• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City |OT| -- Fight & Heal Sail the Open Seas!

Salsa

Someday, i will commit to play these games.

I have the first one but i never played it for more than an hour. Must be the one series of DS games that i still need to play.

electricpirate said:
Subclasses really beaf a party up.

i think subclasses was a lazy new feature. instead of doing interesting branching promotions, they decided to merge existing classes to create some impersonal mishmash. the compatibility between classes varies alot, you'll end up with boring cookie cutter builds after you studied the skill list for half an hour for every one of your characters.

Riou

So i have a question about the forth floor. I encountered that ninja that asks for your help to beat Narmer. Does answering yes or no effect anything? I refused to help him and was wondering if thats gonna bite me in the ass later on in the game :lol

Riou said:
So i have a question about the forth floor. I encountered that ninja that asks for your help to beat Narmer. Does answering yes or no effect anything? I refused to help him and was wondering if thats gonna bite me in the ass later on in the game :lol

I believe answering yes has the Zodiac girl handing over some info on how to chase Narmer down. Otherwise, no real effects.

One shot endbosses
Kujara and Scylla-lookin' Princess
going in blind. Levels 53-55. Woulda been even faster and cleaner if I'd brought the Arbalist instead of the Z; Prince/Monk wins again.

Checking other path later on and mopping up sixth stratum later.

ijed

SatelliteOfLove said:
Prince/Monk wins again.

Why not Monk/Prince? More tec and form Qi == cheaper heals and plenty of TP ... just using mine in the backrow ... also funny how as soon as you put a point into royal veil monsters go out of their way to hit the prince 0.o

ijed said:
Why not Monk/Prince? More tec and form Qi == cheaper heals and plenty of TP ... just using mine in the backrow ... also funny how as soon as you put a point into royal veil monsters go out of their way to hit the prince 0.o

Sat on points with the monk, and found the Prince/Monk and Dark Ether (Z's a mana battery if she didn't have a weakness to exploit) was more than enough to keep juice in the tank for almost all fights, and that one fight's problem was cured with more Therica Bs and respeccing said Z to Ice Prophecy (poor Z, she musta felt like she was in a DQ game by that point. "More Oomph, Mr. Gladiator, sir?" :lol

Boogiepop

So, I'm one step away from 100%ing the game, but incredibly frustrated. Does anyone know how the spawning mechanics on the
Overlord Squid, or I guess Sea Milk. I know where they appear, but I can't get anything to show up in those spots no matter what I try, after the first few showed up.
(minor sailing spoilers) work? I just can't figure this out, and it's leaving me rather frustrated.

Mank said:
So, I'm one step away from 100%ing the game, but incredibly frustrated. Does anyone know how the spawning mechanics on the
Overlord Squid, or I guess Sea Milk. I know where they appear, but I can't get anything to show up in those spots no matter what I try, after the first few showed up.
(minor sailing spoilers) work? I just can't figure this out, and it's leaving me rather frustrated.

I think it's a 2% chance, and equipping a Fishing Net apparently makes that chance worse.

Happy hunting.

Neo C.

Pureauthor said:
I think it's a 2% chance, and equipping a Fishing Net apparently makes that chance worse.

Happy hunting.
I can see me sailing forever during after game. :lol

I'm right at the end of the 5th Stratum. Still need to beat the red FOE there.

Can't believe how long I've slept on this game, but I have a good excuse, Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite has consumed roughly 50 hours of my life and almost all of my time commuting to and from work for the last few months.

Kind of stopped on the verge of getting things going with my Royal. With 5 points set to Royal Veil, another 5 to Triumphant Cry and my first point to Monarch March I'm almost set to start seriously making a push into the third floor of the first Stratum :lol

Boogiepop

Finally got it, the Overlord Squid.
I'd like to confirm that it does in fact seem to be 24 hours spent in the dungeon, not counting horseplay. However, reducing encounter rate does work, and using horseplay accidentally doesn't "ruin" your run through.
Doing the 24 hours will spawn the fish in 2 of the locations. These location will stay constant "IE Reef, Seaweed, loop in the far east." Resetting the locations by going in and out won't cause them to disappear, but catching them will. Soft resetting doesn't screw things up.
I'd recommend getting the 24 hours and then fishing your other group so they only appear in the seaweed (easiest to get to/control), then saving, then changing up the location till there is only one fish in the seaweed and soft resetting if it isn't the Overlord Squid.
Hope this helps somebody out, and yay at finally having 100%.
I'm completely finished with this game now, so back to Dragon Quest IX!
(Also, did anyone else manage to go through this whole game without realizing you could sidestep in the dungeon with L/R? Totally blew my mind when I realized it a week or two ago.)

Mank said:
Finally got it, the Overlord Squid.
I'd like to confirm that it does in fact seem to be 24 hours spent in the dungeon, not counting horseplay. However, reducing encounter rate does work, and using horseplay accidentally doesn't "ruin" your run through.
Doing the 24 hours will spawn the fish in 2 of the locations. These location will stay constant "IE Reef, Seaweed, loop in the far east." Resetting the locations by going in and out won't cause them to disappear, but catching them will. Soft resetting doesn't screw things up.
I'd recommend getting the 24 hours and then fishing your other group so they only appear in the seaweed (easiest to get to/control), then saving, then changing up the location till there is only one fish in the seaweed and soft resetting if it isn't the Overlord Squid.
Hope this helps somebody out, and yay at finally having 100%.
I'm completely finished with this game now, so back to Dragon Quest IX!
(Also, did anyone else manage to go through this whole game without realizing you could sidestep in the dungeon with L/R? Totally blew my mind when I realized it a week or two ago.)

I did, but can't. Damn triggers broke just as I got EOIII.

hey everyone. i havent been reading this thread much due to avoiding spoilers but ive beat the game (or at least the first time) and im wondering
where are the three dragons that you fight. i have discovered the floating island already. i got messages that there were dragons on certain floors but i didnt pay attention to them because i stopped with that to level up other classes and do some quests and junk

edit
i found and beat the golden dragon, not sure where the other 2 are

I love the No events--In your travels through the labyrinth you stumble across a hollowed out tree and notice a small, furry animal whimpering inside, do you retrieve and attempt to help the animal or leave it be and continue in your journey?--in this game. I do them all expecting horrible things to occur and every time they've worked out in my favor, thus far. I'm only four floors in, that record could drastically change for the worse the deeper I go.

jaundicejuice said:
I love the No events--In your travels through the labyrinth you stumble across a hollowed out tree and notice a small, furry animal whimpering inside, do you retrieve and attempt to help the animal or leave it be and continue in your journey?--in this game. I do them all expecting horrible things to occur and every time they've worked out in my favor, thus far. I'm only four floors in, that record could drastically change for the worse the deeper I go.

They didn't bring back that motherfucking sonofabitch squirrel from the other two, that's why.

Gotta roll with two warp wires!

Hit my first party wipe out on the 4th floor, going to set the Bucaneer, Ninja and Alchemist aside for the time being, and bust out my Hoplite, Monk and Arbalist. Gonn ahave to train and gear them up before I try to tackle
the Harmer
again.

jaundicejuice said:

my farmer and some other class would help me out whenever something bad happened 90% of the time.

sphinx

the piano man
I've been playing this game for the last 2 months and nothing else. Damn, it's longer than the last EO1 and 2

I am going for a complete 100% file and while I am getting near, I still have to unlock all the weapons and lots of stuff...I guess I'll complete it somewhere in the next 2 weeks, I hope at least.

Neo C.

Finally finished the first run. I wanted to fight
Alraune
first, but that bitch was just too cruel. The boss of the fifth stratum wasn't hard.

I had to stop using my DSi, both of the shoulder buttons are completely unresponsive. Can't side-step through the dungeon, can't trigger auto-battle in a useless encounter. Canned air temporarily resolves the issue, but the buttons always end up being unresponsive after a short while. Had to bust out my DS Lite to play this properly.

First attempt at
the Harmer
with my new party ended in sadness. I almost had the bugger when he started spamming that
dive attack. Six spots to attack, which one is he in? Apparently he rotates his position and doesn't always give you two turns at the whack-a-mole mini-game to figure out where. Guess wrong, don't block, you're fucked!
I ran out of curative items, then my monk died, which, thanks to aesthetic rewards, was almost enough for the end-game push, but the bastard won the war of attrition.

No biggie, I just did a few more dungeon runs, focusing on doing side-quests for loot and experience. Started trying my hand at all of the FOE's in the first stratum, encounters I can now survive. Once I acquire a bit more gear, gonna go
fuck the Harmer up.

I don't know why I'm using spoiler tags when I am likely the furthest behind in this game.

Edit: AHAHAHAHA!
The Narmer, just realised I've been calling it the Harmer
, can't hide from the Galdiator's Rampage. No more whack-a-mole, I hit everything all at once.

Crazetex said:
Suck on 'em.

Or, you know, canned air.

Edit:
Narmer
defeated with ease, now on to the second stratum :) I know it's primitive looking, but damn this is a beautiful game, as is the soudtrack. I just love Yuzo Koshiro's work in these games.

Crazetex

Sucking is more fun!

Just got this for Christmas. I want to finish Devil Survivor first, but I checked out the menus and stuff. I actually like all of the townspeople; nobody beats the innkeeper or Shilleka(?) in the first game, but everybody looks cool. I love the Mediterranean/Asian cross-over look going on. And, uh, we can see the explorer's guild manager's face! Nice.

Hopefully the shopkeep is as wild as Shillkekakkeikika or as adorable as the little girl in the second game.

I love the art direction with the new classes, and the absolutely sexy new menus make it even better. The streamlining of the menus, the better skill names, the tossing of boring stat-up passives except HP/TP Up, common skills, some absolutely striking color variations for characters... wow. I might actually beat this one!

EOII I could probably go back to, but after seeing how far the series has come with this game I doubt I could ever touch EOI again.

So I am trying to decide if it's worth it to finish. I started looking at games ratings (and books, movies, etc). Because an overall rating really does indicate a superior game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/etrian-odyssey-iii-the-drowned-city/critic-reviews
That is the link to Metacritic. The EO 3 game is at 76. This is generally favorable, but it is still like a C if it were a grade.

My experience playing was moderately enjoyable, but it was harder than EO 2 and EO 1 for me. Perhaps because of being out of practice. Do you think it would be worthwhile to try and play through the rest of it?

(And yeah, I am at the end of the first stratum. The boss seemed tough. I haven't touched the game in a month.)

vareon

whiterabbit said:
So I am trying to decide if it's worth it to finish. I started looking at games ratings (and books, movies, etc). Because an overall rating really does indicate a superior game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/etrian-odyssey-iii-the-drowned-city/critic-reviews
That is the link to Metacritic. The EO 3 game is at 76. This is generally favorable, but it is still like a C if it were a grade.

My experience playing was moderately enjoyable, but it was harder than EO 2 and EO 1 for me. Perhaps because of being out of practice. Do you think it would be worthwhile to try and play through the rest of it?

(And yeah, I am at the end of the first stratum. The boss seemed tough. I haven't touched the game in a month.)

Eh, you'll miss out many great gems that way. The best way to know if a game's worthwhile for me is reading people's impressions of the game instead of scores, and GAF's a wonderful place for that. Unless you really don't have time reading impressions, I guess. Higher overall rating indicates the game is well-liked among reviewers, superior or not is just a matter of your taste.

As for the game itself, the last EO I played was EO 1 years ago. I reached the end of the second stratum now without much trouble :D so don't worry about difficulty. As for the boss, well it IS tough, the usual EO tough.
You have a chance to rest after chipping away half of its HP though, so make sure you do. At least I did.

vareon said:
Eh, you'll miss out many great gems that way. The best way to know if a game's worthwhile for me is reading people's impressions of the game instead of scores, and GAF's a wonderful place for that. Unless you really don't have time reading impressions, I guess. Higher overall rating indicates the game is well-liked among reviewers, superior or not is just a matter of your taste.

As for the game itself, the last EO I played was EO 1 years ago. I reached the end of the second stratum now without much trouble :D so don't worry about difficulty. As for the boss, well it IS tough, the usual EO tough.
You have a chance to rest after chipping away half of its HP though, so make sure you do. At least I did.

Yeah that's a good point. I think scores are still worth taking into an account when looking into a new game, though.

I will try to continue this eventually, but it was trying my patience quite a bit when I last played.

Nice avatar, by the way.

I don't get sailing in this game. I made some initial progress, grabbed some better rations and a net to help me catch more fish in one go but aside from that I've just been spinning my wheels. I've been making better progress down into the second stratum than I have sailing.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
whiterabbit said:

Games are such a personal experience. I don't know how people can make judgments like this. I got a shitload more enjoyment out of EO3 than I did out of, say, Red Dead, yet Red Dead was reviewed much higher. Why do you let others tell you what you'll like?

jaundicejuice said:
I don't get sailing in this game. I made some initial progress, grabbed some better rations and a net to help me catch more fish in one go but aside from that I've just been spinning my wheels. I've been making better progress down into the second stratum than I have sailing.

One of the things the game completely drops the ball on is telling you that each new stratum unlocks new things you can use for sailing in order to explore further.

That said, but the second stratum you should have been able to visit a variety of towns. What's you max movement right now?

Pureauthor said:
One of the things the game completely drops the ball on is telling you that each new stratum unlocks new things you can use for sailing in order to explore further.

That said, but the second stratum you should have been able to visit a variety of towns. What's you max movement right now?

Dried Peas, the first food stuff you unlock through exploration, so 8 tiles. To provide some context for my progress within the dungeon,
I just used the Ocean Pearl, or whatever, to stop the currents that make navigation in the second stratum difficult-ish.
I am currently getting rocked by the fauna of B8.

Okay, then, visit an island near Armoroad. It should have Goat/Sheep farmers in the region. They will request that you bring them some Armoroad Cedar.

Armoroad Cedar is found on the same island as Armroad - move to the left from your starting point and search there.

In return, they'll offer you Goat Cheese, which boosts your movement to 16.

Keep working from there.

Oh man, I vaguely recall being tasked with finding Armoroad Cedar.

Edit: Fuck, I even have a note on my sea map "bring cedar" for an island that's near where you acquire the dired peas if I recall correctly. Thanks for the reminder.

commish said:
Games are such a personal experience. I don't know how people can make judgments like this. I got a shitload more enjoyment out of EO3 than I did out of, say, Red Dead, yet Red Dead was reviewed much higher. Why do you let others tell you what you'll like?

Yeah. I agree. But I would like to think that objectively, games can be reviewed unanimously high scores, which reflects that they are indeed good games. Some problems with games would dock points, hence a lower score. This would reflect a more esoteric, inaccessible, buggy, unbalanced, or otherwise flawed game.

I actually bought Red Dead recently, but I haven't played it yet. I did buy Demon's Souls, but that was really hyped here as well as getting high scores. I think it was very overrated personally and I didn't feel like continuing past the first boss. It was a good experience, though, and I can see that there is a good game there. If only I was as hardcore as I used to be, but I'm really a casual player nowadays. Perhaps too casual for EO too.

If I do decide to play it again, I'll post my team up here for critique. I think I might've gimped myself somehow.

vareon

whiterabbit said:
Yeah. I agree. But I would like to think that objectively, games can be reviewed unanimously high scores, which reflects that they are indeed good games. Some problems with games would dock points, hence a lower score. This would reflect a more esoteric, inaccessible, buggy, unbalanced, or otherwise flawed game.

I actually bought Red Dead recently, but I haven't played it yet. I did buy Demon's Souls, but that was really hyped here as well as getting high scores. I think it was very overrated personally and I didn't feel like continuing past the first boss. It was a good experience, though, and I can see that there is a good game there. If only I was as hardcore as I used to be, but I'm really a casual player nowadays. Perhaps too casual for EO too.

If I do decide to play it again, I'll post my team up here for critique. I think I might've gimped myself somehow.

You'll get that Demon's Souls case a lot if you go by reviews, though. I don't know about you, but shelling out $30+ for something I might not enjoy is quite heavy for me.

You're not wrong that some games that have gotten higher scores are better, though. It comes down to whether you choose to play a "better" game--that is well balanced, bug free, higher production values, etc etc--but you don't know whether you enjoy that type of game, or choose to play another game you're sure to like despite its glaring flaws. I simply choose the latter. Hey if I don't, I probably will never play the original Etrian Odyssey :D

Back on the game, nearing the end of second stratum now. Damn the random encounters are heavy. I came across a door that might lead to the stratum boss, so I'm going back and resupply. The Abyssal Twigs are quite hard to get :( I need it to forge my G's weapon.

vareon said:
You'll get that Demon's Souls case a lot if you go by reviews, though. I don't know about you, but shelling out $30+ for something I might not enjoy is quite heavy for me.
I picked it up when it was 20. Final Fantasy XIII at 20 although I hear that it's a disappoinment. Slow moving, etc. But it got a fairly decent score so I'll have to decide for myself. But on principle, I agree. I was thinking of trying out GameFly for that very reason.

You're not wrong that some games that have gotten higher scores are better, though. It comes down to whether you choose to play a "better" game--that is well balanced, bug free, higher production values, etc etc--but you don't know whether you enjoy that type of game, or choose to play another game you're sure to like despite its glaring flaws. I simply choose the latter. Hey if I don't, I probably will never play the original Etrian Odyssey :D

I thought I'd like EO3 despite a medium score, and it being similar to EO 1 and 2, but I don't know. It's more me than it is the game.

vareon

Goddamit I hate the damaging tiles. I'm at the beginning of the third stratum now. What's the best way to explore this? Do I have to stock a lot of items that nullify the tile damage?

Since finding and trading the Armoroad Cedar my progress in exploring the ocean has been pretty explosive. Found food stuffs that allow me 20 turns, items that boost the movement of each tile by 1, dramatically increased the number of fish I can catch, increase my luck, etc. Found a number of cities, finally getting some improvements for my boat. It's nice to have this aspect of the game finally open up.

vareon said:
Goddamit I hate the damaging tiles. I'm at the beginning of the third stratum now. What's the best way to explore this? Do I have to stock a lot of items that nullify the tile damage?

Doesn't the Monk have a skill you can use to nullify damage tiles. Fire Walk I think it is.

vareon

jaundicejuice said:
Since finding and trading the Armoroad Cedar my progress in exploring the ocean has been pretty explosive. Found food stuffs that allow me 20 turns, items that boost the movement of each tile by 1, dramatically increased the number of fish I can catch, increase my luck, etc. Found a number of cities, finally getting some improvements for my boat. It's nice to have this aspect of the game finally open up.

Doesn't the Monk have a skill you can use to nullify damage tiles. Fire Walk I think it is.

Nullify, no. Reduce damage. While it's quite useful I'd rather not invest points to that :| oh well.

Also if you have Monarch March at level 10 (Prince(ss) class, obviously) it negates the damage from 3rd Stratum damage tiles.

6th Stratum damage tiles are another story.

Top Bottom