• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

bangai-o

Banned
i waited forever for Fire Emblem to show at at the store and gave up. I instead purchased this game. at least there are feet.

Oh my. Just got the airship. I think I'm actually having fun with this. Still playing the demo though. Do you get to visit other towns?

Anteo

Oh my. Just got the airship. I think I'm actually having fun with this. Still playing the demo though. Do you get to visit other towns?

No other towns like Tharsis. There are places where NPC's live later in the game, but can't explain more, because spoilers.

Ferrio

Banned

Tharsis will be the only place you ever do anything in. Also the retail game will use your demo save game if you want, not sure if anyone told you that.

Does the actual game still maintain that sense of wonder avd exploration as the demo without getting repetitive? I know I had issues with the monotony in Strange Journey which I'm finding this is similar to.

Danj

Is this game out this month (April) in Europe? I seem to remember hearing that it was, but Googling only says "Spring 2013", I thought an actual date was announced during one of the Nintendo Directs?

Proven

Does the actual game still maintain that sense of wonder avd exploration as the demo without getting repetitive? I know I had issues with the monotony in Strange Journey which I'm finding this is similar to.

Based on the reaction someone had when they yelled at me for making a Persona comparison, I'd say no. The are a number of small side dungeons, like the first one you enter in the demo, and then there are five main multi-floor designed and polished dungeons for the rest of the story. And after you do all that, there's a sixth post-game dungeon.

spiritfox

Well the structure of the game remains the same, but there are new gimmicks in every dungeon, and the side dungeons help to break up the main ones as they have different things to them. The overworld also helps a bit as finding a new dungeon and getting to it can be an exciting thing. The dungeon designs in EO4 are also more varied than in SJ, and there are no palette-swap dungeons at all. And personally, I prefer the designs of the dungeons in EO.

I found Strange Journey's dungeons to be a lot more interesting than EO4's, and they're certainly more varied than EO4's generic fantasy dungeons, but the puzzles/gimmicks are much less intrusive in EO4 so you're not as like to burn out on or dread them.

In addition to EO4's quicker pacing, backtracking is minimal as well, so even though the locales are not as unique or diverse as SJ's, they at least change often enough.

Ferrio

Banned
i waited forever for Fire Emblem to show at at the store and gave up. I instead purchased this game. at least there are feet.

Good, the FE thread has turned creepy IMO heh.

Oh and screw Maze 5. I'm at
The maze 2 portion, with all the teleports... annoying as fuck

Soulhouf

Good, the FE thread has turned creepy IMO heh.

I know what you're saying. More often than not, I run away after seeing all the waifu talk and creepy fan arts.

Anyway, I'm in the 5th maze as well. Is it me or this maze is a total homage to EO1?

Soulhouf

I don't know why but I suddenly decided to retire almost my entire party and now I'm rocking lv30s characters.
Suddenly the game became super hard. I forgot that I don't have anymore the dancer skill that enables a character to act first and rushed into a glowing FOE -> you're dead LMAO.

Other than that I have a question: is it better to specialize my Runemaster on a single maxed out element or unlock every element which means I won't be able to use their full potential?
Because, seeing Logre having 3 elemental attacks making him strike the monsters weak point almost all the time is very nice even with lv 2 or 3 skills.

scy

You have enough points to get one maxed Elemental rune of each type (Inferno, Glacier, and Galvanic typically) and max Origin Rune still.

Soulhouf

You have enough points to get one maxed Elemental rune of each type (Inferno, Glacier, and Galvanic typically) and max Origin Rune still.

Really? That's good to know.
My Runemaster was lv60 before retiring and she was a lightning master, but there weren't any point left to put into any other element. Unless you're talking about the post game where you'll have to bring your units to very high level.

scy

Hah, yeah, I was referring to end-game. It takes almost exactly all of your points to do Galvanic Rune 8/8, Glacier Rune 8/8, Inferno Rune 8/8, and Origin Rune 8/8 with maxed passives at Level 70 (one leftover point, I believe, with nothing in your subclass).

If you go all the way (Level 99 after retiring at Level 99), you have more than enough points to max basically everything you'd want. TP Boost and Free Energy, the above mentioned runes, all the /Imperial passives, etc.

Hah, yeah, I was referring to end-game. It takes almost exactly all of your points to do Galvanic Rune 8/8, Glacier Rune 8/8, Inferno Rune 8/8, and Origin Rune 8/8 with maxed passives at Level 70 (one leftover point, I believe, with nothing in your subclass).

If you go all the way (Level 99 after retiring at Level 99), you have more than enough points to max basically everything you'd want. TP Boost and Free Energy, the above mentioned runes, all the /Imperial passives, etc.
Is Origin useful? I haven't used it much, but it seems like a debuff rune and the correpsonding nuke is just as effective.

spiritfox

Is Origin useful? I haven't used it much, but it seems like a debuff rune and the correpsonding nuke is just as effective.

It does more base damage than the elemental runes, so if you need everything dead that turn, it's pretty good. But I mostly use it as a panic button and for the 6th maze pumpkins.

scy

I only mention getting it because Galvanic, Glacier, and Inferno aren't reliable for clearing an entire fight as they're all meant for single-target kills. Origin is just a nice one turn all-target nuke.

Okay, I bought this today. I'm still gonna keep playing the demo before opening it though.

Any tips on skills, classes and making money?

Anteo

Okay, I bought this today. I'm still gonna keep playing the demo before opening it though.

1. Import your data form the demo.
2. Make money collecting things from the overworld, use a party of 1 character at level 1 and no one else so the cost at the inn goes down while gathering things.
3. What was your party again? Anyways you can keep your setup if you import the data.

Get a Fortress, a Medic or Dancer, and 3 of whatever you want to do damage.

Skills, you will respec by resting several times so just go with whatever, max taunt and I recommend the proficiency skill(only one point) with everyone.

Go and harvest stuff for money, remember that if you want time to pass just make a level 1 char and make him go alone, it will be 5en per night.

Soulhouf

I just did that. My RuneMaster (lv44) has now a basic "all elements" skill and she rocks with that. It seems that the bonus you gain by maxing them out is nice but isn't that great.
Origin is always very useful to get rid of annoying group of enemies.
Now I'm ready to progress into the last dungeon.

@BorkBork: at first I was a little disappointed by the music but it gets better and better toward the end. So good.

tuffy

I've finally assembled my "complete overkill" party and the 6th maze is going a lot smoother. It's basically:
  • N/I × 3: Venom Throw, Auto Spread, elemental drives, Follow Trace
  • R/M: elemental/Origin Runes, Star Drop, Refresh/Recovery/Revive
  • A/D: binding circles + Ailment Boost, Atrophic Eye, Quick Step
Commander's boots on the Runemaster gives me two sources of Quick Step in back. So against all the status-effecting junk in the 6th maze, Runemaster makes Arcanist go first, who binds all enemies with the appropriate circle, before my Nightseekers poison everything with a throw and take them out shortly after. Or if there's a sleeping lion present, I'll Quick Step a Nightseeker to blast it with a drive before using a bunch of area-effect stuff to wipe out anything else.

But against elemental dragons, I'll poison/debuff them on round one, then have my Arcanist Quick Step the Runemaster so Star Drop lands before firing at least three big elemental drives on round two. There often isn't a round three.

Still working my way back to the final couple of post-game superbosses, but I might actually stand a chance this time. It's not too varied, I'll admit, but I finished up EOIII with three Shuccanneers after all. The postgame's a dangerous place.

Soulhouf

I've finally assembled my "complete overkill" party and the 6th maze is going a lot smoother. It's basically:
  • N/I × 3: Venom Throw, Auto Spread, elemental drives, Follow Trace
  • R/M: elemental/Origin Runes, Star Drop, Refresh/Recovery/Revive
  • A/D: binding circles + Ailment Boost, Atrophic Eye, Quick Step
Commander's boots on the Runemaster gives me two sources of Quick Step in back. So against all the status-effecting junk in the 6th maze, Runemaster makes Arcanist go first, who binds all enemies with the appropriate circle, before my Nightseekers poison everything with a throw and take them out shortly after. Or if there's a sleeping lion present, I'll Quick Step a Nightseeker to blast it with a drive before using a bunch of area-effect stuff to wipe out anything else.

But against elemental dragons, I'll poison/debuff them on round one, then have my Arcanist Quick Step the Runemaster so Star Drop lands before firing at least three big elemental drives on round two. There often isn't a round three.

Still working my way back to the final couple of post-game superbosses, but I might actually stand a chance this time. It's not too varied, I'll admit, but I finished up EOIII with three Shuccanneers after all. The postgame's a dangerous place.

That's what I call a team lol
Did you finish EO1 post game? Unless it was easier, but I had a varied team back then.

tuffy

That's what I call a team lol
Did you finish EO1 post game? Unless it was easier, but I had a varied team back then.
I didn't, to be honest. B27F - the invisible pit level - was a huge pain and I didn't want to spend ages killing hordes of treefrogs in order to readjust my party to have a Protector and lots of Immunize. I did complete the EO2 postgame by abusing the burst gauge and Revenge Hexers, but never got around to building a Tagen Battou Ninja in EO3 which seems like the standard way to clobber the final postgame boss in one big hit.

This time around, though, I really should fill all those slots in my guild card.

Man, it takes a lot of drops to forge those end-game weapons. Since I can already kill the end-game bosses, it will just make it slightly easier.

Maybe I will want to do another NG+. I am thinking of buying another copy entirely...but I can't really justify it just to start over from the beginning.

Also, Star Drop says it is for debuffing Physical Defense....But it seems to work with Runemaster attacks!

Soulhouf

I didn't, to be honest. B27F - the invisible pit level - was a huge pain and I didn't want to spend ages killing hordes of treefrogs in order to readjust my party to have a Protector and lots of Immunize. I did complete the EO2 postgame by abusing the burst gauge and Revenge Hexers, but never got around to building a Tagen Battou Ninja in EO3 which seems like the standard way to clobber the final postgame boss in one big hit.

This time around, though, I really should fill all those slots in my guild card.

I just loaded my save to check my team:

Ronin
Protector
Troubador

Medic
Survivalist

All retired level 70. I've beaten all the optional bosses with this team, without checking internet for strategies back then.
I always read that you have to make your team in a specific way to beat the optional bosses, so what are the recommended teams? It's just to compare with mine of course.

It's amusing that after all these years, my EOIV team is almost the same except I have a Runemaster instead of a Sniper. Now I'm feeling so nostalgic. Such a great game...

scy

I always read that you have to make your team in a specific way to beat the optional bosses, so what are the recommended teams? It's just to compare with mine of course.

Protector + Medic + 2-3x Damage is all that matters, really. PLSMT is the most typical end-game setup.

I need some more help, guys. I'm very early on in the game (I've only completed the first mission) and I no longer have any quests or missions left to complete. How do I get more? I've tried talking to everyone.

And how to I lure that bear FOE in the Lush Woodlands to that blocked passage on the far right of the map? It's the only area I haven't explored yet.

Also, I'm feeling a bit worried in regard to skill allocation. Everyone is ~8, and I'm mainly focusing on those skills with obvious benefits (the passive ones, especially). Are there some less obvious skills I should be paying attention to? For instance, I can't figure out why binding an enemy's legs is even useful.

My party:

Landsknecht
Fortress
Medic
Sniper
Runemaster (when should I branch out to elements other than fire?)

spiritfox

I need some more help, guys. I'm very early on in the game (I've only completed the first mission) and I no longer have any quests or missions left to complete. How do I get more? I've tried talking to everyone.

And how to I lure that bear FOE in the Lush Woodlands to that blocked passage on the far right of the map? It's the only area I haven't explored yet.

Also, I'm feeling a bit worried in regard to skill allocation. Everyone is ~8, and I'm mainly focusing on those skills with obvious benefits (the passive ones, especially). Are there some less obvious skills I should be paying attention to? For instance, I can't figure out why binding an enemy's legs is even useful.

My party:

Landsknecht
Fortress
Medic
Sniper

Have you found the stairs down? You'll get more quests when you do.

And don't worry too much about skills. Most skills in this game are good enough, and if you want to reskill, you can rest at the explorer's guild to get all your points back for the cost of 2 levels. And binds are super useful. Each type of bind will disable a set of moves (for example leg and claw skills for leg bind) and lower a stat. You can basically cheese a lot of enemies and bosses with binds.

Binds are almost essential for the 2nd boss, but you'll get additional help then.

My party:

Landsknecht
Fortress
Medic
Sniper

I recommend to focus on thunder at first, you don't need any other element for a while ao you can go full tp plus and whatever you want.

Binding is super useful, but the Sniper fails a lot of binds at the beginning because of er low stats. If you want to know what every bind does I'll explain later.

Try to find a passage for lower floors

scy

You don't. You overlooked another passageway altogether elsewhere. That right passage is taken out by the bear behind it, not by luring one elsewhere.

Also, I'm feeling a bit worried in regard to skill allocation. Everyone is ~8, and I'm mainly focusing on those skills with obvious benefits (the passive ones, especially). Are there some less obvious skills I should be paying attention to?

Just a note, a lot of the Passives don't scale that well. Then again, it's not like you have a lot to spend on.

Landsknecht - Vanguard for Initiative later is nice, Power Break is useful. Their low level skills are a little underwhelming.

Fortress - Taunt; Auto-Taunt is debatable. Strike Guard/Element Guard are good and a few points in Ally Shield for unlocking Line Shield later will be useful as well. Holy Smite is debatable if you want them to do some damage. Might as well get it with the party you have since you could use it. A case of "might as well" really.

Medic - Patch Up is worth maxing. The rest of their skills, for the time being, just use them for filling out prerequisites.

Sniper - Arm Snipe is the most worthwhile Snipe to max early on since it halves damage dealt (roughly) as well as shuts off most attacks. Leg Snipe will be good to have later. You can start working towards Squall Volley now but, personally, I'd avoid it until much later since it requires a lot of setup.

Runemaster - Single points in a lot of skills, really. I prefer Volt and Ice for the early game since it hits more weaknesses and the targeting works out better. Just fulfill prerequisites for the time being. Runic Gleam is worth maxing if you plan to use it. It requires 3 points before it's actually turn efficient (that is, you gain damage over four turns using it) and it's max efficiency is at 5/6, not 6/6.

Now, all that said, I wouldn't worry too much. Redoing skills isn't that big of a deal. Most skills are at their best really early on so spreading your points isn't going to make things impossible for you at any point in the game.

For instance, I can't figure out why binding an enemy's legs is even useful.

Disables Evasion, prevents attacks that require their Legs to be used.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I realized my problem was that I mistakenly drew a wall where there wasn't one, causing me to think I had explored the entire floor.

Everyone's feedback re: skill allocation is making me think I didn't distribute everything very effectively, but I'll only reset them if I run into any trouble.

I really, really like this game.

Anteo

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I realized my problem was that I mistakenly drew a wall where there wasn't one, causing me to think I had explored the entire floor.

Everyone's feedback re: skill allocation is making me think I didn't distribute everything very effectively, but I'll only reset them if I run into any trouble.

Yeah this happens from time to time. I went for active skills this time since I figured I would get better damage per turn that way, the only thing is that you may want to reset at levels 22 and 42 to get the 2nd and 3rd tier skills, you don't really need to have any point on a previous tier so you can reset, fill the pre req and max out a high level skill after reseting.

you will probably respec when you're level 22 so you can go back to 20 and use the next tier of skills.

or whenever the fuck you want, I respec my runemaster whenever I want her to do other crap, don't sweat it and just do it.

spiritfox

Right, but I don't really see much difference in EOIV. Is it because it's way easier that you can make whatever team you want and succeed?

More like the classes are more balanced, with no outstanding broken setups unlike the previous games.

That has been found.

Does Luc have any affect on status affects applied from weapons?

Just wondering, if I want to give instant death weapons to characters for the fallen one, if high Luc makes a difference.

scy

Right, but I don't really see much difference in EOIV. Is it because it's way easier that you can make whatever team you want and succeed?

Way to mitigate damage + Way to recover from damage + Way(s) to deal damage. It's just how things operate. EO4 loosens things up a bit by spreading those around some (e.g., Elemental resistances handled by a Runemaster) and makes them actually usable (e.g., Elemental resistances handled by a Runemaster vs old Troubadour's skillset which had the same thing).

Also, a case of player damage getting to the point where you can viably just burn down an encounter before dealing with their damage so you don't need massive mitigation/healing :x

It's a case of just better refined skills along with better designed classes. EO1 had you rather limited since Ronin wasn't all that great (slot reliance), Hexer (poorly designed Status Effects in general then), Dark Hunter (see above), and to a lesser extent, Alchemist (waning usefulness of Spell Damage due to how they functioned / how other classes scaled).

Does Luc have any affect on status affects applied from weapons?

Just wondering, if I want to give instant death weapons to characters for the fallen one, if high Luc makes a difference.

It uses the same formula. LUC and TEC's contribution to the chance of landing a Status Effect / Bind is a multiplier on the base chance.

It uses the same formula. LUC and TEC's contribution to the chance of landing a Status Effect / Bind is a multiplier on the base chance.

So, what's the base chance each forge gives you? Now I'm wondering if I should go for a 6 or 8 forge slot weapon.

scy

It should be 6% for the first Status Effect Forge and then 3% per Forge after (e.g., 8 Forges would be 27%: 6% + 3% * 7) but I haven't tested it out of being busy/lazy.

Baron

Can anyone comment on buying the game from Amazon - does it still come with the box and extras, or has that sold out already?

Top Bottom