• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

balddemon

Banned
missing persons quest, in the 2nd land. I feel like I know where the missing person is (on the island in the middle of that dangerous FOE in the NW corner), but I have no clue how to get to the island. any ideas?

Anteo

missing persons quest, in the 2nd land. I feel like I know where the missing person is (on the island in the middle of that dangerous FOE in the NW corner), but I have no clue how to get to the island. any ideas?

Feed it pizza.
I think fish was it's favorite food? Or maybe birds.

balddemon

Banned
Feed it pizza.
I think fish was it's favorite food? Or maybe birds.

oh. I just assumed that because I couldn't find any info about it online that it didn't have a fav food. I'll look into that. thanks.
speaking of, the wiki needs to have favorite food of each FOE. that would be handy. a monster list would also be nice.

scy, get to work!

lingiii

Banned
Wait, feeding foes foods makes them easier to kill?

you can force them to become shiny/rare for bonus EXP by feeding them gold food of the type they like from their land (as long as it isn't poisonous, or another FOE)

also, as noted above you can give yourself a preemptive attack by moving into them from behind while they're eating.

tuffy

you can force them to become shiny/rare for bonus EXP by feeding them gold food of the type they like from their land (as long as it isn't poisonous, or another FOE)

also, as noted above you can give yourself a preemptive attack by moving into them from behind while they're eating.
But also keep in mind that shiny FOEs have a big speed boost and are almost certain to move first, which renders skills like Fortress guards useless. So although it's easy to maneuver around for a first strike while it's eating, the fight's likely to be harder than usual after that.

scy

If by Favorite food you mean what turns them Shiny, it seems to be one of four foods: Golden Good, Gold Stinkhorn, Happiness Hare, and Dragon Carp.

If you just mean whatever they're lured by, it's usually whatever food they're around. There's a few limited set spawns like that.

balddemon

Banned
what should I forge my weapons with? only 2 slots so it probably doesn't make that big of a difference. it's for my landsknecht. I'm thinkin str, atk, or hit. only thing is, while I know the stat boosts apply all the time, I don't know if the red forging options apply for skills too. any clarification?

edit: lol, after posting, I found a topic where our very own scy made an appearance: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997793-etrian-odyssey-iv-legends-of-the-titan/65607369

ATK* for raw damage on people who use skills; +Stat forges aren't worth it. Dancer would either want the Elemental Forges (e.g., Fire/Ice/Volt, not ELM) or Status/Binds since those work with regular attacks.

*Someone mentioned in another thread that Elemental Forges work with Links again so, if that's the case, those would be the ideal Forge for a Link Landsknecht, not ATK or ELM. I haven't looked into it yet.

in regards to runemaster:

ELM. I probably should've mentioned that one :x

Er, not quite. It's at
A1 (5,4) during the day time
. You can do it as soon as you get the quest, though the FoE there makes it dicey so be prepared to lure it away (or just kill it, I guess).

So I'm clear, you mean A-1, as in the northwest corner of the map, right?

I can't get there. :(

Anteo

So I'm clear, you mean A-1, as in the northwest corner of the map, right?

I can't get there. :(

You can get there, Go to A2 and fly towards the west. There are like 6 squares from A1 that you can check from there before hitting a wall, one of those is your target.

You can get there, Go to A2 and fly towards the west. There are like 6 squares from A1 that you can check from there before hitting a wall, one of those is your target.

Oh my god.

I just realized I was checking this spot repeatedly but it was at night. I keep forgetting about day night cycles, but I was playing last at 5:00 AM, so maybe I was just tired.

I could have sworn it was daytime, though...

Oh well. Thanks for the help!

Ok so I am in the second zone, and found the next labyrinthe and cleared the miasma forest. Some NPCS are referencing another location, which I'm pretty sure is being guarded by a FOE. The FOE isn't responding to any food I throw so I can't get to the new area. The FOE is some purple fat reptilian thing. Anyone know what I am referencing and know how to get past it?

scy

Ok so I am in the second zone, and found the next labyrinthe and cleared the miasma forest. Some NPCS are referencing another location, which I'm pretty sure is being guarded by a FOE. The FOE isn't responding to any food I throw so I can't get to the new area. The FOE is some purple fat reptilian thing. Anyone know what I am referencing and know how to get past it?

His favorite food are the Dream Eaters. Lure one of them towards him.

balddemon

Banned

feed the dream eaters. there was a cutscene at the beginning when you first entered the land.

ok. so 2 things just happened that made me love this game even more.
1. the crayfish (crawfish?) troll in the stupid frog jungle.
2. my runemaster did 1100+ dmg in 1 turn using ice coffin and then storm on a shiny frog. add that to the time I did 999 dmg with ice coffin...damn that spell is OP. too bad I invested in fire and lightning, otherwise I could use ice rune and double my damage lmao.

Anteo

Yep, the very first time you get into that area, the purple thing eats a dream eater and the game warns you.

feed the dream eaters. there was a cutscene at the beginning when you first entered the land.

ok. so 2 things just happened that made me love this game even more.
1. the crayfish (crawfish?) troll in the stupid frog jungle.
2. my runemaster did 1100+ dmg in 1 turn using ice coffin and then storm on a shiny frog. add that to the time I did 999 dmg with ice coffin...damn that spell is OP. too bad I invested in fire and lightning, otherwise I could use ice rune and double my damage lmao.

Hahaha right I have to go back for that thing. I just left after the 3rd try

His favorite food are the Dream Eaters. Lure one of them towards him.

Ah. Well the dream eaters don't follow me, so I guess I need to just get lucky and there have to be enough vegetables on the field to lure them close enough to the guy?

Yep, the very first time you get into that area, the purple thing eats a dream eater and the game warns you.

Yeah I really didn't pay close attention to the cutscene. I'm so used to them being unimportant.

balddemon

Banned
Hahaha right I have to go back for that thing. I just left after the 3rd try

20 HP a try is no joke haha. took me I think 5 or so, not sure. but I got that damn thing in the end!

disregard

also, would the two iron wall skills stack? is one less effective than the other because they're stacked?

BearChair

20 HP a try is no joke haha. took me I think 5 or so, not sure. but I got that damn thing in the end!

so here's an idea for you guys to mull upon: I was looking at the landshark's skills, and one of them is a blocking one. what if you were to sub landshark on fortress, and then use party shield with that blocking skill? would it block some damage? or say with swordbreaker, would it block some damage to you or is that only when your allies are getting attacked?

also, would the two iron wall skills stack? is one less effective than the other because they're stacked?

Fortress has its own ability to nullify damage in the last tier. I went Fortress/Dancer and maxed the Dancers two passive evasion skills. With Party Shield, it means at least one if four attack miss, if not more. Also Dancer has counter. When combined it means a character with basically infinite TP who is constantly doing a little damage.

Anteo

so here's an idea for you guys to mull upon: I was looking at the landshark's skills, and one of them is a blocking one. what if you were to sub landshark on fortress, and then use party shield with that blocking skill? would it block some damage? or say with swordbreaker, would it block some damage to you or is that only when your allies are getting attacked?

1)For the first question, I believe is a chance to block half the damage to anyone in your line. In that case the shield parry from the fortress is better because she blocks all the damage (based on a chance too). I have both a Landsknecht and a Fortress both with their parry skills, but most of the time when I do a Party Guard I press A to make things go faster and not pay atention to the damage she gets, I'll try experimenting a bit to check if she gets some damage reduction from the Landsknecht when guarding the back row (I'm pretty sure I've heard the Landsknecht parry go of when she does a Party guard...)

2)I belive they stack but you get diminishing returns, as it is around 25% damage reduction at max (10) level.

Hmm, I feel bad for using Full Retreat as one of my burst skills since it feels like a massive crutch, but it has saved my ass so many times.

Is there anything I should subclass my Link Landsnekcht with? I want to increase his speed so I don't have to rely on vanguard as much for regular battles.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Need some post game advice please.

I killed the dragons, mapped and got the canisters for maze 6, but can't kill either the boss in that maze, or the fallen one. Where is a good place to grind at this point? I really think my level is too low since almost every random battle on B3 of maze 6 was wiping me out.

balddemon

Banned
Fortress has its own ability to nullify damage in the last tier. I went Fortress/Dancer and maxed the Dancers two passive evasion skills. With Party Shield, it means at least one if four attack miss, if not more. Also Dancer has counter. When combined it means a character with basically infinite TP who is constantly doing a little damage.

1)For the first question, I believe is a chance to block half the damage to anyone in your line. In that case the shield parry from the fortress is better because she blocks all the damage (based on a chance too). I have both a Landsknecht and a Fortress both with their parry skills, but most of the time when I do a Party Guard I press A to make things go faster and not pay atention to the damage she gets, I'll try experimenting a bit to check if she gets some damage reduction from the Landsknecht when guarding the back row (I'm pretty sure I've heard the Landsknecht parry go of when she does a Party guard...)

2)I belive they stack but you get diminishing returns, as it is around 25% damage reduction at max (10) level.
hmm thanks for the replies. I don't like relying on evasion in any game unless you can get it to 80% ish, but the dancer also has other key dances that would be useful. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

in the meantime, how bad of an idea would it be to rest and respec my runemaster for ice/lit? just hit golden lair, and I have a feeling a lot of the enemies in this land will be resistant to fire...

I killed the dragons, mapped and got the canisters for maze 6, but can't kill either the boss in that maze, or the fallen one. Where is a good place to grind at this point? I really think my level is too low since almost every random battle on B3 of maze 6 was wiping me out.

I'm not in postgame yet, but I'd guess fighting shiny FOEs would be the best option for xp.

I'm liking the idea of an evasion/defense monster tank Fortress. Subclass with Dancer seems like the way to go. That what are the two evasion skills? Fan dance and ?

spiritfox

hmm thanks for the replies. I don't like relying on evasion in any game unless you can get it to 80% ish, but the dancer also has other key dances that would be useful. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

in the meantime, how bad of an idea would it be to rest and respec my runemaster for ice/lit? just hit golden lair, and I have a feeling a lot of the enemies in this land will be resistant to fire...

Get ice for the maze boss, but otherwise, there are enemies that are weak to fire.

I'm liking the idea of an evasion/defense monster tank Fortress. Subclass with Dancer seems like the way to go. That what are the two evasion skills? Fan dance and ?

It's only Fan Dance. Remember not to take Speed Boost because (1) it glitches with Fan Dance, and (2) it does not actually give evasion.

Anteo

Post game things ahead!!

So I just beat the dragons. And guess what? That new dragon doomed my party in one turn. I survived a little more but still what the hell!

vall03

Post game things ahead!!

So I just beat the dragons. And guess what? That new dragon doomed my party in one turn. I survived a little more but still what the hell!

Welcome to postgame! I still haven't even beaten that thing yet. Theres still the 6th dungeon boss that can do the same lol

Anteo

Welcome to postgame! I still haven't even beaten that thing yet. Theres still the 6th dungeon boss that can do the same lol

I remember the Dragons from 3 being harder, and the white dragon was even harder but expected with all the other bosses around that were also hard. But this one is such a huge dificulty spike compared to the dragons. I need to figure out what to do.

scy

My personal preference is to
grind the dragons for materials. Plus, it's nearly 1 Million EXP per clear with Holy Gift use

Post game things ahead!!

If all else fails, you can
bank on Instant Death and Petrify since he doesn't resist it
!

Respecced to take advantage of subclassing; some of my characters that were gasping for TP early on were wallowing in it with nothing to do half the time, and others the reverse, so I fixed that by making them de/buffers or going for "broken in every game it's ever been in" linkage.

Woo! Beat the Lush Woodlands boss without any casualties on my second try. :)

Ever onward and forward! Once more into the breach!

I'd rather not get frustrated with an unexpected Game Over, to be honest. Then again, I barely have a lot of time to play this game.

I'm the same way in Normal.

Anteo

My personal preference is to
grind the dragons for materials. Plus, it's nearly 1 Million EXP per clear with Holy Gift use

If all else fails, you can
bank on Instant Death and Petrify since he doesn't resist it
!

Well time to register a level 1 char and rest for 15 days!

How exactly should I build my Runemaster?

I've specced two elements, but how much do I want to put into +max TP, and the rune (+resist for team, -resist for enemy)? I've maxed the +TP skill, but only put 1 point into the initial runes so I could get the attack skills.

How good is free energy (% chance to cast for free). And should I even put a point into Proficiency? I don't really have another elemental attacker in the back row so...

scy

I've specced two elements, but how much do I want to put into +max TP, and the rune (+resist for team, -resist for enemy)? I've maxed the +TP skill, but only put 1 point into the initial runes so I could get the attack skills.

How good is free energy (% chance to cast for free). And should I even put a point into Proficiency? I don't really have another elemental attacker in the back row so...

For up to 25. Unless you need for up to 40, I guess.

@Free Energy - 3 points is ~20% Activation rate and that's worthwhile to get early on if you desperately need it (1 point is only 10%). Personally, I didn't find TP _that_ limiting this time around.

@Proficiency - It's also defensive.

Anteo

Scy said that you should try to go for 4 or 8 points on spells (and focus on 2 elements). I however ran through the main game with all 3 elements and 2 points on each spell. Also I did get the passives to increase damage and did fine (specially because I had an answer for every elemental weakness, but I was not doing huge numbers and I think investing on the spells would had been better). Free energy came in handy for the last dugeon to give more time to explore per trip, but it is clearly NOT a 50% chance and probably more like <30%

Edit: And look, Scy answers just before me :lol (maybe I should have refreshed faster)

Edit2:
@Proficiency
Since I have a Fortress and a Landsknecth modifying the damage output of the enemy, I did not invest on that. But it should come in handy if you have a different party setup. And now in the post game I'm scared to use wide party buffs.

For up to 25. Unless you need for up to 40, I guess.

@Free Energy - 3 points is ~20% Activation rate and that's worthwhile to get early on if you desperately need it (1 point is only 10%). Personally, I didn't find TP _that_ limiting this time around.

@Proficiency - It's also defensive.

Thanks.

So is it just not worth maxing out the lower tier spells?

edit: Ok is there some fucking trick to Fire Bulbs? They blow up before I can kill them and wipe my whole team.

balddemon

Banned
I hate golden lair. I hate the 3rd land. it sucks. can't go anywhere without aggroing a FOE, but half the land it seems I can't even access anyways.

what do you guys think about getting the mining/taking/chopping skills that each character has? I think it's worth the 1 point for more mats.

Anteo

Thanks.

So is it just not worth maxing out the lower tier spells?

From my experience today, it seems that the lower tier are more cost efficient, My second tier spells were hitting for 300 less than the last tier (around 900 vs 1200, the cost was 10 more tp from 20 to 30. Both were at level 4 though). That made me readjust my strat by using second tier spells until near the end of the fight and then bring out the big guns to finish fast.

Edit:

Thanks.

edit: Ok is there some fucking trick to Fire Bulbs? They blow up before I can kill them and wipe my whole team.

Kill them faaasstt. Or run. I know I ran a lot from them.

I hate golden lair. I hate the 3rd land. it sucks. can't go anywhere without aggroing a FOE, but half the land it seems I can't even access anyways.

what do you guys think about getting the mining/taking/chopping skills that each character has? I think it's worth the 1 point for more mats.

But but those are turtles, they are super slow!!!
Yeah idk about those, I invested on my secondary party but felt the diference was 1 extra pick most of the time (maybe I'm just unlucky)

Ok fuck the moth pit. It is basically a luck based mission when you get a random battle you can't finish in time.

edit: LIKE TWO FUCKING PETALOIDS AND FUCKING FUCKER FIRE BULB IN THE MOTHER FUCKING BACK ROW.

God damnit every FUCKING TIME.

balddemon

Banned
Ok fuck the moth pit. It is basically a luck based mission when you get a random battle you can't finish in time.

edit: LIKE TWO FUCKING PETALOIDS AND FUCKING FUCKER FIRE BULB IN THE MOTHER FUCKING BACK ROW.

God damnit every FUCKING TIME.

I just ran from everything in that map unless I was more than 1 square away from a moth or I was confident I could kill the monsters in one turn.

I am stuck in the 2nd land. I have no quests or missions available, and I have talked to everyone I can. I started to explore the 2nd labyrinth. Am I just supposed to keep exploring that, and that's where I'll get my next quest? Or did I miss something?

Nothing in the bar, count won't give me anything, nothing from just talking to all the various characters. This is the first time a quest hasn't been available so I'm totally confused.

Anteo

I am stuck in the 2nd land. I have no quests or missions available, and I have talked to everyone I can. I started to explore the 2nd labyrinth. Am I just supposed to keep exploring that, and that's where I'll get my next quest? Or did I miss something?

Nothing in the bar, count won't give me anything, nothing from just talking to all the various characters. This is the first time a quest hasn't been available so I'm totally confused.

Yeah you get new quests everytime you reach a new cave or get to a new floor on the dugeon.

Try to defend the turn it's going to explode, maybe you survive.

By that time the moths join in... and then... and then....

Thankfully I managed to survive and escape, and then get one of the two way passageways unlocked. So when I go in next time I can avoid all that moth bullshit.

Top Bottom