you have regardless of difficulty and farm mecha orbs any time, but the level orbs you already have disappear, as do the vision masks thingies

Thanks. When I try to replay a chapter, it says "your current checkpoint will be reset." Does that mean I'll have to replay that entire chapter just to get to the chapters after it again? And also, if I'm just going back to get a mask I missed or something, do I have to play the ENTIRE LEVEL for it to save as collected?

Peff

Amir0x said:
Thanks. When I try to replay a chapter, it says "your current checkpoint will be reset." Does that mean I'll have to replay that entire chapter just to get to the chapters after it again? And also, if I'm just going back to get a mask I missed or something, do I have to play the ENTIRE LEVEL for it to save as collected?

Nope, it means that whenever you choose to play that chapter again you'll have to start it over, since Continue your Journey will take you to the latest checkpoint in the earlier chapter you chose. For the masks, I *think* they save right after you get them, I haven't actually tried it out but I have a feeling they do. They definitely get saved after the following checkpoint though, that's for sure.

dark10x said:
It's just a shame Ninja Theory cannot seem to create a game that doesn't have serious performance issues.

woh there buddy. The performance issues in the second half are probaly not the specific fault of the developer, as much as the design (it's a lame point to make, but still). I think we both know that the main reason why the game basically breaks down in the second half is because
the design itself is turned on its head. Had it continued along a consistent path with chapters 1-7, it would have been excellent. Despite perhaps a bit underwhelming in terms of daring in gameplay and ending. People would still nag, obviously. But I wouldn't have mind if the game had continued along that path instead of going with the path it took instead.

Basically, bigger is not better in videogames (unless it's the illusion of scale, like the city of Dis in Dante's Inferno. Which is an awesome scene btw).

dark10x

Zeitgeister said:
woh there buddy. The performance issues in the second half are probaly not the specific fault of the developer, as much as the design (it's a lame point to make, but still). I think we both know that the main reason why the game basically breaks down in the second half is because
the design itself is turned on its head. Had it continued along a consistent path with chapters 1-7, it would have been excellent. Despite perhaps a bit underwhelming in terms of daring in gameplay and ending. People would still nag, obviously. But I wouldn't have mind if the game had continued along that path instead of going with the path it took instead.

Basically, bigger is not better in videogames (unless it's the illusion of scale, like the city of Dis in Dante's Inferno. Which is an awesome scene btw).
I don't think the design accounts for the bad framerate (which is the performance I was talking about). The areas presented in the second half are generally less impressive to behold, in fact, yet manage to run much slower than anything during the early parts of the game.

That fact, combined with some of the design changes, are what really hurt the game for me. I probably would have enjoyed a lot of the battles later in the game had the engine not completely choked. The part when you have to defend four energy cores, for instance, was actually not bad (compared to most sequences of that type), but the framerate became so incredibly poor that it nearly ruined it.

you're not alone :) ...
Just saw your Primal comparison and I totally agree. I actually really like Primal in much the same way as this game, though Enslaved does actually play quite a bit better (the combat in Primal was reallllly bad).

dark10x said:
I don't think the design accounts for the bad framerate (which is the performance I was talking about). The areas presented in the second half are generally less impressive to behold, in fact, yet manage to run much slower than anything during the early parts of the game.

That fact, combined with some of the design changes, are what really hurt the game for me. I probably would have enjoyed a lot of the battles later in the game had the engine not completely choked. The part when you have to defend four energy cores, for instance, was actually not bad (compared to most sequences of that type), but the framerate became so incredibly poor that it nearly ruined it.
I kind of disagree about not bad.. the endless respawning enemies really annoyed me. The combat worked best when it was dynamic; sneaking around turrets, etc. Hand fighting mech after mech got boring fast.

jkanownik

I would have liked this game if the stupid girl hadn't killed me so many times for wandering off in the wrong direction. How the hell can you form an emotional bond with someone that kills you just for exploring a little bit? What a horrible gameplay mechanic. Why does it give you such a short time to return after making it more difficult to move and making you disoriented when notifying you that you're going the wrong way? Every time she said something I was wishing Monkey would just punch her in the face (*note that I only condone violence against women when they have killed you first).

Truant said:

Having played both, I'm glad I rented Enslaved and purchased Castlevania. I had always planned on playing Enslaved first since it would be easier for me to knock it out being around 8hrs and then go through the reportedly 18+ hrs in Castlevania. Unfortunately Enslaved wasn't in-stock when I got LOS. I don't disagree that Castlevania really does feel empty. The characters aren't nearly as likable or developed as Monkey and Trip. In fact, for the most part hardly anything happens storywise in a given mission.

But I do like the fact that LOS has more in line with what I expect from a "purchase". A great deal of replay value, combat variety and very digestible mission structure. I can beat a couple of missions and then be out the door (which is good as I'm a lot busier than I was when I beat Enslaved). They're both very different, but the fact they released during the same time frame draws instant comparison. I would say that a game with LOS level of presentation & combat variety and Enslaved's dedication to character and level design would be my GOTY. They both feel slightly under the AAA title bar but both for different marks.

Not crazy enough to start something in a game's OT, just wanted to weigh in.

Y2Kev said:
I like the kind of flow it has. But ninja theory making DMC just confuses me. Their action here is, IMO, worse than it was in hs. Why don't they just make a platormer. Straight combat game? Wtf

Agreed. The combat is monotonous and you can pretty much kill everything (bosses included) with a simple evade, stun blast, mash on heavy attack sequence. It's really sad because the camera effects you get when finshing off mechs is often really, really cool.

I also think that the variety in enemy designs is poor. The same mechs and even bosses are used over and over and none have any personality to them at all.

Despera

Banned
semiconscious said:

That post was pure gold.

The Serkis guy... who is he? Just some random dude with a camcorder that says I'm Pyramid blah blah end game matrix stuff? They show some of his past memories, but what happened that made him build Pyramid? He seemed like a normal guy in those flash backs.

Trip kills the machine, what happens to the people? Do the mechs stop functioning, or just slaver mechs? If he "enslaves" people to make them relive his memories peacefully and away from harm, why do slaver mechs kill everyone else? Even those slaves in the opening chapter of the game seem like they're forced to bring people into Pyramid... Did they agree on this?

It's like the game builds up this immense level of intrigue and then near the end it starts to fall apart and rush things. When Pigsy died I didn't feel that much for him even though he was an awesome character. In that scene where Monkey asks Trip to keep the headband on, the scene just abruptly ends and feels like some tacked-on character development.

The possibilities were endless for a better ending to a game they apparently worked hard on. And a story where it makes you question reality, while not fully original, would've been much more interesting.

Truant said:

Totally; there's nothing there. It's a mishmash of other influences, game and film alike, wrapped up in a pretty shell with very little fun added in. Plus, it sits merrily atop a pile I have labelled 'Games with wholly atrocious writing'. The story, the characters, even the damn grammar - it's all shocking.

is release date the only reason people are comparing castlevania to enslaved? i haven't played LoS but from watching videos and reading impressions its obvious the games deliver two different experiences.

are we going to compare new vegas to vanquish next week? that'll be fun.

Despera said:
Actually I kinda win since after that post I'm no longer a jr.

hell yeah! :D

Anyways it seems that I'm alone in that opinion so I'll keep it to myself until more people finish the game and see the epilogue for further discussion.

Nah it seems pretty split. A lot of people don't like the ending or the
lack of answers and what happens next
but others are ok with it ending
there and like the twist and the motivation behind it all.
Each his own. I can see why you don't like it.
The real world images were the most irritating part for me, not the lack of a solid wrap up or being unhappy with the answer of "why".

This thread follows a pattern of praise, disappointment, praise, anger, praise, annoyance, praise, etc.

Despera

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
is release date the only reason people are comparing castlevania to enslaved? i haven't played LoS but from watching videos and reading impressions its obvious the games deliver two different experiences.

are we going to compare new vegas to vanquish next week? that'll be fun.

It all started with some random guy asking "Should I get Enslaved or Castlevania?"... Moments after that, all hell broke loose.

Despera said:
It all started with some random guy asking "Should I get Enslaved or Castlevania?"... Moments after that, all hell broke loose.

I don't see how it isn't a fair comparison. Both are third person action adventure games, both put emphasis on story, combat, light platforming. It's no different to the people comparing Bayonetta to Ninja Gaiden, surely? If you like the genre and can only afford to play one of these, it's worth weighing one up against the other.
(And then choosing to play Enslaved.)

TripOpt55

I wish I could check my tech orb percentage for the level in game instead of dropping out to the menu. Unless this is able to be checked somewhere in game and I'm missing it.

Phaethon0017 said:
Having played both, I'm glad I rented Enslaved and purchased Castlevania. I had always planned on playing Enslaved first since it would be easier for me to knock it out being around 8hrs and then go through the reportedly 18+ hrs in Castlevania. Unfortunately Enslaved wasn't in-stock when I got LOS. I don't disagree that Castlevania really does feel empty. The characters aren't nearly as likable or developed as Monkey and Trip. In fact, for the most part hardly anything happens storywise in a given mission.

But I do like the fact that LOS has more in line with what I expect from a "purchase". A great deal of replay value, combat variety and very digestible mission structure. I can beat a couple of missions and then be out the door (which is good as I'm a lot busier than I was when I beat Enslaved). They're both very different, but the fact they released during the same time frame draws instant comparison. I would say that a game with LOS level of presentation & combat variety and Enslaved's dedication to character and level design would be my GOTY. They both feel slightly under the AAA title bar but both for different marks.

really well put - & why i'll likely be trading in enslaved when i get los :) ...

Despera said:
That post was pure gold.

The Serkis guy... who is he? Just some random dude with a camcorder that says I'm Pyramid blah blah end game matrix stuff? They show some of his past memories, but what happened that made him build Pyramid? He seemed like a normal guy in those flash backs.

Trip kills the machine, what happens to the people? Do the mechs stop functioning, or just slaver mechs? If he "enslaves" people to make them relive his memories peacefully and away from harm, why do slaver mechs kill everyone else? Even those slaves in the opening chapter of the game seem like they're forced to bring people into Pyramid... Did they agree on this?

It's like the game builds up this immense level of intrigue and then near the end it starts to fall apart and rush things. When Pigsy died I didn't feel that much for him even though he was an awesome character. In that scene where Monkey asks Trip to keep the headband on, the scene just abruptly ends and feels like some tacked-on character development.

The possibilities were endless for a better ending to a game they apparently worked hard on. And a story where it makes you question reality, while not fully original, would've been much more interesting.

:) ...

not the first time i've enjoyed a game but seriously questioned wtf they were thinking afa the ending.
& to throw in that video shit?! it was like penultimate insult to injury - take something stupid/dumb, & make it cheap/cheesy as well?!
but, as time's passed, afa enslaved goes, i've moved from 'clunky' to 'totally fucked up' :) ...

finished the game a little bit ago. not sure how i feel about it overall. art direction, acting, voice work, graphical fidelity, sound, all top notch. combat was middling to irritating; the stun move is almost worthless. story wasn't bad, however:

so did they forget to write the rest of the ending? i suppose a sequel could be made, or some kind of extension via DLC, but holy hell was that an anti-climactic, and irritating last level. i don't have a problem with what Pyramid actually turned out to be, but they sort left us hanging in the worst possible way. like others have said what happens next? did trip go home? did monkey stay with her? why did she impulsively kill the Pyramid but seconds later suddenly have a crisis of conscience?

also, why was there never the obvious, but effective, scene of her forcing monkey to do something he doesn't want to? i was waiting even up until the end for her to say "Command: Take the mask off!" or make him stay with Pigsy. garland's work for me has always touched on the small intricacies of what goes on behind a person's eyes, what motivates them. this story was very straightforward. would not be surprised if "written by alex garland" means he wrote down a plot treatment on a notebook sheet and gave it to ninja theory to finish it. hrm.

Top Bottom