• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

SamBishop

Banned
mysticwhip said:
What kind of replay value does this game have?

Not a ton; there are a couple Trophies/Achievements you'll probably miss the first time through, but the difficulty ones stack so you could probably try Hard. There are a couple difficulty spikes, though. Honestly, it's the kind of game you'll play through once, enjoy the ride, and maybe try a second time a little later, possibly more whenever you get the itch to see some gorgeous environments and really, really good facial animation, mocap and voice acting.

In that respect, it's most definitely like Uncharted, though not on the same level.

Still getting very tempted to pick this up and I've really been trying to convince myself to wait for a price drop :/ but I'm such a sucker for good production values and good art design

Adam J.

badcrumble said:
Still getting very tempted to pick this up and I've really been trying to convince myself to wait for a price drop :/ but I'm such a sucker for good production values and good art design

I feel you. I'm about 10 minutes away from snapping, driving to Walmart and buying it.

SamBishop

Banned
Adam J. said:
I feel you. I'm about 10 minutes away from snapping, driving to Walmart and buying it.

Do it. If you hate it, at least I might be able to pick up a copy off you on the cheap. Our office copy isn't going to be back any time soon.

JAVK said:
Hey guys QQ,

I just finished playing the demo on PS3. And the lip sync in the cut scenes was off by one second.

For those who have the final PS3 build, is this problem fixed?

QQ?

It's intermittent, and can be self-correcting mid-cutscene. I think I counted the instances of it happening on one hand through the whole game, though. It's nowhere near as bad as, say, Heavenly Sword was in the hub.

sn00zer

Demo: Looks like Ninja Theory hasnt learned anything from Heavenly Sword HAHA DMC
Final Game: Shit this game is damn good....

Haunted

sn00zer said:
Demo: Looks like Ninja Theory hasnt learned anything from Heavenly Sword HAHA DMC
I'm fairly certain I haven't seen any of the people who tore the demo apart praising the full game in this thread. Which makes sense if you think it through, as they weren't going to get the game on day 1 due to hating the demo.

Those who already liked the demo (and as a consequence got the game on day 1) are liking the full game, not a surprise, really.

I'm sure you'll get more divided opinions of this title once it hits the bomba bins and a bigger pool of people get to play it.

sn00zer

Haunted said:
I'm fairly certain I haven't seen any of the people who tore the demo apart praising the full game in this thread. Which makes sense if you think it through, as they weren't going to get the game on day 1 due to hating the demo.

Those who already liked the demo (and as a consequence got the game on day 1) are liking the full game, not a surprise, really.

I'm sure you'll get more divided opinions of this title once it hits the bomba bins and a bigger pool of people get to play it.
Agreed...funny that those people are absent from this thread though :lol

Haunted

sn00zer said:
Oh, I wouldn't worry about that, I'm sure they'll be delighted to rush in here and shit all over the game inform us of their opinion once they actually get to play the full version. :lol Few things are more popular than coming into an OT and telling everyone how much a particular game sucks.

I might be in the bomba bin camp, but after reading the positive impressions from everyone in here I'm fairly certain I'll be enjoying the game as well, since I really liked the demo. :)

dankir

Just bought this and Lords of the Shadow on the 360 today, some of the best visuals I've seen on the 360.

The facial animation is ridiculous!!! My oh man does it feel good to look at a game that has color.... so fucking pretty.

Good stuff Ninja Theory!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just played through the demo on the 360 and was really impressed. I'm downloading the PS3 demo right now to compare it, but does anyone know if the 360 version is region free or not (I have a JPN 360). I will almost certainly be picking this up soon.

I could be here if you really want me to be here, sn00zer. I mean, I was just going to go with live and let live, but if you reaaaalllly insist...

SamBishop

Banned
JAVK said:
Quick Question.

So there still is lip sync issues in the final build? Damn, That is the one thing putting me off.

Ah, gotcha.

It's honestly a non-issue. You'll see when you play it. The lip syncing is amazing, and when paired with the facial animation and mocap... This is what Ninja Theory does that no other independent third-party studio can do. You'll see.

Haunted said:
I might be in the bomba bin camp, but after reading the positive impressions from everyone in here I'm fairly certain I'll be enjoying the game as well, since I really liked the demo. :)

If you liked the demo, I think the game will make you quite, quite happy.

shwimpy said:
The
Serkis pictures
are freaking me out. :lol

How many chapters are in this btw?

You can check your Trophies/Achievements, but don't. Just enjoy the ride...

Segata Sanshiro said:
I could be here if you really want me to be here, sn00zer. I mean, I was just going to go with live and let live, but if you reaaaalllly insist...

You shut your whore mouth and come over and finish it here. I miss this game already...

vvv Great, that's how the trolling will start. With people that never finished the game ripping on shit that has no context. Awesome... vvv

geebee

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Go watch it on youtube, it's kind of silly actually.
Indifferent2.gif
:lol I thought we were past embarrassing live action sequences in games these days?

Zefah said:
I just played through the demo on the 360 and was really impressed. I'm downloading the PS3 demo right now to compare it, but does anyone know if the 360 version is region free or not (I have a JPN 360). I will almost certainly be picking this up soon.
Not sure if it is region free but you can always get the Asian version that should be in English.

Kittonwy

Banned
SamBishop said:
Ah, gotcha.

It's honestly a non-issue. You'll see when you play it. The lip syncing is amazing, and when paired with the facial animation and mocap... This is what Ninja Theory does that no other independent third-party studio can do. You'll see.

Didn't they just record the facial expressions by sticking little balls on the actors' faces at WETA? You mean no other independent third-party studio can do that at WETA even if they are willing to fork over the cash?

Kittonwy said:
Didn't they just record the facial expressions by sticking little balls on the actors' faces at WETA? You mean no other independent third-party studio can do that at WETA even if they are willing to fork over the cash?
I saw WETA also mentioned elsewhere in this thread but they're not involved with Enslaved AFAIK. House of Moves are the people responsible for the motion capture stuff in Enslaved. There's a good behind the scenes look at the motion capture process for Enslaved over at Gametrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/behind-the-enslaved/705495

So, how does this game compare to Heavenly Sword? Is it longer? Is the story better? I'm thinking of picking this one up but I would like to hear from some folks who played Ninja Theory's last game.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
So, how does this game compare to Heavenly Sword? Is it longer? Is the story better? I'm thinking of picking this one up but I would like to hear from some folks who played Ninja Theory's last game.
Personally I thought it was better on all counts. Although, I wasn't as sold on the story in Heavenly Sword as others. Really enjoyed the story in Enslaved. More mature than I expected. In the quieter moments, the acting really sells it, although some of the humor later was a bit juvenile and obvious in comparison.

dwebo

Infinite Justice said:
found the ending and :lol

gotta check this game out one day

Well,
it's kinda weird, because the ending/epilogue just comes out of left field. The rest of the game isn't like that at all, and was better for it
. edit: sorry about that

Also, probably one of the worst trophy notifications right around there. I mean, I laughed, but I felt terrible :lol !

V_Arnold

Fuck all the ending talk, seriously.
Saying ending will be especially weird IS a spoiler in itself.
Take the story discussion to somewhere else, instead of this partially spoiler tagged stuff, please :(

wouwie

badcrumble said:

I'm in the same boat. Demo didn't convince me at all but this really is my kind of game.

Pity the PS3 version turned out to be the lesser version (i have no 360). Also, it's a pity that Ninja Theory didn't include less automated platform gameplay. It could probably have turned the game from good and 8/10 (which seems the general impression/score amongst reviews) to very good 9/10 material. A somewhat missed opportunity for Ninja Theory, it seems.

Just bought Dead Rising 2 and im itching for Castlevania Limited Edition... Im most likely going to buy this while i wait for that :D

Love the animation and character interaction.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
sn00zer said:
sn00zer said:
I'm between those who didn't like the demo much (I found it fundamentally boring), and decided to wait for a price drop before biting.
I've been lurking this thread to read impressions for the whole game, and I'm pleasantly surprised to read so many positive ones (even though many seem to come from people who did appreciate the demo, so I'm still taking them with a grain of salt).
That said, your schtick of grouping skeptics into "haters" is getting really tiresome. It's terribly immature, it doesn't take into account the fact that different people *may* have different taste from yours, and - as every generalization grouping different opinions into two perfectly opposite sides - is flawed and silly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Significantly better than Heavenly Sword.

At this point, it seems like it will be much longer (aside from Chapter 1, each chapter has been quite lengthy and there are 14 of them). There's much more variety and everything is just flat out better. Heavenly Sword was basically a brawler with some random turret segments (not literally, but that's really how they played). This is much more of an action adventure kind of experience. Fighting is not the focus here, but it plays a decent role.

In my eyes, this is like a mix of Uncharted and ICO. Perhaps not as good as either, but it's definitely up there. I won't make that call until I've finished it.

Also, at least on 360, the framerate is fairly smooth unlike Heavenly Sword (which has perhaps the lowest framerate of any first party Sony title).

robot

Absolutely amazing so far. When I kept reading how amazing the V/O and characters facial expressions were, and how immersive the game was, I sorta just thought they were overreactions and blew them off.

I've been playing the past 3 chapters, and my jaw has not been lifted off the floor ever since. I wasn't really impressed by the demo despite a really strong opening. I sorta just bought it knowing I'd be taking a risk. The biggest suprise in gaming for me this year, maybe in the last few years. Whoever said the game is a breath of fresh air on the previous page completely nailed it.

i finally opted for enslaved over castlevania, &, having completed the first 4 chapters, i think i made the right choice. likely just a matter of not so well-built but fresh over better-built but stale, & i've always preferred the one over the other. &, so far, it's been a lot of fun :) ...

Oooh this game is lovely, so lovely. I had to choose between this and castlevania due to wanting fallout and fable 3 too. So happy with my choice. The demo did this no justice.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Who the hell designed that boxart? The white space around the Ninja Theory logo makes it look so lazy.
Did you get the one with the "exclusive sexy robot trip" emblem on the front? For a game trying to further story telling in video games, it comes off as a little embarrassing. I'm sure Ninja Theory had no choice in that matter and it was Namco trying to add incentive to the buying the game.

Just got to chapter 10 and wow... Enslaved is damn good. I noticed some framerate issues moreso on the last chapter
takes places during a boat/turrent sequence
but overall it has been faily smooth. Can't wait to finish these last 5 levels. This game did a complete turn around for me... from minorly interested, to playing the demo, to buying it... Good job guys.

I am 4 chapters in. It's a decent game with some good writing and great voice acting. This is using UE3 though isn't it. Some of these UE games look so much like the others. As beautiful as the game can be sometimes I'll be in a room or an area where I feel like I've already been in a lot of other UE3 games.

derFeef

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Just go to chapter 10 and wow... Enslaved is damn good. I noticed some framerate issues moreso on the last chapter
takes places during a boat/turrent sequence
but overall it has been faily smooth. Can't wait to finish these last 5 levels. This game did a complete turn around for me... from minorly interested, to playing the demo, to buying it... Good job guys.
Oh you like it? I really might consider getting this now. :D Putting demo on queue!

V_Arnold

CitizenCope said:
I am 4 chapters in. It's a decent game with some good writing and great voice acting. This is using UE3 though isn't it. Some of these UE games look so much like the others. As beautiful as the game can be sometimes I'll be in a room or an area where I feel like I've already been in a lot of other UE3 games.

Funny because I honestly believe that is some serious self-assurance, which causes you to forcefully "feel" like you were there. I had the exact opposite feeling: I have never seen this unique enviroments before, UE3 or not UE3. Batman was like this also, but less vibrant and colorful.

Stop thinking about what engine it runs on. Seriously, it is none of the player's business. Play :)

derFeef said:
Oh you like it? I really might consider getting this now. :D Putting demo on queue!

Yeah loving the game. The set peices, the emotional character bonding, the voice acting, the enviroments. If I had to nitpick anything it would be that combat comes off feeling a little too much the same but luckily the game has lots of platforming as well (though the platforming is a little automatic, doesn't bother me). Also there is a boss battle thats used twice that I feel needed just a little more variation to it. The idea and execution is cool but feels like it was missing a middle peice because the way you finish them is brilliant.

Overall though I can't wait to finish this title up. :D Game seems to be a solid 8 to 10 hours. Playing on hard as well.

V_Arnold said:
Funny because I honestly believe that is some serious self-assurance, which causes you to forcefully "feel" like you were there. I had the exact opposite feeling: I have never seen this unique enviroments before, UE3 or not UE3. Batman was like this also, but less vibrant and colorful.

Stop thinking about what engine it runs on. Seriously, it is none of the player's business. Play :)
Don't get me wrong I am enjoying the game and hope to finish a chapter during my lunch break.:D
I'm just a graphics whore and I'm not getting the wow factor I expected in the graphics department.
For those looking for more blue and greens in their games go play Just Cause 2. Now that was a stunning looking game imo.
Back on track I'm glad I picked up this game. Might not end up being a "10" but I get this feeling it's one of those games you don't want to miss in a consoles generation.

cant really judge the game's graphics 4 chapters in.
the game gets more beautiful and colorful as it goes on IMO (however less technically impressive - a lot of stuttering, frame-rate issues, massive pop-in)

Top Bottom