• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

scy

Awesome, thanks scy. Do you happen to know about turn order too?

I posted the brief of it but here's the whole thing:

Agility + Equipment Mods + Skill Mod + Rn(0..4)

Equipment Mods:

Heavy Armor: -2 Speed
Medium Armor: -1 Speed
Light Armor: +2 Speed

Shoes: +4 Speed
Gloves: +1 Speed
Shield: -2 Speed

Accessories and Helms are +0.

Daggers: +3 Speed
Katanas: +2 Speed
Rapiers: +2 Speed
Swords: -2 Speed
Maces: -3 Speed
Gunblade: -4 Speed

Bows and Staves are +0.

Edit: Speed Forges should be +2 Speed each.

There's (probably) some exceptions (e.g., Bikini Armor in EO3 had +10 Speed randomly), not sure if they're indicated in-game.

...now, that said, I don't know all the Skill Mods ;_; And this will most likely be the biggest deal for the whole formula. Sorry :(

But you made a huge deal about it, acting as if the game is filled with grinding and people should fear it. But that's obviously no where near the case at all from what other people are saying (and my experiences so far, and I haven't entered in a single QR code). This is the kind of stuff that keeps people from buying the games, which keeps them from being popular enough for more games in the genre to be coming out. Have you gotten far enough in EO4 to reach a point where it forces you to grind yet, with no alternative?

So far I'm just going through without grinding, and when I get back to town, usually new equipment is unlocked by what I happened to pick up, yay! :) I never pay attention to the stuff I haven't unlocked yet.

Err. No, I said do NOT fear it, as it is very possibly there given the series history. Respeccing, short of cash, that sort of thing has a higher chance of hitting someone new to the series, especially one possibly not familiar to dungeon crawlers. I say this as a veteran to a rookie, knowing what that means in terms of giving advice, as you may slip up in ways I wouldn't. Be less efficient. Be unaware of the tells common to the series and genre and would find yourself in a position needing grinding whereas I wouldn't.

I say advice like this to NOT scare people away, but so that they purchase it with honest answers tailored to their situation, and getting expectations right for the game in question.

Besides, like I mentioned before, it's a tool to me, and some actually come to this series to grind XP/money/all items/etc., or find themselves enjoying it, as there's so much to hunt for and seek an edge to a fight that may come up where it's needed. You'll see.

Boogiepop

What's the rule on the respawn for the Bloodbears in the first boss's room? I just took them both out and would love to run back to town and rest up at the inn, but not sure if that'd be such a good idea...

scy

Since we're talking about these things, I might as well mention this. If you look at the damage formula I posted earlier, it's based entirely off your Weapon and STR (or TEC and ... TEC). That is, the Attack value in your Status Screen is never used. It's a made-up number that's there to make you feel better, I guess? It's calculated as such:

Status Screen Attack = [(sqrt(STR)/5) + 1.3] * Weapon Attack
Status Screen Defense = [(sqrt(VIT)/8) + 0.8] * TotalArmor + VIT

Again, these numbers are never used in any in-game formula. Just felt it relevant to mention it.

math;dr: Ignore the status screen ATK and DEF readings. They mean nothing. Check your Stats and the listed values of your equipment instead.

Volcynika

Been working on reorganizing the QR codes and giving them more details then they had before (they're now at the bottom of the OP with their own header. Only partially done, but should be able to finish them up tomorrow.

Talaysen

Which, on that note, is also why EO4 is missing a lot of information. It's back to playtesting to solve most of it and not too many people still do that (I did it for EO1/EO2 ;_;).

Good old playtesting. I like to do that for lots of games and also did back for EO1 before anyone was posting anything about it. I only got basic damage though, everything else was a mystery. I tried to do it with EO2 and ended up giving up since it's not very straightforward. If you're the one responsible for figuring those out, then thanks. EO3 was solved before I even got the game so I never had to bother there!

Since we're talking about these things, I might as well mention this. If you look at the damage formula I posted earlier, it's based entirely off your Weapon and STR (or TEC and ... TEC). That is, the Attack value in your Status Screen is never used. It's a made-up number that's there to make you feel better, I guess? It's calculated as such:

Status Screen Attack = [(sqrt(STR)/5) + 1.3] * Weapon Attack
Status Screen Defense = [(sqrt(VIT)/8) + 0.8] * TotalArmor + VIT

Again, these numbers are never used in any in-game formula. Just felt it relevant to mention it.

math;dr: Ignore the status screen ATK and DEF readings. They mean nothing. Check your Stats and the listed values of your equipment instead.

I think they tried to give you an idea of whether or not X STR is better than Y ATK and likewise for DEF and VIT. I don't really think they succeeded...

ohlawd

so I unlocked subclassing.

what the heck I'm so overwhelmed lol. I don't know who should get which subclasses.

Here's my team:
L/F/D
A/R

The one I'm even a tiny bit confident about is Fortress with Dancer sub to take advantage of the evasion rate.

KarmaCow

Does anyone know if there's a Lucky Hammer equivalent in this game?

Formaldehyde is still in the game but so far I haven't encountered any Burst skills like Lucky Hammer. I'm only up to the second land and the closest is one that completely fills out the enemy's stats and drops in the codex.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Can't wait until I hit level 22 to get to the second set of skills. Then I can rest and fully respec.

Aeana

Man, I am not really appreciating sniper. The bind hit rate seems so low, even with a fair number of points in the skills, and regular damage seems so low. I might replace it with something else. (._. )

Boogiepop

Beat the first boss, actually felt like a bit of a pushover by EO standards. So I guess I'll start on the next area tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and with is the Nightseeker's secondary weapon the same as the primary weapon in how important its stats/abilities are? If so I'm a little annoyed that there doesn't seem to be any kind of display of stat change when you're equipping them, unlike the primary weapon.

Bururian

Man, I am not really appreciating sniper. The bind hit rate seems so low, even with a fair number of points in the skills, and regular damage seems so low. I might replace it with something else. (._. )

Replaced mine with a Dancer, haven't looked back. My party kills everything with ease because of that Dancer's line status effects.

Velcro Fly

So is there any easy way to get down to the lower floors without having to traverse the entire dungeon again? In the B3 of the Lush Woodlands and it is time consuming to go through the first two floors again.

Bururian

So is there any easy way to get down to the lower floors without having to traverse the entire dungeon again? In the B3 of the Lush Woodlands and it is time consuming to go through the first two floors again.

Until you can find a pole, and there are no poles on B2 or B3 in the Lush Woodlands, so no. Just set up an automatic route, and you don't really have to do anything.

Boogiepop

Are you using the shortcuts? Because shortcuts help a LOT.

scy

Good old playtesting. I like to do that for lots of games and also did back for EO1 before anyone was posting anything about it. I only got basic damage though, everything else was a mystery. I tried to do it with EO2 and ended up giving up since it's not very straightforward. If you're the one responsible for figuring those out, then thanks. EO3 was solved before I even got the game so I never had to bother there!

Yeah, I did basically all of EO2 that Terence didn't data mine for us back then (+ the maps). For EO3, I got to work during the JP release. EO3 probably had the most complete set of information of any of the games. It basically released and we had a Skill Sim with all the data, ideal groups, AI scripts for encounters, etc.

...good times.

I think they tried to give you an idea of whether or not X STR is better than Y ATK and likewise for DEF and VIT. I don't really think they succeeded...

Yeah. It's fairly misleading, to be honest.

Oh yeah, and with is the Nightseeker's secondary weapon the same as the primary weapon in how important its stats/abilities are? If so I'm a little annoyed that there doesn't seem to be any kind of display of stat change when you're equipping them, unlike the primary weapon.

It's the exact same as your Main Hand except with a damage penalty based off your rank of Blade Flurry; it's not actually used in any skill damage calculations. That said, most people tend to just use off-hand weapons as Stat sticks (e.g., Forge it with ATK).

And, as noted above, don't rely on the Status Screen Attack score. It literally means nothing.

oh god why would they even do this, it's like they just vomited up some random mathematical formula, hahahaha

Haha, I know right? My guess is, like Talaysen said, to give some kind of approximation for how STR and ATK impact your overall damage but ... it's just so wrong. ;_;

Hell, it's still kind of weird to me that your Armor stat is the sum of all your Armor and then divided by three.

I'm just glad that spells are now a function of TEC instead of given a Weapon ATK value based on the Rank of the skill. Gives your Casters better damage scaling this way.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate

Agreed. I abandoned my Sniper early in the second land and never looked back. The first class you unlock does much better with binds than my Sniper ever did.

KarmaCow

Maybe it'll get better later on but I'm not a fan of how the levels are spread out into sub dungeons and compartmentalized. The airship stuff is alright, it's better than EO3's equivalent but it contributes to making the game feel like a collection of parts. At least with EO3's sea stuff, it could be ignored and the main game was relatively intact.

I enjoyed the simple nature of the older games, where it was just you tackling this massive dungeon. Now it seems like I need to stop and go into smaller sub dungeons to be appropriately levelled for an area.

Velcro Fly

Just made it to the second area! Struggled a tiny bit with the boss of the first area but I managed to survive. I'm guessing the next area I need to explore is
Miasma Forest?
Guessing I need something from there to add on to my airship.

My group is all 17-18 so I'm not sure about my level yet. I do have one quest still for the Lush Woodlands that I'm going to take on. Also may look around and see if there are any other quests for Area 1 that I can do before I fully move on to taking on Area 2.

Eusis

Agreed. I abandoned my Sniper early in the second land and never looked back. The first class you unlock does much better with binds than my Sniper ever did.
Welp, combined with my own luck with binds I think I'll be making the jump to Nightseeker.

Talaysen

Yeah, I did basically all of EO2 that Terence didn't data mine for us back then (+ the maps). For EO3, I got to work during the JP release. EO3 probably had the most complete set of information of any of the games. It basically released and we had a Skill Sim with all the data, ideal groups, AI scripts for encounters, etc.

Wait, AI scripts? Are these posted somewhere? I am pretty interested in that.

It's the exact same as your Main Hand except with a damage penalty based off your rank of Blade Flurry; it's not actually used in any skill damage calculations. That said, most people tend to just use off-hand weapons as Stat sticks (e.g., Forge it with ATK).

I thought the secondary weapon itself was used for the second attack, so it's WATK would actually matter for that, wouldn't it? But considering the damage penalty I also just use it for stats.

Just hit level 20 with most of my group (poor Estellise the Fortress is still 19 due to dying). Not really prepared for the massive influx in new skills I can invest in, but will probably just rest at 22 to redistribute points. I think I'm a bit overlevelled anyway (just cleared the first small dungeon in overworld zone 2).

scy

Wait, AI scripts? Are these posted somewhere? I am pretty interested in that.

I'll see if I can dig them up again.

I thought the secondary weapon itself was used for the second attack, so it's WATK would actually matter for that, wouldn't it? But considering the damage penalty I also just use it for stats.

I should've clarified. It uses the Weapon Attack of the Off-Hand Weapon for regular attacks with it. I meant that the Off-Hand is functionally the same as the Main Hand so if you want to see the effect of it, just equip it there to check. The wATK of the off-hand is still not used in any skills though, just for regular attacks.

vall03

oh! Finally unlocked Sub-Classes! what do you guys think is a good sub-class for a Landsknecht? My early plans have always been either Bushi or Imperial but its still a long ways before I unlock those classes.

lingiii

Banned
so I unlocked subclassing.

what the heck I'm so overwhelmed lol. I don't know who should get which subclasses.

Here's my team:
L/F/D
A/R

The one I'm even a tiny bit confident about is Fortress with Dancer sub to take advantage of the evasion rate.

I gave my A sniper as secondary so he can use bows. I was having a bunch of turns where managing the circle countdown meant he shouldn't use any skills, bows let him hit harder. Dunno what to do with L though. Hoping the second unlocked class makes sense. Dunno about dancer, but L wouldn't be bad: just dump points into a link or two to help broaden your elem coverage.

lingiii

Banned
oh! Finally unlocked Sub-Classes! what do you guys think is a good sub-class for a Landsknecht? My early plans have always been either Bushi or Imperial but its still a long ways before I unlock those classes.

If you're totally stumped, pick F to give you mace access or whatever, but then just put your free points into L's tree.

scy

What does your Landsknecht do? Mine is for Link use so I went /Runemaster to get passive +Elemental Damage. If you use the Landsknecht weapon skills, you can go /Nightseeker for Follow Trace.

vall03

What does your Landsknecht do? Mine is for Link use so I went /Runemaster to get passive +Elemental Damage. If you use the Landsknecht weapon skills, you can go /Nightseeker for Follow Trace.

Its actually a Link build but ended up sub-classing it with Nightseeker. Oh well, I'll just experiment for a bit. I might remove my Landsknecht anyway once I get the Bushi.

ohlawd

I gave my A sniper as secondary so he can use bows. I was having a bunch of turns where managing the circle countdown meant he shouldn't use any skills, bows let him hit harder. Dunno what to do with L though. Hoping the second unlocked class makes sense. Dunno about dancer, but L wouldn't be bad: just dump points into a link or two to help broaden your elem coverage.

I see. I've already done it but I'll reclass if I feel like things aren't working out.

LandHidamariSketch/N: for the speed boost because of links but iunno, LandSunnySideUp already has Vanguard and Initiative for the speed fix...
F/M: Stretch seemed good because of the bind resistance
D/N: dual wielding and Rush Dance
A/R: for the TP boost and spells
R/A: just for the debuffs

I see. I've already done it but I'll reclass if I feel like things aren't working out.

LandHidamariSketch/N: for the speed boost because of links but iunno, LandSunnySideUp already has Vanguard and Initiative for the speed fix...
F/M: Stretch seemed good because of the bind resistance
D/N: dual wielding and Rush Dance
A/R: for the TP boost and spells
R/A: just for the debuffs

I would have gone Runemaster with your LandHidamariSketch(lol) and Dancer for your Fortress, everything aside sounds great.

Just Vanguard and go insane

ohlawd

I would have gone Runemaster with your LandHidamariSketch(lol) and Dancer for your Fortress, everything aside sounds great.

Just Vanguard and go insane

most likely I'll unlock a new class by tomorrow... that might end up replacing my LandSegaSaturn.

lols I was actually thinking about F/D first but here I am with a totally different setup. I'll probably change my Fortress' sub too.

spiritfox

1st boss cleared! Kinda disappointing that the 1st maze was so short, but i guess the other caves sort of make up for it. And nobody died! I was worried that regen will not be able to keep up the healing, but with a Fortress and the free Heal Staff, it wasn't so bad.

most likely I'll unlock a new class by tomorrow... that might end up replacing my LandSegaSaturn.

lols I was actually thinking about F/D first but here I am with a totally different setup. I'll probably change my Fortress' sub too.

If you're not going for crazy Links, you might like the Bushi.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Is this a good entry to start with the series?

It's a perfectly fine starting point. There's no plot connection to the other games in the series aside from a handful of references, and it doesn't assume that you've got prior knowledge of the game's systems. The addition of things like an easier difficulty setting and the numerous tutorials make it pretty clear that Atlus intended it to be fine first Etrian Odyssey.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys, I'm sure this question has been asked before. Is there anything that is exclusive to the demo? There's nothing different from an imported save from the demo and restarting a new game right? I know certain demos give you bonuses for transfering but is this the case for this game?

Thanks.

Hi guys, I'm sure this question has been asked before. Is there anything that is exclusive to the demo? There's nothing different from an imported save from the demo and restarting a new game right? I know certain demos give you bonuses for transfering but is this the case for this game?

Thanks.

It seems like all the QR codes work in the Full Version, so no, there's nothing exclusive to the demo.

vall03

holy crap! Stun is fucking awesome! I've been mostly using Auto-Attack for quite a while now with the enemies barely getting any turn to attack. Any damage I get, gets healed through the Arcanist walk skill. With better equipment, max Sword Dance and Mist Dance + Trick Samba, I can get another Warrior's Might team with Stun!

Sleepy

Still putzing around with the demo waiting for Amazon to ship. After reading about the Sniper and the Dancer, is it better to have a Dancer than a Medic? another magic user than the Sniper?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Anyone played around with dance mastery? The one that adds to the burst gauge based on dancing? I tried maxing it and I'm barely noticing a difference. Hard to tell, but it looks like it adds a tiny amount to the burst gauge on the dancer's turn if they have dances up?

The skill sim talks about adding +8 to the burst gauge whenever a dancer 'triggers' but that isn't my experience at all. Unless 'trigger' means 'the turn you use the dance.' Because the burst gauge ain't moving at all during counter samba, regen waltz, attack tango, etc.

The only thing I've noticed is I get a small amount of extra burst gauge when I first cast a dance. And its nowhere near enough to justify this many skill points.

Hi everyone !
I'm kinda interested in Etrian Odyssey IV. But I wanted to know if the game was kinda story driven or something. Like... is there a plot or you just go dungeons to dungeons ?

P90

Still on the fence between this and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Thoughts? And no, I cannot afford both.

Tough call. I am juggling the two games. IMO, I think FE:A is an overall "better" game, but EO IV is addicting fun with so much to do... I am not much help. :(

Top Bottom