• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

KarmaCow

God damn (3rd Land)
Kibagami
is really wrecking my party. Perhaps I'm playing too defensive, stubbornly using blind with my Nightseeker but I cannot beat it without losing almost my entire team. Am I missing something or
is there no way to stop his revive near the end of the fight?

This game has been getting stellar reviews, but I'm reluctant to jump in because I haven't played any of the previous Etrian Odyssey games. WHAT DO I DO!?

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
This game has been getting stellar reviews, but I'm reluctant to jump in because I haven't played any of the previous Etrian Odyssey games. WHAT DO I DO!?

Download the demo and see what you think. And don't sweat the previous games, since there are no meaningful story connections between any of the game (unless something is buried in the post-game content that I haven't seen yet).

vall03

Just man up!

The damage on the robo hounds was absurd the first time I fought them. Then I just figured them out (Sleep!) and it became pretty easy

I'd love to, but they respawn after a day anyway. That victory would be pointless if I have to fight them again when I re-enter the dungeon.

Anteo

This is the best game to jump in. The story isn't connected to the other games, the balance is great at the begining. And you can try the demo and transfer your data to the main game if you buy it. The only donwside is that the sound and graphic quality of the demo is low (to save a few MB) and some songs even cut early, but the full game looks and sounds great.

Think of it like this: EO4 is in general considered to be the best game in the series, so you'll have the best chances of liking this game of the bunch. And, each game is like 30-40 hours, so if you decided to play the older, worse ones first, you'd have a good chance of burning out before you reached this one.

Anteo

Think of it like this: EO4 is in general considered to be the best game in the series, so you'll have the best chances of liking this game of the bunch. And, each game is like 30-40 hours, so if you decided to play the older, worse ones first, you'd have a good chance of burning out before you reached this one.

That cant be right...

*Checks Activity logs*
38:26, just finished the 3rd land. I'm so slow...

scy

:eek: where can I learn more?

I think at best an NPC might mention that FoEs do this but there's no list. I've been going around looking for the best ones to farm and so far I only have two:

Dream Eater (Gold Stinkhorn), 1 day respawn, x3 on map.
Icy Pincer (Happiness Hare), 3 day respawn, x2 on map.

I'd love to, but they respawn after a day anyway. That victory would be pointless if I have to fight them again when I re-enter the dungeon.

:(

I first went in there around 7 or 8 PM. Got the kill, took like two steps, OH HEY RESPAWNS. ;__;

lingiii

Banned

God that demo is so smart to transfer data to full game. You're almost better off starting with the demo than the full game anyway because it sandboxes off a couple places you might accidentally wander into. Check that shit out!

Also: just saw on Club Nintendo this game is worth 60 (!) coins if you got the downloadable version. Go forth ye, and register that shit.

Ala Alba

Amazon shipped the first two games out to me today, completing my collection (though I never did beat III). I think after I finish this game, I'll go back to the first and work my way through the series (eventually coming back for a second play-through of IV).

Now, back to grinding!

duckroll

Been going slow, so I only just made it to the second Land yesterday. Is it just me, or does it just look much uglier? The airship part looks kinda gross, and the first Cave I've encountered so far looks like a palette swap of the ones in the first Land but with uglier colors and textures! Is it just me? Lol.

Pretty great game so far though. Glad I jumped back in the series. :D

slayn

needs to show more effort.
post game bosses:
Dragons? What dragons? They're all dead. Pretty easy this time too. With releasal spell and both my sniper and arcanist working full time binds they were able to keep the dragons locked down hard.

Oh hey what's this new dragon... oh god what's hap... why is my entire team locked down with every bind all at once... now wha... oh he's doing 400 damage to everyone even while his arm and legs are both bound... ok... I'm dead

Killed my first rare breed(a rat) and all I got was some bonus exp. Then I finally killed the angry mama deer in Small Orchard and it just dropped the same material that the babby deers do. /shakes fist in impotent rage

Are rare breeds and FOEs usually this worthless, or are these exceptions?

scy

Rare Enemies are "only" there for their bonus EXP: 500%.

Edit: And the Furyhorn is basically an exception to how FoEs are. Their drops are generally really, really good. For instance, Omnihunter (an Overworld FoE from the 2nd Land) drops the component for the best Weapon for quite awhile.

Rare Enemies are "only" there for their bonus EXP: 500%.

Edit: And the Furyhorn is basically an exception to how FoEs are. Their drops are generally really, really good. For instance, Omnihunter (an Overworld FoE from the 2nd Land) drops the component for the best Weapon for quite awhile.
Aw. Exp is cool, but iirc the tutorial popup said the benefits of hunting rare breeds were "numerous."

Good to hear about the FOEs though.

spiritfox

So IGN gave this a 9.0. Pretty good.

Does this have a good story compared to past grind-heavy EOs?

Story? What story?

And I don't really get the thing about grinding. If you go through the game normally and explore every nook and cranny, you should be able to take down most things and the boss without a problem. The only grinding you have to do is if you rested and are underleveled or for the post-game stuff.

Man, forcing Shiny FoEs on the overworld is such an incredibly useful grinding tool.

It's beautiful.

Started on the 4th maze earlier today. Before then, I grinded a few levels and now everyone is 62/63.

Checked my activity log...and I've spent 75 hours on this game....that's not even counting the 15 hours I spent on the demo >_< I realllllly like this game, lol. I guess you can take a few hours off since there were times I left the 3ds idle...but for the most part, it's been all gameplay. Beating every side quest...beating all QR quests that I can..grinding for money/levels. The 3rd maze took the longest. Hated it, lol.

Just got home from work so it's time to put in more hours into this game.

Saprol

So how do you use hammers to forge stuff? I have hammers, I have weapons with empty blocks, but I'm not allowed to pick anything...

You need more of the component used to create the weapon. When you highlight the weapon it'll say how many you need to forge once.

I tried to fight the bear at level 6 and died lol.
image.php

I have the same question regarding the plot.
Is there a plot ? I don't expect something big, but I just want to know if there's no plot at all, and just going dungeons to dungeons, or is there a minimal plot, like a bad guy, a story or something ?

KarmaCow

Is there a plot ? I don't expect something big, but I just want to know if there's no plot at all, and just going dungeons to dungeons, or is there a minimal plot, like a bad guy, a story or something ?

It's not completely bare bones but the plot of the EO games are based around your guild uncovering new (surprising) details about the history of the world and the people are of the town(s) reacting to it. You're sent on missions and complete tasks for people, so you're not completely free to just delve deeper into dungeons.

If you were fine with the level of story in something like say DMC4, this makes more attempts to link everything together.

spiritfox

There is more story then compared to the earlier games, and it opens up a lot more later in the game, but it's still pretty thin, more as a excuse for you to crawl through some pretty dungeons.

vall03

Fuck this quest requiring you to kill a specific enemy. Been circling around the floor trying to find this thing and I only fought one so far, and I need three! Why so cruel?!

Just to chime in here, this is my first EO game and I'm hooked. I'll be buying the others when I'm done with this one, but I love the old school vibe to it. I actually enjoy making my own map, and it's cool not being able to just auto attack for the win.

As others have said, get the demo. :)

I'm stuck, stuck, stuck. I'm still in the second dungeon and
Whirlwind told me to follow the river to get to another dungeon, I tried and to find it and couldn't.
Any hints?

Story is more present, I'd say, but it still takes the backseat to everything else. I think based on your concerns, the game probably still isn't for you.

I guess I'll regrettably skip this one. I can't invest in these types of games anymore. I still like them but at this point, it'll be just buying it for the sake of having another JRPG in my library.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Just entered the fourth land at level 36, I want to use those lvl 40 skills dammit.

duckroll

There is a plot. The story starts with adventurers all flocking to this place because of an interest in discovering the secret behind Yggdrasil, this huge tree you see in the horizon. There are characters, objectives, and story events. It's just not the main focus in the game. As you progress through the game you will encounter more characters and story elements which explain the world around you and so on.

spiritfox

I'm stuck, stuck, stuck. I'm still in the second dungeon and
Whirlwind told me to follow the river to get to another dungeon, I tried and to find it and couldn't.
Any hints?

Is it the
Noisy Marsh?
It's at the northwest near the FOE,
on the island in the middle of the lake.
You have be over it to discover it.

vall03

Why am I not having any trouble beating Area Bosses, but Im having trouble with the regular FOEs in the dungeon?! Battle ended before the guest Imperials Gunblade overheat ended. Im so gonna have my revenge on those FOEs someday.

spiritfox

Does anyone have the link to the skill calc?

edit: Wait nvm. Found it.

edit2: Does the Dancer's Speed Boost stack with the Night Seeker's?

spiritfox

Ok, I'm not sure how to build a Fortress. Taunt falls off later in the game because of all the AOE skills, and the guards take up too much TP for normal battles. Shielding seems ok, but is it just me or does it only block one instance of damage per turn? Sub-classing wise, Dancer seems the best for evades and speed, but I'm trying out Medic for Patch Up, Refresh, and TP Boost. Not really feeling it though.

Sorry for the double post BTW.

vall03

So, whats a good sub-class for an Imperial? I actually have three choices, Nightseeker, Bushi or Runemaster. But I can't seem to decide between the three.

Top Bottom