• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Althane

With every EO game I've played I just started carrying more and more threads. In EO1 I carried 1 (why would I ever need more than 1?) and regret it.
Then in 2 I was all, "I'm going to be smart and carry a backup." And then I would forget and regret it.
Then in 3 I was tired of my own forgetfulness and carried 3 or 4.
In this one I said fuck it and carried like 8.

When EO5 arrives my inventory will be nothing but threads.

I carry two. Have gotten caught out once so far, and debating carrying 3. But I'm hauling around a bunch of nectar and medica since I'm using a Dancer for healing rather than a Medic, so....

ohlawd

I carry two. Have gotten caught out once so far, and debating carrying 3. But I'm hauling around a bunch of nectar and medica since I'm using a Dancer for healing rather than a Medic, so....

I stopped bringing Medicas when I got my Arcanist. Its healing walk skill is nice as does dismissing a circle for full party healing.

scy

Planned: 2 Threads, 3 Nectar

Actual: 2 Threads, 3 Nectars, Madora/Hamao/other items in various quantities as given to me by Quests and random chests.

Here it is, for anyone curious:

npa8R57.png

what does this do? Do I use it, or just sell it?

Mugaaz

I have two Arcanist subs, one's on my Sniper strictly for bind effect increase and TP return when binds apply. And also the line elemental guard.

I had my Sniper sub Arcanist too, but imo Nightseeker is flat out better. The % increase passive for binds increases your chance less than double shoot from the Nightseeker line. The Nightseeker line also gives you a HUGE damage boost. For 7 points in Nightseeker you get a 40% dmg boost and 40% increase in your bind chance. Thats just insane. Also Leg Bind into double mulithit skill (forgot name) is just such sick damage its crazy.

Anteo

I can't think of anywhere else I would do it.

To be frank, the first time I had to use a QR, I thought it would not scan from a monitor so I was thought about printing it. But after working with mobile devices I learned that only 2d laser scanners don't work directly from the monitor.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I had my Sniper sub Arcanist too, but imo Nightseeker is flat out better. The % increase passive for binds increases your chance less than double shoot from the Nightseeker line. The Nightseeker line also gives you a HUGE damage boost. For 7 points in Nightseeker you get a 40% dmg boost and 40% increase in your bind chance. Thats just insane. Also Leg Bind into double mulithit skill (forgot name) is just such sick damage its crazy.
I see the advantage out of that but I'd just like to say I got a lot of utility out of subclass arcanist as well. I felt a lot more free to spread skill points around with my sniper because Anything I wanted on my arcanist I wanted maxed. And so I also had my sniper dip into things like healing while walking, damage reduction from the environment, protection for the row from binds and status effects, and charm eye.

scy

20%. The second use of the skill will deal 50% Damage.

Volcynika

Atlus USA posted another QR code on their twitter. "Cramped Nest Hunt" quest.

IT NEVER STOPS :p

I'll update tonight still, like I said earlier.

Boogiepop

Maybe I was skimming a bit too much or something, but... where do I go after reaching the third floor of the third stratum's maze? I must have not been paying enough attention, because I figured they were heading for
the frozen cave in the NE, with the place for fire
, but there's still nothing there. So yeah, I'm a little lost.

Anteo

Maybe I was skimming a bit too much or something, but... where do I go after reaching the third floor of the third stratum's maze? I must have not been paying enough attention, because I figured they were heading for
the frozen cave in the NE, with the place for fire
, but there's still nothing there. So yeah, I'm a little lost.

I guess you are talking about the rooms in A5 / A6? There is a path that goes south from there. And you should eventually get to F7. If you get there, you are on your way to the boss.

scy

Those Vessels are just telling you about a dungeon to visit. That entrance to the third floor is not the right one. There's another set of stairs on the second floor for you at
B7 (3,4); requires you to have lowered the temperature on the second floor first, though.

Boogiepop

I guess you are talking about the rooms in A5 / A6? There is a path that goes south from there. And you should eventually get to F7. If you get there, you are on your way to the boss.

? I mean when I entered the vessels there said it was a dead end for now and they were heading off somewhere, or something to that effect. And for now there's nothing I can do on that floor.

Edit: Ah, thanks. I understand now.

Anteo

? I mean when I entered the vessels there said it was a dead end for now and they were heading off somewhere, or something to that effect. And for now there's nothing I can do on that floor.

I totally forgot about that, yeah what scy said is what happens.

That reminds me, I never got to see those Vessels again.

Ala Alba

So, I just unlocked subclassing, and I'm looking for a bit of advice. So far, I have:

Nightseeker/Arcanist (for Effect Boost/TP Return)
Landskecht/Runemaster (for the Element Boost skills)
Arcanist/Medic (for Revive/Auto-Revive/TP Boost)
Fortress/Landskecht (For Swordbreaker/Iron Wall/Power and Mind Break)

and Runemaster/???

I'm not sure what would make a good sub for my Runemaster at this point in the game. Any ideas?

vall03

I can't believe I almost got stuck because of an inaccurate map. Thankfully, I quickly noticed what was missing, and found the area I need to go to which I closed off as a wall.

slayn

can someone remind where this optional boss is located:
Sand Leviathan
. I've been staring at my maps trying to remember to re-fight it and can't for the life of me remember where I fought this thing.

vall03

Sand Leviathan
. I've been staring at my maps trying to remember to re-fight it and can't for the life of me remember where I fought this thing.

Its at
Lush Woodlands B3F, behind the Berserker King.

ohlawd

Sand Leviathan
just north of the Berseker King in B3F Lush Woodlands.

Boogiepop

So I beat the third maze (got it on the first try after doing the puzzle)! However, I have one lingering quest I never found the solution to. How do you do the "Bring me an Ice Stone" one? I have no idea what to do to finish it, and I don't want to just leave it sitting around.

I got a quest to find a ring in the lush woodlands. The reward was a spell, Ice Coffin or something. I finished the quest, but I don't see the spell scroll anywhere. Do I teach it to someone? Where is it at?

Sorry. I'm an EO Rookie, this is my first one!

Anteo

So I beat the third maze (got it on the first try after doing the puzzle)! However, I have one lingering quest I never found the solution to. How do you do the "Bring me an Ice Stone" one? I have no idea what to do to finish it, and I don't want to just leave it sitting around.

Go to the center of the map, then face the south and walk until you hit the ice wall, you should be able to get ice from a event that happens there.

Edit:

I got a quest to find a ring in the lush woodlands. The reward was a spell, Ice Coffin or something. I finished the quest, but I don't see the spell scroll anywhere. Do I teach it to someone? Where is it at?

That is a burst skill. Go to Custom > Burst. There you can asing it.
Burst skills work different than regular skills. You don't teach them, you have a bar at the right side that fills as you fight, once you have enough bars you can unleash one burst skill.

scy

To expand on Anteo's response:
First Floor, C3 (1,3)

ohlawd

menu -> custom > burst

basically as a battle goes on, your burst gauge will fill up to a max of 5 due to you attacking, defending, whatever. Anyone can use a Burst but to varying degrees.

menu -> custom > burst

basically as a battle goes on, your burst gauge will fill up to a max of 5 due to you attacking, defending, whatever. Anyone can use a Burst but to varying degrees.

Burst skills work different than regular skills. You don't teach them, you have a bar at the right side that fills as you fight, once you have enough bars you can unleash one burst skill.

No wonder I couldn't find it. Good to know for the future. Thanks!

Will there be a point where I can eventually reallocate skill points? I feel like some of the points I put into Ice Knife would be better used elsewhere. :(

Boogiepop

Go to the center of the map, then face the south and walk until you hit the ice wall, you should be able to get ice from a event that happens there.

Edit:

To expand on Anteo's response:
First Floor, C3 (1,3)

Thanks guys!

ohlawd

Will there be a point where I can eventually reallocate skill points? I feel like some of the points I put into Ice Knife would be better used elsewhere. :(
Explorer's Guild > Rest a character

at a cost of 2 levels (2 skill points), you can then reallocate your skill points. So like if you were lvl 10 and you had 12 skill points, resting makes you lvl 8 with 10 skill points but you're free to redistribute all those points out.

Anteo

compared to EO 1,2 and 3, is EO4 harder or easier??

I'd say Better balanced than 3, not as hard as 1 or 2 but still hard. (Still you should get a better answer from someone that has played all of them to the end, it is better balanced than 3 for sure.)

Yes, you can reallocate from the very begining of the game! (Yes, you can do it right now)
BUT you will pay 2 levels to do so.

Go to the Guild, select Organize > Rest. That will reset your sp's. But as I said, your character will be 2 levels lower.

I saw that the price on this dropped back down to $40 on Amazon, so I ordered a copy. It should be here next week, I'm pretty excited! I haven't decided if I want to carry over my demo save or start fresh with a new team.

scy

compared to EO 1,2 and 3, is EO4 harder or easier??

Easier. By a fair amount. But, much of it is through better design for the classes and skills. The encounter design is better and many fights have more to them than EO1/EO2 did.

ohlawd

You can't run though. Damn you can't run.
what the heck is the mechanic to running? Because it is utter bs.

so I was rushing through Lush Woodlands with my endgame team and I encountered a weaksauce mob. I'm like "nah I'll run away" and I did just that. My 1st turn was wasted because none of my 5 members could run away.

slayn

I fully completed the monster/item compendium and got nothing for it =\
It just showed me the credits again

Riou

I'm having a hard time deciding if i should subclass my sniper with nightseeker or arcanist. I read this post and sorta don't understand which of the nightseeker skill gives a 40% increase in bind chance. I might have missed it because i'm using the EO4 skill builder by Zaraf and the descriptions for the skills aren't the best haha.

slayn

I'm having a hard time deciding if i should subclass my sniper with nightseeker or arcanist. I read this post and sorta don't understand which of the nightseeker skill gives a 40% increase in bind chance. I might have missed it because i'm using the EO4 skill builder by Zaraf and the descriptions for the skills aren't the best haha.
In the builder its the one called shadow skills. A 40% chance to trigger the same skill a 2nd time for free. That said, its not really a 40% increase in bind chance. Say after all math you have a 60% chance of landing a bind. Shadow skills triggering a 2nd hit would make the overall chance of getting a bind more like 70%

JoeFu

Banned
I have no idea if I suck at this or something, but what level should I be on? I just got the thing to make my ship fly higher and all my duders are around level 22. Still really enjoying the game though.

Top Bottom