• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN NBA 2K5 screens! Help Shaq find his neck!

DMczaf

nba2k5_Shaq01.jpg
nba2k5_Shaq02.jpg

nba2k5_Kobe01.jpg
nba2k5_Kobe02.jpg
nba2k5_McGrady01.jpg
nba2k5_McGrady02.jpg

nba2k5_Odom02.jpg

Why does Odom look like he's been in a cave for 5 years?

nba2k5_SFrancis02.jpg
nba2k5_Odom03.jpg
nba2k5_SFrancis01.jpg

wtf? That does look pretty shitty, especially the little 3d bumpmap effect on the jersey logos, but for $20 its soul will be mine.

Grimlock

Is it just me, or do all of the models in those pics look messed up?

Mayhaps VC should take a season off in order to regroup like those other devs.

DCX

DCX
It looks OK, the faces look good, but they need to connect them to the bodies better. They have time...

DCX

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
My God that looks horrible.

lordmrw

I really think they should have kept these screenshots to themselves. Much like people with retarded kids shouldn't parade them around in public.

looks alright, nothing stellar except for the faces, the faces are REALLY good, especially Tmac's face. they got the messed up eye down and everything.

EekTheKat

Wonder how long 'till they work in facial animations in for replays and such.

One thing that might be kinda nice with this game is if they do Sportscenter for highlights and such like in the NFL game. Assuming the animation isn't screwed up like last years it should make for some fun replays at least.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Wario64 said:
WORK IN PROGRESS

Lots and Lots of work in progress.....

Plenty of time to clean it up...but no excuse if they are basing it on last year's engine....

FightyF

Banned
Well...it couldn't have been a sweep for VC having the better looking sports game. Live looks funner anyways.

TheDiave

Banned
Some of the screens aren't that bad... A few of them look almost real if you look quickly at them and don't stare. lol.

EA makes the players look like midgets, but VC gives the players no neck. Can't anybody get the bodies right. Oh well, I still plan on buying Live this year anyways.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
20 bucks....work in progress or not, that still looks like Kentucky Fried Hell. Still buying it, though.

pilonv1

With no Inside Drive and being only $20 it's hard to pass up, but evidently the cutbacks are obvious as they were with NFL 2k5 (no decent testing).

MaddenNFL64

Wow, Shaq just looks off and I hate that jersey texture.

But it's most likely going to be $20, so i'm still getting it over Live.

DCX

DCX
MaddenNFL64 said:
But it's most likely going to be $20, so i'm still getting it over Live.

Me too. Although i was getting ESPN anyway but gotta love the price tag.

DCX

BojTrek

Banned
I love Sega Sports games... but last years NBA and this years... kind of STINKY...

These pictures do look terrible... even NBA Live recent pictures looks incredible.

I have to rent NBA this year, even if this game is only $20.00... I will rent first!

TigerKnee

BojTrek said:
I love Sega Sports games... but last years NBA and this years... kind of STINKY...

These pictures do look terrible... even NBA Live recent pictures looks incredible.

I have to rent NBA this year, even if this game is only $20.00... I will rent first!

Gotta agree with you. I was a NBA2K nut. 2K3 was DECENT at best and 2004 was just downright terrible. They have their work cut out for them if they want to bring it back to respectable levels. That said, these screens look pretty good. Now if it plays good, I'll be in heaven.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
GIVE ME 2k2 with Updated rosters...... HOW HARD IS THAT..... these guys all look like Black Ken dolls.. I hate the way they make them look, and those faces are cool and all, but I wouldnt care about the faces if the gameplay was fun again...

**loads up Dreamcast**

oh and is that Phil Jackson aka Col. Sanders on the bench with Kobe driving past eddie jones??? this must really be a Work in progress

edit:
LOL at Tim Hardaway, also .... Please fix the lay up animations, I hate the whole animation from the jump to the way they land all akward... I am sorry I hate this game so much, but If it wasnt such a great game to begin with, I really wouldnt care....

shpankey

not an idiot
Damn, that looks terrible. And I agree... since 2k2 the series has went slowly downhill with each iteration. This looks to continue that tradition.

Takuan

It looks alright. The faces themselves aren't too bad for the most part, it's just the head proportions that are a bit out of whack. Also, these are all replay shots, so we won't be looking at their ugly heads 95% of the time. For $20, this is still worth a try.

Ramirez

LMAO,I thought that was Tim Hardaway in the first pic...

This looks really bad,and after last years travesty of a game,I think I'll pass,I don't care if it was 5 dollars.Live looks incredible this year and was vastly superior in gameplay last year,now only if they would tone the blocking down in Live :(

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Looks awful.

Basketball requires a lot less to be rendered... Why do b-ball games look like sh!t compared to football, which renders 22 charcters constant?

DMczaf

the forum admin at espnvideogames.com replies to all the negativity lol

how about you all sit tight & realize that the game is over THREE months away... (if this were NFL 2K5, you wouldn't know about the price drop or early ship date... speaking of NFL, the season hasn’t even started yet!) Also realize that the weekly updates leading up to the release of the game will not come for a while, so passing such judegements based on stills from a work in progress is ludacris. I've personally seen the amount of effort that has gone into this game & really think the difference between 2k4 & 2k5 in core gameplay improvements is HUGE... similarly w/ the graphics & various game modes.

You may ask why we don't show you more stuff now... the primary reason is that w/ the game so far off, we can't let the cat out of the bag so soon... this is business.

Again, sit tight... you'll see soon enough - I told the same thing to everyone in the NFL forum - they didn't believe me, but eventually they saw the light.

If you're passing the game up because it had no "PDA" in 2K4, then perhaps this isn't the game for you. If you're a LIVE fanboy over here to spam about how NBA 2K5 falls short & LIVE is the answer, I'll very quickly point you in the direction of the "other" forums.

Regarding all the "if the developers cared or listened comments..."
Bottom Line: ESPN Videogames/Visual Concepts is in the business of bringing you the best NBA Sim around.
We very much do care about what you have to say... we've taken all kinds of feedback in the form of the feedback forums (& subsequent 40+ page compilation ... K Bomber can confirm this), personal emails & by simply browsing the boards.

It's sometimes difficult to wade through all the flames, complaints & so forth to decipher the root of your concerns, so carefully constructed feedback goes a long way in helping us help you... flaming isn't the way... which is basically what this forum has degenerated into... If you're really interested in having an improved game, perhaps a change of tactics is in order.

For those of you sending me multiple PMs & such every day... I try to get to those I can, but often times can't get back to every single message. Consider posting your questions in the forum. I have no inside information that I don’t share w/ everyone on the forum. When I have any more information on the game, you'll be the first to know as I'll post it up in the forum or alert og15 or K Bomber to do so...

Anyway, I think this is all I have to say on the various topics.

Hope you enjoyed the screens & the stats/predictions the “in-progress” version of NBA 2K5 allowed us to see.

later.

- forum Admin

One reason I'd be a little more harsh with an annual sports game "work in progress" is the fact that they're already building off of years of work.

Ramirez

Regarding all the "if the developers cared or listened comments..."
Bottom Line: ESPN Videogames/Visual Concepts is in the business of bringing you the best NBA Sim around.
We very much do care about what you have to say... we've taken all kinds of feedback in the form of the feedback forums (& subsequent 40+ page compilation ... K Bomber can confirm this), personal emails & by simply browsing the boards.

Bullshit,they don't care,NFL is proof of that.

Those fanboys do have an effect on sales like it or not. If they can create a sea of negativity over a game strong enough then it will eventually get to the people that matter in this industry. Or in the case of MVP, create such a strong wave of positive hype getting everybody excited, that also helps. EA is the master of that, getting folks to do their own marketing for them. It's about time somebody from Sega tries to stem the tied going against them as EA really turned the tied. Somehow EA can make shit, but when they "work hard" they'll make a comeback, while Sega is the pretender, maybe they made something good before, but they don't really care, and are now regressing under EA's pressure! That's not anywhere close to reality, but that's what EA's better marketers want, and are suceeding.

As for ESPN NBA, it's not up to the level of the NFL game's animation. It's a bit too robotic, and that's what I'm looking for mostly. Besides that, the graphics are stellar and blow away Live's and Inside Drive on my HDTV. Far as the sim/arcade direction....when the arcade basketball games outsell the more sim oriented titles, that says a lot of what the fanbase really wants to play. VC, I just assume is/was confused on what people really want to play, as they contridict themselves on a daily basis. Nobody wants to brick shots, and go 10 minutes without scoring like the real NBA. I hope they find a better balance this year.

Top Bottom