• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Riou

In the builder its the one called shadow skills. A 40% chance to trigger the same skill a 2nd time for free. That said, its not really a 40% increase in bind chance. Say after all math you have a 60% chance of landing a bind. Shadow skills triggering a 2nd hit would make the overall chance of getting a bind more like 70%

Ah ok, after looking closer at the builder i assumed that was what he was talking about. I think i'm gonna go with the arcanist subclass because it offers more utility. Thanks for clearing it up

spiritfox

what the heck is the mechanic to running? Because it is utter bs.

so I was rushing through Lush Woodlands with my endgame team and I encountered a weaksauce mob. I'm like "nah I'll run away" and I did just that. My 1st turn was wasted because none of my 5 members could run away.

It looks like they drastically reduced the run chance, maybe because of Full Retreat, but man it is BS when your high-lvl party can't run from some grasshoppers.

In B3 of the Lush Woodlands, there's a gold chest that needs a key.

Any of you happen to know where the key is? I'm pretty sure I've scoured the entire Lush Woodlands and haven't found it.

Anteo

In B3 of the Lush Woodlands, there's a gold chest that needs a key.

Any of you happen to know where the key is? I'm pretty sure I've scoured the entire Lush Woodlands and haven't found it.

Hahahaha yeah, I'm beyond the 4th land. No key for me yet! :lol

I have no idea if I suck at this or something, but what level should I be on? I just got the thing to make my ship fly higher and all my duders are around level 22. Still really enjoying the game though.

You are fine. I got that upgrade around that level too.

vall03

Just beat the final boss with little to no problems but Im kinda disappointed since I couldn't deal any damage higher than 5.5k :( Oh well, will try it next time. Now Im ready for the post-game bosses!

Anyway, which dragon would be the easiest between the three?

ohlawd

you won't see that key for a looooong time

dammit I should have made a note of where the gold chests are

aaaaarrrrrghhhhh...

Just beat the final boss with little to no problems but Im kinda disappointed since I couldn't deal any damage higher than 5.5k :( Oh well, will try it next time. Now Im ready for the post-game bosses!

Anyway, which dragon would be the easiest between the three?

I went fire > ice > lightning

Lightning is a piece of shit, at least for me it was. What an asshole.

Thoraxes

I was a fool for expecting to be able to walk around in the second boss' room before fighting it. I only glanced over the text beforehand.

I figured it did on the first so i'd be lucky again ;_;

There goes 4 levels...

zashga

<-- New avatar! Hopefully no one was already using him.

Haven't been able to play as much the last couple days, so I'm still languishing at the beginning of the fourth stratum. Really looking forward to unlocking that last class...

scy

There's one per main dungeon. It's pretty hard to miss when
the 5th Labyrinth sends you back through all of them anyway. They're even all on the 3rd Floors of their respective areas and fairly close to the boss room

I'm thinking of buying this game in the very near future, but have heard it's very hard. I recently beat Fire Emblem on Classic mode, and thought that was just a BIT too difficult, but that was mostly due to the game not explaining certain mechanics very well.

That being said, would I enjoy the game? Is casual mode too dumbed down to feel like your actually accomplishing something? Is the game about as hard as Fire Emblem, or is it easier/harder?

I haven't played the demo yet, but would it be a good indication of whether or not I'd like the game?

Sorry for the loaded post.

ohlawd

the 5th Labyrinth sends you back through all of them anyway. They're even all on the 3rd Floors of their respective areas and fairly close to the boss room
lol I still missed them somehow. I only remember the one in Golden Lair because I've.... opened it already >_<

I'm thinking of buying this game in the very near future, but have heard it's very hard. I recently beat Fire Emblem on Classic mode, and thought that was just a BIT too difficult, but that was mostly due to the game not explaining certain mechanics very well.

That being said, would I enjoy the game? Is casual mode too dumbed down to feel like your actually accomplishing something? Is the game about as hard as Fire Emblem, or is it easier/harder?

I haven't played the demo yet, but would it be a good indication of whether or not I'd like the game?

this is my first EO and the demo sold me on it. After finishing the retail game I have come to one conclusion; EOIV has one of the best demos I've played. I got everything I wanted from the demo and more. I think it's perfect in that if you like the demo, you'll love the full game and if you don't, you have no soul. Well no I'm kidding on the last part.

I played on normal and I found the diffculty fair. If I got wiped out, most of the time it's due to me making some bad mistakes or something like that. The game does a pretty good job of showing what monsters are outta your league but that doesn't mean you can coast through the lesser monsters.

vall03

I can't remember if this has been asked and answered already, but do debuffs stack? i.e. Imperial Hawkeye + Arcanist Atrophic Eye

jineha

Neo Member
This is my first post.
From JPN, I'm very happy many people enjoy this great game.
EO still remainds niche in JPN too, selling about 130K compies, but have many faithful fans.
Rcecntly, Nintendo seems pushing Atlus. FEXSMT, localized EO4 in EU.
Thanks their support to Atlus, but I slightly disappointed NOA didn't translate IwataAsks.
It was very interesting. I impressed at how developers love RPG.
Here is the link to JP version. Translateing is beyond my English.
Hope someone good at Japanese will help.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/interview/creators/vol18/index.html

BTW, almost QRcodes was NOT free in JPN. We should buy famitsu(game info magazine) to get them.
I didn't want to pay 500 yen for QRcodes, very expensive DLC!! I jealous you.

Y'know, I got a key recently after starting the 5th stratum, is that the one? I haven't even tried to open the chests.

This is my first post.
EO still remainds niche in JPN too, selling about 130K compies, but have many faithful fans.
Thanks their support to Atlus, but I slightly disappointed NOA didn't translate IwataAsks.

Thanks for sharing that!

BTW, almost QRcodes was NOT free in JPN. We should buy famitsu(game info magazine) to get them.

You don't have sites where you can share them with each other?

Sleepy

Got the game yesterday! and got excited to find a shiny Cutter in the Lush Woodlands, which I thought would be great to farm XP--wiped out my whole party in a few turns... I love this game.

This is my first post.

Great first post. Thanks for the interview.

vall03

Fuck! I paid the price for my hesitation on not using a Burst Skill when fighting the Fire Dragon. And the RNG gods have been blessing me since my Dancer has been landing a stun every turn and my Arcanist dealing different status effects from time to time. *sigh* Looks like I need to prepare more...

Anteo

This is my first post.

The Iwata asks was translated here http://red-shoulders.blogspot.com/2013/02/rpgs-old-and-new-atlus-interview-with.html, it is not official but is better than nothing. It was a great read though!

How does this game rank among the series? I'm not exactly an expert...

Form my limited undestantment this is the most balanced, new player friendly EO, but is still hard in the sense that a mistake or two and you'll get a game over (I should know, I've been wiped more times than I remember). Is not as hard and unforgiving as I and II (which also means many will rank this one below the first 2)

slayn

needs to show more effort.

aaaaarrrrrghhhhh...

I went fire > ice > lightning

Lightning is a piece of shit, at least for me it was. What an asshole.

Gold Chests:
Lush Woodlands B3F, E2 - Hamao II
Misty Ravine B3f, D4 - Stone Hammer
Golden Lair B3F, C5 - Formaldehyde
Echoing Library B3F, E6 - Death Magatama
I make good maps.

jineha

Neo Member
You don't have sites where you can share them with each other?

At first, we gathered them at wiki. But an argument occured, scanning magazines isn't good.
So we deleted them from JP wiki. Maybe there are some sites, I don't know.

I'll try to translate the most charming point in the interview, a little inshort.

Komori(producer):At last, we want to ask you one thing. OK?
Iwata:Sure, off course.
K:We are very surprised at this interview. We wonder why you call us. When on earth does EO become such a "Big" title?
I:Ah,,,this time, Iwata asked. Well, I'm feeling the audience of this title has huge amount of heat. Very faithful fans. This is a very unique game. "How this game was born?" "What kind of people are making it?" "Concept design has never changed, why?" I want to know that.
K:Hmmm
I:This time, we spoke to both of you, I can understand the secret of this title. First of all, there are some original experience of the staff, enjoying RPG as a user when young. Then you light on the good old days of RPG which we missed. It is undeniably charming throughout the ages. So EO can attract people of a new generation. I'm very excited "IV" into the world. Thank you very much for coming.

vall03

Well, I finally beat the damn thing! While luck is somewhat of a factor including help from the RNG gods, this was way more easier than the previous Dragon fights from earlier games thanks to status effects, binds and Burst Skill system. I kinda cheated though since I used a Lvl99 character I got from a QR code. Oh well, at least the level cap is now 80. Time for the next Dragon!

Anteo

I just discovered that my Landsknecht can equip 2 swords and a shield.... Well, more defense for me!

At first, we gathered them at wiki. But an argument occured, scanning magazines isn't good.
So we deleted them from JP wiki. Maybe there are some sites, I don't know.

I'll try to translate the most charming point in the interview, a little inshort.

Komori(producer):At last, we want to ask you one thing. OK?
Iwata:Sure, off course.
K:We are very surprised at this interview. We wonder why you call us. When on earth does EO become such a "Big" title?
I:Ah,,,this time, Iwata asked. Well, I'm feeling the audience of this title has huge amount of heat. Very faithful fans. This is a very unique game. "How this game was born?" "What kind of people are making it?" "Concept design has never changed, why?" I want to know that.
K:Hmmm
I:This time, we spoke to both of you, I can understand the secret of this title. First of all, there are some original experience of the staff, enjoying RPG as a user when young. Then you light on the good old days of RPG which we missed. It is undeniably charming throughout the ages. So EO can attract people of a new generation. I'm very excited "IV" into the world. Thank you very much for coming.

Figured as much. We can't post scans either, even if it's from a magazine that is not sold on the west (like famitsu)

Sleepy

Ha. That is awesome. This game reminds me a bit of Demon's Souls--light on story, but what is there is interesting; and hardcore mechanics. On paper the game does not sound that great, but it is an absolute blast to play.

jineha

Neo Member
Reading this thread reminds me last summer, EO4 launch. I restart it and in the 5th now.
Last time, I used NS as a main attacker. Auto spread and poison, shadow bites.
This time, chasing party and try no-medic even in a subclass. This game is raelly amazing, huge amount of patterns we can choice.
Ah, I REALLY want DLC as postgame contents like FE:A.

Reading this thread reminds me last summer, EO4 launch. I restart it and in the 5th now.
This time, chasing party and try no-medic even in a subclass. This game is raelly amazing, huge amount of patterns we can choice.

Chasing is so much fun, so many hits in a row.

vall03

Thank the RNG gods! My Dancer stun-locking the Dragons is practically giving me a free turn! The Lightning Dragon this time, stood little to no chance with proper timing of Aegis Guard/Ward and Superspeed. Now Im confident with beating the Ice Dragon.

Also, Im thinking of dropping my Landsknecht, requires too much set-up for my tastes compared to having two Imperials. Might experiment with different combinations next time though.

spiritfox

I would love DLC dungeons and quests too. Might be a bit too much work to create a entirely new tileset though, so I don't mind if it just took from the existing ones, and create some crazy puzzle dungeons.

scy

Just a note on Casual Mode, you take half (60%?) damage across the board. It's not indicated anywhere in the Casual difficulty tooltip but it's a drastically easier experience.

The demo is a great indicator of the game so I'd just give that a shot. I wouldn't worry about the difficulty, honestly. It gets overstated a lot. The biggest part of how hard the game is will be the very beginning of the game when you have limited options. There's a clear growth in character power as you get more and more skills and have more available to you.

I can't remember if this has been asked and answered already, but do debuffs stack? i.e. Imperial Hawkeye + Arcanist Atrophic Eye

They stack with some stacking penalties; -0.05 off each subsequent one, down to a 1.01 multiplier if you manage to stack enough buffs.

How does this game rank among the series? I'm not exactly an expert...

Personally, I've always liked each iteration more than the last. EO4 does a lot right with classes in terms of their skill design (Nightseeker may be one of their best designed classes yet) and general progression. The game is a bit easier than previous iterations but it's more a side effect of having better classes as opposed to the game itself being that much easier.

Also, Im thinking of dropping my Landsknecht, requires too much set-up for my tastes compared to having two Imperials. Might experiment with different combinations next time though.

Most everything has some setup. Imperial would still want to do Hawkeye + whatever boosts from their sub (e.g., Rage + Charge if /Bushi, Runic Gleam if /Runemaster), for instance.

But, yeah, my second playthrough will most likely be some non-Landsknecht party. Maybe drop a person altogether and see what I can do with a four-man run (or just go down to a 3-man one? Hm).

slayn

Most everything has some setup. Imperial would still want to do Hawkeye + whatever boosts from their sub (e.g., Rage + Charge if /Bushi, Runic Gleam if /Runemaster), for instance.
It is really nice though that in normal battles or if a boss removes your buffs that the imperial has the option to just get a big hit in on turn 1 instead of building up to a really big hit.

There were a couple of fights where I went vanguard->improved link-> all buffs removed -> well, shit

scy

It is really nice though that in normal battles or if a boss removes your buffs that the imperial has the option to just get a big hit in on turn 1 instead of building up to a really big hit.

There were a couple of fights where I went vanguard->improved link-> all buffs removed -> well, shit

That's true. Was just saying that basically all classes have some setup time to be optimal.

Though, to be fair, the difference between unbuffed Landsknecht and buffed Landsknecht is quite huge. It's a completely different situation between them and most other classes.

slayn

I probably just transcribed it wrong? Which is wrong so I can update my post for others that read it?

jineha

Neo Member
Land needs setup, NS should wait for bad status, Imperial overheats after the drive. Bushi's skills cost their HP.
This is the chice which makes this game great.

ohlawd

I probably just transcribed it wrong? Which is wrong so I can update my post for others that read it?

oh I didn't mean it like that.

meant to say it sarcastically since that sentence kinda implied I don't make good maps.... which I really don't >_>

the information is all correct btw.

scy

Land needs setup, NS should wait for bad status, Imperial overheats after the drive. Bushi's skills cost their HP.
This is the chice which makes this game great.

It's the fact that we have these choices that really shows the changes in the design of the games. They've really come a long way, honestly.

Of course, there's still some oversights here and there (Damage Boosting Passives >> Non-Damage Boosting Passives when it comes to picking base classes for min/maxing) but there's really some great design work at making multiple paths for basically every option.

Is there a detriment to retiring "too much"?

Like if I take a 30, retire 'em, bring 'em to 30 and retire 'em again, is there less returns if I do another at 60 or 70 down the road? Or do the bonuses compound in this fashion and there's really no point in NOT doing it outside of the grind/catch up time?

scy

Well, there's no point in that second Level 30 Retire. The Retirement bonuses do not stack, you get whichever is appropriate for the Level you retired at. For instance:

If you Retire at 50, you get +6 Skill Points, +3 All Stats.
If you then Retire at 30, you get +4 Skill Points, +1 All Stats; the prior bonus is lost.
If you then Retire at 99, you get +10 Skill Points, +10 All Stats; the prior bonus is lost.
If you then Retire at 30, you get +4 Skill Points, +1 All Stats; the prior bonus is lost.

Edit: And I guess to be complete, here's the bonuses breakdown:

Code:
Level 30~39: +4 Skill Points, +1 All Stats
Level 40~49: +5 Skill Points, +2 All Stats
Level 50~59: +6 Skill Points, +3 All Stats
Level 60~69: +7 Skill Points, +4 All Stats
Level 70~98: +8 Skill Points, +5 All Stats
Level 99~99: +10 Skill Points, +10 All Stats

Level of the Recruit will be [Level Retired / 2], rounded down, and capped to 30. That is, a Level 62~99 Retire will yield you a Level 30 Recruit, not a Level 31~49 one.

I tried out the demo for the game, and knowing that past games have a rep for being difficult (possibly boring me or frustrating me), I decided to use Casual mode for it.

I do not regret this decision.

The game is strangely calming when you know that you're able to handle things well, and you still need to be sort of careful anyway, especially around F.O.Es in the game.

I think my team is at around Level 6 or 7 or something. I must say, I like the pacing in the game.

(I wonder how I'll fare in Normal? I don't want to explore that until if I restart for whatever reason, way after finishing the game.)

Sleepy

Well, there's no point in that second Level 30 Retire. The Retirement bonuses do not stack, you get whichever is appropriate for the Level you retired at.

Sorry for the follow up question: So I should only retire a character once?

I finally made it down to BF3 in the Lush Woodlands! (I am sooooo far behind you guys, but I am loving the exploration--the need to find out what is behind the next corridor/door/FOE.) The best game on the 3DS, IMO. Oh, and when can I start to use the QR quests?

Anteo

Sorry for the follow up question: So I should only retire a character once?

I finally made it down to BF3 in the Lush Woodlands! (I am sooooo far behind you guys, but I am loving the exploration--the need to find out what is behind the next corridor/door/FOE.) The best game on the 3DS, IMO. Oh, and when can I start to use the QR quests?

1) Depends on how you plan to get your levels back. In this game there are many ways to get experience fast, so retiring all your party should not be a problem. Also I do not recommend to retire before the post game because you will have to grind a bit to get back to your original level (but that's just me, I know other gaffers have retired early)
- I think I misundesrtood your question, I was thinking if you should only retire a character per time.
Now about your actuall question, you can do it more than one time, and it may help to retire at 60-70 for the post game content, but remember that you get better stats retiring at 99. (Asumming you want to max out your characters)

2)About the QR Quest, you can do it whenever you want, is just that some quest are locked in areas that may be out of your reach now, so those quest won't load for you (you'll get an error message)

Scy is the EO god
+1

Edit:

I tried out the demo for the game, and knowing that past games have a rep for being difficult (possibly boring me or frustrating me), I decided to use Casual mode for it.

I do not regret this decision.

The game is strangely calming when you know that you're able to handle things well, and you still need to be sort of careful anyway, especially around F.O.Es in the game.

I think my team is at around Level 6 or 7 or something. I must say, I like the pacing in the game.

(I wonder how I'll fare in Normal? I don't want to explore that until if I restart for whatever reason, way after finishing the game.)

Well since you can toggle the Casual/Normal thing at any time in the game, there is no reason not to try! Give it a go (you can only do it while you are on the city though, and Idk if its doable on the demo)

Sleepy

1) Depends on how you plan to get your levels back. In this game there are many ways to get experience fast, so retiring all your party should not be a problem. Also I do not recommend to retire before the post game because you will have to grind a bit to get back to your original level (but that's just me, I know other gaffers have retired early)

2)About the QR Quest, you can do it whenever you want, is just that some quest are locked in areas that may be out of your reach now, so those quest won't load for you (you'll get an error message)

Thanks--I am a long way from retiring, but it is good to know the options.

I must not be anywhere yet, as none of the codes work for me. :)

Top Bottom