• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

zroid

Banned
72a33c2594f04c71b1cd0da.png

Yo, Best Buy

WHERE IS MY GAME I PRE-ORDERED IN NOVEMBER

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Just had my copy delivered from Amazon. Bonus art booklet is very nice. But no instruction manual... please tell me this is a one time event Atlus. Please...

So loading up my demo save file... what now? I thought there'd be new quests from the Grand Court and/or Dancing Peacock, but nope, nothing. I finished all the quests in the demo so I'm at a loss on what to do next. Can anyone provide me with some much needed direction?

EDIT: Duh! Second floor of the dungeon!

Finally finished downloading off the e-shop (which is fine since I was playing Bit.Trip Runner 2)...Importing save info from the demo was as easy as it gets, but now I just have to decide if I'm going to lose the medic I started building in the demo. Based on the thread, it seems like the dancer does more than an effective job of healing.

Althane

Just had my copy delivered from Amazon. Bonus art booklet is very nice. But no instruction manual... please tell me this is a one time event Atlus. Please...

So loading up my demo save file... what now? I thought there'd be new quests from the Grand Court and/or Dancing Peacock, but nope, nothing. I finished all the quests in the demo so I'm at a loss on what to do next. Can anyone provide me with some much needed direction?

Isn't there another two dungeons/caves that you couldn't enter in the demo? Go fir that!

Go to B2!

You'll have more quests soon

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm trying to decipher the conditional drop list on the japanese wiki. Google translate is enough to figure out most of them, but does anyone know what this means?
壊属性攻撃で撃破

Why are you guys dogging on casual mode? What exactly does it change and why is it bad?
I'm joking around

I'd still never play in anything but normal, the game isn't that hard. The game already gives you so many alternatives and ways to survive, I don't need hand holding

Althane

Why are you guys dogging on casual mode? What exactly does it change and why is it bad?

Casual means that instead of dying, you get sent back home when you get TPK. Thus, you essentially warp back to the town with your stuff, and more or less had a slightly less successful dungeon run. It takes away a lot of the intensity of being able to go "Oh god I forgot a thread and I'm surrounded by FOEs who'll kill me if I misstep..."

Casual means that instead of dying, you get sent back home when you get TPK. Thus, you essentially warp back to the town with your stuff, and more or less had a slightly less successful dungeon run. It takes away a lot of the intensity of being able to go "Oh god I forgot a thread and I'm surrounded by FOEs who'll kill me if I misstep..."
I agree

Aeana

And then it also removes the frustration when you die and lose an hour+ of progress, so I'd say it evens out.
Let people play whatever difficulty level they need to in order to enjoy the game. Dogging on people for not playing games exactly the way you do is so, so stupid. There was enough of it with regards to Fire Emblem already.

Yeah, casual mode means the punishment for dying isn't really a punishment, since if you won that fight you'd probably be hurt enough you'd go back to town anyways, but in "normal" you lose all progress when you die since your last save except for your mapping. And it makes it so you can warp back to town at will, with an infinite number of the strings that in the normal game cost money. In casual there really is no reason to try and stay alive, you should just keep going until your party keels over dead.

I just got my copy, walked into GameStop and bought it, un-preordered. They had a stack of what looked like 6 copies for preorders, and then who knows how many in a drawer for walkins.

I'm trying to decipher the conditional drop list on the japanese wiki. Google translate is enough to figure out most of them, but does anyone know what this means?
壊属性攻撃で撃破

Defeat with bash/blunt damage

Thoraxes

As a composer, I am super interested in the prototype CD.

I wanna hear some of the process of translating the two and what Koshiro did before the final product.

Althane

And then it also removes the frustration when you die and lose an hour+ of progress, so I'd say it evens out.
Let people play whatever difficulty level they need to in order to enjoy the game. Dogging on people for not playing games exactly the way you do is so, so stupid. There was enough of it with regards to Fire Emblem already.

Wasn't trying to dog on them. Just saying why some people find it appealing. I'm more of the normal player, but I might play this on casual since my free time has gone to the dumpster now that I've got a job.

Aeana

Wasn't trying to dog on them. Just saying why some people find it appealing. I'm more of the normal player, but I might play this on casual since my free time has gone to the dumpster now that I've got a job.
Sorry, everything after my first sentence wasn't directed at you specifically.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Here is a quick consolidation of conditional drops I made for myself. Monster names are of course wrong and its entirely possible I made mistakes for some. If a japanese speaker is bored and would like to clean this up the source is here:
http://www32.atwiki.jp/sekaiju_mazeiv/pages/34.html

spoilered for people that want to figure this out on their own or don't want to see boss lists.
Forest Frog: kill with bash damage
Mandrake: kill while head is bound
Ghost Owl: kill with lightning
Lynx: kill while arms are bound
Dangerous Petal: kill with instant death
Hollow Player: kill while confused
Kabuto Scissors: kill with bash damage
Protean Owl: kill while head is bound
Youganjuu: kill with a non-attribute attack
Hyougajuu: kill with a non-attribute attack
Baboon: kill with poison
Rat Flame: 斬属性で撃破 (probably kill with pierce or slash damage?)
Medusa Tree: kill with fire
Purple Anole: kill while paralyzed, low probability?
Noroidake: kill while head is bound
Moriyama: kill with lightning
Ultra Youganjuu: kill with a non-attribute attack
Ultra Hyougajuu: kill with a non-attribute attack
Explosion Chasuble Ice: kill with petrification
Evil Giant Flower: kill with fire
Hollow Magus: kill with ice, low probability
Petals of Ruin: kill with instant death
Red Lion: low probability
FOES
Nightmare: kill with poison
various pumpkin foes: low probability
Morosurodo: low probability
Overworld FOES
Angry Bird of Prey: kill while legs are bound
Death Mantis: kill with petrification
Boss
Beast King: kill in one turn
Hollow Queen: kill with curse damage
Homuramizuchi: kill with fire
Guardian of the Indigo Swing: kill while asleep
Quest Boss
Baboon King: kill while confused
Who supervises the saturation very: kill with ice?
Pavel race staff network: low probability
Winged Dragon Boiling Sand Cloudy: kill with poison
Ice Dragon: kill with/without ice?
Thunder Dragon: kill with lightning
Fire Dragon: kill with fire
Iwa~oropenerepu: kill while confused
Who gave the gloom: kill while head is bound

jackal27

Banned
I can't decide if I'll play normal or casual... I wish the demo had both. I've been playing Persona 4 and I wish I had chosen easy in that game. Agh. I'm not even sure if I'll be buying the game yet though. I'm going to wait for some reviews and impressions from my Twitter bros.

tuffy

I can't decide if I'll play normal or casual... I wish the demo had both. I've been playing Persona 4 and I wish I had chosen easy in that game. Agh. I'm not even sure if I'll be buying the game yet though. I'm going to wait for some reviews and impressions from my Twitter bros.
It's a setting you can toggle, as I recall; don't worry about having to pick the correct one upfront. But once you get better at the game, getting wiped out is pretty rare when you're just exploring.

You can change it, I say you start normal and if it gets annoying go casual

NZNova

Not really EO4 related but I've just got started on the original and fuck me, this thing is a bit tricky! My toughest character is a protector with 32 HP and I run into mobs that routinely hit for 20, and venomflies with poison that ticks for 25 and kills anyone but the protector in one turn! And this is just while I'm trying to make a map of the first area to prove I'm tough enough to enter the labyrinth.

Cripes :O

Not really EO4 related but I've just got started on the original and fuck me, this thing is a bit tricky! My toughest character is a protector with 32 HP and I run into mobs that routinely hit for 20, and venomflies with poison that ticks for 25 and kills anyone but the protector in one turn! And this is just while I'm trying to make a map of the first area to prove I'm tough enough to enter the labyrinth.

Reminds me of when I got started with Class of Heroes on the PSP.

This shows how easier the series has become, or at least the beginning of them.

Anteo

I got the game! Now time get wiped agan and again!

This shows how easier the series has become, or at least the beginning of them.

Yeah sure.. Yesterday a monkey almost got all my party in the demo. And it was not a FOE, it was a random battle on the main dugeon. Hitting for 40 to my Fortress should be ilegal.

jd78

Neo Member
Haven't had a chance to play the demo yet, but had a question about the game from what I have seen.

From what I have seen an understand (have never played any of the others), You create you guild and all the characters, correct? Then you go quests/missions? Is there or how is the story or is the game mostly about character building and quest/mission grinding?

Haven't had a chance to play the demo yet, but had a question about the game from what I have seen.

From what I have seen an understand (have never played any of the others), You create you guild and all the characters, correct? Then you go quests/missions? Is there or how is the story or is the game mostly about character building and quest/mission grinding?

There's a dungeon, a lot of explorers/guilds go and try to learn its secrets... Most die or give up, you shall venture into it and discover the secret.

There's always a story inside the dungeon, but it's just there to give some motivation.

For example(ending of eo1 spoiler)
the last part of the dungeon is the post apocaliptic city of Shinjuku, and then there's a crazy scientist that is still alive and he's the final boss

rpmurphy

There's legitimate criticism of Fire Emblem's casual mode though. They could have kept it as save/restore any time (or do something cool like rewinding) and not have characters return if died in battle. It drastically changes the battle strategems if there are insignificant downsides to losing a character. A similar argument can be made here for a game that has the element of resource management when setting out to a dungeon. You lose the need to stock up on items and but rely solely on character stats for successful treks.

Top Bottom