• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

scy

Just to note again on Casual vs Normal, do keep in mind that Casual gives you a flat Resistance* to everything.

*I need to double check this. If this is how it actually works, this means you hit immunity with less equipment than normal. Which would be awkward if that's how it works. Which, knowing EO traditions so far, is probably exactly how it works.

Scy knows everything about EO. I will ask him instead of asking in JP community.

Scy is the EO god

;_;

Sorry for the follow up question: So I should only retire a character once?

Just to expand on Anteo's response, there's no harm in multiple retires--there's just not that much of a gain, either. My basic recommendation is that if you're not going to switch classes with the Retire, then you probably don't need it. It's not going to help a lot. If you're going to retire early on JUST for the sake of the bonus, do so at Level 30: only having to regain 15 levels isn't so bad and the +4 Skill Points is the best bang for your buck, so to speak.

For instance, I did a Retire at Level 30 because I wanted to switch my Runemaster for an Arcanist. I then Retired at 70 because I had been using the same party all game and wanted to switch things up (and by switch things up, I mean keep the same party sans two people ;_;) + I was at the Level cap for the time being and had more to do. I'll retire again at 99 for the actual stat bonuses then.

tl;dr: Don't worry about retiring too much. It's not a big deal.

tuffy

I'm thinking about retiring characters once the new classes open up and using the level-up trainer to bring them back up to speed. I think the trainer has a level cap, but I can always rest multiple times to get under it and then hop directly to level 35/45 with the retire bonus in place.

As Scy said, Retiring is awesome because you can change your party setup, the grind to get back to your regular level isn't that bad becuause you have good gear and those bonus points. You can also spam the shiny F.O.E

InertiaXr

I figured this might be the best place to ask this instead of making a new thread:

I just got a DSi xL, and have never played any of the EO games and was wondering where to start. Is it ok to go backwards from 3 to 2 to 1, or is there too many advances to go back like that? I also don't want to start on 1 and get burned out by the time I get to 3, if that one is considered the best of the DS games...

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I figured this might be the best place to ask this instead of making a new thread:

I just got a DSi xL, and have never played any of the EO games and was wondering where to start. Is it ok to go backwards from 3 to 2 to 1, or is there too many advances to go back like that? I also don't want to start on 1 and get burned out by the time I get to 3, if that one is considered the best of the DS games...
I think 2 and 3 are both great and could probably be played in either order. But 1 has a lot of interface problems that are going to drive you crazy if you play any of the others first. (It's going to drive you crazy even if you haven't played the others first actually...)

I would probably say to skip 1 and play the others in whatever order.

The biggest jump in advancements is from 3 to 4 because in 4 you can see enemy weaknesses and stuff like that. 1, 2, and 3 are all DS games so besides that you can't strafe in 1, I think they're all probably playable. Going back to play 3 after 4 feels kind of retro. I would recommend 1, 2, and 3. It just makes sense to play them in order instead of backwards in my opinion.

Get EO3, then 4 if you ever get a 3DS

if you want, play the whole series... but play it in order, going backwards would be AWFUL because 3 and 4 are just way too good.

I tried out the demo for the game, and knowing that past games have a rep for being difficult (possibly boring me or frustrating me), I decided to use Casual mode for it.

I do not regret this decision.

The game is strangely calming when you know that you're able to handle things well, and you still need to be sort of careful anyway, especially around F.O.Es in the game.

I think my team is at around Level 6 or 7 or something. I must say, I like the pacing in the game.

(I wonder how I'll fare in Normal? I don't want to explore that until if I restart for whatever reason, way after finishing the game.)

Yea, another casual player!

I played on casual for my whole first playthrough, and I'm still on it for post-game. I'm eventually going to do New Game Plus with a new party in Normal.

The best part is reusable Ariadne Thread. The battles are easier as well. I guess that's the most important thing.

The game does have good pacing. Good luck!

ohlawd

yes Etrian Odyssey IV, I feel sooooooo overwhelmed with an uncanny sensation!!!

"You are suddenly overwhelmed with an uncanny sensation!"

"hey ohlawd wanna tell me what you're feeling?"
"why jolly good fellow, I'm feeling overwhelmed with an uncanny sensation. Thank you for asking!"

I'm going crazy.

JoeFu

Banned
Yay, beat the second maze today, died once to the boss. I have a feeling that the only thing I'm going to be doing during spring break is sitting in my bed playing this game...

Totakeke

I still can't find a stupid flame lynx in B2F of the 4th labyrinth. Stupid random encounter quests. Glad they're mostly gone but this one still exists.

vall03

Just beat the Ice Dragon and I must say, the Dragons this time are way easier than the previous games. I didn't even have to rest to re-allocate my skill points nor create a new party. I remember retiring and resting several times in previous games just to create a party build for each Dragon, and also checking the net for their attack patterns. But then again, spamming the Burst Skills in this game is almost cheating which really makes these boss fights trivial.

Yay, beat the second maze today, died once to the boss. I have a feeling that the only thing I'm going to be doing during spring break is sitting in my bed playing this game...

I'm desperate for more time/peace to do this. I'm bogged down in the 3rd Land from bite-sized play sessions. I need to CLEAR.

tuffy

The Sniper is quickly becoming one of my favorite classes. While exploring the bottom of the 3rd maze, my party wound up nearly depleted of TP and up against two of the turtle FOEs simultaneously when I failed to finish the first fight fast enough. I'd rarely felt more doomed. But I did have a TP potion in my inventory and 5 characters who needed it, so I decided to bet on binds.

Surprisingly enough, it worked.

Binding their legs disabled their special attacks, and their damage was very manageable without it. So even though they're resistant to physical attacks, I was able to pound them into submission just by keeping those binds up.

I'd never used binds much in the previous games, but I'm getting a lot of use out of them this time around.

zashga

Hmm. The
chameleon
quest boss in the fourth area is giving me a hard time. Not having much trouble with the regular FOEs at this point, but that guy is on another level.

ohlawd

Just beat the Ice Dragon and I must say, the Dragons this time are way easier than the previous games. I didn't even have to rest to re-allocate my skill points nor create a new party. I remember retiring and resting several times in previous games just to create a party build for each Dragon, and also checking the net for their attack patterns. But then again, spamming the Burst Skills in this game is almost cheating which really makes these boss fights trivial.

hey, didn't you say in an earlier post that you were using a lvl 99 character from a QR code? :p

Hmm. The
chameleon
quest boss in the fourth area is giving me a hard time. Not having much trouble with the regular FOEs at this point, but that guy is on another level.

Fortress' Elemental Guard helped me out there.

RPGFan did an interview with Yuzo Koshiro. He talks a bit about the game. States this game and Wangan Midnight 4 as his current most proud works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXqNo_wZY-o&

The music in this game is absolutely stunning. It's weird, a lot of it reminds me of Norihiko Hibino (I butchered that name I'm sure) and his work on the area musics of MGS2 -- I swear I hear that Big Shell horn in some of the dungeon tracks.

If I ever build an office building, I'm hiring Koshiro for pimpin' elevator music. (Not to demean the work, but it's clearly lounge-esque music at times. Incredibly good lounge music.)

zashga

If you drop a quest, can you pick it up again later? I kinda want to see the Count's B1 flavor text before I step into B2. :p

Ferrio

Banned
I'm down to the 3rd floor in Lush forest or whatever. I'm kinda irked that it takes a long time for my party to actually start damaging stuff. Seems the first 1-2 rounds is nothing button setting up buffs/debuffs.

spiritfox

The music in this game is absolutely stunning. It's weird, a lot of it reminds me of Norihiko Hibino (I butchered that name I'm sure) and his work on the area musics of MGS2 -- I swear I hear that Big Shell horn in some of the dungeon tracks.

If I ever build an office building, I'm hiring Koshiro for pimpin' elevator music. (Not to demean the work, but it's clearly lounge-esque music at times. Incredibly good lounge music.)

IIRC Hibino helped with the arrangements.

Edit: Nope he just helped with the recording and conducting. But I guess he did help a bit with the tunes.

jineha

Neo Member
No-medic party is very tough. I always run short of nectar.
In the 5th, sleeping lion(don't know English name exactly) and some shinny monsters appeared.
Arcanits, Snare circle > Sniper, Chase bind > WAKES UP!
In EO, death makes me laugh. Really funny Indeed.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I have a question about the 4th maze boss.

When the golem thing turned into just a head, it said it would do something in 2 turns. I bound it's head and this stopped it, and I eventually killed it. The attack it said it would do, was it super strong or instant kill?

Totakeke

Beat the final main game boss, did it 1st try as usual. Well that was pretty fun and the music is fantastic all the way. I still haven't used Samurai or Imperial because I'm too attached to my current setup. On to see what the post-game has in store.

vall03

ugh... getting a wipe because the FOE petrified my whole party sucks so bad. The RNG gods doesn't like me today, and I was prepared with Refresh Waltz on both lines. *sigh*

*is considering getting this game via digital distribution because it's unlikely that he'll see physical*

*wonders what province to use for the Canadian eShop.*

Totakeke

I finished the main game around Lvl 58-60, but with all those misses against the dragons I'm definitely out of my league...

*is considering getting this game via digital distribution because it's unlikely that he'll see physical*

*wonders what province to use for the Canadian eShop.*

Alberta is one of the lowest. You can't avoid 5% tax.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I have a question about the 4th maze boss.

When the golem thing turned into just a head, it said it would do something in 2 turns. I bound it's head and this stopped it, and I eventually killed it. The attack it said it would do, was it super strong or instant kill?
He just explodes for a bunch of damage. When I fought him I wasn't setup to do a lot of damage and didn't land a bind so I just healed up and defended and his explosion killed 1 guy and took the rest of my guys to low health but the battle is over then anyway so you just need 1 person to survive it.

I'm at this weird point where all I have left to do is get conditionals and fight bosses. I mapped the rest of the bonus maze today. The enemies up there are very hard even on casual.

Clunker

I keep buying EO games, even though invest finish them; the closest I got was level 23 or 24 on EO2, but I always get pulled away one reason or another.

I'm still tinkering with the demo; I have so little time to actually play (and I'm still barely 10 hours into Fire Emblem), but I'm still tinkering with my party setup. I currently have LDF / SM, and I'm only like level 5 or 6, but I feel like I'm too HP/healing based. How usable from the back row are Nightshades? Considering using an N to replace the D in front or the S in back. What skills/weapons can still hit for full in the back row?

Mihos

Gold Member
Good job on keeping the QRs up to date. I am late on starting this since I wanted to finish up Fire Emblem first!

spiritfox

I keep buying EO games, even though invest finish them; the closest I got was level 23 or 24 on EO2, but I always get pulled away one reason or another.

I'm still tinkering with the demo; I have so little time to actually play (and I'm still barely 10 hours into Fire Emblem), but I'm still tinkering with my party setup. I currently have LDF / SM, and I'm only like level 5 or 6, but I feel like I'm too HP/healing based. How usable from the back row are Nightshades? Considering using an N to replace the D in front or the S in back. What skills/weapons can still hit for full in the back row?

Only ranged weapons and skills hit for full damage in the rear. For weapons, that only means bows in EO4. Nightseekers do not do much damage in the rear, so if you want to put N in the rear, the only thing they can really do is ailments, which is not bad, but not as good as in the front row.

Consider either replacing your Fortress (should be fine with a Med) or using a Runemaster (which can sub to a Med later if needed). But your party is not that bad, even if your damage is not as good, you can last longer and not worry about your glass cannons dying. And you have the necessary members for chasing, which is always fun to play with.

spiritfox

Nightseeker sub-Dancer with two bows and Haze Dance. With a little bit of luck stats, it's pretty good for random encounters autoattack. But yeah, dual weapons is definitely affected by the stats and type of both weapons.

6th maze battle music could totally fit into SMT and is a terrific theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k0rVqaA_2c&list=PL40BC111AA2B81B61

That's not going to work until lvl 40 though. In the meantime, the N's gonna be hitting for shit.

Nvm you edited.

So are you guys going to play SMT Soul Hackers when it comes out in April? I didn't finish Strange Journey and I might give it another chance, but I'm hoping Soul Hackers is a good game. Probably won't be as good as EO4, and it's from like 1997.

Top Bottom