• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City |OT| -- Fight & Heal Sail the Open Seas!

Althane

EO1 > EO2 really only gave you a moderately useful item... and the code for it was given out by Altus anyways.

Was still cool though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Althane said:
EO1 > EO2 really only gave you a moderately useful item... and the code for it was given out by Altus anyways.

Was still cool though.

BZZZT WRONG.

It also carried over your guild name, changed a few dialog options, gave you less free stuff on the first floor and changed the results of one event on floor one. :lol

The password was only given out due to an error present in some copies of the game that mangled the password. Mine worked fine.

Yeah, I remember hearing that EO2 had transfer stuff, which is why I said it's a little disappointing that EO3 has nothing. I know the classes are all new, etc, but still, it's too bad they didn't do something.

alanias

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is this still limited to one save slot? With Strange Journey moving to two slots I was hopeful me and my Wife could share one cart...

Althane

Man God said:
BZZZT WRONG.

It also carried over your guild name, changed a few dialog options, gave you less free stuff on the first floor and changed the results of one event on floor one. :lol

The password was only given out due to an error present in some copies of the game that mangled the password. Mine worked fine.

Sorry, I used the Altus code since I never beat EO1.

I'm a cheater, I know. ^^;;

Also, the third stratum's last floor is actually EASIER than the second stratum's... at least to me (those stupid century turtles were a pain in the ass). Still haven't found the boss though. This place is a freakin' maze.

Neo C.

I'm at the end of the second stratum, and there are still some items I can't get. The red starfish for example: there's a hint about blinding them, but it doesn't work.

3rd Stratum's midboss fight:

Got lucky and the Head Bind on the Deep Lady lasted an absurdly long time. Was able to win the fight with a completely subpar team.

I'm at the end of the second stratum, and there are still some items I can't get. The red starfish for example: there's a hint about blinding them, but it doesn't work.

That has nothing to do with them being Blind, the game is just telling you that they have a very high susceptibility to Blind in order to help you out.

The Conditional Drop is attained by killing it with Fire damage.

All the other conditional drops can be found here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/981313-etrian-odyssey-iii-the-drowned-city/56500873

Althane

The fish patrol is probably better to hold off on until you can kill the last one in something like 6 turns. Because if you can't do it, you're screwed.

So...

Third boss...

WTF! Second turn, my entire back row died

So. Gotta try THAT again.

Althane said:
The fish patrol is probably better to hold off on until you can kill the last one in something like 6 turns. Because if you can't do it, you're screwed.

So...

Third boss...

WTF! Second turn, my entire back row died

So. Gotta try THAT again.

My entire front row died.
:lol

Making adjustments now;
will definately need a volt-element to weapon once he voltrons back together. THEN you have the TP-blowing problem (even the Prince!) and focus fire problems from the seperated forms. I am though REALLY glad that I guesstimated Volt being a smart path min-maxwise for my Z; it's proved a life-saver with alot of FOEs and bosses, which when I need nuke power the most.

finally arrived in aus on monday, haven't had a great deal of time to devote to it so i've only just made to b4f as of last night, but soo much fun. i never got round to playing EOII so coming straight from 1 this is a great upgrade.

My starting party, (most) names liberally stolen from welsh lore

Front:

Gwyddion - Prince
Bran - Hoplite
Margarite - Monk

Rear:

Morgraine - Zodiac
Taliesin - Farmer

Having prince in front row is good, he doesn't get hit that much and I've got all 3 passive regen skills now so it's not a big deal if he does take a little damage (plus monk is there to top him up) and the extra damage helps out.

Just realised though the pain of having my farmer KO'd.. oh-oh no campsite revive, no To Market... still, it took until the 4th floor before I had a couple of KO's and decided to start buying armour for people.

So far it's right up my alley. I'm not stressing too much about maximum value from skill points yet, just trying stuff out and having a blast.

Boogiepop

Woot. Defeated the third boss and I'm now in the 4th Stratum. 3rd boss wasn't too bad once I knew the super attack was coming, so beat it without TOO much effort.

Neo C.

Althane said:
Yeah, it's quite thrilling.:lol

spiritfox

Third Boss:

You can use Aegis Defense to block the OMGWTF laser beam, and Gatekeeper takes a turn to charge it up so you know when it is coming. So all you need is to charge up your limit gauge before battle and you're set.

Althane

Yeah, took the third boss down my second time, now that I knew what to expect.

Still used Myuoken and Hellfire, I get a lot of use out of those two.

By the end of it, everybody had red HP, and was either in the 1 to 5 TP range, depending on class.

Except my Arbalist. Goddamn bastard had 40 TP. I have no idea how, since I had him Heavy Shotting most the battle, when he wasn't defending (And throwing backup heals out in the form of Medica II's).

I need more Amrita's though.

By the way, is it usual to be running out of TP that badly in a boss fight? I know they're supposed to be long, but... damn. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Especially with my Hoplite. I had to give him 2 Amrita's to make it through the battle.

sphinx

the piano man
I am also nearing the boss of the 2nd stratum and haven't been able to kill the fish patrol. I was VERY close to kill one but then the rest came and was all over.

anyone has the impression that FOEs are somehow easier in this game than in the past games? Battling a foe in EO1 spelled absolute doom until very late in the game. The Hippo and the other thing in the 1st stratum are way too easy, considering they are foes.

Does anyone know how to get the conditional drop of the 1st boss, narmer?

I know you you have to beat him with a 1 man party, my main party is in the mid-20s but don't have a properly leveled ninja to cast shadows. I read in gamefaqs that the hoplite can kill it, I tried and got my ass handed to me.. any tips

Almost any well-built 30s level character can handle the dude without much trouble.

FOEs are less immediately lethal, but most of them have more HP to make up for it. In general enemies are more durable than in EO2.

Totakeke

Ever since the midboss fight in the third stratum, the game has been pretty easy for my party. I'm now reaching the last level of the fourth stratum and haven't died once or had to restart yet. My party is in the low 40s right now. I probably owe it to the 200+k first stratum boss mace that I used a coupon and grinded for giving my gladiator 400+atk.

sphinx said:
I know you you have to beat him with a 1 man party, my main party is in the mid-20s but don't have a properly leveled ninja to cast shadows. I read in gamefaqs that the hoplite can kill it, I tried and got my ass handed to me.. any tips

Hoplite plus a few Medica II and Second Wind limit works pretty well, just auto attack and heal when necessary. I doubt he can kill your hoplite faster than you can heal it.

Althane

Totakeke said:
Ever since the midboss fight in the third stratum, the game has been pretty easy for my party. I'm now reaching the last level of the fourth stratum and haven't died once or had to restart yet. My party is in the low 40s right now. I probably owe it to the 200+k first stratum boss mace that I used a coupon and grinded for giving my gladiator 400+atk.

That... is pretty sick.

I don't have the patience for the grind, nor any real reason to do it (I can do just fine using the regular gear). My characters are not terribly well built, but they're not a mishmash either. I'll probably rest them now that I'm in the 4th stratum (Which looks AWESOME), and grind them back up 5 levels to put points in the skills I know are useful now.

spiritfox

Oh and if you want to try to get the conditional on the first boss:

Don't use clone cause it won't drop if you do. I tried it with my ninja and it did not drop. Or maybe I was just unlucky.

spiritfox said:
Oh and if you want to try to get the conditional on the first boss:

Don't use clone cause it won't drop if you do. I tried it with my ninja and it did not drop. Or maybe I was just unlucky.

Actually,
Clones are fine for most of the fight. What is not okay is ending the fight with clones still active. All Conditional Drops only count the condition that you ended the fight in. A Tagen Battou solves the issue quite handily.
:D

sphinx

the piano man
What if I go with a 5-man party and then have Narmer kill all but one of them?

also, where is the item that unlocks this overpowered hammer? I want it!!

Boogiepop

God that bonus boss for the quest in the third stratum is tough. Probably gonna be a while before I can beat it. Same for the bonus drop on the second boss, I'd assume, since that seems near impossible at the current time. Anyway, got a little bit into the first floor of the fourth stratum and then did a good bit of advancing in the sailing.

4th Stratum: Nasty work with the FOEs. The sick bastards.

My "crop" of alternates are "ripening", full 10 points into Combat Study for...

Makoto: "Ranma" Monk (alternate color) Fightin' monk to go along with the healin' monk. Felt the class was bipolar enough to justify the extra work.

Lochanlod: "Afro Samurai" Arbalist (probably be a buffer/damager, no elemental)

Taki: Ninja Woman (specced as backliner)

Chie: Hoplite Woman (alternate color) Cop was her first choice. Hoplite is a good plan B.

Maria: Yggdroid "Woman" (alternate color) Sounds fun. Just started her; unsure of how to meld the bot mechanic if I had gone deep shadow with the Ninja or God forbid, a Wildling.

Mudman: Wildling Man (alternate color) Need a good status-slinger tougher and more dangerous than the main Farmer. Probably skipping the binds since I have that covered with Arm Breaker, Hanging, and +Leg Bind forging for my Prince's sword.

Back to surviving and advancing!

Totakeke

For the 1-turn kill conditional drops, does it mean you have to kill the monster in the first turn or that you just have to finish it within the turn you start dealing damage to it?

Totakeke said:
For the 1-turn kill conditional drops, does it mean you have to kill the monster in the first turn or that you just have to finish it within the turn you start dealing damage to it?

Dunno about that for sure, but I did get the rare drop from the 3rd stratum boss. Now for 200k en to get the slick duds for the Z. :lol

Totakeke said:
Adding to that question, what kind of damage does Regal Radiance actually do? I can't seem to pinpoint it down.

Non elemental.

And single turn means the fight must end while the turn counter is 1.

sphinx

the piano man
I am having a hard time beating the boss of the 2nd stratum.

I have read that a Zodiac is needed to kill it with ease and I don't have any...anyway I can kill it?

I have Gladiator-Hoplite-Bucaneer-Arbalist-Prince

droopy

A zodiac helps because one can deal ~50% damage to him using the fire limit skill. Without one you probably just need to level a bit more to survive a longer battle. And make sure to bring sleep-resistant accessories and teach your prince protect order.

Boogiepop

Gah, the 4th stratum's boss. Got SOOOO close to winning, but... that damn health stealing attack. Ugh. Also, am I correct in thinking it does more damage and heals more health for the enemy when you have status effects on you? Cuz it totally healed 2500 health at one point in the battle :(

ijed

Mr_Appleby said:
finally arrived in aus on monday

Another Region 4 Late starter also - Just hit the 2nd Stratum last night and having a blast.

Also totally addicted to exploring the open seas - Unlocked 2 other sets of quests for some more co-op action too :D Does anyone know if the quests are different when you have 3 or more people?

Althane said:
I need more Amrita's though.

Take some Topaz out
to sea and trade with the trading ship that appears

but yeah - hoping I can buy it sometime.

My current line-up of guild awesome:
Front:
Monk - monkey (his nature is irrepressible)
Prince - Afka (the Arbalist formerly known as Prince)
Hoplite - Bob (short for Kate)
Back:
Zodiac - Leo
Farmer - Donald

Swapped the monk out for an Arbalist which is doing some great backrow damage.
Also Zodiac only has 1 point in Zolt and Fire mastery and 1 point in basic fire and volt damage but with the skill that hits an enemies weakness up does uber damage :)
Might as well get some ice mastery for him as well since it looks like it may come in handy where I'm heading ...

Now on to the 2nd Stratum!

So I accidently run into the
Rhino
on the third floor, I decide, "what the hell, let's see how I do, I can't run anyways!" We keep chipping away and away, Finally running out of MP, then Medica's, then Nectars, then he starts dropping my party one by one. Finally I had him down to about a sliver of red left, I'd guess about ~20 HP or so, with only my front line prince and back row monk left. I attack with both (seriously, I'm out of EVERYTHING but one therica B at this point) my prince does about 15 damage, and my monk does like 2. Next round, I figure, "Okay if he kills my monk, my prince can finish him off, take the exp and use a warp line back to town."

He kills my prince :(

Monk does 3 more damage, he then kills my monk. And I wipe.

SO GODDAMN CLOSE TO BEATING THAT FUCKER.

I figure that's not a bad showing at levels 9-11, but damn, still disapointing. My Prince would have gotten so pumped if he'd finished off that fucker alone.

forgrim

I think he's talking about the giant red mean hippo.

out of curiosity, anyone in the post game yet? these are some mean bosses.

Hereafter

forgrim said:
I think he's talking about the giant red mean hippo.

out of curiosity, anyone in the post game yet? these are some mean bosses.

I just finished the Fire and Thunder Dragon. Yesterday I've killed Alraune.

All 3 was pretty easy it you're properly setup for it. The Thunder Dragon can be a pain though if you're not careful.

forgrim

Funny, I've managed to take down kraken and anemone, but alraune is causing me headaches with all its binds. i've taken down the fire and ice dragon, and about to tackle the thunder dragon now.

overall, just long painful fights.

Althane

Man, you guys are in the post game already?

I'm still in the 4th stratum. Found out I can beat the FOEs there (the Freed peeps) for 11k XP a pop, so that's not bad.

I'm considering retiring my team, they're all around level 40, but I'd like to rest them (reallocate various skills because for my Hoplite, I was pretty meandering with my skill allocation, like 3 points in Anticold, and 4 in AntiVolt, stuff like that), and the bonuses for retirement would be pretty nice to have.

Wiping out the first two stratum's bosses and FOE's seems like it should give me enough XP to get around level 20ish, where I could start beating on the 3rd stratum.

What do you guys think?

i retired my complete team at 40 and it took forever to get back to the 4th stratum and kick some ass. two days passed and i'm back at 36. i always have a farmer with me.

Lain

I got this game, started playing and went to do the first assignment, mapping the labyrinth's first floor.
I explored a bit, killing stuff, gaining a level or two and doing my map, when I got attacked by a Lynx, that killed one of my characters.
Getting a bit scared by the sudden jump in difficulty compared to the normal things I had been killing, I started going back to the entrance to leave, and a second Lynx attacks me, killing 2 other characters while I try to run. With only 2 survivors I keep going for the entrance and a third Lynx attacks me. I fail to escape and get wiped out and receive a game over screen.
Being that I wasn't too far into the game, I hadn't saved yet, as such I closed the DS, removed the cart, reinserted the card game cart and gave the DS back to my mom.

Still have to retry playing the game, but I'm scared of those Lynx now.

Lain said:

maybe i was just lucky but they seemed particularly prone to getting paralyzed by my monk's fist skill when i first started out. Also use any protection buffs you've got to bring down the pain of the Bite Off move. soon you'll be feeling bad about how many kitties you've killed.

To make the trip back to town that much easier, roll a Farmer and spend two of your 3 free points on getting "To Market". As long as the farmer is alive (and has enough TP) you can warp back to town instantly.

Lain said:
I got this game, started playing and went to do the first assignment, mapping the labyrinth's first floor.
I explored a bit, killing stuff, gaining a level or two and doing my map, when I got attacked by a Lynx, that killed one of my characters.
Getting a bit scared by the sudden jump in difficulty compared to the normal things I had been killing, I started going back to the entrance to leave, and a second Lynx attacks me, killing 2 other characters while I try to run. With only 2 survivors I keep going for the entrance and a third Lynx attacks me. I fail to escape and get wiped out and receive a game over screen.
Being that I wasn't too far into the game, I hadn't saved yet, as such I closed the DS, removed the cart, reinserted the card game cart and gave the DS back to my mom.

3 Lynx in a row? That's gotta suck.

BTW, just FYI, the trend of having an enemy that is significantly tougher than anything else on the floor continues throughout the game. :)

Hmm, Prince and a monk are kind of redundant, but it really helps to have both when you get to boss fights...

I think I'm going to subclass my prince into a monk when i get the ability, and retire my monk to a damage dealer. That's what I seem to be missing in my party right now (Prince, Hoplite, Ninja, Monk, Zodiac, prince is all passive heals, monk is all heals, hoplite is protetive). It seems to be working pretty well, but I'm also probably a bit over leveled (pushing 20 on floor 5). I figure if I can combine the heals from the monk and prince, I can free up a slot for a gladiator or arbalist to start bringing some more pain, and that will help me get set up for bosses a bit better. Right now, unless the boss has some kind of spefic weakness (my zodiac has all three elements and about 4 levels in that skill that enemies weaknesses get rocked) they can take a looooooooooong time to kill them.

electricpirate said:
Hmm, Prince and a monk are kind of redundant, but it really helps to have both when you get to boss fights...

I think I'm going to subclass my prince into a monk when i get the ability, and retire my monk to a damage dealer. That's what I seem to be missing in my party right now (Prince, Hoplite, Ninja, Monk, Zodiac, prince is all passive heals, monk is all heals, hoplite is protetive). It seems to be working pretty well, but I'm also probably a bit over leveled (pushing 20 on floor 5). I figure if I can combine the heals from the monk and prince, I can free up a slot for a gladiator or arbalist to start bringing some more pain, and that will help me get set up for bosses a bit better. Right now, unless the boss has some kind of spefic weakness (my zodiac has all three elements and about 4 levels in that skill that enemies weaknesses get rocked) they can take a looooooooooong time to kill them.

I've got nearly the same party - replace ninja with farmer - but sounds like quite different uses of them. Monk only has enough healing to keep the prince topped up when needed, otherwise the Prince does all the healing through passive regen and the "gain hp when buffing" skill.

resurrection is handled by staying at camps (farmer skill) or using a nectar. it's rare enough that i'm not convinced i need a stand-alone skill for it yet.

I haven't reached subclasses yet - on second stratum like you, all around level 23 - but from what i have (accidentally ;) ) read here and elsewhere subbing a prince as monk is less effective than you might think since the heal rate is lower since you have prince stats, not monk. again i haven't tried it so YMMV.

Boogiepop

Halfway through the 5th stratum now, and it is quite pretty I must say.
Also, think I discovered a weird glitch or something yesterday: Both my frontliners got poisoned by Venomflies and died at the same time, but my back row remained in the back without anything in the front.
Oh, and damn them for bringing the
Golem
back as a midway seaquest, that guy is tough. Makes me worry about how hard the upper seaquest bosses will be... or the prospect of facing that down in a co-op quest.
Oh, and I unlocked all the "ports" in the sailing :)

Lain said:

It's just the game saying "hi". :lol

Like my current favorite, Large Snakeheads. Hanging dont bind, the previous leveling and gearing might as well not have happened. Add in Zone Icicle spamming buddies and the fun multiplies.

Top Bottom