• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

To add to that: Fortresses' have their specialty skill as generating TP when they're attacked (in the front row). The first rank of this will fill your TP if you use Taunt on your first turn.

Basically, your Fortress, if they're being used as a tank, does not have to worry about running out of TP.

Yep, you can taunt eternally

Max taunt, put a point in ally guard, get proficiency, add some points in defense boost

You now have a tank

MLH

LITERATELY so excited!! EU here, is the demo up on the 3DS store?

As far as I am aware, no demo up for EU folks. We still haven't got a concrete release date, just 'Spring'.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt my enthusiasm; I've been playing with the skill calculator trying to come up with a solid party.
I think I'll go with Fortress, Medic, Dancer and Runemaster - haven't decided on a final member.

Anteo

I don't have any issues with the dungeon designs at all. I really like what I played on that front. I made an all male party so I wouldn't have to deal with the little girls in the demo so hopefully this doesn't have an impact on the gameplay somewhere.

I loved the progression system overall. How defeating new enemies and FOE grant you the ability to buy new equipments and I liked the skill system.

I don't have much to say about the enemy designs. Can't say I love or hate them.

It's more like a conflict about whether I want to support that kind of art or not in the end I guess. I'll try to keep an open mind on that front and simply ignore them.

Will try to find the game in my town. Hopefully this isn't as annoying to find as Fire Emblem. Anyway I'm doing a Wild Arms series playthrough right now so I'm in no hurry to get it.

The game doesn't care about the gender of your characters so you should be good. However the only "problematic" class is the female dancer, I mean, the female Fortress looks great, armored with a huge shield? Don't see a problem.

Ryuukan

Ok guys I made my party in the demo and left the city gates.

This thing in the corner is pulsing yellow what do I do oh god someone play this for me I'm too scared

Aeana

I don't have any issues with the dungeon designs at all. I really like what I played on that front. I made an all male party so I wouldn't have to deal with the little girls in the demo so hopefully this doesn't have an impact on the gameplay somewhere.

I loved the progression system overall. How defeating new enemies and FOE grant you the ability to buy new equipments and I liked the skill system.

I don't have much to say about the enemy designs. Can't say I love or hate them.

It's more like a conflict about whether I want to support that kind of art or not in the end I guess. I'll try to keep an open mind on that front and simply ignore them.

Will try to find the game in my town. Hopefully this isn't as annoying to find as Fire Emblem. Anyway I'm doing a Wild Arms series playthrough right now so I'm in no hurry to get it.
Portraits are just portraits. They don't matter. I understand where you're coming from, but it's not something that has bothered me too much in EO games since they de-emphasize characters so much.

Anteo

This thing in the corner is pulsing yellow what do I do oh god someone play this for me I'm too scared

Haha, try for yourself, map the dugeon and go back to the city, it is great when you discover what exactly happens
First FOE I ever met destroyed my party so fast and I couldn't even run away

Althane

You get some tutorials, but I think you could figure out what it means pretty fast. >=P

scy

The bottom-right corner is basically just the random encounter indicator. When it turns red, you're getting close to a random encounter happening. It also indicates how close an FoE is but there's a tutorial for that when it happens.

To add to that: Fortresses' have their specialty skill as generating TP when they're attacked (in the front row). The first rank of this will fill your TP if you use Taunt on your first turn.

Basically, your Fortress, if they're being used as a tank, does not have to worry about running out of TP.

But *my* point was always, autotaunt really has nothing to do with saving you TP, it has to do with randomly giving your Fort a free turn at the beginning of combat, and increasing the chance of that first hit from an FOE going to your Fort rather than someone else who may not be able to take it (like your Dancer).

scy

Autotaunt is nice to have and, honestly, you're most likely not _that_ pressed for points in the end. It's not something you rely on strategically, just something nice to happen. The same goes for many of the other auto abilities.

So I just got home from work and UPS just dropped off my copy. gg, dat timing

Talaysen

But *my* point was always, autotaunt really has nothing to do with saving you TP, it has to do with randomly giving your Fort a free turn at the beginning of combat, and increasing the chance of that first hit from an FOE going to your Fort rather than someone else who may not be able to take it (like your Dancer).

Yep, Auto Taunt has nothing to do with saving TP. It's about saving the first turn.

However, Taunt has a hefty speed bonus, so it's not all that likely something will go before it triggers anyway. I'm sure it can happen though.

I don't think the skill is that good either, mostly because the chance is so low. If it started at 50% or something, that would be another story.

Ricker

The place I pre-ordered 2 weeks ago had no clue I did,she couldn't find the note in their black book so she wrote it down now but it doesn't bode well lol...guess I will reach level 10 in the demo after all...if all else fails,I'll just EShop it.

Teknoman

Another question, if I have the skill enabled for my nightseeker to dual-wield, how come he never uses both of his weapons? Does it matter that he's in the back row?

I think there is a skill you have to learn for that, but it shouldnt matter that he's in the back row.

Midou

Hmmm, I'm in Canada and my Amazon order hasn't shipped yet. Says 'Shipping Soon' though. Should get it hopefully at least by the end of the week.

Does the demo transfer save data to retail copy?

Althane

I'm reading the arcanist skills, so dropping my sniper for one.

They seem to be AOE debuffers, with an added platter of team healing. Reminds me of a mix of the Prince and the Runemaster. The passive healing effects seem pretty strong. Especially the "Every step" one. Might be worth a point or two.

scy

Go for it!

Edit: So can someone give a good explanation of binding, and why it's better than my nightseeker using pocket sand?

Blind adjusts their chance to hit; Binds do some kind of stat debuff (Head lowers TEC-based damage, Arm lowers STR-based damage, Leg lowers AGI) as well as completely sealing off skills. Almost all skills in the game have a limb they use. If that is bound, that skill cannot be used. For instance, Dancer's Dances are Leg-based so if their Legs are bound, they can not dance while the bind is in effect.

Basically, treat them as a stat debuff that also seals skills.

Althane

Blind adjusts their chance to hit; Binds do some kind of stat debuff (Head lowers TEC-based damage, Arm lowers STR-based damage, Leg lowers AGI) as well as completely sealing off skills. Almost all skills in the game have a limb they use. If that is bound, that skill cannot be used. For instance, Dancer's Dances are Leg-based so if their Legs are bound, they can not dance while the bind is in effect.

Basically, treat them as a stat debuff that also seals skills.

Okay, I knew the skill sealing, but I didn't know that there was a corresponding stat debuff. Knew there was something I was probably missing!

Chrysalis

Hey all- played the second game, and now...

Probably only going to play one game in this sub-genre in the next 1-2 years. As someone who places priority on story but enjoyed EO2, am I more likely to love this or unchained blades?

Ryuukan

Probably only going to play one game in this sub-genre in the next 1-2 years. As someone who places priority on story but enjoyed EO2, am I more likely to love this or unchained blades?

Unchained Blades looks like generic store brand chips compared to EO4 Lay's Chicken and Waffles

Althane

Entirely up to you. The features of EO4 are much more refined than EO2. The story is likely to be about the same level, though. EO games are not known for the deep involving stories.

I feel like EO3 has a better link of story throughout it, so I ended up playing that one further than the first 2 (middle of the fourth stratum. Practically done, now that I think about it... =P). I would expect the same of EO4. But it's not going to beat something dedicated to a story.

Anteo

This is my main party, I was thinking if I should go put my name on one of the character and I did. Anyways the mage is fire based.

9mM5vRW.png
4PCjyVu.png

Now this party is a experimental party, The Fortress has Taunt and Holy Smite, so he should be able to heal himself. The dancer has buff for attack and defense and the medic has that skill that stuns a monster for one turn, and a basic level 1 heal so you can try out that. The Archer has the passive skill that increase drops.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I was having more fun with my second party in random battles, setting up buffs, going for a stun with the medic, going for a debuff in damage with the Landsomething...

Edit2: Didn't know you had to register a character. So I just put my secondary Medic in the first QR.

Anyone pick this up without a pre order? I was lucky enough to walk in BB and snag FE on launch day but I'm wondering what my chances are for finding this game in a BB or Target. I may just order from amazon.

I know it's on eshop I'd just rather a physical copy.

Slermy

My copy arrived today, I'm excited.

But why oh why did this, Fire Emblem and Ni No Kuni come out in such a short time frame?

ohlawd

I've put in about an hour. Barely touched B2 Lush Woodlands so here I am mapping out Small Orchid. Jetted my ass out there when the "mama" beast came.

Wynne is my favorite character so far lol: "I gotta lady boner harder dan steel for dat stuff!"

Prinny

I just realized that there's an option to change the battle speed. There was an annoying pause between every attacks at normal speed, fast is so much better.

Teknoman

I've put in about an hour. Barely touched B2 Lush Woodlands so here I am mapping out Small Orchid. Jetted my ass out there when the "mama" beast came.

Wynne is my favorite character so far lol: "I gotta lady boner harder dan steel for dat stuff!"

I still think her voice would sound like Labyrs from Persona 4 Arena. Especially since i'm having a hard time placing a specific voice in mind when reading her lines.

Top Bottom