• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

Einbroch said:
Um. How is that a spoiler? Pyramid is the major enemy in the game, they tell you within, oh, I don't know, ten seconds of playing the game? And I didn't say anything.

Over-sensitive much? But fine, I'll spoiler tag my entire post.

I haven't played the game and have no idea about the game's plot besides the headbands. It's good to know that there's a huge twist at the end involving
how the main enemy/plot point "functions"
though, I didn't want to experience that myself anyways.

Adam J.

I'm really tempted to treat myself to a copy of this game today. I had already planned on getting Kirby and Vanquish in the next couple of weeks, and really shouldn't buy 3 games this month, but...

This game has always looked like shit to me in the previews, etc. (I admit that I'm biased towards UE3 and expected a cheap HS knock off)

Well, the demo blew me away. Atmosphere, graphics, art and story are amazing. Lag battle system and auto jumps not so much, but I won't mind that too much I hope.
Will definitely buy! (instead of Castlevania)

Ahhh don't spoil things for me spoiler tag all yo ish.

Adam J. said:
I'm really tempted to treat myself to a copy of this game today. I had already planned on getting Kirby and Vanquish in the next couple of weeks, and really shouldn't buy 3 games this month, but...

Give in. You know you want to.

Picked this up during lunch. Look forward to playing it with the good reviews and all.
I read and cooked a lot this summer. It's all about hot pockets and gaming this fall/winter with what I think is a stellar line up.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, this game is fucking awesome. Wayyyy better than I had expected. Yes, it's true, the mechanics are fairly simple and the game is very streamlined yet the experience is much greater than the sum of its parts.

It's the kind of action/adventure that I really enjoy. We all know it's a mix of platforming, fighting, and puzzle solving but it's the way these are integrated that make it special. Take one of the first major areas. It's a huge, open area with collapsed highways and buildings all around. There are also mines everywhere (which you can clearly see). The objective is to reach the other end. You spend a good 15-20 minutes in this massive space and pulling everything together until both of you reach the other side. It's very satisfying and very reminiscent of stuff like ICO (they even duplicate the whole "Yorda gate" thing here). So you're platforming, you're helping Trip get around, you're fighting mechs, avoiding mines, sneaking past enemies, etc etc. I dunno, it's just fun and exciting.

I was more excited for Castlevania, but this is actually much more enjoyable thus far. Can't recommend it enough.

Side note: there is nothing Heavenly Sword in this game. It doesn't feel anything like it and I'm enjoying it infinitely more than that game.

Shot from my iPhone...

IMG_0622-1.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmm, seems like this turned out rather decent, eh?
Which version should I look into picking up, or is there no substantial difference between the two save for the usual controller / graphical architecture disclaimers.

dark10x

Mejilan said:
Which version should I look into picking up, or is there no substantial difference between the two save for the usual controller / graphical architecture disclaimers.
360 version

PS3 version, based on the demo, is complete shit. Looks almost exactly the same, but runs at a lower framerate overall and tears like crazy. Feels like an older attempt at bringing UE3 to PS3 and a step below most other recent efforts.

360 version is generally very smooth, though still not perfect.

Oli

Mejilan said:

I hear the 360 version is a bit better. Some have claimed some tearing and framerate issues in the PS3 demo I think. If you have the option, the 360 would probably be the safe bet on this one.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Thanks for the heads up.
Kind of surprising considering the developer's early PS3 experience.
Probably not worth waiting/hoping for a patch.

Ricker

Should of gotten this instead of Castlevania...if Castlevania continues to be a QTE Boss fest,I might pick it up sooner then I thought.

Sidzed2

Two hours in and I'm really enjoying this - I'm playing the PS3 version, which seems to be very poorly optimised and very ragged, but other than the technical issues, it's all good.
Each of the game's disparate elements (combat, traversal and management of Trip's abilities) is very simple, but they all work very competently and are wrapped up in what is a captivating world full of interesting characters.

Can't wait to see where the game goes from here. At the very least, this is a must-rent.

dark10x

Ricker said:
Should of gotten this instead of Castlevania...if Castlevania continues to be a QTE Boss fest,I might pick it up sooner then I thought.
Eh? I'm disappointed in CV as well, but there are very few QTEs in the game. Not sure what you're seeing.

Kolgar

WTF is up with my Sexy Robot Trip pre-order code from Best Buy not working?

Has anyone else had problems with their codes?

Just noticed that even the cover looks very similar to Uncharted! (1) :lol

Of course it's pretty different from U's core gameplay, but some of the elements are definitely there. And I consider that a good thing :)

shwimpy

Picked up the PS3 version over Castlevania and I'm loving it so far (4 chapters in) mainly due to the Uncharted vibe. Only major complaint is the camera as duly noted by most if not all the reviews but it definitely isn't game-breaking. The VA and dialogue is fantastic. It's beautiful but UE3 is obviously the PS3's achilles heel so the tearing/framerate drops is noticeable. Thankfully, my eyes aren't as sensitive as the rest of GAF so whatever.

BTW - I'm playing it on normal and have found it incredibly easy so far so some of you might want to bump it up to hard. I've been playing a lot of RPGs lately so this feels like the perfect relax and enjoy the ride type of game.

Synless

Broadbandito said:
so for the people enjoying this more over castlevania, why? I have decisions to make :lol
I was about to comment on this as well. Damn shitty demo turned me off of a potentially great game. I bought Castlevania so this will have to wait. (although I'm not disappointed in Castlevania at all besides the framerate).

Synless said:
I was about to comment on this as well. Damn shitty demo turned me off of a potentially great game. I bought Castlevania so this will have to wait. (although I'm not disappointed in Castlevania at all besides the framerate).

which demo are you referring to?

Synless said:
The only one you can play. I personally thought it was meh.

Oh I was asking between Enslaved or Castlevania demo. I REALLY enjoyed the enslaved demo and when they cut me off I was only more excited. I am currently downloading the Castlevania demo and waiting to try that.

dwebo

Gamefly shipped me both Castlevania and Enslaved - I'm playing this first since it's supposed to be shorter? Anyway, it's great fun so far, very cinematic (up to ch. 5). I don't mind the easy platforming so much, as it keeps the pace nice and quick. It's a surprisingly pretty game, though there is some tearing and slowdown when the camera pans back (PS3). It's usually not noticeable when you're just running and climbing around, so I'm not too perturbed. The voice acting and facial animations are top notch.

Heading back into it!

edit: and of course ch. 5 starts off in a wide open area with a ton of slowdown :lol . However, the music here is really beautiful and so is the scenery so it's somewhat forgivable.

.la1n

Picked up Enslaved on the 360 and Castlevania on the PS3, I started with castlevania and am about an hour into it. Decided to switch over to enslaved for a break and I ended up playing it longer and enjoying it more. I really didn't think I would be saying that. It's true though.

mr_nothin

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
Streaming now for those that don't have it yet.
Combat looks pretty good. I like the camera work while you're fighting. I wrote this game off for the longest but this makes me actually want to play it. I love how he looks extra pissed off when they call in reinforcements. Looks like he hits them even harder :lol

Oli

Really pissed off at Amazon right now. I payed for release date delivery and it never came. UPS still says it's out for delivery, but it's 9pm so I don't think it's coming.

I called Amazon and they said I should call back on the 7th for a replacement or some crap. She didn't offer to refund the money I spent on the shipping, even though I obviously got screwed. Yes, it's only a dollar, but it's the principle. And if I'd have known it would be such a hassle I would have just bought it at K-Mart.

Ugh.

DaBuddaDa

Oli said:
Really pissed off at Amazon right now. I payed for release date delivery and it never came. UPS still says it's out for delivery, but it's 9pm so I don't think it's coming.

I called Amazon and they said I should call back on the 7th for a replacement or some crap. She didn't offer to refund the money I spent on the shipping, even though I obviously got screwed. Yes, it's only a dollar, but it's the principle. And if I'd have known it would be such a hassle I would have just bought it at K-Mart.

Ugh.
Chances are it's UPS's fault, not Amazon's. 99% of the time it's UPS's fault.

Oli

DaBuddaDa said:
Chances are it's UPS's fault, not Amazon's. 99% of the time it's UPS's fault.

I don't doubt it, but is UPS going to do anything about it? As far as they're concerned delivery estimates are just that, estimates. I doubt they'll stand behind it, or care that I paid to get it on the 5th. Amazon should be the one to deal with the problem since they're the ones who offered that service.

outsidah

Oli said:
I don't doubt it, but is UPS going to do anything about it? As far as they're concerned delivery estimates are just that, estimates. I doubt they'll stand behind it, or care that I paid to get it on the 5th. Amazon should be the one to deal with the problem since they're the ones who offered that service.

If you paid anything for the delivery, Amazon will give you a refund if you let them know. Amazon is more than accommodating to make customers happy.

Oli

outsidah said:
If you paid anything for the delivery, Amazon will give you a refund if you let them know. Amazon is more than accommodating to make customers happy.

A refund for .99 cents? It's probably not worth another call honestly. But it does make me upset.

They're usually very accommodating, but this lady seemed like she wasn't gonna do anything.

Broadbandito said:
Oh I was asking between Enslaved or Castlevania demo. I REALLY enjoyed the enslaved demo and when they cut me off I was only more excited. I am currently downloading the Castlevania demo and waiting to try that.
CV demo isnt even close to the real meat of the game. And get this, you can die if you miss a jump.

outsidah

Oli said:
A refund for .99 cents? It's probably not worth another call honestly. But it does make me upset.

They're usually very accommodating, but this lady seemed like she wasn't gonna do anything.

Well dude you are complaining :)

A quick email with the tracking number that shows that it was delivered today would most likely do it.

SonComet

Oli said:

Ugh.
My amazon delivery didn't come either even though it said out for delivery this morning. It's the first time I haven't got my delivery when ordering there. We can be frustrated together.

Oli

SonComet said:
My amazon delivery didn't come either even though it said out for delivery this morning. It's the first time I haven't got my delivery when ordering there. We can be frustrated together.

That makes me relieved, strangely. But I'm still mad that I'm not playing this game right now, and instead hearing the GiantBomb crew talk about how good it is on the Bombcast. :(

AwRy108

For those of you who care (or who have less $ b/c of picking up Castlevania): KMart is offering a $25 Gift Card with the purchase of this game, only good through Oct. 9th.

Also, they're offering a $20 Gift Card w/ purchase of Castlevania.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, anyone wanting to avoid spoilers should avoid reading through the achievement/trophy list. Not sure why those titles aren't hidden.

Kolgar

Played for a few hours tonight. This is one of those breath-of-fresh-air games that for me came out of nowhere. Glad I picked it up.

For sure, Ninja Theory has cornered the market on cinematics. The writing, voice acting and emotive facial animations convey the narrative so much more beautifully and effectively than other games. It's really fantastic to experience.

The game's command and upgrade systems provide more depth than I expected, and I do enjoy orb hunting through the environments. Mech bashing is a good time and the game forces you to be a little strategic about your approach as you progress.

The game looks great, too. Not sure it's as sharp as Heavenly Sword--certainly not Uncharted 2--but it certainly is one of the more colorful and visually compelling games I've played this generation.

Looking forward to digging into this more, and hope it sells well. People owe it to themselves to check this out.

Top Bottom