• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Zweizer

Banned
I finished Classic Untold mode but haven't finished Story.

Is it even worth it? haha

I wouldn't consider it "worth it", but I did it for the sake of complexion. I didn't find it particularily awful, just rather forgettable.
(I wouldn't advise any newcomer to begin with Story mode though, as it completely ruins the best twist of the entire series.)

Ricky and Raquna are pretty neat addition to my Classic party at least.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I finished Classic Untold mode but haven't finished Story.

Is it even worth it? haha

For moar Raquna oh yes. With jokes aside was having a good time with the story though had stopped since another title came along that i did an OT for i think?

Anteo

Ohlawd, Ohlawd, Ohlawd

Fuck Story mode.

Oh the bad guy is good in this one
Oh and we have to fight the post game boss.
And we get teleported to it
And a character sacrifices to weak it or make you stronger or whatever
And the fucking fight is the same thing as in the 5th stratum boss
And after you are done everyone is like yep we killed the boss, we have to go back to the library and you 2 have to go have kids or something, good bye!!!
and then the game goes like yeah you finished it, now we revive the character that died and you can actually explore the dungeon and do it properly now

I love lawdy-chan, but I have too much fun teasing him.

Ohlawd, Ohlawd, Ohlawd

Oh the bad guy is good in this one
Oh and we have to fight the post game boss.
And we get teleported to it
And a character sacrifices to weak it or make you stronger or whatever
And the fucking fight is the same thing as in the 5th stratum boss
And after you are done everyone is like yep we killed the boss, we have to go back to the library and you 2 have to go have kids or something, good bye!!!
and then the game goes like yeah you finished it, now we revive the character that died and you can actually explore the dungeon and do it properly now

gdi why?

Anteo

I love lawdy-chan, but I have too much fun teasing him.

gdi why?

becasue the game hyped up the "we have to kill the core or it will kill us all" thing, like they forgot that the core is post game. so they had to destroy the ending and put it back together somehow to make it work

its really stupid. They should have made it so they discover the "real" core is a thing in the post game, making players go "oh shit we actually have something important to do here"

Anteo

To be fair,
he kind of was in the original game as well.

I would not have a problem with just that, its just.. everything in the ending, Its like they really didnt know how to finish the game imo

Also, the virus that visil gives you, I remember it had a different effects every time I tried it, like it took much more health from the boss one time and i could never figure out why

spiritfox

To be fair,
he kind of was in the original game as well.

I like that in the original game the "heroes" are actually causing the fall of Etria with their actions. Then again, I don't know why couldn't Visil made them sign an NDA or something.

Zweizer

Banned
I would not have a problem with just that, its just.. everything in the ending, Its like they really didnt know how to finish the game imo

Also, the virus that visil gives you, I remember it had a different effects every time I tried it, like it took much more health from the boss one time and i could never figure out why

Oh, I agree.
It's just that this point wasn't really anything new, just that the execution was... unpleasant compared to the original.

I like that in the original game the "heroes" are actually causing the fall of Etria with their actions. Then again, I don't know why couldn't Visil made them sign an NDA or something.

Yep. It's part of why the first game's plot remains my favorite. So many things that go against your expectations, from what at first glance seems to be your classic fantasy setting dungeon crawler.

NichM

Banned

The "best" ending where you get 100% book completion is the saddest thing.

Anteo

Lets play a game guys

How would you fix Untold story mode? Change whatever you need to change it to make it work, all 5 characters stay and you must keep the alternate dungeon, though you can change when you start exploring it

Lets play a game guys

How would you fix Untold story mode? Change whatever you need to change it to make it work, all 5 characters stay and you must keep the alternate dungeon, though you can change when you start exploring it

By patching it out of the game.

omlet

Lets play a game guys

How would you fix Untold story mode?

Only fix under those conditions is to not have Ricky be a gunner stuck in cold sleep, but just another explorer in the team, maybe a friend of the trio, another Canadian, whatever. That way they're all in the dark until the twist and so is the player. But the best fix would be to have no indication of sci-fi at all until the reveal.

Anteo

because you know it's true.

I dont dislike it....
I just dont want them to make it the main part of EO and forget about classic

Only fix under those conditions is to not have Ricky be a gunner stuck in cold sleep, but just another explorer in the team, maybe a friend of the trio, another Canadian, whatever. That way they're all in the dark until the twist and so is the player. But the best fix would be to have no indication of sci-fi at all until the reveal.

I think the reveal has 2 parts, first is the "there was an ancient civilization with advanced tech", kind of like in Skyward Sword. Then you get to the 5th stratum and realize you are in Japan.

There should be a way to make both reveals work, sadly Raquna being from Canada is a big hint (or a small nod for some I guess)

spiritfox

The whole Canada thing is stupid. Couldn't they have made it less obvious, like not use real place names.

I guess she's from Hokkaido in the JP version?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Canada thing is LITERALLY the best thing about Story Mode in Untold. Full Stop. Not even how cool it is to have a Gunner in EO 1 comes close.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the best possible solution to story mode is to make it Dynamic. Have five presets with full VA and an engrossing story and allow you to generate premades at will, and every one you replace for one of the pregens takes out their dialogue. So if you bond with one or two of them, great keep them around. If you want your five homies to do all the stomping and none of this nonsense, great, do that too.

Rutger

Banned

Well, the game wants you to think that anyways. Considering what was discovered though, Etria is about to become the most technologically advanced city in the world.

Meh, I don't really have much to say about the story in Etrian Odyssey games, but the first's bothers me the most. The twist lost a lot of its appeal when I realized it required everyone to be really stupid. :/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well, the game wants you to think that anyways. Considering what was discovered though, Etria is about to become the most technologically advanced city in the world.

Meh, I don't really have much to say about the story in Etrian Odyssey games, but the first's bothers me the most. The twist lost a lot of its appeal when I realized it required everyone to be really stupid. :/

Isn't the main point of the twist of the first game that
everyone who got below a certain level was killed anyways and you're just the baddest of the bad who finally unveiled the whole thing?

omlet

Uh, no, it only required everyone else to be less awesome than your guild, because
Ren and Tlachtga (or anything past them) killed everyone before you got there and emerged victorious

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Uh, no, it only required everyone else to be less awesome than your guild, because
Ren and Tlachtga (or anything past them) killed everyone before you got there and emerged victorious

This is kind of a problem in all of the games except 4 though as you're supposedly heading into uncharted territory pretty quickly in 1-3 yet quests pop up almost immediately about a baker or something wanting something that they could never possibly know about from the new strata, or a long lost teammate or other junk.

omlet

Yeah, in that regard a lot of the quests in the first three games don't always make a lot of sense considering the drive of the main plot and setting.

However, I think they actually give a reason for what you're describing (or I'm just remembering something plausible that I made up myself lol), that being once your guild has cleared a floor, it becomes crawling with all the other less-awesome explorers following the trail you blazed.

Rutger

Banned
Isn't the main point of the twist of the first game that
everyone who got below a certain level was killed anyways and you're just the baddest of the bad who finally unveiled the whole thing?

True, the reason you make it far enough is because you're the best to ever challenge the labyrinth. The problem I have is you were not always that good, and Visil would have had no problem keeping you from finding everything out if he just used his position in Etria to outlaw exploration of the labyrinth, and kill anyone who made it a few floors in. He would keep his secret, and have far less blood on his hands.

I don't really see any of the EO game's stories as anything special, and it isn't too big of a problem because after all, it's just a game and your party would have found a way around it anyways, but that and the whole thing with your party happily going along with Visil's order to kill the Forest Folk bother me.

tuffy

I thought it would be neat if some of the random encounters turned out to be other parties exploring the labyrinth. One could either trade with them, gather information or just let them go on their way. As these friendly encounters got more and more rare as the game goes on (and vanishing entirely at the end game) it would reinforce just how far into uncharted territory you've gotten by their absence.

omlet

True, the reason you make it far enough is because you're the best to ever challenge the labyrinth. The problem I have is you were not always that good, and Visil would have had no problem keeping you from finding everything out if he just used his position in Etria to outlaw exploration of the labyrinth, and kill anyone who made it a few floors in. He would keep his secret, and have far less blood on his hands.

The town only exists because of starry-eyed adventurers like yourself who explore the labyrinth and keep the economy going. When you beat the game the NPCs even lament the fact that now the town might die out.

Rutger

Banned
The town only exists because of starry-eyed adventurers like yourself who explore the labyrinth and keep the economy going. When you beat the game the NPCs even lament the fact that now the town might die out.

I still don't understand why Visil, a man who would do anything to keep the past a secret, would value a town enough to try and keep it alive by allowing people a chance to get closer to the truth, but fair enough. Perhaps I'm thinking too much about an excuse for dungeon crawling.

Though the whole town dieing out after you beat the game shouldn't happen. There's gotta be plenty of things down in Shinjuku, outside that building we oddly decided not to explore, they can recreate and sell.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I thought it would be neat if some of the random encounters turned out to be other parties exploring the labyrinth. One could either trade with them, gather information or just let them go on their way. As these friendly encounters got more and more rare as the game goes on (and vanishing entirely at the end game) it would reinforce just how far into uncharted territory you've gotten by their absence.

or it can be terrible like elminage and high lv wandering parties stomp you lol

So i FINALLY beat Hollow Queen. Now i unlocked Arcanist class, however i am unsure whether the best course of action is to retire or rest my Medic who i want to replace/transform with an Arcanist? Resting gives me the same character with a different class, and all skillpoints available to that point minus 2 levels of the original one correct?

Retiring gives you a level 15 char. with some bonus stats? Not sure how hard it is to re-grind him up to par with the rest of the team who will then be even higher again hmmm or whether it's even necessary to do it this way if i just wanna clear the regular story mode?

Top Bottom