• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

eSport degree graduate: the world is my oyster (teaches business, finance, content management)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54999365

"The world is my oyster at this point," says Danielle Morgan, a third year e-sports student at Staffordshire University.

_115797613_esports.daniellemorgan.jpg

Ms Morgan will be one of the first students in the world to graduate with such a degree, as her university was the first to offer this course in the UK. It is not just about playing computer games, it is also designed to provide skills that are needed across an industry which organises tournaments all over the world.

"It's very business-oriented, with a focus on everything from marketing, legislation and finances, to events management, strategy and content creation," she says.

"In terms of its commercial growth, e-sports is arguably where the Premier League was when it was created in 1992, and we believe there is an opportunity for 20 to 30 global e-sports brands in the world to each become multi-billion dollar businesses," says Karan Mehta, an early stage investor at Octopus Ventures.
With that kind of growth in brands and in the sector as a whole, there has also been a big rise in jobs in the last few years; jobs website Hitmarker saw the total number of e-sports jobs posted on its site grow by 87% between 2018 and 2019.

cormack12

Gold Member
I still can't believe eSports generates so much money tbh. It seems very volatile, like the franchise can finish at any time, or change etc.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well, it's better than sports science and fine arts, the two biggest "I'm just here because people told me I should be and now I have £40,000 of debt" degrees in the UK.

I still can't believe eSports generates so much money tbh. It seems very volatile, like the franchise can finish at any time, or change etc.

It's truly one of those things where I can't wrap my head around. I'm getting old. Even YouTube streamers....why? Why would anyone watch someone else play something that's interactive? :messenger_astonished:

wolywood

It's truly one of those things where I can't wrap my head around. I'm getting old. Even YouTube streamers....why? Why would anyone watch someone else play something that's interactive? :messenger_astonished:

I would say it's the need (especially in these isolated times) to feel part of a community/something bigger than yourself...even if it's just a group of people watching and talking about someone else playing a videogame.

I burst out laughing at "the world is my oyster" line. I believe a lot of esport industry professionals were actively telling people these courses were an absolute con. 3 years doing a degree is surely way less valuable then working nonstop in and around the industry to get your foot in the door.

Top Bottom