• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

It's hard to answer the question without knowing what you expectations of a story in a dungeon crawler is. As far as character development goes, there isn't going to be much at all, because the NPCs are all characters who have assigned roles (innkeeper, storekeeper, dude who gives missions, chick who gives quests, dude you run into in dungeons who warns you about shit, etc) and all the party members are characters you create yourself. It's definitely not a character based narrative in any form whatsoever.

But there is a story in the game. There are events as you progress through the dungeons, things happen, but they're not really developed in a way which is much of a story hook most of the time, because the gameplay speaks for itself. If you don't enjoy the gameplay, you won't enjoy the game. It's not a game where you grind and grind either. It's a dungeon crawler where you explore dungeons to find treasures and exits, mapping your way through and noting shortcuts and so on. It's addictive for people who like that sort of gameplay, and that's the main hook of the game.

Awesome. Is there a lot of backtracking involved? Beat a few monsters, return to town, beat two more, go back, etc. etc. If so, how often do you have to go back to town on any given quest?

scy

I tried it once with squall shot and only got 1 link but maybe I got stupidly unlucky.

I think it's some kind of hard code rather than a random chance. That is, 3 hits will never give you 2 Links but 4 will. I don't have a multi-hit skill in my setup to test it with right now though.

Still, having a Dancer means you can just setup Sambas and Rush Dance anyway and most likely not care :x

Awesome. Is there a lot of backtracking involved? Beat a few monsters, return to town, beat two more, go back, etc. etc. If so, how often do you have to go back to town on any given quest?

It largely depends on your party. Generally speaking, I can stay in until my inventory fills up but I also tend to make my parties rather self-sufficient for this. Early on, you'll definitely be returning often, especially if you're trying to kill the FoEs (basically, mini-bosses) that you run into.

There's not too much backtracking though. There's plenty of shortcuts on the map anyway to cut down travel time on a given floor. Quests are unlocked per floor and generally involve the that floor (e.g., reaching the 3rd Floor gives you quests for stuff found on the 3rd Floor).

Missions (Quests to progres the plot) are given ahead of time so there's not much backtracking for those.

Anteo

Too add a litle more, you don't have to grind that much in this game, if you go mapping the dugeon you'll naturally get exp from random battles. Quest and Missions give exp too so that helps a lot. Now IF you hit a wall with a boss that you cant kill, don't go griding to get levels, go hunting monsters for new equips, the diference from my last equip to my current one was a 50 dmg per hit and around 20-30 damage reduction, which is pretty good. Expect to run into regular random battles that will almost destroy you, sometimes you have to run (I'm looking at you War Bison)

In the game there is a command that will reset all the skillpoints of a character at cost of 2 levels, so if you abuse that you may have to grind a little to get back to the averge level at that point in the game.

minty_jpg

About 3 hours in so far. My only gripe is that the drops are many, the bag only holds 60, but the stuff doesn't sell for much. Right now I'm on the first floor of the first dungeon, grinding for en to equip my team right, then kill the FOE's and then finally complete the mission. I refuse to move before killing this monkey (not able to do it at level 5, trying again at 10).

I love how the grind is easier with the auto move button. I'm typing and playing right now ^^

Anteo

About 3 hours in so far. My only gripe is that the drops are many, the bag only holds 60, but the stuff doesn't sell for much. Right now I'm on the first floor of the first dungeon, grinding for en to equip my team right, then kill the FOE's and then finally complete the mission. I refuse to move before killing this monkey (not able to do it at level 5, trying again at 10).

I love how the grind is easier with the auto move button. I'm typing and playing right now ^^

I'm sorry to use you as a example but things like this make people think this game is grindy. I just moved on, the drops are better on the next floor, there are more spots to take materials (the shinny spots on the ground) and more quest open up.

I think it's faster early in the game to get money by grabbing food from the airship than by grinding enemies. Grinding easy enemies just isn't a very productive way to get money *or* experience.

minty_jpg

I'm sorry to use you as a example but things like this make people think this game is grindy. I just moved on, the drops are better on the next floor, there are more spots to take materials (the shinny spots on the ground) and more quest open up.

No need to apologize. I play all my games that way though. I over prepare and then end up overleveling/powering the boss. Just my style.

I think it's faster early in the game to get money by grabbing food from the airship than by grinding enemies. Grinding easy enemies just isn't a very productive way to get money *or* experience.

Thanks for the tip ^^

knkng

I just scanned in the QR Quest Deer Chasers (which is only available to use after you reach the Scarlet Pillars area), and it's asking me to kill the Furyhorn in Spring Valley. The problem is that I already killed that thing ages ago, before finishing the Lush Woodlands. The game isn't recognizing that I've killed it, and the Furyhorn is completely gone from Spring Valley, so basically I have no way of completing this quest.

Does anybody know if the Furyhorn will eventually return, or am I basically just screwed with this one? And why the hell do they force you to scan this quest only after finishing the first map? Obviously I've already beaten everything there...I just don't get it.

Anteo

Also, if you are going to grab food, get a level 1 character as the only character in your party, everytime you go to the inn, the price depends on your party level, so 1 low level character will reduce the sleeping cost which in turn will make many runs cost effective.

I just scanned in the QR Quest Deer Chasers (which is only available to use after you reach the Scarlet Pillars area), and it's asking me to kill the Furyhorn in Spring Valley. The problem is that I already killed that thing ages ago, before finishing the Lush Woodlands. The game isn't recognizing that I've killed it, and the Furyhorn is completely gone from Spring Valley, so basically I have no way of completing this quest.

Does anybody know if the Furyhorn will eventually return, or am I basically just screwed with this one? And why the hell do they force you to scan this quest only after finishing the first map? Obviously I've already beaten everything there...I just don't get it.

FOEs respawn once in a while, anything between 1 and 7 in game days (the Bears respawn almost inmediatly for example)

knkng

FOEs respawn once in a while, anything between 1 and 7 in game days (the Bears respawn almost inmediatly for example)

Great, thank you. I noticed that the bears respawn immediately, so I was thinking that the Furyhorn might have been permanently killed. I couldn't remember how it worked in the previous game. :p

Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with the Hollow Queen? I can't even hit her! I'm using:

L / F / D
S / R

I've got two points in spotter on the sniper, so I imagine that's helping, but I'm still only connecting with my hits maybe one in four attempts...

scy

Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with the Hollow Queen? I can't even hit her! I'm using:

L / F / D
S / R

I've got two points in spotter on the sniper, so I imagine that's helping, but I'm still only connecting with my hits maybe one in four attempts...

Leg Bind will stop your attacks from missing.

Edit: And
Wufan should cover that for you via her Circles, unless you don't have her with you for this fight somehow. I believe all Hollows have a weakness to Leg Bind so it'll quite a few applications before they hit immunity status. Should be more than enough time to kill them all

scy

The poor Arcanist in the Bar just wants some love ;__;

"P-please use m-m-me!"

Or was it the Sniper that says this one? I forget.

Edit: "This one" being the tip on Binds for the Hollows (and also the Burst Skill Accuracy one too, I believe?).

KarmaCow

Last question (I promise!). Do I need to have played the first 3 games to appreciate or understand this one?

The story in EO games is practically non-existent and there no link between the games beyond an item reference. There is some value in playing the older games but it is a huge time investment.

Just beat the 3rd labyrinth...my goodness. Just going through that labyrinth was a pain. The boss was no pushover either.

This is my team at the moment:

Level 37 Fortress/Landsknecht
Level 38 Landsknecht/Fortress
Level 38 Dancer/Medic

Then in the back row:

Level 33 Runemaster/Arcanist
Level 37 Sniper/Dancer

I had to rest my Runemaster to change up his elemental attack for the boss fight.

I like how when you throw up a circle with the Arcanist and it fails, it's still considered to be up, which lets me plan out when to use dismiss heal. So beautiful. I'm proud of my Runemaster and his 270 TP, lol.

Going to take a break from the main quest and finish off any side quests I have as well as level up for a few. A ton of new equipment at the store but I have no money so I need those as well.

I should really go play Brain Age though...I've missed 3 days in a row :(

http://t.co/K0YHikFbHd
(QR code: Matador Rapier. 32 Attack Rapier with Instant Death status)

The above code was given to @chillzilla for winning an EOIV contest and he decided to share it with everyone. Got this from gamefaqs (who got it from him) and just wanted to pass it along.

Y'know, it's shit like this that stands in start contrast to microtransactions. Atlus packages their shit with extras AND is hooking up the QR codes as we go on for items. It makes me want to give them more business.

Ken

So I played the demo up to where I got my skyship. I like it so far but before I go and drop $40 on it I was wondering a few things.

What's the secret to combat? So far from level 1-4 I just set everyone to auto attack and only stop to heal or something. IIRC combat was why I didn't bother going too far in with EO3 since it felt...boring? I have to imagine it opens up when I get more active skills?

What happens if you game over in normal difficulty? Is there perma-death?

Aside from getting new skills, are there any significant milestones to look forward to with leveling up the classes like job advancement?

Anteo

So I played the demo up to where I got my skyship. I like it so far but before I go and drop $40 on it I was wondering a few things.

What's the secret to combat? So far from level 1-4 I just set everyone to auto attack and only stop to heal or something. IIRC combat was why I didn't bother going too far in with EO3 since it felt...boring? I have to imagine it opens up when I get more active skills?

Auto attack is actually the worst way to train at early levels, as it that command will make sure that every monster is damaged equally (as in if a monster is in low health it will have low chances to be attacked). The combat opens up as soon as you pick skills with different effects, also this game throws you enemies with resistance to physical attacks pretty early on so just spaming auto will get you killed. Now if you are just grinding to make auto attack viable, it will get boring pretty fast.

What happens if you game over in normal difficulty? Is there perma-death?

No, you just go back to your last save.

Aside from getting new skills, are there any significant milestones to look forward to with leveling up the classes like job advancement?

In this entry there are 3 tiers of spells, a new tier is open up every 20 levels.
Also you can subclass later in the game.

scy

Auto attack is actually the worst way to train at early levels, as it that command will make sure that every monster is damaged equally (as in if a monster is in low health it will have low chances to be attacked).

I always found it funny that Auto combat for the Player was the same Random Target function that the enemy used.

But skills seem to cost a lot of TP? That's why I've been spamming AAs.

This game is a bit more lenient with TP costs across the board and carries on the EO3 tradition of shortcuts everywhere. Leaving and returning to where you were at isn't as big of a hassle now. On top of that, TP restoration options later in the game are vastly improved. There's basically no way for you to run out of TP on many mid-to-late game characters if you so desire.

KarmaCow

Well that's the point, it's a test of how long you can last in the dungeon before going back to recharge. You aren't meant to stay in a dungeon forever.

edit: aww really? There were ways to cheese the other game with TP restoring techniques but I didn't see any skills other than the Fortress's one in this game.

Anteo

TP cost is not that big at the begining, plus you can get some items that increase your max TP. Also you are supposed to go back to town every time you run out of mana and can't fight anymore, if you really want to grind until you can steam roll everything just by auto attacking you can do it, but you will run into the same problem you had in EO3, it gets boring.

Ricker

Since I brought the game down from normal to casual from the demo,I thought I would try one of those white Kangaroo's that you see while on the airship,at level 8...lol got destroyed anyway... ;P

KarmaCow

Since I brought the game down from normal to casual from the demo,I thought I would try one of those white Kangaroo's that you see while on the airship,at level 8...lol got destroyed anyway... ;P

Casual mode doesn't affect enemy strength does it? I thought it just gives an unlimited use Adriane Thread to get out of dungeons and getting a game over just sends you back to town instead of forcing you reload the last save.

You can tell if a FOE will wreck you by looking the colour of its aura.

Also just noticed that you can escape from a FOE even if you're back is to a wall now.

Ken

Well that's the point, it's a test of how long you can last in the dungeon before going back to recharge. You're aren't meant to stay in a dungeon forever.

edit: aww really? There were ways to cheese the other game with TP restoring techniques but I didn't see any skills other than the Fortress's one in this game.

TP cost is not that big at the begining, plus you can get some items that increase your max TP. Also you are supposed to go back to town every time you run out of mana and can't fight anymore, if you really want to grind until you can steam roll everything just by auto attacking you can do it, but you will run into the same problem you had in EO3, it gets boring.

Oh okay. I always like to see how far I can get into dungeons without basing in other games.

Velcro Fly

Got my main party up to level 15. Think the next logical step for me is B3F of the Lush Woodlands. Still fooling around with leveling a Sniper and Dancer too. Those are only level 5 or 6 right now.

Not sure how good my builds are but they are working right now. Can always rest though.

Is there a site that contains all of the free QR code stuff?

What about an early build guide? I've never played EO before, and I don't want to fuck it up.

KarmaCow

Is there a site that contains all of the free QR code stuff?

What about an early build guide? I've never played EO before, and I don't want to fuck it up.

Maybe there is a better collection but there are a bunch of QR codes in the OP. Volcynika has been good about keeping it updated.

As for an early build, just experiment. For obvious tips, you'll want a Fortress because they can attract enemy attacks and you'll want a healer. Medics are good as pure healers, though they don't do much else and Dancers can serve as a decent healer with items + the Regen Waltz skill which restores hp every turn.

You can't really fuck up in the early game, especially with resetting skills only costing 2 levels. Since skills are tiered by character level, I'm actually putting points into skills that I normally don't use simple because I don't have other good places to put them into at the moment.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole of theory-crafting there is this skill calculator. It's not complete but it does have a bit more detail about skills like percentage increases instead of the simple arrows in the actual game. But really, you'll probably be better off just trying stuff instead of trying to min-max from the beginning.

Anteo

Maybe there is a better collection but there are a bunch of QR codes in the OP. Volcynika has been good about keeping it updated.

As for an early build, just experiment. For obvious tips, you'll want a Fortress because they can attract enemy attacks and you'll want a healer. Medics are good as pure healers, though they don't do much else and Dancers can serve as a decent healer with items + the Regen Waltz skill which restores hp every turn.

You can't really fuck up in the early game, especially with resetting skills only costing 2 levels. Since skills are tiered by character level, I'm actually putting points into skills that I normally don't use simple because I don't have other good places to put them into at the moment.

You can save skill points to use them when the next tier opens up. I had like 3 points in my NS that I didn't know where to put and all of them went to a tier 2 skill when I hit 20.

KarmaCow

You can save skill points to use them when the next tier opens up. I had like 3 points in my NS that I didn't know where to put and all of them went to a tier 2 skill when I hit 20.

I know but I can also just rest the team with how lenient the penalty is for resetting skills. Actual character level isn't that important. Like right now I'm trying out Holy Smite instead of just continuing to boost defense related skills.

Hey guys, EO newbie here, never played a game like this before, and I DLed the demo and have been playing it and I really enjoy it so far. I just have some questions before I decide whether to purchase it now or not:

How long is the game and what kind of end game / replayability does the game offer?

How high do character levels go? Do i have to concern myself where i spend my skills or will I eventually level up to the point where I will have them all?

how many areas (or mazes I guess) does the game have? I guess what I'm saying is will I find myself wandering around the same few areas a lot or will there be a lot of different areas to fight in?

How grindy is this game?

What're your guys' opinions on EO4 in general? Is it the best of the series?

I started the game on casual mode, what are the differences that I'm missing between casual and normal?

50+ hours and TONS of extra missions, floors, bosses, and loot to find, with promise of more via QR codes.

Leveling up to that point is very tough, if nothing's changed, and if it's possible this go around.

Lots of areas, and both.

Very. Fear grind, set yourself up for failure in this.

Good. It's not yet at 2's level, but it's definately come out of the gate stronger than 3 did (Airships > waterships)

Tension and cold white-knuckle FEAR.

lingiii

Banned
I just beat the sentinel and unlocked subclassing! Fucking pumped to get back out there. This game is super great about pacing. Right before this last breakthrough, I was kind of lulling and losing the faith, and now all of a sudden they drop a fat stack of new things on me and I'm excited as hell all over again. Subclasses! Passing through tornadoes! New Quests! New dungeon zone! Probably I can beat some overworld FOEs that used to give me trouble!

Shit's invigorating.

Very. Fear grind, set yourself up for failure in this.
I thought this wasn't true of this game...does it force you to do lots of grinding later? I have yet to need to do any grinding whatsoever, though I've admittedly only finished the second floor of the first dungeon, having just reached level 11. I'm playing on Normal, BTW.

Top Bottom