• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Maze 5 is sooo good. I'm glad you liked the game a lot, are you thinking on diving into other titles of the series after finishing with 4?

1. I'm not the biggest fan of subclassing, but Atlus creating Grimoires is even worse, holy shit what were they thinking. And it was fine in 4, in 3 there was some awful shit like Princess/Monk being shit compared to Monk/Princess. That didn't happen at all in 4.

2. I like the story, I do agree than 1 and 2 were more about the atmosphere and it's great, but 3 is just a game I love so much, I felt like it was the right amount of story and that we didn't need a fucking STORY mode.

3. Awful classes? 3? I can't. At least we agree that Princess is love.

EO4 would be perfect if it wasn't so god damn easy, gimme an Expert mode please.

I try to stay positive about this series, but I won't lie, the direction it has and continues to take isn't something I love... Floor Jump, Picnic Mode, Story Mode, DLC... sigh. I'm happy that the MD game and EO5 got announced at least.

I'm not defending grimoires at all. I just kinda ignored them in story mode and haven't gone back to do classic yet. Also besides testing it out once or twice I just ignored floor jump and don't even want to acknowledge picnic mode. It's great for people that want it easy I suppose. Same with the automapping features that have come along. Run button was dope though.

Hilariously enough even though I complain about the story in 3/4 getting in the way I actually liked the story mode in Untold 1! Besides ruining the twist which as a vet of the series I already knew about and getting away from the whole build your own squad aspect I found the dialogue to be a marked improvement over what was offered in 3/4 and was genuinely entertained by the party banter. I still think a story mode in the future should allow you to bypass the premades for a new entry in the series but I like putting it in the remakes.

I am still positive on the series (Untold actually helped more than it dismayed, to tell the truth) but yeah, DLC for cheesecake scenes is stuff reserved for the drek of RPGs, not the king of the dungeon crawlers! The MD crossover will be the first roguelike that's really excited me since Shiren DS!

Anustart

Maze 5 is sooo good. I'm glad you liked the game a lot, are you thinking on diving into other titles of the series after finishing with 4?

1. I'm not the biggest fan of subclassing, but Atlus creating Grimoires is even worse, holy shit what were they thinking. And it was fine in 4, in 3 there was some awful shit like Princess/Monk being shit compared to Monk/Princess. That didn't happen at all in 4.

2. I like the story, I do agree than 1 and 2 were more about the atmosphere and it's great, but 3 is just a game I love so much, I felt like it was the right amount of story and that we didn't need a fucking STORY mode.

3. Awful classes? 3? I can't. At least we agree that Princess is love.

EO4 would be perfect if it wasn't so god damn easy, gimme an Expert mode please.

I try to stay positive about this series, but I won't lie, the direction it has and continues to take isn't something I love... Floor Jump, Picnic Mode, Story Mode, DLC... sigh. I'm happy that the MD game and EO5 got announced at least.

Yep. Which is recommended after 4?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The whole series is honestly great despite my griping.

Untold is good. Try the demo out first, it's just as good as IV's. Plus it will be on sale any time now if it isn't already.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yep. Which is recommended after 4?

3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

did i mention 3?

Untold, which is a remake of the first game with a "Story" mode which has 5 premade characters, or Classic Mode which is an updated version of the first game of the series.

or EO3, which is awesome but might get a remake someday.

I would imagine 3 and 4 remakes w/ story bits might take longer since they would want to upgrade the ship / airship mechanics no? Guess they will see how 2 does and if well then yeah we can most def guess a 3 will be on the way lol.

Considering 1 & 2 didnt have any of that most def made the development easier.

jb1234

Started playing my first EO game a few days ago with IV. I grew up on this type of dungeon crawler and so, it's easy to fall back into this mode, even with the lack of interesting characters and story.

It helps that the music is really fantastic.

3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

did i mention 3?

I would imagine 3 and 4 remakes w/ story bits might take longer since they would want to upgrade the ship / airship mechanics no? Guess they will see how 2 does and if well then yeah we can most def guess a 3 will be on the way lol.

Considering 1 & 2 didnt have any of that most def made the development easier.

They can take as long as they want to make the EO3 remake the best game ever.

Parakeetman

They can take as long as they want to make the EO3 remake the best game ever.

I just want to break the game again with the sub class combinations lol

i hope they leave in the co-op boss fights since those were pretty badass when my friend and i tried it.

I just want to break the game again with the sub class combinations lol

i hope they leave in the co-op boss fights since those were pretty badass when my friend and i tried it.

I hope they balance it out, they might limit how crazy some combinations are.

And for the love of everything buff the Wildling.

Parakeetman

I hope they balance it out, they might limit how crazy some combinations are.

And for the love of everything buff the Wildling.

Fuck that, I say leave it broken its what made it awesome for those who take the time to try out more unusual ideas!

lol @ wildling.
ZfkwC6u.jpg

Farmer 4 life.

I never used one for anything else than to gather materials, so I have no idea what can be done with them.

I used 2 in my main party and it wasnt for gathering stuff. More just for the hell of it. They pulled their weight pretty well actually regardless of not exactly being a frontline class lol

They are? Huh that's interesting. I admit I'm one of those who took one look at the Farmer and said "You will never be sent out to actually fight anyone ever."

scy

They offer some decent subclass utility. The problem is that utility is either completely outclassed, unnecessary, or ineffective / doesn't work at all.

That said, I've done a Farmer as main class run so it's not that hard to beat the story with a full party of them so take one if you want.

Anteo

My main party for eo3 was
glad/hop/farmer
zod/monk

the farmer was just a free teleport +exp + extra hp in camps for a while

Hmm there's an AU copy of Etrian Odyssey IV on ebay now.

I was going to wait and play Persona Q first, then jump into the series if I liked that, but AU copies are so rare to find that I don't want to skip this.

I enjoyed the demo, should I just buy it even if I don't play it for 6 months? :p

Edit: I bought it.

omlet

They are? Huh that's interesting. I admit I'm one of those who took one look at the Farmer and said "You will never be sent out to actually fight anyone ever."

Because of how subclassing is in EO3, you can basically turn a farmer into a sub-optimal-anything by dumping most of their SP into the subclass skills and equipping gear from the subclass. You're stuck with farmer's stat growth distribution and class-specific skill so it's not optimal for most builds, but it can be done.

Parakeetman

I never got the chance to try out the co-op in 3. What was that like?

I believe you pick a boss to fight then both you and your friend use your characters selected then fight as a same party. Its been a long time since I played but was something like that. Was pretty crazy fighting the golem boss. We barely won thankfully the my Princess characters constant healing skill helped us scrape by lol

Narroo

Amazon has Etrian Odyssey Untold for $20 new, which seems to be the best price to get it at. Etrian Odyssey IV is $25 new.

I'm thinking of grabbing Untold; I do like playing games in order. What do you recommend?

Because of how subclassing is in EO3, you can basically turn a farmer into a sub-optimal-anything by dumping most of their SP into the subclass skills and equipping gear from the subclass. You're stuck with farmer's stat growth distribution and class-specific skill so it's not optimal for most builds, but it can be done.
Now that I think about I may have been somewhat wrong in my earlier statement. I think my Hoplite had the Farmer subclass which I thought was a bright idea at the time.

Amazon has Etrian Odyssey Untold for $20 new, which seems to be the best price to get it at. Etrian Odyssey IV is $25 new.

I'm thinking of grabbing Untold; I do like playing games in order. What do you recommend?

Untold was released after 4, so the order would be to play 4 first.

It should be mentioned that there's no connection story wise between the games.

omlet

Get Untold first if the order matters to you. Play Classic mode on Expert difficulty (completely serious about this). If the order of the stories is important to you, do not play EOU Story mode until after you play Classic mode. Play the rest in order or reverse order. EO2U might be here by the time you're done with EOU.

There are some details about the setting that play a part in later installments.

I'd suggest to play Untold Classic mode first (and skip the anime intro of the game).

I think I know what you mean but the story isn't really connected in the usual sense, and of course crazy fan speculation which is always fun.

And yes, if you play Untold first then go Classic + Expert.

omlet

It should be mentioned that there's no connection story wise between the games.

That's true, but there are nods and tie-ins and that kind of thing may be important to him. I know it is for me.

- Story Mode in EOU outright ruins the original (classic mode) story so if you are new to the series don't start with Story Mode IMO. However, this doesn't mean that you need to play Untold/EO1 first, just that you should play Classic before Story if you play EOU and never played EO1.

- EO2 is still canonically a direct sequel to EO1, even going as far as saying you're the same guild in a new location. It's the same world even if the plots of the stories are not related.

- EO3 has several references to previous games.

- An entire dungeon in EO4 is a thematic nod back to EO1 (though, again, the plots of the stories are not related).

Me too, I use the same guild name and a lot of the same character names in each game.

I didn't have a proper Guild name until EO4 but now I always use the same one. My team is always one guy named after me and 4 girls, which are usually named after my fiancée and some other friends.

I wish the Male designs weren't so boring because it's so difficult to find one I like, on the other hand Himuaki is godly at making me love every single girl he creates.

I'm a little more disappointed by the no male portraits for the hot springs DLC than I thought I would be, considering I A. will likely not get EO2 Untold anytime soon since I own and haven't beaten the original and B. Would probably skip the DLC even if I did get it.

Zweizer

Banned
I think the OP should include links to other relevants threads (like game-specific OTs and the import thread above).

omlet

Okay, another update to OP. Added entry for PQ and EOxMD. Touched up FAQ, added other OT links. Removed list of classes but expanded the explanation in the classes section. Added a bit more detail in battle system section. Hoping to get some new artwork soon as Dandy PMs me back.

Still have over 4000 characters freed up now so room to add some more FAQ or links if you guys have suggestions.

Kieli

One significant criticism I have for this series is that there is heavy asset re-use. I don't mind it from game to game.

But even within one game, I see the same rat with 5 different colours. It's not cool. Part of the sense of progression is seeing increasingly wacky and scary monsters. Not rats or plants or slimes in end-game dungeons. D:

I hope as the series gets bigger, the issue of budget will impede less so in this regard.

Parakeetman

Thanks for making the thread, I can't wait to read about what others think about the game.

yep no problem am just glad made it on schedule. never again with 2 OTs on the same day. unfortunately didnt have time to put everything i wanted though. &#931;(&#12494;&#1076;<)

Top Bottom