• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Proven

Persona 3's dungeon was borring as fuck compared to the EO3/EO4 dungeons. There's just no comparing, P3 has those shitty randomized floors that all felt the same while EO actually mixes it up and it's not randomized.

Shrug. Either way the basic idea behind exploring them, going as far as you can, and heading back before a bad encounter wrecks you is similar to many other rogue-likes. That, and a fast but deep combat system, are what I look for in these types of RPGs.

Okay, I think you and I may be on the same wave length. Could you "sell" me on EOIV? And maybe elaborate on the plot component.

It's a really simple tale, EO has always been about being the one guild that gets to the end of the labyrinth, you find some characters in your way and as you go deeper and deeper as you learn more about the world(it's really light exposition, but I like it this way), I haven't finished EO4 and I'm sure there's going to be a plot twist at the end

for example, basically spoiling all EO1(you've been warned):
Etrian Odyssey included an ancestral scientist, who, after surviving a Cataclysm with a handful of other scientists, decided to try and genetically engineer a monstrous tree in order to keep the world from "dying" from pollution.

You fight this scientist at the very end and "save" the world

So the world of "Etrian Odyssey" is actually our world after the Cataclysm and the last part of the game takes place in a fucked up Japan, the whole game was trying to give some sort of environmental message

so yeah, there is a plot.

all that is explained in mere minutes because you aren't even the central point of this world, you're not a hero or anyone important, you're just a guild that decided to enter this crazy labyrinth because you want to prove you're strong.

In conclusion, I'd say EO is all about getting into this insane dungeon with the team you created, surviving many harsh challenges while making maps(this is more fun and rewarding than you might think), and discovering what the hell is at the end of the labyrinth.

If it helps AT ALL, I didn't even touch this series till the 3rd game because it looked boring as fuck, why would I want to draw maps and go through a dungeon crawler when I can be playing my RPG's with TONS OF EXPOSITION AND STORY? now I'm the biggest fan, it's beautiful.

Shrug. Either way the basic idea behind exploring them, going as far as you can, and heading back before a bad encounter wrecks you is similar to many other rogue-likes. That, and a fast but deep combat system, are what I look for in these types of RPGs.

I agree, but if someone told me EO was like the Tartarus all the time... I'd never ever fucking play it.

scy

Okay, I think you and I may be on the same wave length. Could you "sell" me on EOIV? And maybe elaborate on the plot component.

The lack of a story is more that there's no character driven story done by the game. There's a plot that goes on and NPCs that you interact with and so on and so forth. Honestly, the plot going on isn't THAT devoid of content. The bigger thing is that your characters don't get fleshed out by the game. That's your job.

Soulhouf

I absolutely fell in love with the 1st EO's story. There were so many mysteries and things going on. And in the end, that fuckin' revelation.

I hope they won't ruin that with unnecessary and boring dialogues/cut scenes in the remake.

spiritfox

I absolutely fell in love with the 1st EO's story. There were so many mysteries and things going on. And in the end, that fuckin' revelation.

I hope they won't ruin that with unnecessary and boring dialogues/cut scenes in the remake.

Same. None of the newer games ever come close to the feeling that EO1 had. Maybe it's because it's the first in the series, but the atmosphere, the feeling of going deeper and deeper into the bowels of the earth where no one has gone before, and the constant tension of something around the corner waiting to finish you off, it's something that's somewhat lost with modern games.

I kinda want to restart a playthrough of EO1 after the announcement of New EO, but I don't know if I have the time or the patience to go through all that again. Man the first few levels are so rough...

Same. None of the newer games ever come close to the feeling that EO1 had. Maybe it's because it's the first in the series, but the atmosphere, the feeling of going deeper and deeper into the bowels of the earth where no one has gone before, and the constant tension of something around the corner waiting to finish you off, it's something that's somewhat lost with modern games.

I kinda want to restart a playthrough of EO1 after the announcement of New EO, but I don't know if I have the time or the patience to go through all that again. Man the first few levels are so rough...
I'm not sure how you'd go about aquiring it, but Phantasy Star Online's single player campaign, of all things, is another RPG that does the atmospheric, minimalist, dungeon-delving thing really well. It's not ball-bustingly difficult, but it isn't a total walk in the park, either.

It's also sci-fi, which you may find it to be a breath of fresh air.

spiritfox

I'm not sure how you'd go about aquiring it, but Phantasy Star Online's single player campaign, of all things, is another RPG that does the atmospheric, minimalist, dungeon-delving thing really well. It's not ball-bustingly difficult, but it isn't a total walk in the park, either.

It's also sci-fi, which you may find it to be a breath of fresh air.

Huh, I didn't know PSO had a single player campaign. Cool, I don't know where to find it, but I'll keep it in mind. Does the multiplayer still work today?

I beat everything in my NG+. it's kind of harder to find things to do now. :/

I restarted a new save file in EO3 entirely. That game has a steep difficulty curve at the beginning.

Huh, I didn't know PSO had a single player campaign. Cool, I don't know where to find it, but I'll keep it in mind. Does the multiplayer still work today?

The main PSO servers are down but a group of fans started up their own server that is still full of people if you wanted to go try it out.

Slowly nearing the end of the postgame content. Is there anything new in NG+?

Roubjon

Can you miss or fail quests in this? Also, how the heck do you get past that purple FOE that is guarding one of the dungeons in the Scarlet Pillars area? Do I just have to kill him?

scy

Can you miss or fail quests in this?

At worst, you can finish a quest and not get the best possible reward. These are usually hinted at in-game, though. And the bonus reward isn't a missable item or anything.

Also, how the heck do you get past that purple FOE that is guarding one of the dungeons in the Scarlet Pillars area? Do I just have to kill him?

Use a plant to lure the Sheep closer to him. He'll then go off to eat the Sheep.

Keep exploring. You'll figure it out soon.

Fair enough--I'm being overly cautious because this game has been pretty difficult for me so far.

Edit: Got it :)

Something strange just happened. The game told me I collected the required amount of rat fangs for some quest, but now there doesn't appear to be any record of such a quest in my log.

Anteo

What am I supposed to do about the walls of branches in the Lush Woodlands? And should I be grinding a fair amount in this game?

Fair enough--I'm being overly cautious because this game has been pretty difficult for me so far.

Edit: Got it :)

Something strange just happened. The game told me I collected the required amount of rat fangs for some quest, but now there doesn't appear to be any record of such a quest in my log.

Great that you got it!
And grinding largely depends on your party setup, and experience with the game. In any case you should not grind random encounters, there are better ways to get exp, like killing FOEs. If you hit a wall, first try to get the lastest equips, sometimes a little more of damage output and defense is the answer.

About the quest, check the bar then.

^Thanks! And in regard to the rat fangs, I didn't realize I had to sell the materials to the shopkeeper for it to count.

I'm getting my ass handed to me. I'm still in the first dungeon and my tank gets killed constantly. That non-FOE Baboon is really fucking tough.

Proven

^Thanks! And in regard to the rat fangs, I didn't realize I had to sell the materials to the shopkeeper for it to count.

I'm getting my ass handed to me. I'm still in the first dungeon and my tank gets killed constantly. That non-FOE Baboon is really fucking tough.

Yep. I usually go in with a first turn blind+bind to deal with him quick. He might get off one quick hit, but he won't last much longer after that.

Anteo

Oh, there are some quest that ask you to give some items to the store. In some others the game tells you "Don't sell those! you have give them to the client at the bar". Also the store saves everything you sell, and use that to produce items, so for example if you sell 2 small flowers, the store will produce 2 nectars that you can buy. After that if you want more nectar you need to gather and sell more flowers. The same applies for equips, you will have to hunt for some drops to get more of the same equip. Some items use more than one drop, there should be a little rectangle at the right of the top screen with the info of what drops you need to get certain item from the store.

Consider that this game has the easiest first dugeon of the saga. But yeah that's just the game telling you "Hi there!". I too got many close calls and game overs on the first dugeon, is just the way the game is. You will get the hang of it.

ohlawd

I relied on my Sniper binding his arms for that enemy.

ohlawd

I relied bet on the run command!

well my sentence says my sniper binds his own arms against that enemy but I'm glad you got it.

I'll say this though: the run option shouldn't even exist. It never works when you need it to work.

Gonna try the demo again. Do you guys recommend casual mode for a newcomer?

I'm a newcomer and I played on Normal with no problems. Casual, I think, lowers the enemy's damage output and I didn't want to "lessen" the EO experience.

well my sentence says my sniper binds his own arms against that enemy but I'm glad you got it.

I'll say this though: the run option shouldn't even exist. It never works when you need it to work.

I'm a newcomer and I played on Normal with no problems. Casual, I think, lowers the enemy's damage output and I didn't want to "lessen" the EO experience.

Thing is, when paying the demo I got killed by a baboon thing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This game is....

Tough.

*phew*

...But maybe that's just because I am way too stingy with money. It's like, when I see there's an armor that can up my defense from 30 to 38 and priced, say, 500 gold and I have 600 gold in the bank, I always skip it because my eyes skip towards that armor above it that can up my defense from 30 to 42 and priced 1000 gold.

So in the end I didn't buy that 30 to 38 armor, but in the process of getting my gold from 600 to 1000 my team got obliterated. I can almost hear their scream "WHY DON'T YOU BUY THAT ARMORRR YOU CHEAPSKATE, THAT 30-38 CAN SAVE OUR LIVES!"

Sigh.

Consider that this game has the easiest first dugeon of the saga. But yeah that's just the game telling you "Hi there!". I too got many close calls and game overs on the first dugeon, is just the way the game is. You will get the hang of it.

So things will get easier, in a sense? I am really loving the game so far in spite of my difficulties. I find the overall aesthetic to be very pleasing, and the music is wonderful.

Ferrio

Banned
So things will get easier, in a sense? I am really loving the game so far in spite of my difficulties. I find the overall aesthetic to be very pleasing, and the music is wonderful.

It'll get easier because you know how to play and what to expect.

Tips

1. Bring threads with you always, atleast 2, but you should always have more just in case.
2. Avoid FOEs in the begging of the game.
3. Don't overstay your welcome, if you've made decent progress.. it's best to thread out and rest/save up and come back, instead of dying and losing all your progress.
4. A good time to go back to town is when you open up a shortcut in a maze (those one way doors). Allows you to go back to town, and come back without having to retrace all your steps.
5. First point in a skill is usually the most cost effective, after that the gains per skill point diminish. In the beginning it might be best to put only one in multiple skills, than specialize in a single one.

spiritfox

As you get a hold of the game's mechanics and your party members get better skills and equipment to work with, the enemies become less challenging. But they're still dangerous if you're careless. Don't expect to just hit attack to win fights unless you're overleveled.

Until the 6th maze though. That's when all bets are off.

(Don't worry that's post-game)

Anteo

I swear that thing works one out of 15 times. *sigh*

Thing is, when paying the demo I got killed by a baboon thing.

Well, if it is the FOE at the tutorial dugeon, you are supposed to avoid him, the same applies to other enemies that show up on the map.

If it's the regular encounter on B1F of Lush Woodlands then.. yeah that thing hits hard.

This game is....

Tough.

*phew*

...But maybe that's just because I am way too stingy with money. It's like, when I see there's an armor that can up my defense from 30 to 38 and priced, say, 500 gold and I have 600 gold in the bank, I always skip it because my eyes skip towards that armor above it that can up my defense from 30 to 42 and priced 1000 gold.

So in the end I didn't buy that 30 to 38 armor, but in the process of getting my gold from 600 to 1000 my team got obliterated. I can almost hear their scream "WHY DON'T YOU BUY THAT ARMORRR YOU CHEAPSKATE, THAT 30-38 CAN SAVE OUR LIVES!"

Sigh.

Nah, that's pretty much what I do, I don't bother getting new equips unless I'm about to face a Mid-Boss/Boss. Though I do go hunt for the materials to make the best equip avalible and that can take a while.

As said by others, you will learn how to handle certain encounters, better equips and more spells will help you alot, though the game will throw new thing at you that will wreck your party.

vall03

Currently in the Misty Ravine and my all Fortress party is tough as nails. And I can survive the most battles with FOEs
Except for that one time I got careless and got wiped out by confusion lol

My only problem right now is that my skill points are spread way too thin since I need to rely on sub-class skills for offensive skills, albeit at half power. So far, this playthrough is going smooth.

spiritfox

Currently in the Misty Ravine and my all Fortress party is tough as nails. And I can survive the most battles with FOEs
Except for that one time I got careless and got wiped out by confusion lol

My only problem right now is that my skill points are spread way too thin since I need to rely on sub-class skills for offensive skills, albeit at half power. So far, this playthrough is going smooth.

Are you using post-game equips? Just wondering.

Anyway, go all Dancer subs for hilarity.

vall03

Are you using post-game equips? Just wondering.

Anyway, go all Dancer subs for hilarity.

Well, I am using post-game equips but not the best ones though, except maybe for the main Fortress I've been using since the demo. Anyway, I don't know if I'll like Dancer subs for all, I wont be dealing much damage that way. But I'm still enjoying this playthrough nonetheless.

Soulhouf

I just got the Imperial class and I was thinking: combining Bushi and Imperial classes can become a death machine.
Which one is better? B/I or I/B?

I just got the Imperial class and I was thinking: combining Bushi and Imperial classes can become a death machine.
Which one is better? B/I or I/B?
I'd think I/B since reduced cooldown can't be gotten anywhere else, and Impulse Edge and Deep Breath should easily cover any TP issues. Blood Surge is Bushi's main draw, and it's a one point wonder.

scy

Sigh.

If it makes you feel any better, you probably wouldn't have survived with that Armor upgrad either. It's only like 2 or 3 less damage taken :x

I swear that thing works one out of 15 times. *sigh*

Well, it depends. Based off the EO3 formula, it's an AGI and LUC comparison. It scales pretty harshly, actually. It doesn't take a lot of AGI and LUC for you to hit an 80% chance (~11) but having, say, 5 more? Around a 25% chance. Basically, the formula goes from ~0% chance to escape to ~30% chance to escape and then suddenly jumps to 80%.

The saving grace here is that you do get +5-10% (randomly) per turn. This is why you almost always escape by turn 3, if you even take that long.

Soulhouf

I'd think I/B since reduced cooldown can't be gotten anywhere else, and Impulse Edge and Deep Breath should easily cover any TP issues. Blood Surge is Bushi's main draw, and it's a one point wonder.

Okay,
Logre
got a bushi as a second class.

I have 2 more questions:
1/Will the 2 guests who show up from time to time on the world map join my guild?
2/Is there a thread or recap for QR code exchange?

spiritfox

Okay,
Logre
got a bushi as a second class.

I have 2 more questions:
1/Will the 2 guests who show up from time to time on the world map join my guild?
2/Is there a thread or recap for QR code exchange?

1. Nope. They'll join you for a quest though.

2. We can use this thread, but nobody's sharing their guild anyway.

friz898

Also, since there is no Brady Guide, or Gamefaqs guide yet, is there any good walkthroughs anywhere? Not so much for being stuck or cheats or anything, just a timeline/guide to "go here next, now do this next" type deal.

I just killed bloodbear, and I havent been stuck, but I don't know, I like that clear checklist format.

Edit: Also any thoughts on Sniper vs. Runemaster? Seems like my runemaster isn't really doing too much except big fights.

scy

Also, since there is no Brady Guide, or Gamefaqs guide yet, is there any good walkthroughs anywhere? Not so much for being stuck or cheats or anything, just a timeline/guide to "go here next, now do this next" type deal.

I just killed bloodbear, and I havent been stuck, but I don't know, I like that clear checklist format.

The game does a pretty good job of telling you where to go and what to be doing. This even includes the timing of optional areas.

Edit: Also any thoughts on Sniper vs. Runemaster? Seems like my runemaster isn't really doing too much except big fights.

For the early game, Sniper does more damage for random encounters while Runemaster does more on the FoE/Bosses. It's down to preference, I suppose, but I prefer having the big burst for the big enemies rather than easier random encounters. Especially since you can just use a Level 1 Rune (e.g., Lightning Rune) on random encounters eventually without caring too much about going through your TP.

Top Bottom