• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

Ezio

Haven't noticed huge amounts of issues so far with the game (on Chapter 3) but so far, absolutely loving the setting/story so far. A ++ job by Serkis on his mocap stuff too.

played up to part-way through chapter 3. game is very fun and the visual motif is amazing to look at. experiencing some goofy issues with texture pop-in, shadows not rendering properly, etc, but overall its pretty easy to gloss over since i love the style.

music is pretty impressive and i appreciate that trip doesn't act like a total fuckwit in combat.

Actually this might be seen as a spoiler.

I don't usually find monsters in games scary, or in movies for that matter, but that dog thing... when it eyes you while you're hiding and trying to keep still - super creepy.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm up to Chapter 4 thus far and while I like it, I absolutely CANNOT stand the combat.

All the cinematics, characters, writing, and acting are very pleasant. I actually look forward to each little cutscene in most cases just to watch the subtle animated facial nuances that clearly a huge devotion of development went towards. The plot is simple thus far, but many of the setpiece moments are that much more entertaining given the strengths of the narrative pacing and the two protagonists.

But when it's time to break out your bo staff and kick some metal robot ass, the game very much irritates the fuck out of me. The camera swoops in super low to the point that my own character blots out almost all of the action(making it hard to read enemy reactions). This also puts most enemies out of view entirely off-screen since they all love to surround and attack and I feel blind. I rarely get the sense my staff is doing any damage, it's almost always a surprise when an enemy suddenly implodes on whatever random hit during my combo string. Same goes for requisite 'turret' sequences when enemies seem to randomly blow up, sometimes it takes a few bullets, other-times hundreds...why I can't tell. (Hard difficulty here BTW)

Oh and UE3 is starting to show it's age. Some of the game environments look good, but too often I am a bit underwhelmed at the texturing. Coming off Castlevania, it's noticeably behind in looks.

THE Caffeinated said:
Actually this might be seen as a spoiler.

I don't usually find monsters in games scary, or in movies for that matter, but that dog thing... when it eyes you while you're hiding and trying to keep still - super creepy.
Same here. My fear of robots gone wild doesn't help.:lol
BTW got through chapter 5 during lunch. Some cool stuff!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh and UE3 is starting to show it's age. Some of the game environments look good, but too often I am a bit underwhelmed at the texturing. Coming off Castlevania, it's noticeably behind in looks.
Yeah, but it at least runs smoothly (on 360 anyways).

Castlevania looks a much more impressive but runs like dogshit.

Finished the game. Ending sucks.

Like for real, it's some
Matrix bullshit with no closure for either character

Also, the screen tearing and framerate get real bad the further you go (PS3 version).

Still, a surprisingly good game.

derFeef

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Liked the demo then? :)

*edit* And this game need WAYYYY more love!!!!! Really...
Loved the cutscene at the end of the demo - great interaction between the characters and a great start for a good tale I think. I hope there is more stuff like that in the game. Gameplay was ok so far, nothing to complain.

derFeef said:
Loved the cutscene at the end of the demo - great interaction between the characters and a great start for a good tale I think. I hope there is more stuff like that in the game. Gameplay was ok so far, nothing to complain.

There is definitely good character interaction and emotion throughout the game. One segment in perticular had me cracking up and also thinking holy shit at the same time. I loved it. All I will say is it involves a bridge and a vehicle.:D

AH reading this thread is killing me. I picked up my copy yesterday along with my downloadable goodie code from Gamestop...but this is the hell week of exams. I can play tomorrow.

I love GameTrailers reviews, I usually agree and find them to be fair. Glad to see it did well.

shwimpy

vodka-bull said:
Would you guys who've already finished it call it a Batman Arkham Asylum like surprisingly good game?

I enjoyed Heavenly Sword so I'm not surprised this game turned out well. Still though, this game does nothing overly impressive except for Serkis' VA/Mo-cap while AA had the total package.

Ending made me laugh. Can't believe the Garland wrote this shit.

All in all, it was fun while it lasted. Back to Gamefly this goes.

vodka-bull said:
Would you guys who've already finished it call it a Batman Arkham Asylum like surprisingly good game?
it's not as good as Batman. not quite as polished and combat is worse. but it's definetely a surprise that it came out this good!

DevelopmentArrested said:
it's not as good as Batman. not quite as polished and combat is worse. but it's definetely a surprise that it came out this good!

Agreed and if your into highly cinematic and great set piece sort of games... this is one to look at. I eat these games up to be honest.

vodka-bull said:
i'm barely into it but i started thinking of arkham asylum last night and wondered why. i think its because of how considerate the game is of certain things. like monkey automatically crouch-walking in combat, or walking slowly around the mined areas. you're never unsure where to go, and you're not punished too severely (if at all) for exploring a little bit. even the HUD elements are given an in-story explanation. in these regards the game very much reminds me of arkham asylum.

Amir0x

Banned
So Toys R Us is having that B2G1 Free deal. Usually I use the free game to pick up something I wouldn't normally otherwise. Now far be it from me to assume unbiased assessment of Enslaved in the Enslaved thread, but on the following three questions:

1. Is the platforming good? Or is it automated a lot like Uncharted or Prince of Persia, in that it's difficult to lose while platforming?

2. Is the framerate on 360 version typically >30fps?

3. What specifically makes this game special, if you'd have to say?

DaBuddaDa

Amir0x said:
1. Is the platforming good? Or is it automated a lot like Uncharted or Prince of Persia, in that it's difficult to lose while platforming?

Good or Bad aren't appropriate words to describe the platforming. It is there. You almost always cannot fail at it. It is semi-automatic. It's easier than PoP or Uncharted.

2. Is the framerate on 360 version typically >30fps?

360 version's framerate isn't rock solid 30, but 99% of the time it's 30 or very close to it.
It's significantly smoother than Castlevania, for example.

3. What specifically makes this game special, if you'd have to say?

Unparalled storytelling through top-notch motion capture and voice acting by real professionals and a good plot that keeps you wanting to play more and more. The combat isn't gonna reach Bayonetta levels of complexity and nuance, but it doesn't need to, and it's fun and feels really good to smack mechs around.

Kittonwy

Banned
endlessflood said:
I saw WETA also mentioned elsewhere in this thread but they're not involved with Enslaved AFAIK. House of Moves are the people responsible for the motion capture stuff in Enslaved. There's a good behind the scenes look at the motion capture process for Enslaved over at Gametrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/behind-the-enslaved/705495

They still have balls stuck on the actors' faces to capture the facial expressions, you can do this at WETA and you can do this at House of Moves, my point was that the technology they use isn't exclusive to Ninja Theory, it's not something that other independent third-party studios can't use as long as they have the money, contrary to what the post I was responding to suggested.

Amir0x

Banned
ugh if it's the story that makes it special then pass. game stories suck and the story trailer was embarrassingly awful. Sucks about the platforming too.

Ok then, guess I'll get Medal of Honor as my free game. Thanks for the tips

Kittonwy said:
They still have balls stuck on the actors' faces to capture the facial expressions, you can do this at WETA and you can do this at House of Moves, my point was that the technology they use is a technology that isn't exclusive to Ninja Theory.
Actually some of the technology we use is developed in house. Turning the mocap data into facial animation on a character is a non-trivial task.

KevinCow

Banned
Despite some gameplay issues like the scripted platforming and laggy movement, I'm enjoying this game. I just like looking around at the environments and making my way through them. And the characters are well acted and nicely expressive.

That said, why the hell is there a half-second lag between when I press my analog stick and when Monkey starts to move? Whoever programmed that should have his ass kicked, as should anyone who played the game and said, "Yes, this is acceptable." It makes wandering around and admiring the scenery considerably less enjoyable.

betweenthewheels said:
What is the story with Andy Sirkis and Ninja Theory, how did this collaboration begin?
"Andy, can you tell me how the collaboration between yourself and Ninja Theory came about?
Andy Serkis: Well we came to it by a bizarre route really. Through a series of coincidences. It was actually through Tameem’s brother who is a mortgage adviser, basically I was looking for a mortgage at the time and he said that his brother was a computer games developer and was trying to get in touch with me. So it was a really random meeting!"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...d-Odyssey-to-the-West-creators-interview.html

Amir0x said:
ugh if it's the story that makes it special then pass. game stories suck and the story trailer was embarrassingly awful. Sucks about the platforming too.

because Medal of Honor sounds great right?

DaBuddaDa

Amir0x said:

I would still highly, highly recommend it, especially if it's free. Abundantly creative stuff like this I feel deserves to be supported, while games like Medal of Honor are nothing but corporate rubbish.

Amir0x

Banned
because Medal of Honor sounds great right?

Well Medal of Honor is just a known entity - I know I'll have fun with it, I know I'll play its online component. It's not something I can be surprised by.

I was looking at Enslaved because I like adventure games with platforming, but if the appeal is terrible automated platforming, mediocre combat and its storyline (game storylines suck, and the story trailer for this was damn near self-parody awful) then it's something I can safely avoid. I was asking specifically so I can know the answer to this.

Don't take it as a personal affront DevelopmentArrested.

DaBuddaDa said:
Abundantly creative stuff like this I feel deserves to be supported

Well, I don't support things just because they're different. They have to also be good. But, that's what I was kinda asking from you... but you didn't really say anything that led me to believe this was anything "creative"

DaBuddaDa

Amir0x said:
Well, I don't support things just because they're different. They have to also be good. But, that's what I was kinda asking from you... but you didn't really say anything that led me to believe this was anything "creative"
Watch the Gametrailers video review. It will show and tell you everything about the game better than anyone could post on GAF.

Amir0x said:
Well Medal of Honor is just a known entity - I know I'll have fun with it, I know I'll play its online component. It's not something I can be surprised by.

I was looking at Enslaved because I like adventure games with platforming, but if the appeal is terrible automated platforming, mediocre combat and its storyline (game storylines suck, and the story trailer for this was damn near self-parody awful) then it's something I can safely avoid. I was asking specifically so I can know the answer to this.

Don't take it as a personal affront DevelopmentArrested.

if by known entity, you mean some of the worse beta impressions I have ever seen.... enslaved - the combat is solid, the story is fantastic (regardless of said trailer) and the platforming is fun even if it's automated. but okay, its nothing personal.

Amir0x

Banned
if by known entity, you mean some of the worse beta impressions I have ever seen.... enslaved - the combat is solid, the story is fantastic (regardless of said trailer) and the platforming is fun even if it's automated. but okay, its nothing personal.

It isn't anything personal. I was asking for guidance if I should get said game based on certain things I was curious about.

I hate automated platforming - so strike one.
All Game storylines are awful literally almost without exception, and Enslaved looks worse than usual - strike two.
And from the very tiny bit of Enslaved demo I played before I had to turn it off (framerate suuucks/tearing suuucks on PS3), the combat was pretty mediocre. So that was strike three. I was hoping the other aspects of the game mitigated that.

But yeah, I just wanted to see where it fell. I didn't know Medal of Honor had got such bad BETA impressions so maybe I'll get another game free.

Amir0x said:
All Game storylines are awful literally almost without exception, and Enslaved looks worse than usual - strike two.

I'm just surprised you think it's story looks worse than usual. It actually seems superior to the norm and the trailer made me thing "holy shit - this looks epic." Different strokes, entitled opinions, etc. Just sayin'.

Also, not sure if it's because it's coming from the Heavenly Sword dudes but the combat was fun. ::shrugs:: I had fun with it. The platforming was an autopilot bundle of mediocrity but I liked the combat and suppose it could only improve.

Adam J.

I went to two different K-Marts tonight looking for this and both of them didn't have it in stock.

The media sections at these stores were a joke. All of the newer games are stacked on top of each other in a glass case, in no particular order. Are all K-Marts this shitty, or is it just the ones in Indianapolis?

DaBuddaDa

Adam J. said:
I went to two different K-Marts tonight looking for this and both of them didn't have it in stock.

The media sections at these stores were a joke. All of the newer games are stacked on top of each other in a glass case, in no particular order. Are all K-Marts this shitty, or is it just the ones in Indianapolis?
My K-Mart is equally as shitty, even worse than the old Wal-Mart near it. It's as bad as the old Sears video game sections :lol

Kolgar

Fuck, if you're going to do the TRU deal, absolutely go for Enslaved as your free game.

This kind of game doesn't come around very often, and as a freebie, it's a special treat. Likely at least as good an experience as your other third-choice game, and maybe better than one of your first two choices.

Even if it's not as good a platformer as Uncharted 2 (which I felt played like a barely interactive movie), Enslaved undoubtedly pushes the medium forward in ways that delight and entertain.

But, to each his own.

Have the pixel counters got a hold of this yet? I was disappointed with the picture quality of the PS3 demo and was wondering if it was subHD or if they were just using a poor filter or something.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm having a wonderful time with this game. I tried taking a break from it with Castlevania, but i just couldn't stop thinking about it.

This game feels a lot like the original Uncharted. Didn't have any extra modes or anything, but it's such a great ride. I'm really digging the story too. I'm way more engaged than i thought i would be.

So far i'm at Chapter 8, and to be honest i don't want it to end. :D

The only things that are bugging me is the fact that it's running on UE3 and the common texture pop-up problem occurs. It gets pretty annoying. Also, is anyone else on the PS3 version getting audio problems? Sometime the sound effects, like machines and explosions, aren't heard. It's weird.

endlessflood said:
Have the pixel counters got a hold of this yet? I was disappointed with the picture quality of the PS3 demo and was wondering if it was subHD or if they were just using a poor filter or something.
Turns out it's actually 720p:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=50676&page=83

"Couldn't see any evidence of AA." I guess that was the visual deficiency, although from looking at stills in isolation the bloom and washed out lighting might be factors as well. I'm so intrigued by the story and impressed by the art direction, yet so put off by the way the game looks... still not sure whether to get it or not.

i'm the only one that thinks trip looks like nariko.

i've had the demo since it released but have had zero time to try it. hopefully it can get me to forgive the (zomg personal opinion) bad character designs and names that make me facepalm.

i'm with amirox on stories. can't name any game stories off the top of my head that were good and worth talking about. doesn't factor into purchases.

FHIZ

I've only gone through the first two chapters, but I have a feeling I'm going to love this game. I just am having a blast playing it. I'm already loving the characters and feel invested in them, and its good to see a game powered by UE3 (thats the engine right?) that isn't brown.

Top Bottom