• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

OMG, guys you were so right, and I was wrong. The game is so good. Played the demo until end, leveled my team to LV7. The game is insidious, sinks it's Crazy Baboon claws into you and doesn't let go. I opened my new copy just now I'm ready to really get this adventure going.

I still have problems making money, and developing skills though. And I don't know the best team to get. I think I wanna make an all girl team. If I recruit new members do their job classes start at LVL1 again?

Also, I named my team ShinRa. Yay.

Edit: oh oh, QR codes. QR codes everywhere.

Anteo

OMG, guys you were so right, and I was wrong. The game is so good. Played the demo until end, leveled my team to LV7. The game is insidious, sinks it's Crazy Baboon claws into you and doesn't let go. I opened my new copy just now I'm ready to really get this adventure going.

I still have problems making money, and developing skills though. And I don't know the best team to get. I think I wanna make an all girl team. If I recruit new members do their job classes start at LVL1 again?

Also, I named my team ShinRa. Yay.

Glad you like the game. The main game have upgraded graphics and sound compared to the demo.

Yeah about the money, you can collect things in the overworld, those are sold automatically upon arriving the city. The Inn cost is based on the max level on your party (5*maxLevel) so you can get a new level 1 char and go with that char alone to collect things, then go to the Inn to get to the next day and start over. Also, sell everything on the store unless you need it for a quest.

About the new characters, yes they do start at level 1. At first you don't have many options to level them up, but it will open up. You will unlock some new classes as you play. The game encourages you to try them by giving you a couple of items that instantly level up any char to the average level at that point in the game, so you can try not only the new class but those other clases that you have neglected.

The best team thing.. well it changes as you go through the game, having access to more spells and new classes so the best pre level 20 team would be different from the best post level 40 team imo. Don't focus on that too much, just make sure you make a team that can survive boss battles :)

Remember that you can reset your skill points at the cost of 2 levels on the guild thing.
Oh and explore the overworld, you may find another dugeon around there.

So the only way to inflict Panic is to forge it on a weapon or use an Arcanist?

Yeah I don't think there are other spells that help you with that. But the arcanist have a passive that helps with status effects and I belive it also affects forged status effects.

UberTag

There are plenty more QR codes than just those in the OP.
Check out the usual places (i.e. GameFAQs) where they're all being stockpiled.

I'm down to 7 QR code quests left to complete myself. Believe they're almost all post-game as I'm working my way through the 5th maze right now.

Really need to shake my addiction to this game so I can get into Bioshock Infinite. But I just can't stop...

ohlawd

I did it! Killed the final superboss! Here's my final team.

So, I really liked this game and I feel the need to play the rest of the series. Now to decide whether to play 1 or 3 next. Thanks for all the advice as I advanced through the game guys.

dem terrible names :p

Forging has me confused--are the hammers expendable? Does it cost anything? Should I always be doing this? I've collected a decent variety of them.

nah they aren't. They're there to stay. Forevah.

Forging uses up the same materials used for creating a particular weapon.

So like if BestestSwordEver needs 5 Rat Hides to be made then each forge requires 5 Rat Hides too.

Forging has me confused--are the hammers expendable? Does it cost anything? Should I always be doing this? I've collected a decent variety of them.

Anteo

1) Nope, the hammer will stay there forever. Not expendable.

2) The cost is materials. BUT is not like you may think at first. Everytime you sell items the store saves the quantity and type of that item, and uses it to produce the items and equips that can sell back to you. When you forge the store uses the same materials. So for example if you have a "Bone sword" (Not an actual item) that is made by "Monster Bone x2" (not an actual drop), you will need to sell at least 2 of those to either buy a new sword or forge one that you have.

3)Depends, it gives you a small boost to your party (like +TP for the medic or +ATK for the Nightseeker) with no EN cost.

^Much obliged! It sounds like something I don't need to worry about right now.

Fuck the Berserker King. Should I grind a bit if I'm having trouble? Everyone in my party is level 12, and we could only take him down to half health. I did circle around him, by the way.

spiritfox

^Much obliged! It sounds like something I don't need to worry about right now.

Fuck the Berserker King. Should I grind a bit if I'm having trouble? Everyone in my party is level 12, and we could only take him down to half health. I did circle around him, by the way.

12 is pretty low, the average is around 15. Go do some quests or grind a bit.

Kerrinck

Any tips for the B3F boss of the Lush Wildlands? The game gives a tip on using the terrain to distract the other bears but I have no idea how to do it.

tuffy

Any tips for the B3F boss of the Lush Wildlands? The game gives a tip on using the terrain to distract the other bears but I have no idea how to do it.
There's a blocked passage on the southeast side of the room, not far from the entrance. Having one of the free-roaming bears open it will allow you to reach the boss via a backdoor and keep the other bears from joining the fight.

scy

You get new quests for each floor of the dungeon you get to. There's also usually a quest or two related to each of the mini-dungeons.

If you've done all the quests and are still underleveled, go back and just clear out the FoEs for the EXP/drops.

tuffy

I'm level 31 with my party. Should I retire my party?
The boosts for retiring at 30 are pretty minor, but it doesn't take long to get back to 30 from 15. I just retired characters individually as new classes opened up.
What will happen if I retire a named character,
say Logre for example
? Will he disappear from my selection?
Yes. You'll get an all-new generic recruit and his portrait will be gone.

Post-game is amazing. I've put in 60 hours already and by the time I feel like I'm done with the game I'll probably have hit 70 or 80.
Currently working with (L/R, I/R, D/N) (R/I, A/M) and I'm debating ditching the Landsknecht for something else.
Her links aren't as amazing as they were early on and other classes can deal so much more damage with less setup.

Etrian noob here. Watched a lot of vids and bit on picking this up. How bad is the difficulty curve on the 1st 3 games? I have some amazon credit and am tempted to scoop up the whole series.

Anteo

Etrian noob here. Watched a lot of vids and bit on picking this up. How bad is the difficulty curve on the 1st 3 games? I have some amazon credit and am tempted to scoop up the whole series.

The first part of the game is really hard in earlier EOs.

EOI : First random battle => *Team Dies*
EOII : Holy shit I'm level 1 man be kind to me!
EOIII : Okay some progress, time to go back *A Wild Great Lynx Appears*
EOIV : Oh nice at least we have a tutorial. On to the main dugeon. A Baboon?

Wow. Actual game is tough. I've had the game for two days and I haven't progressed further than I did in the demo. WTF am I doing wrong?

spiritfox

Wow. Actual game is tough. I've had the game for two days and I haven't progressed further than I did in the demo. WTF am I doing wrong?

What are you having trouble with? Remember there always shortcuts to make your backtracking easier. Look for the colorful flowers in the walls.

Anteo

I'm just getting murdered. By everything.

Maybe you activated casual mode by accident on the demo? Casual mode reduces the enemy damage by 50% and allows you to keep your progress if your party is wiped.
You can freely changer the difficulty at the options when you are on Tharsis (Press Y on the menu).

Also remember to buy some Ariadne's Thread (they become avalible when you finish the tutorial dugeon iirc.), those can be used to teleport back to town outside of battle.

Sleepy

Haven't had the time to play in the last few weeks and now I feel like I have hit the wall with it...Saving the Medium sux. By the time I make any progress in the dungeon/floor I am out of TP and pretty fucked up...sigh. I am around level 27. Should I grind a bit? Also, on Howlongto beat.com it states that some people beat the game in 26 hrs????!!! I am over that and still in the second land.

The opening sequence is super-rough in all three DS titles but eases off relatively quickly once you get a decent way into the first stratum. 3 is definitely a bit more forgiving than 1-2 and 4 a good bit more than 3.

The opening sequence is super-rough in all three DS titles but eases off relatively quickly once you get a decent way into the first stratum. 3 is definitely a bit more forgiving than 1-2 and 4 a good bit more than 3.

So with the remake of 1 being announced is it safe to say skip it along with 2 and just pick up 3? Part of my OCD side wants all games along side each other on my shelf but if the series has serious improvement between titles I'm leaning towards just playing 3 and 4 until the remake is eventually released.

spiritfox

Fortress with Taunt is coolsauce. Should last you for a long time.

Hinako best Survivor.

Taunt is good for the first half of the game, but it's effectiveness falls with all the AOE attacks in the later part of the game. But by then you should be able to survive using Party Shield. Auto-Taunt is not worth the points though.

Haven't had the time to play in the last few weeks and now I feel like I have hit the wall with it...Saving the Medium sux. By the time I make any progress in the dungeon/floor I am out of TP and pretty fucked up...sigh. I am around level 27. Should I grind a bit? Also, on Howlongto beat.com it states that some people beat the game in 26 hrs????!!! I am over that and still in the second land.

Have you gotten to 2B3 yet? What's your party like? Try to use lower tier spells or normal attacks if you need the TP. 26hrs is considered a fast time, I think I took around 40+ hours.

So with the remake of 1 being announced is it save to say skip it along with 2 and just pick up 3? Part of my OCD side wants all games along side each other on my shelf but if the series has serious improvement between titles I'm leaning towards just playing 3 and 4 until the remake is eventually released.

Well the remake looks significantly different both story wise and gameplay wise, so it'll not be the same as EO1. Even the strata maps look different, it might as well be a new game if not for the returning NPCs.

Anteo

So what where the differences from going into the dugeon at day/night? The only thing I remember is: (2nd land) at night
monkey/ape that could poison the entire party/row (not sure) in one cave, the one with the frogs

So with the remake of 1 being announced is it save to say skip it along with 2 and just pick up 3? Part of my OCD side wants all games along side each other on my shelf but if the series has serious improvement between titles I'm leaning towards just playing 3 and 4 until the remake is eventually released.

New Etrian Odyssey isn't really a "remake" so much as a "reimagining" of EO1, but one thing that's definitely true about the series is that the UI/UX makes huge leaps and bounds between games. A few minor things aside* I think you can very safely start with EO3.

*Skipping EO2 does means missing out on one of my favorite dungeon visuals/music in a game, ever.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely picking up 3 then depending on where I am after that I will prob just pick up 1 and 2. I didn't realize the "remake" was more a "re-imagining" after reading up on that more I think I will still want the original.

Nert

Hi, Etrian Odyssey GAF! I'm pretty late to this thread, but I picked the game up a couple of days ago and I'm absolutely hooked. With the exception of the terrible character portraits and the relatively forgettable story, I can't think of anything that I dislike about the game so far (just met the Medium in the second major dungeon).

Having to draw the maps myself adds a lot of fun and tension to the process of exploration and every little thing in this game feels satisfying (like opening up new shortcuts). I also like how every class seems to be useful while the game limits you to using only five characters at the time, making it feel like every party selection has comes with meaningful trade-offs. The music is incredibly soothing, too. This is easily the most fun that I've had crawling through dungeons in a long time.

Current setup: Landsknecht, Fortress, Dancer | Sniper, Runemaster. Taunt, Holy Smite, and Regen Waltz keep the tank healthy while everyone else rips enemies to shreds. I have no idea if this setup will become outdated or not as the game progresses, and that's part of the fun!

spiritfox

Hi, Etrian Odyssey GAF! I'm pretty late to this thread, but I picked the game up a couple of days ago and I'm absolutely hooked. With the exception of the terrible character portraits and the relatively forgettable story, I can't think of anything that I dislike about the game so far (just met the Medium in the second major dungeon).

Having to draw the maps myself adds a lot of fun and tension to the process of exploration and every little thing in this game feels satisfying (like opening up new shortcuts). I also like how every class seems to be useful while the game limits you to using only five characters at the time, making it feel like every party selection has comes with meaningful trade-offs. The music is incredibly soothing, too. This is easily the most fun that I've had crawling through dungeons in a long time.

Current setup: Landsknecht, Fortress, Dancer | Sniper, Runemaster. Taunt, Holy Smite, and Regen Waltz keep the tank healthy while everyone else rips enemies to shreds. I have no idea if this setup will become outdated or not as the game progresses, and that's part of the fun!

Wat.
It's not that bad compared to some games, but it's an acquired taste.

Taunt becomes less useful later in the game due to prevalence of AOE attacks, but that's when the shield skills become more useable due to better equipment and defense.

Nert

Wat.
It's not that bad compared to some games, but it's an acquired taste.

Well sure, the degree to which the young girls in this game wear skimpy clothing might not be as bad as some other games that exist, but that doesn't make it good :p

I didn't intend to dwell on that too much, though, because I really do enjoy the game.

Will be jumping into this game soon. Complete EO noob but have played a ton of RPGs over the years. Any character class or party composition advice I should know of prior to creating my squad?

Just looking at the OP I'm thinking:

Fortress
Medic
Runemaster
Bushi or ??? (are they available at the start or is it a promoted class?)
Sniper or Nightseeker

Thanks

Sleepy

Have you gotten to 2B3 yet? What's your party like? Try to use lower tier spells or normal attacks if you need the TP. 26hrs is considered a fast time, I think I took around 40+ hours.

I think so, as I have picked up Wulfan (wrong spelling?). The problem with normal attacks is that then my health gets destroyed, which means I TP heal...sigh. Thanks for the response though.

spiritfox

Will be jumping into this game soon. Complete EO noob but have played a ton of RPGs over the years. Any character class or party composition advice I should know of prior to creating my squad?

Just looking at the OP I'm thinking:

Fortress
Medic
Runemaster
Bushi or ??? (are they available at the start or is it a promoted class?)
Sniper or Nightseeker

Thanks

The Bushi and the ??? classes are unlocked later, but they give you a way to level up fast when you unlock them. You can use a Landsknecht until you unlock them, then retire her for the new classes.

I think so, as I have picked up Wulfan (wrong spelling?). The problem with normal attacks is that then my health gets destroyed, which means I TP heal...sigh. Thanks for the response though.

If you find yourself running through TP healing, you can just use Medicas as backup healing. Also, try to unlock a shortcut before going back to town, so that next time you don't have to track as much, and remember that Wufan can also heal with her circles (per turn with a circle deployed and using Dismiss Heal).

Patch Up makes a huge difference. Even at 4/8(5/10?), it should keep you healed between battles for free.

Soulhouf

I'm starting to get sick of seeing the same monsters with different color again and again u_u
I wonder if the dev team ran out of time to respect the deadline and had to do this.

The lack of women choices in this iteration is a problem, yes.

I'm starting to get sick of seeing the same monsters with different color again and again u_u
I wonder if the dev team ran out of time to respect the deadline and had to do this.

The theory is the 3D models are more involved to make than the 2D Nagasawa stills of old.

Soulhouf

Okay, I beat the last boss.
The previous boss kicked my ass twice with his powerful attack when he became weak, so I had to charge my most powerful weapons and and finish him before he did his ultimate attack and that worked wonders.
The last boss wasn't very hard. The only thing, it was an endurance battle. The first time I died because I ran out of TP. So I brought all the usable items I had and was able to beat him (her?) after a 1 hour and half of an intense battle. I almost gave up at the end because I used all my items but I finally was able to prevail.
My team had 2 lv50 named characters and 3 generic retired lv40 characters.

I really enjoyed the game. I think it's better than the 1st one gameplay-wise, it's the perfect mix between an old school dungeon crawling with modern mechanics and the very addicting map drawing and skill tree. The story was okay but forgettable and wonderful wonderful music. The art direction is also fantastic and the 3D monster models are great.

With that said, the game has its flaws which are easily fixable in a future entry:
- My biggest issue is the challenge. Since Atlus introduced a noob mode, WHY THE FUCK MAKE THE NORMAL GAME MUCH EASIER THAN EO1? Seriously, that pissed me off to no end. Why the hell did they make it easy? I mean, I didn't run even once across a single problem with status effect whereas in the first EO the simple poison was a huge pain in the ass. Also I didn't grind at all and outside a couple of bosses, a didn't hit a wall at all.
Please Atlus, think again for the next entry when you balance the game.
- Too much reuse of the same enemy models with different colors. They could do it once or twice but some enemies have like 5 or 6 colors sometimes very similar. Inevitably the player would become sick of it. I hope it's only because the 3D models are more involved to make and they ran out of time to release the game, so it will be fixed in the next one.
- They somehow made the skills less punishing and thus you don't really have to make tough choices/sacrifices to get the good ones. Also, rest only costs 2 levels ORLY? C'mon...

Other than that, I absolutely loved the game. My second favorite on the 3DS behind Crimson Shroud, but Altlus has the formula to make a perfect dungeon crawler next time with all the experience they acquired from the different entries.

Now, go to the post game.

Top Bottom