• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

lingiii

Banned
dudes, once you can fly to max height, what's with the wind above the waterfall in Land 1? do you pass through that later or am I just a dingus?

Anteo

dudes, once you can fly to max height, what's with the wind above the waterfall in Land 1? do you pass through that later or am I just a dingus?

I'm guessing we get an upgrade to go through windy areas.
There is another area like that in Land 3.

lingiii

Banned
I'm guessing we get an upgrade to go through windy areas.
There is another area like that in Land 3.

yeah, and food you can't get to in 2. I'm pretty sure there's like a backroom path back there but don't know how to get into it.

I'm on floor 2 of the labyrinth in Land 4, so maybe it'll open up after that.

Anteo

yeah, and food you can't get to in 2. I'm pretty sure there's like a backroom path back there but don't know how to get into it.

I'm on floor 2 of the labyrinth in Land 4, so maybe it'll open up after that.

Yeah I'm in floor 1 of land 4, so there is a lot more to explore yet.

Is it the
Noisy Marsh?
It's at the northwest near the FOE,
on the island in the middle of the lake.
You have be over it to discover it.

Its morning now! I'm a little confused. Whats the grid location? I think it might be the one with the two FOEs by it but I can't beat a kangaroo.
Sorry about the confusion
My party is only 11

hipgnosis

So what's the consensus on this one compared to the previous games, is it the best one yet?

I have played 1 and 3. I absolutely loved 3 so I'm gonna grab this one as well when it hits Europe.

Its morning now! I'm a little confused. Whats the grid location? I think it might be the one with the two FOEs by it but I can't beat a kangaroo.
Sorry about the confusion
My party is only 11

So you're looking for the third dungeon in the first land, then?
If so, yes it's the one past the two kangaroos. I got to the dungeon by fighting the kangaroos and running from them because they team up on you.
The escape let me get behind them to the area they guard, then I "discovered" the dungeon so I could warp to it later, then booked it out of there with the shortcut in the cliff face to the south.

Anteo

Can someone explain how retiring a character works? It sounds beneficial, but I'm a little confuse to what it does..

It dismiss a character and allows you to register a new character with half the level and extra stats/skillpoints. There are some rules though:

The max level of the new recruit is 30. (So if you retire at levels 60-99 you get a level 30 char)
You get +1 to all stats +1 sp for every 10 levels of your retirng character.
It doesn't stack, only the last retire gives you stats.

tuffy

Can someone explain how retiring a character works? It sounds beneficial, but I'm a little confuse to what it does..
Retiring a character at level 30 gets you a new level 15(?) recruit with +1 to each stat and 4 extra skill points on top of whatever you'd have normally. Every 10 levels before retiring gets you another stat bonus and skill point.

Just be sure to unequip all your gear beforehand.

Althane

More advancement!

Made it to
The Village
in the second maze. So, not a ton of progress, but my peeps are all approaching level 22, but I'm doing pretty well with the fighting (cleaned out 3/4ths of the frogs in the swamp cave) so I don't think I'm going to rest them when the last one reaches 22.

The EXP boosting Burst is incredibly useful. What's the total multiplier? I used it against a shiny Kangaroo, ended up getting something like 15k EXP. Delicious.

I've been going Swordbreaker for the Landsknecht. 50% damage, even with a 10% or so chance, seems incredibly powerful.

Been playing quite a bit since I last posted. Currently on land 3 2nd floor of the labyrinth(name escapes me). This entry has great dungeon design lots of time saving secret passages for covering ground and farming faster

Dropped my medic for an arcanist as soon as I beat the second boss, the debuffs and healing she provides are great. My landsknecht has passed up my nightstalker on damage dealing but I expect this to change as I unlock level 40 skills/dual spec

Current party is L N D / F A

scy

You permanently delete a character to create a brand new character* with bonus Stats and Skill Points based off the level of the character Retired. This new character will also start at half the level of the Retired character, rounded down, up to 30 (that is, Retiring at Level 70 yields a Level 30 character still, not a 35).

*The Stat Books from Pookas are carried over so don't worry about this.

Edit: Learn to refresh ;__;

Retiring now unequips characters so you don't have to do this.

The EXP boosting Burst is incredibly useful. What's the total multiplier? I used it against a shiny Kangaroo, ended up getting something like 15k EXP. Delicious.

150% EXP. As far as I'm aware, it seems to be:

TotalEXP = BaseEXP * (Food Multiplier) * (Holy Gift Multiplier) * (Shiny Multiplier)

So this means Fire Crystal (130%) with Holy Gift (150%) and Shiny (500%) nets you ~975% EXP.

Anteo

Retiring a character at level 30 gets you a new level 15(?) recruit with +1 to each stat and 4 extra skill points on top of whatever you'd have normally. Every 10 levels before retiring gets you another stat bonus and skill point.

You know, I hit submit and the second the page loads, your post was there, after mine. We replied almost at the same time.

tuffy

Retiring now unequips characters so you don't have to do this.
That's a relief. Yet another simple thing to make the series more player-friendly.
You know, I hit submit and the second the page loads, your post was there, after mine. We replied almost at the same time.
I'd double-checked to see if an answer was there before posting, but the timestamps don't lie :)

Thanks for the multiple replies guys xD

So it's best to retire at 60 to get the most stats out of it, I assume?

edit: also, how do you guys deal with leveling a new lvl 1 character when everyone is like 40+? The good ol fashion way?

scy

Well, 99. I Retired at 40 to change a Class and did so again at 70 because Level Caps and all (as well as changing a Class).

edit: also, how do you guys deal with leveling a new lvl 1 character when everyone is like 40+? The good ol fashion way?

You get access to a trainer after the 2nd/3rd/4th Land that lets you instantly train two people to 25/35/45. Besides that, you can force Overworld FoEs to spawn Shiny and then just kill them for massive EXP. The two notable ones used are usually the 2nd Land's Dream Eater's (Gold Stinkhorns) and the 3rd Land's Icy Pincer's (Happiness Hare).

Well, 99. I Retired at 40 to change a Class and did so again at 70 because Level Caps and all (as well as changing a Class).

You get access to a trainer after the 2nd/3rd/4th Land that lets you instantly train two people to 25/35/45.

Huh, I'm currently at Sacred Mountains and never heard of these trainers. Where do you access them? (sorry for all the questions!)

tuffy

FYI, seems like Resting does as well, so keep that in mind when you rest a character and go back to battle. =P

Who hasn't been bitten by that one? It makes sense because skills that enable the use of certain gear might be reset so your gear is unequipped (to keep you from dual weilding when you're not supposed to, for instance), but it still surprises me every time.
Huh, I'm currently at Sacred Mountains and never heard of these trainers. Where do you access them? (sorry for all the questions!)
The trainers pop up as someone to talk to in the quest bar, as I recall.

scy

Check the Pub > Gather Information >
Vessel Trainer
(Not sure if actually a spoiler but, hey!)

The game should mention getting these when you're given the Key Item for unlocking a new class.

Is level 8 high enough to go down to B2F Lush Woodlands?

Well, you were limited to Level 10 in the Demo with the 2nd Floor still out of the way. It's doable at 8 but I'd be prepared to warp out as needed. The biggest threat there will just be the higher FoE density, though.

Anteo

Is level 8 high enough to go down to B2F Lush Woodlands?

Yep, the monsters down there are not so different fomr B1F, just a few new encounters, so don't worry and keep going.

That's a relief. Yet another simple thing to make the series more player-friendly.

I'd double-checked to see if an answer was there before posting, but the timestamps don't lie :)

It just surprised me, it was like the server said: "Oh yeah I got your reply, now let me give you the page again, oh look, someone else posted a second after you!" Loading after posting and seeing more posts after mine is something that has never happened to me, like ever in any forum :lol

The level cap is 70 so that's the best, you get +7 to all stats (there are ways to go over the level cap up to 99 for a +10 to all stats, but I'm sure the game will tell you what to do, like in III)

So you're looking for the third dungeon in the first land, then?
If so, yes it's the one past the two kangaroos. I got to the dungeon by fighting the kangaroos and running from them because they team up on you.
The escape let me get behind them to the area they guard, then I "discovered" the dungeon so I could warp to it later, then booked it out of there with the shortcut in the cliff face to the south.

Wow I have a hard time luring them the way I want, they usually get stuck in front of me and side step with me.
The level cap is 70 so that's the best, you get +7 to all stats (there are ways to go over the level cap up to 99 for a +10 to all stats, but I'm sure the game will tell you what to do, like in III)

Some one said they were 81 already, I think I saw it in this thread.

Althane

Sword dance seems to have an incredibly high activation rate. I've given my dancer 3 ranks in it and a strong bow. She's doing ~100 damage per turn, before chases activate.

Velcro Fly

So I'm trying a quest in the Miasma Forest. I've pretty much fully mapped it and done stuff in there. But the Greedy Lizards destroy me. The poison damage in this game is extremely high and when my entire front line is getting poisoned every other turn, I just can't kill them. I thought with the blue hue around them on my map I would be able to take them but the poison is just too much. Any tips? Do these things have a weakness? They seem to resist fire so I may have to rest my Runemaster. It doesn't help that corridors are so damn narrow so it's really difficult to consistently avoid them. Thank goodness for the Burst skill of being able to immediately escape battle.

Anteo

So I'm trying a quest in the Miasma Forest. I've pretty much fully mapped it and done stuff in there. But the Greedy Lizards destroy me. The poison damage in this game is extremely high and when my entire front line is getting poisoned every other turn, I just can't kill them. I thought with the blue hue around them on my map I would be able to take them but the poison is just too much. Any tips? Do these things have a weakness? They seem to resist fire so I may have to rest my Runemaster. It doesn't help that corridors are so damn narrow so it's really difficult to consistently avoid them. Thank goodness for the Burst skill of being able to immediately escape battle.

Ice! iirc they are weak to ice, also try to get a bind or a status on them to make them lose turns.

Edit: I was thinking about some later lizzards, no I have not faced those guys, I just ignored them. I should go back now actually.

Edit2: Got one, like many other lizards, they are weak to ice. Also, you have a specialized runemaster? Mine has a few points in all elements, helps to deal with all kind of enemies and it's still good for bosses.

Velcro Fly

Ice! iirc they are weak to ice, also try to get a bind or a status on them to make them lose turns.

Edit: I was thinking about some later lizzards, no I have not faced those guys, I just ignored them. I should go back now actually.

Edit2: Got one, like many other lizards, they are weak to ice. Also, you have a specialized runemaster? Mine has a few points in all elements, helps to deal with all kind of enemies and it's still good for bosses.

Yeah I just put points in fire for the splash damage. Thinking I may have to rest the majority of my characters because there is pretty close to zero difficulty in the first area but the second area you need to have a halfway decent build to progress. Probably my one gripe with the game.

Anteo

Yeah I just put points in fire for the splash damage. Thinking I may have to rest the majority of my characters because there is pretty close to zero difficulty in the first area but the second area you need to have a halfway decent build to progress. Probably my one gripe with the game.

I fell the second dugeon is a "wake up" stage. The ghost like creatures and the gimmick the maze introduce are there to tell the player that the game is not easy, I got no way to deal with the ghosts until the game gave me that free thing w/o need to respec. You still don't need a specialized party, just ignore the lizzards.

Edit: I now remember why I never got around killing the lizards, the poison damage was too high. Heck it hit for 70% of my nightseeker hp and he is 40+.

I feel this is a stupid question. How do I actually retire a dude? I'm in land 3, but the retire option is still blanked out in the guild menu.

Anteo

I feel this is a stupid question. How do I actually retire a dude? I'm in land 3, but the retire option is still blanked out in the guild menu.

Select any character over level 30 .
Remember that retiring deletes the character and gives you a new one at half the level.
If you want to reset your sps use rest.

Boogiepop

Just beat the 2nd maze. God, now I have to decide
if I want an Arcanist in my party. The ability to combo with my Nightseeker is really, really tempting, but I don't know what to replace. Running L/N/D/R/M, and I like them all.
Why must you force me to make decisions, game?!

ohlawd

just beat it, fucking awesome game. Can't stress it enough.

right now my team is capped at lvl 70 but I'll play more later and see what the deal is with that.

classes I've used throughout the game
Akari (LandSexyBeast)
Aika (Fortress)
Alice (Dancer)
Alicia (Runemaster)
Akira (Nightseeker)
Athena (Sniper)
Ai (Medic)
Airi (Arcanist)
Aki (Bushi)

some come and went but here's my team when I finished
Akari (Landsknecht/Runemaster)
Alice (Dancer/Nightseeker)
Aki (Bushi/Nightseeker)
Aika (Fortress/Dancer)
Airi (Arcanist/Runemaster)

funnest to use: Airi (something about those Circles, man)
MVP: Aki (never have to worry about TP, jeezus she is a monster)
all around favorite unit: Alice (dat dancer)

Bururian

Man, I am really not playing the game fast enough it seems. People being done with a game like this a week later? Are you guys only playing this game?

Be pro-active with curing. It's frankly all they do.

Anteo

Late game spoilers (4th Land)

Vs Logre, the 2nd time. First turn, hits my Fortress for 700.

W. T. F.

Edit:
Wtf is with this guy and his high damage output, my Fortress is down again from Full.

Edit2: Revenge
Landed blind on him and my NS was hitting 650, then landed Venom and it was 700 + 650 per turn.

Talaysen

just beat it, fucking awesome game. Can't stress it enough.

right now my team is capped at lvl 70 but I'll play more later and see what the deal is with that.

classes I've used throughout the game
Akari (LandSexyBeast)
Aika (Fortress)
Alice (Dancer)
Alicia (Runemaster)
Akira (Nightseeker)
Athena (Sniper)
Ai (Medic)
Airi (Arcanist)
Aki (Bushi)

some come and went but here's my team when I finished
Akari (Landsknecht/Runemaster)
Alice (Dancer/Nightseeker)
Aki (Bushi/Nightseeker)
Aika (Fortress/Dancer)
Airi (Arcanist/Runemaster)

funnest to use: Airi (something about those Circles, man)
MVP: Aki (never have to worry about TP, jeezus she is a monster)
all around favorite unit: Alice (dat dancer)

Excellent naming theme.

Swordbreaker on two characters in the same row - does it stack? I have a Fort sub Land and a Land sub Bushi. Should both get Swordbreaker? Do they each have a chance to block the attack, or does the game only make one attempt?

Sleepy

Sorry for the repost, but

I want to make sure that I have maxed out the demo...All my characters are at level 10, I have rested to reallocate one character to redo the build, I have done all the quests, have seemingly mapped all the dungeons and caves and gotten all I can from the other balloon people, I have all the best weapons, and I have 10k. I should be done with the demo, right? Obviously, I could continue collecting money...I just want to make sure I am set for when I get the game on Thursday.

scy

Sorry for the repost, but

I want to make sure that I have maxed out the demo...All my characters are at level 10, I have rested to reallocate one character to redo the build, I have done all the quests, have seemingly mapped all the dungeons and caves and gotten all I can from the other balloon people, I have all the best weapons, and I have 10k. I should be done with the demo, right? Obviously, I could continue collecting money...I just want to make sure I am set for when I get the game on Thursday.

The only notable thing I can think of is to hunt Pookas until you get all the books but dear god don't do this it'll take way too long why did I even suggest this.

Sleepy

The only notable thing I can think of is to hunt Pookas until you get all the books but dear god don't do this it'll take way too long why did I even suggest this.

Are those the flying marshmellows? How do you catch them? I have tried but failed on each occasion.

Top Bottom