• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Zweizer

Banned
So i FINALLY beat Hollow Queen. Now i unlocked Arcanist class, however i am unsure whether the best course of action is to retire or rest my Medic who i want to replace/transform with an Arcanist? Resting gives me the same character with a different class, and all skillpoints available to that point minus 2 levels of the original one correct?

Retiring gives you a level 15 char. with some bonus stats? Not sure how hard it is to re-grind him up to par with the rest of the team who will then be even higher again hmmm or whether it's even necessary to do it this way if i just wanna clear the regular story mode?

Nope, resting doesn't allow you to change classes. Its only use is to redistribute skill points. If you want to switch out your Medic for an Arcanist, you'll have to retire.
For the level, check out the tavern. A NPC should be here to give out scrolls that immediately allow a character to get to level 25 (or somewhere around there).

Any party should be able to do just fine for the regular story so you're free to do whatever changes you want.

At least it's not a terribly difficult connection to make on a surface level. But I haven't played 4, so I don't know how easily that actually pans out.

Well, there is speculation, but the various throwbacks really can make you wonder. I don't want to spoil anything so maybe you should play 4 sometime.

Lets play a game guys

How would you fix Untold story mode? Change whatever you need to change it to make it work, all 5 characters stay and you must keep the alternate dungeon, though you can change when you start exploring it

Having recently finished Gladsheim Area II and going "Oh God, WHY!?" at how much was revealed so quickly, I suppose we could start with NOT FRIGGIN' REVEALING EVERYTHING. You guys weren't kidding about how bad it is. >.>

I can forgive Raquna being Canadian. I mean, no one has gone "Wait, if MH3 has Japanese hunters, then that means it must be set in a future where Godzilla and friends took over the world! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:" It just comes off as amusing more than anything and not something to put much thought into.
I'm also Candian, so...

Now, telling me "Pollution and global warming was killing us all. We created seven Yggdrasils (It was gonna be six, but we threw in Antarctica 'cuz whatevs) to combat it. With no pollution to feed on, they're gonna feed on us. Go kill them all, future person" less than half-way through the game? Yeah, no.

I've no idea what happens in the rest of the Areas or the rest of the Labyrinth yet (though I do know about
the Tokyo thing
), but I'm pretty sure they can't reveal much. Whatever is revealed though, I think they could've switched the order of revelations such that Area II's becomes the last Area's.

tuffy

Retiring gives you a level 15 char. with some bonus stats? Not sure how hard it is to re-grind him up to par with the rest of the team who will then be even higher again hmmm or whether it's even necessary to do it this way if i just wanna clear the regular story mode?
Once Arcanist becomes available you should also have access to some trainers in the quest pub by talking to the people there - the trainer should show up near the bottom. Each trainer can be used twice and instantly gets any character to a certain level. You'll get a new trainer as each class becomes available as a way to bring in someone with that class at an appropriate level without having to do a bunch of level grinding.

omlet

Who's Shishou?

Shishou is the girl on the cover of EO1, the blond paladin girl.

EO1ExplorersLog0.png

(It's the nickname given to her by Japanese players since she is sort of the iconic "leader" and canonically one of the older characters.)

ohlawd

EO1ExplorersLog0.png

(It's the nickname given to her by Japanese players since she is sort of the iconic "leader")

fuck, I thought I was being clever

Shishou = master = Mauricio = Dancer

Do I hear people hating on headband wearing landsknecht girl?

Literally attacking my EO soulmate class and girl. You people are the WORST!

spiritfox

EO1ExplorersLog0.png

(It's the nickname given to her by Japanese players since she is sort of the iconic "leader" and canonically one of the older characters.)

It's a nickname among Japanese fans for the blonde Protector (and other characters who look similar and might or might not be her as well), because of this comic:

'Teacher' is 'Shishou'. 'Medi-girl' is sometimes nicknamed 'Mediko' as well.

Oh that's what I thought, didn't know the nickname though.

Black haired Landshark x Blonde Fortress canon couple.

Zweizer

Banned
Bonus Shishou comic:

This comic was released on Atlus' Etrian Odyssey blog for the 5 year anniversary.

Credits to studmire from Danbooru for the translation. I typesetted it myself so sorry if it's a bit clunky.

tuffy

The male portraits are always in the same slots and share the same pose, so it's definitely a dude.

Even if it's not easy to tell by the picture.

PK Gaming

Bonus Shishou comic:

This comic was released on Atlus' Etrian Odyssey blog for the 5 year anniversary.

Credits to studmire from Danbooru for the translation. I typesetted it myself so sorry if it's a bit clunky.

Earlier today, I came across this comic while browsing through the EOIV artbook and I thought to myself: boy, I wish this comic was translated!

Thanks a million.

Hoping to find EOIII for a better price at my local game trade in store rather than Amazon. They want just as much for it as EOUntold.

jb1234

After a twenty minute boss fight in EO4 (the first boss), I had a Runemaster with 1 HP left. He had just a sliver of health remaining. Guess who got to go first?

RAGE.

So i now retired my Medic into an Arcanist and got her up to 25...

Thing is now though, i realize i no longer have a char to heal status ailments and revive... do i need to use those tedious items now for that until i get subclasses or is there a better way? btw: when DO i get subclasses again?

Zweizer

Banned
So i now retired my Medic into an Arcanist and got her up to 25...

Thing is now though, i realize i no longer have a char to heal status ailments and revive... do i need to use those tedious items now for that until i get subclasses or is there a better way? btw: when DO i get subclasses again?

You get subclasses halfway through the third stratum. If you have a Dancer, you can rely on them for heals and status ailments, but overall the third Area doesn't have too many monsters that can spread ailments compared to the second, so it's not necessary to carry 20 Theriacas.

i can but for revives im shit out of luck right? Nectars i guess ugh...

Also: Will she catch up quick enough to the rest of the team if i keep playing or should i grind some levels out with her alone out there to catch her up to 32 like the rest of my team?

tuffy

Also: Will she catch up quick enough to the rest of the team if i keep playing or should i grind some levels out with her alone out there to catch her up to 32 like the rest of my team?
If you want to even out levels in a hurry (which I always like to do), now's a good time to bring in some QR code characters from the Cargo Wharf. You can generate a code for a single character on your guild card, then scan that code in to make a "clone" of that character to add to your guild. Just repeat that process for the rest of your party.

QR code characters don't get any experience, or any share of experience. So padding out a whole party with them ensures the character you're working on gets 100% of the experience from every fight without having to do all the work themselves.

Zweizer

Banned

Unless you're particularily OCD about matching levels for the party (I know that feel), she should be fine, and the gap will feel smaller as you progress.

Here's a little tip, don't understimate the usefulness of items in EO. My dancer and Arcanist set their dances/circles and then were free to use items or do other stuff, it's much better than just waste a spot for someone that can revive.

You can later subclass your Arcanist as a Medic anyways, and just dump some points on Revive.

Thanks for the tips... I guess i don't feel like doing the QR thing after all so i'll just have her catch up naturally i think...

Also: I just realised i might have misjudged how circles work in this game. I always thought you set a circle which either hits or doesn't hit in THAT moment and then those enemies that get hit by say poison will stay poisoned for 3 rounds. Now i somehow see that these circles RETRY to take effect EACH turn and they may hit a previously unaffected enemy the next turn then?

Top Bottom