• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City |OT| -- Fight & Heal Sail the Open Seas!

Stage On

I just picked up a copy of this yesterday after hearing on podcasts that it was more accessible then the first two.

I haven't had a chance to start it up yet thanks to work but I'm wondering if it's still worth it to go back and get copies of 1 and 2 or if the 3rd game just makes them redundant

Stage On said:
I just picked up a copy of this yesterday after hearing on podcasts that it was more accessible then the first two.

I haven't had a chance to start it up yet thanks to work but I'm wondering if it's still worth it to go back and get copies of 1 and 2 or if the 3rd game just makes them redundant

I have the second, it's hard to imagine me going back and playing it more, though I liked it at the time.

EDIT: looks like they did another production run on EOII, last time I checked they were expensive, they are more reasonably priced now.

TheChaos

Augemitbutter said:
4th stratum boss will kick your ass if you're underleveled.

looks like i'll have to waste some hours to survive her AE attack, lame :(

She's a joke if you get the accessory that reduces ice damage and put it on all your chars.

Stage On said:

Consumables are cheaper this go around. MUCH cheaper.

You have the option of setting up camp in the labrynth.

Combat Study saves time.

Subclassing removes alot of the danger of speccing.

This is more balanced than it would seem, however.

TheChaos said:
She's a joke if you get the accessory that reduces ice damage and put it on all your chars.

i tried that already on three of my characters, but then i got killed by confusion. maybe it's just bad luck, but i'll keep trying.

Boogiepop

Huh, just reached the final boss and honestly... it didn't seem too bad. I mean, I beat
Kujura... or w/e his name is
and honestly only went down afterwords due to my only bringing a single amrita III and nothing else for TP healage. I'm thinking I should be able to deal with this easy once I go ahead and farm out all the drops and whatnot from the stratum and finish off my last few quests.

Gattsu25

Banned
What's the recommended level for B2?

I have the first floor locked down, uncovered every square that I can, and can kill all the enemies on it.

I get in a fight with that large fucking bird on B2 (and that bird was in ~8 of the 10 fights that I got in, over all the times that I visited that floor) and it slaughters my back row every time.

So around what level should I be before I try to seriously tackle that floor?

2-4.

Generally, multiply floor level by 2.5 and you have a pretty good idea.

Anyway, in regards to the Largebill - you're not paying enough attention to the game. :D

hey everyone so ive been avoiding this thread to avoid spoilers but now i need some help. on the sailing part how do i get to the third foothold? im pretty sure i have the equipment needed to do so and on the main part im on the 5th Stratum.

sphinx

the piano man
hi people. What are some nice sub-class mixes of yours?

I am hoping a Wildling and Hoplite make for a good combination since they both can execute spear attacks. I went Monk -> gladiator for club attacks as well.

Am I doing it right??

TheChaos said:

"OH IM ALMOST DEAD, IMMA SPAM KISS NOW" *smooch* 250 healed *smooch* 440 healed *smooch* 680 healed, one dead *smooch* 1260 healed, 3 dead

Cunt.

goldenticket said:
hey everyone so ive been avoiding this thread to avoid spoilers but now i need some help. on the sailing part how do i get to the third foothold? im pretty sure i have the equipment needed to do so and on the main part im on the 5th Stratum.

If you have the ability to go through reefs, Foremast, and 24 move, third Foothold should be a snap. Just start from the second foothold and head North. (I think you might need to blow up a pirate ship on the way, too)

SatelliteOfLove said:
"OH IM ALMOST DEAD, IMMA SPAM KISS NOW" *smooch* 250 healed *smooch* 440 healed *smooch* 680 healed, one dead *smooch* 1260 healed, 3 dead

Cunt.

It only does high damage if you're statused, you know. :/

sphinx said:

I am hoping a Wildling and Hoplite make for a good combination since they both can execute spear attacks. I went Monk -> gladiator for club attacks as well.

Am I doing it right??

As a general rule, use subclasses to support what your main class is doing.

One of the more popular combinations is Hoplite/Ninja. Bunshin, Line Guard both rows every turn.

Mr_Appleby said:
I've got nearly the same party - replace ninja with farmer - but sounds like quite different uses of them. Monk only has enough healing to keep the prince topped up when needed, otherwise the Prince does all the healing through passive regen and the "gain hp when buffing" skill.

resurrection is handled by staying at camps (farmer skill) or using a nectar. it's rare enough that i'm not convinced i need a stand-alone skill for it yet.

I haven't reached subclasses yet - on second stratum like you, all around level 23 - but from what i have (accidentally ;) ) read here and elsewhere subbing a prince as monk is less effective than you might think since the heal rate is lower since you have prince stats, not monk. again i haven't tried it so YMMV.
Innnnteresting. Maybe I'll switch it around then, and subclass my Monk into a prince.

I really don't know enough about the subclass mechanics to know if that would work instead. I'll see soon I guess. Also, Zodiac-> Ninja-> TP reduction skill seems like a no brainer pretty soon here.

electricpirate said:
I really don't know enough about the subclass mechanics to know if that would work instead. I'll see soon I guess. Also, Zodiac-> Ninja-> TP reduction skill seems like a no brainer pretty soon here.

It does, until you realize that you can't get the Class skill from subclassing.

If you want, you could get a Ninja/Zodiac and pump TEC instead, but then you lose the benefits of Ether Mastery.

Neo C.

Augemitbutter said:
i retired my complete team at 40 and it took forever to get back to the 4th stratum and kick some ass. two days passed and i'm back at 36. i always have a farmer with me.
Is there a reason to retire a member at 40 instead of 70?
Or: How does retiring work in EOIII (compared to EOII)?

sphinx said:

Am I doing it right??
I subclassed all my 22 characters, always trying to be different (one monk -> buccaneer, other monk -> gladiator).
There's no real bad combination, some subclasses are rather difficult though (farmer + wildling for example, because their class skill is essential).

Totakeke

Finished the normal story, I don't think I ever bought any equipment in the last stratum. Team of Gladiator/Arbalist, Hoplite/Monk, Monk/Princess, Wildling/Hoplite, Zodiac/Arbalist. Changed two of my members before my last stratum.

What a disappointment that was, plot, story, and bosses wise. Compared to EO1, what a huge letdown. ;( Yeah, it's not the "true ending" but still that was kinda lame. And especially the last stratum, whose bright idea was to have the last stratum filled with reskins of non-intimidating monsters except for one? EO1's fifth stratum was so awesome.

Pureauthor said:
If you have the ability to go through reefs, Foremast, and 24 move, third Foothold should be a snap. Just start from the second foothold and head North. (I think you might need to blow up a pirate ship on the way, too)

It only does high damage if you're statused, you know. :/

As a general rule, use subclasses to support what your main class is doing.

One of the more popular combinations is Hoplite/Ninja. Bunshin, Line Guard both rows every turn.

Yes. What wasn't known was just how much "underleveled" was. 2 levels grinding for upgrades after a near-oneshot. Keep in mind, that boss is the hellspawn lovechild of Scylla and Vritra, and can't just be worked for strengths or weaknesses much. A couple more levels and upgrades should do it.

Neo C. said:
Is there a reason to retire a member at 40 instead of 70?
Or: How does retiring work in EOIII (compared to EOII)?

i figured it was the best time for me since i didn't plan on playing until level 70 or higher:

Retire at Level 30-39 4
Retire at Level 40-49 5
Retire at Level 50-59 6
Retire at Level 60-69 7
Retire at Level 70-98 8
Retire at Level 99 10 skill points

it was a waste of time, since it took too long to reclaim my old level. i'm at the 5th stratum now on 2nd floor, my party is at level 41 and i retired at the beginning of the 4th.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Yes. What wasn't known was just how much "underleveled" was. 2 levels grinding for upgrades after a near-oneshot. Keep in mind, that boss is the hellspawn lovechild of Scylla and Vritra, and can't just be worked for strengths or weaknesses much. A couple more levels and upgrades should do it.

she's also weirdly coded. on my last fight with her my party started missing their attacks when she was on her last straw. in three or four attack rounds, i missed 80% of all attacks on her for no apparent reason. i'm glad i passed that piece of crap.

Boogiepop

Well then, beat the "final boss" and am now in the new game+, but... eh, I think I'll take a break and plow my way through Professor Layton before I get into the postgame content, seeing how I've been putting that off.

Gattsu25

Banned
Thanks for the help, all. I restarted the game, swapping out one of my back row drones for a Farmer. Up to floor B4 now and am doing much better now. Farmers kick ass.

Kid Marin

Am i the only one thinking that the B20F boss
Automaton King
looks a lot like
Nadia's brother
from Nadia The Secret of Blue Water ?

finished this game a week ago. it was allright, the novelty is long gone. i couldn't get comfortable with the sailing part til the end, so i left one-third of it unexplored. too bad you can't get the true ending on your first playthrough.

i don't think i'll do another playthrough.

ijed

Neo C. said:
Entering fourth Stratum. Got a new class and played with it for a while.

Me too - went with the
shogun
spent the weekend trying out different subs - S/B with dual jolly rogers and swashbuckling is this shiz :D

Boogiepop

So... I just beat the game a second time through, this time with the other path. However, I realized that I totally forgot to "report" the quest on the first time through before starting a new game+. Also, they seem to be prompting me into the last stratum when I loaded my game data. So... what exactly should I be doing right now on my way to the "true ending"?

polg

Mank said:
So... I just beat the game a second time through, this time with the other path. However, I realized that I totally forgot to "report" the quest on the first time through before starting a new game+. Also, they seem to be prompting me into the last stratum when I loaded my game data. So... what exactly should I be doing right now on my way to the "true ending"?

How long did it take you? The pace on this one is a lot better than in the previous 2, but just before unlocking the first boss, I feel that I need to grind quite a lot before facing it :(

Boogiepop

... God damn these
Dragons
are impossibly hard, if the first floor one is any indication. You need to beat these to raise the level up gap, right? Any good strategies for them? It looks like you NEED either a hoplite or zodiac with the skills to block their super attacks, but seeing how I don't have either of those on my team, I'll have to sub in or something. Argh. This is annoying.

It's been that way since the first EO, though.

A risky alternative would be Shogun/Buccaneer with Limit boosting stuff (+ the skill). In between Swashbuckling every turn you can set up Aegis Shield every time they break out the super elemental breath.

Neo C.

Mank said:
... God damn these
Dragons
are impossibly hard, if the first floor one is any indication. You need to beat these to raise the level up gap, right?
can someone explain this to me?

Neo C. said:
can someone explain this to me?

Cap it is supposed to be, not gap. I think you can only level up until you hit 70, and you have to beat bosses so that you can unlock the ability to level up to 99 or something to that effect

scy

Dragon
is probably one of the easier ones if only because he doesn't do anything super annoying except limit your buff amount (<12 for >50% HP, <7 for <50% HP). Damage wise, all of the
dragons
follow the same trend: 1 Elemental attack used every 5 turns (and the first turn) and two physical types (Cut/Bash, Bash/Cut, and Bash/Stab).

Basically, if you can AntiX/X Prophecy every 1/5/10/etc. turn then you have nothing to fear from their elemental damage; if you wear 2x Crush Amulets, you'll never take Bash damage from any of them. 1x Slice Amulet + 1x Cut Mist (or 1x Pierce + 1x Stab Mist for
Drake
) means you'll never take any Physical damage either, regardless of your Defense.

Worth noting they can break their elemental rotation to do a different attack but they'll never use their elemental attack outside of that rotation.

Neo C.

robotzombie said:
Cap it is supposed to be, not gap. I think you can only level up until you hit 70, and you have to beat bosses so that you can unlock the ability to level up to 99 or something to that effect
I understand this. I'm rather looking for how the cap is raised by beating 1, 2, or 3 of them.

scy

Neo C. said:
I understand this. I'm rather looking for how the cap is raised by beating 1, 2, or 3 of them.

Beating 1 raises it to 80, beating another raises it to 90 and beating the last raises it to 99. It's just a reward for beating them the first time.

ijed

Neo C. said:
Fifth stratum, it looks good.

And the ship is finally prepared for longer journey.

In sync yo - just reached 5th also ... so I should get a ship upgrade too? Think I just need another slot so I have
mast, seaweed sailing and reef sailing
then I can reach
4th foothold

ijed said:
In sync yo - just reached 5th also ... so I should get a ship upgrade too? Think I just need another slot so I have
mast, seaweed sailing and reef sailing
then I can reach
4th foothold

You need the Latin Sail to reach the 4th foothold. Do you have that?

ijed

Pureauthor said:
You need the Latin Sail to reach the 4th foothold. Do you have that?

Not yet - just found
Damavan
and got an extra slot so I think I should be right now ta

EDIT: Yep Latin Flag get!

Subclasses really beaf a party up. I got wiped three times by those fuckin
deep ones you first meet
. Added a few subclasses ( Ninja/zodiac, 1TP dark ethers nom nom, Hoplite/ninja (bunshin then just anti cold with one of the clones, my zodiac was basically spamming Etheric charge-> Fire star on the weaker, one, and 2 hoplites are just soaking damage like crazy.

I'll see how gamebreaking Ninja/Zodiac or hoplite/Ninja is, but they seem pretty awesome.

Yet it's surprisingly balanced for this
except for Prince/Monk...ye gods men...

At the end boss's door. Imma see what it's all about tonight.

ijed

sweet

electricpirate said:
I'll see how gamebreaking Ninja/Zodiac or hoplite/Ninja is, but they seem pretty awesome.

Made a Hoplite/
shogun
for
blitz command
when he's not line/bodyguarding which is alright but an exploding bunshin Hop/Ninja sounds much more handy.... also my Farmer/Ninja with Kubikiri is great value too :)

Top Bottom