• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Anteo

I thought this wasn't true of this game...does it force you to do lots of grinding later? I have yet to need to do any grinding whatsoever, though I've admittedly only finished the second floor of the first dungeon, having just reached level 11. I'm playing on Normal, BTW.

Nope. Havent grind so far and Im at level 27. What I did do is go hunt for materials for weapons.

Talaysen

Generally the grindiness of these games is highly overrated. Good team setup and tactics will see you through.

You do need to grind for getting equips sometimes, but that's still optional, and is very focused (go kill X monster for Y item so you can get Z equip) and relatively quick. It's more like a sidequest than grinding.

Never write it off is what I mean, as I would guess it would hit everyone at least once in a playthrough, even with QR code quests. (Note, I see grinding as a tool, not a goal or flaw).

lingiii

Banned
Still on the fence between this and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Thoughts? And no, I cannot afford both.

I left off Fire Emblem to be absorbed by this guy. I'd have to throw my hat in with EOIV. As far as I am, EOIV is much more dynamic than Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem battles look the same 1 hour in as 10 hours in; even when you class change your dudes, you're just allowing them to start also using axes, but your strategies and tactics are pretty static throughout. EOIV lets you change everything at the drop of a hat (which you should do at 22, and later as you can retire dudes, and again as you pick up new classes/subclassing). Plus, EOIV has fights / overworld / dungeon diving. There's a lot more variety in what you're looking at.

zroid

Banned
Shiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, two games shipped to me yesterday (from the same place), one arrived today, one didn't (for some reason).

EO4 was the one that didn't ;_;

Monday is so far away...

Ala Alba

So how do the QR code treasure maps work? I've been scanning them, but I haven't noticed getting any new treasure entries in my treasure book. Am I just scanning the wrong ones somehow or something?

So how do the QR code treasure maps work? I've been scanning them, but I haven't noticed getting any new treasure entries in my treasure book. Am I just scanning the wrong ones somehow or something?

Scan a QR code and choose "yes" to register the guild card.
Go to "manage guild cards".
Go to the card you just scanned, press Y and choose "register treasure map"

spiritfox

just got my copy.

strategically speaking, how kawaii should i make my party in this one?

Very. Just remember to have some lolis. GAF loves lolis.

The only thing I don't like about the QR code equips is that they make the early game so much easier. Free good equips means more money for other stuff, and less money management. I didn't have to worry about what to buy for my party yet.

Insaniac

You can have up to 3 dances active a time because there are only 3 buff slots. You can even have two dances of the same type active, like Guard and Attack Tango.

hmm, does stacking the dances increase their effect or duration? Also you mentioned buff slots, does this mean I can have 3 buffs total among the entire party?

Anteo

hmm, does stacking the dances increase their effect or duration? Also you mentioned buff slots, does this mean I can have 3 buffs total among the entire party?

3 buffs per character. You can see what buff and debubs are active by presing Y in battle. Using a buff again Will increase its duration

Talaysen

3 buffs per person. The dances are buffs on the dancer, even though they affect their whole line. So that means the other people in the line can have 3 buffs in addition to getting the effect of the dances.

Using a buff or debuff while it is still in effect will increase its duration.

KarmaCow

Each dance acts independently of one another and using any buff again before it has lost its effect will boost the duration. A dance only takes up a buff slot on the Dancer even though it will affect the entire line. If you press Y in a battle you can see what are the current buffs active on each character and pressing Y again lets you see the debuffs on each character.

So if you have say a Fortress that uses Strike Guard (which boosts the entire party's defense), the Dancer will only have 2 slots available for dances. Using a buff when all the slots are full will overwrite the oldest (I think) buff.

spiritfox

Also, you can have a cast a new buff after all buff slots are full, it will just overwrite the oldest one.

edit: damn you Karmacow >.<

Now that I'm finished with the demo, I'm kicking myself for not having this shipped two day when I ordered. I want to play, and this thread isn't helping.

Well, I guess I'll be playing it by the end of next week... :(

mugwhump

Does anyone have an in-depth explanation of the combat mechanics? Stuff like damage calculations or how turn order is decided? I can't really find anything.

An explanation of what the different stats do would be nice.

Never write it off is what I mean, as I would guess it would hit everyone at least once in a playthrough, even with QR code quests. (Note, I see grinding as a tool, not a goal or flaw).
But you made a huge deal about it, acting as if the game is filled with grinding and people should fear it. But that's obviously no where near the case at all from what other people are saying (and my experiences so far, and I haven't entered in a single QR code). This is the kind of stuff that keeps people from buying the games, which keeps them from being popular enough for more games in the genre to be coming out. Have you gotten far enough in EO4 to reach a point where it forces you to grind yet, with no alternative?

You do need to grind for getting equips sometimes, but that's still optional, and is very focused (go kill X monster for Y item so you can get Z equip) and relatively quick. It's more like a sidequest than grinding.
So far I'm just going through without grinding, and when I get back to town, usually new equipment is unlocked by what I happened to pick up, yay! :) I never pay attention to the stuff I haven't unlocked yet.

Boogiepop

The game finally came in today, so yay! Replaced my Fortress and Sniper with a Dancer and Nightseeker, working pretty well for now.

Got down to the third floor, cleared all the side dungeons I can get in thus far. Looks like there's a boss/strong enemy waiting for me, so it seemed like a good place for a break.

Also, noooooooo at the massively decreased storage space in the inn. I used to use that as my dumping ground for items I wasn't going to use (jars and crap, high powered healing, yellow/rare equips) while doing normal exploration, but now I'm going to have to, like, sell stuff! Why, game, why?! Also, is there any purpose to keeping around the QR code non-equip items? Or are those just a bit of quick cash?

BearChair

Can someone help me with the Moth Eggs quest. I have gone to the Moth's Garden. I have killed every moth there and searched every wall. Is the egg a conditional drop? or do I have to find a way to open the locked door?

Prinny

Also, noooooooo at the massively decreased storage space in the inn. I used to use that as my dumping ground for items I wasn't going to use (jars and crap, high powered healing, yellow/rare equips) while doing normal exploration, but now I'm going to have to, like, sell stuff! Why, game, why?! Also, is there any purpose to keeping around the QR code non-equip items? Or are those just a bit of quick cash?
You get more space later, I have 25 right now (I think you start with 10).

Anteo

Does anyone have an in-depth explanation of the combat mechanics? Stuff like damage calculations or how turn order is decided? I can't really find anything.

Can't find one either, the only thing I know is that skills have a speed attribute, some skills are fast so they tend to go at the begining of the turn, some other are really slow and come at the end.

So far I'm just going through without grinding, and when I get back to town, usually new equipment is unlocked by what I happened to pick up, yay! :) I never pay attention to the stuff I haven't unlocked yet.

The only point where I look for new equips is just before a boss fight. I go through the maze killing all FOE in preparation for the boss and check what equips are about to be unlocked to get them if possible.

Anteo

On the list of food effects, there's a picture of a skull and RES 3+. I understand the element pictures, but what's the skull?

Insta death, that's probably a +3 resistance against that. I belive the mantis in the 2nd land have a chance of instadeath with its amputate skill. (Also that skill hits pretty hard anyways so he can one-shoot you regardless of the effect)

scy

Well, here's EO3 information on the subject. I think most is still relevant but not sure on any small changes:

Turn Order is the sum of all SPD Modifiers (Weapons and Armor all modify Speed) + AGI + Rn(0..4), if I recall.

Damage is a pretty straightforward function:

For STR Damage:
(WeaponATK - DefenderDEF) * sqrt(AttackerSTR / DefenderVIT)

For Players -
WeaponATK = Listed Weapon Attack value.
DefenderDEF = Sum of all equipped Armor / 3.

For Enemies -
WeaponATK = 3 * AttackerSTR
DefenderDEF = DefenderVIT

For TEC Damage:
(WeaponATK - DefenderDEF) * sqrt(AttackerTEC / DefenderTEC)

For Players -
WeaponATK = 4 * AttackerTEC
DefenderDEF = Sum of all equipped Armor

For Enemies -
WeaponATK = 5 * AttackerTEC
DefenderDEF = DefenderVIT

Talaysen

Well I was just going to post but scy beat me to everything, haha. TEC damage uses AttackerTEC and DefenderTEC instead of STR and VIT. I'm guessing that's a typo.

I think you're right in that the EO3 formulas still apply. The only difference I've found is the diminishing returns on stacking buffs or debuffs of the same type. Hopefully they fixed the wonky status formula though...

scy

Yeah ;_; Man, I wrote those so many times before and I still screw up the copy/paste of the formula haha.

OceanBlue

Just beat the second dungeon boss. That was a lot easier than the first time I fought her, lol.

Do you get more Deep Forest Lore as you play the game or are you only limited to two?

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/images/bonus/GameStop Etrian Odyssey IV 3DS QR code promo 020613.pdf

6 QR quests from gamestop. Just passing along from gamefaqs (credit to pkmntrainer7)

Info for 3 of those quests:

Find My Brother Raht
Prequisite: Reach Windy Plains
Objective: Find where this guy is.
Reward: Amrita x 2
Recommended Level: 1

Please find my son
Scarlet Pillars
Recommended level: 20
Prize: Hamao

Find my eldest son
Sacred Mountains
Recommended level: 28
Prize: Cuirassair (Armor = DEF 55)

These quests just involved reading hints at the bar and marking on the map where that person is. So don't worry about the recommended levels since there's no fighting involved.

scy

Hopefully they fixed the wonky status formula though...

Since you mentioned it, here's the formula:

Stat Diff = (2*aLUC + aTEC) - (2*dLUC - dTEC)

if Stat Diff <= -18: Accuracy = Skill%
-18 < Stat Diff < 22: Accuracy = [1.17 + 0.83 * (sin(0.07*StatDiff - 0.20) )] * Skill%
if Stat Diff >= 22: Accuracy = 2 * Skill%

Actual Chance = Accuracy + Rn(0..9)

Basically, it ranges from the actual amount of the skill to two times it plus a random number from 0 to 9. However, there are some values above -18 and below 0 where you actually get a WORSE chance to land a status effect. For instance, Stat Diff = -10:

1.17 + 0.83 * sin(0.07 * -10 - 0.20) * Skill% ~= 0.52 * Skill%

So you have a 0.52 * Skill% chance ... which is less than what you'd have if you had, say, Stat Diff = -30 (where it'd be just Skill%). ;_;

tl;dr: In EO3, there was a range of stats where you'd have a shitty chance to land a status effect for no apparent reason because someone dumbed a formula.

Edit: This is one of the formulas I want to solve but, honestly, beating the game is a higher priority for me right now.

Koroviev

Since you mentioned it, here's the formula:

Stat Diff = (2*aLUC + aTEC) - (2*dLUC - dTEC)

if Stat Diff <= -18: Accuracy = Skill%
-18 < Stat Diff < 22: Accuracy = [1.17 + 0.83 * (sin(0.07*StatDiff - 0.20) )] * Skill%
if Stat Diff >= 22: Accuracy = 2 * Skill%

Actual Chance = Accuracy + Rn(0..9)

Basically, it ranges from the actual amount of the skill to two times it plus a random number from 0 to 9. However, there are some values above -18 and below 0 where you actually get a WORSE chance to land a status effect. For instance, Stat Diff = -10:

1.17 + 0.83 * sin(0.07 * -10 - 0.20) * Skill% ~= 0.52 * Skill%

So you have a 0.52 * Skill% chance ... which is less than what you'd have if you had, say, Stat Diff = -30 (where it'd be just Skill%). ;_;

tl;dr: In EO3, there was a range of stats where you'd have a shitty chance to land a status effect for no apparent reason because someone dumbed a formula.

Edit: This is one of the formulas I want to solve but, honestly, beating the game is a higher priority for me right now.

How do you gather all of this information?

scy

How do you gather all of this information?

A ROM dump and poking around through the code.

Which, on that note, is also why EO4 is missing a lot of information. It's back to playtesting to solve most of it and not too many people still do that (I did it for EO1/EO2 ;_;).

spiritfox

Thanks Scy for all that hard work! It came very useful when I was playing the first 3 games, and I'm sure it'll help a lot again here.

Koroviev

A ROM dump and poking around through the code.

Which, on that note, is also why EO4 is missing a lot of information. It's back to playtesting to solve most of it and not too many people still do that (I did it for EO1/EO2 ;_;).

Oh, gotcha. Cool stuff :)

Top Bottom