• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

ohlawd

We have a similar team, having a Dancer in front helps a lot, constant healing is amazing for the fortress(I had 4 points in Regen, 1 in proficiency, and the rest in the evade up one)

Whenever my dancer wasn't dancing(she only needs to dance once every four turns) she would use items to heal the party. I believe the dancer is a better healer than the Medic when it comes to long fights, the dancer only uses 6tp every 4 turns to keep healing while the most basic healing spell of a Medic is 5tp PER turn. AND the Dancer also does decent damage while the Medic does SHIT damage

well I'll try again later. I'll replace my Sniper with my Dancer.

I got exposed to Atelier by a combination of a glowing import review for Iris and NISA picking it up while I was more positive about them. And HOLY CRAP IT'S AN ALMOST FULLY 2D JRPG HITTING PS2 I GOTTA GET IT. Then the PS3 games went 3D, but at least Totori onwards has very good 3D given the studio's apparently small size, even Rorona didn't look TOO bad.

lol no joke some dude on GameFAQs posted pics of the LE stuff of Rorona and I'm like "I'm in". I didn't even watch any gameplay vids. The only thing in my pockets were the promise of a bunch of collectibles and that the game is all about the item creation. Bless that guy.

But I can level up again and gain them back? Or are the skill points permanently lost?

naw they aren't permanent. I've rested my Medic like three times.
Your username from Chihayafuru? Great show but recently, I read some translator blog and apparently, Impassionate is the wrong word to use.

This is how I did it:

Landsknecht: attacks with Electric Link (volt-type)
Fortress: attacks with Bolt Strike (volt-type)
Runemaster: casts Volt Rune to lower enemy's resistance to volt, then Lightning
Dancer: cycles between Attack Tango, Guard Tango, Regen Waltz
Medic: meh

I'm gonna have a hard time against bosses who are strong to volt >_>

snaaaaaaap I should rest my Dancer and put some points in Regen Waltz.

spiritfox

Hopefully it isn't gamebreaking with a wave of the hand like 3's was...

Pffffft...oh, you're serious.

Meh. It's faster to just hit them dead, unless they have some stupid annoying skill that you need to bind out. And I'm just talking about the normal game, not the post-game stuff. But binds have helped me out before, so they are not useless. I'm just saying there's more efficient way.

Everyone should have a Dancer in their team because I say so

(I'm sure she'll be a monster later in the game when she can do like a million links with the Landlashjdjahsd)

scy

(I'm sure she'll be a monster later in the game when she can do like a million links with the Landlashjdjahsd)

Well, Medic isn't that useful since Regen Waltz covers basically all your needs (+ item use as needed). And, like you say, Dancer works well with a Link Landsknecht.

scy

For example, I think Medics' Immunize from EO1 was a little too strong

To be fair, Immunize was ridiculous due to how Mitigation worked in EO1. EO2+ has better total mitigation options than Immunize but since Armor isn't a flat reduction AFTER %Mitigation, it never* quite became as ridiculous as EO1.

*Barring the fact you can negate all the damage for over half the post-game encounters ;_;

From the little I know so far, I believe EO4 "remedies" this by having more well-rounded, self-sufficient class design (to the point where subclassing may actually feel a little less exciting to those who really enjoyed playing around with EO3's).

I think the biggest change is encounter design takes into account some of the ridiculous builds and their weaknesses.

Well, Medic isn't that useful since Regen Waltz covers basically all your needs (+ item use as needed). And, like you say, Dancer works well with a Link Landsknecht.

exactly, I can't wait for them to do crazy combos

Do you invest any skill points in Counter Samba?

yes, but that's because you want the Chases for later in the game... in the demo you can't really do much so I went full healer with my Dancer

ohlawd

don't worry I'm on it the second my bro lets go of my 3DS.

Yep :)
My absolute favorite anime. And haha that's too bad about the translation, but I still really like the way it sounds.

one of my favorites too. I'm really hyped for the new episodes coming up.

tuffy

It's hard to give up the medic's patch-up for the dancer's regen waltz in the early game. Patch-up gives enough HP after each fight that it's easy to stay in the dungeon longer, but the regen waltz is going to be better in boss fights because it keeps the dancer free to do other things while healing automatically. I think subclassing the two together may be a solution, but it may take awhile to open that up.

It's hard to give up the medic's patch-up for the dancer's regen waltz in the early game. Patch-up gives enough HP after each fight that it's easy to stay in the dungeon longer, but the regen waltz is going to be better in boss fights because it keeps the dancer free to do other things while healing automatically. I think subclassing the two together may be a solution, but it may take awhile to open that up.

true, but medicas are 20 per piece, which is NOTHING. so I brought with me like 10-20 of those and had no problems. I think the Dancer can become a crazy damage class... I'm expecting to sub her with Nightseeker but I'm not sure yet. I think I'd like an Arcanist/Medic for debuffs/healing later on.

ohlawd

however subclassing is done, I hope this is possible. Medic's Patch Up is how I stay in dungeons for so long.

edit: Medicas exist but I'm lazy. Patch Up is hassle free :D

however subclassing is done, I hope this is possible. Medic's Patch Up is how I stay in dungeons for so long.

Items are your best friend and can subsitute whatever the Medic does, they are useful and easy to get if you farm a bit. Early healing items are basically free if you go and harvest B1 1-2 times

Subclassing, you get both class trees and 5 extra points to assign freely... it's that simple(I'm assuming it's the same as EO3, you could even rest and choose another subclass)

Velcro Fly

This is my thinking too. Not having the constant wear and tear of random battles draining my party of HP or my healer of MP was so nice in the demo. Plus the old tank and spank method killing FOEs where my Fortress taunts, my Medic tosses out a direct heal, and everyone else goes all out on offense worked well for me too.

Really I'm afraid to try something new :(

I know patch-up seems AMAZINGLY GOOD when you begin the game because you don't have that much options and you have to go back to town to heal....

but really, It's not that great, you don't need it... it just helps a bit, but at the cost of a character slot which is insane in EO, every character of your team counts.(The Princess class was similar in EO3, it was awesome but I ended up not wasting points in that skill)

That's the deal with EO, if you focus too much in healing you don't do enough damage, then your healers ran out of TP because you're taking too long in boss fights... then you die. I learned it the harsh way when I was a newbie of the series and wanted a dedicated healer no matter what

Althane

I know patch-up seems AMAZINGLY GOOD when you begin the game because you don't have that much options and you have to go back to town to heal....

but really, It's not that great, you don't need it... it just helps a bit, but at the cost of a character slot which is insane in EO, every character of your team counts.(The Princess class was similar in EO3, it was awesome but I ended up not wasting points in that skill)

That's the deal with EO, if you focus too much in healing you don't do enough damage, then your healers ran out of TP because you're taking too long in boss fights... then you die. I learned it the harsh way when I was a newbie of the series and wanted a dedicated healer no matter what

What would you say to having a secondary party for leveling? A group that wasn't inteded to relaly take on the FOEs and such, but was just around to provide a meatshield and damage output while you put a newbie or two in with them to get them some levels early on.

What sort of layout would you take with that? (Assuming that you don't just want to boss grind it)

There's a treasure map everyone may or may not get in the beginning (i think everyone gets random maps? Which is why they want you to trade guild cards w/whatever map you want to attach). It's the "Deep Woods" map, which leads to a treasure you can find in the Windy Plains. It's a piece of equipment and it should be better than anything that's in the shop when you start off.

Since not everyone will have this map (and if you're like me, you want 100% of the maps), I decided to attach that map to a level 1 Dancer and post up the QR code for anyone interested:

QRdancer_zps0afdf87a.jpg
dancer1234_zps4df2af13.jpg
Dancer skills included:
Proficiency - 1
Regen Waltz - 1
Attack Tango - 1
Plus, some equipment that should help.

So if you see yourself having a tough time with the game, or your time is limited with RPG's and you want to see as much as you can, maybe this Dancer will help. If not, then at least you'll add another treasure map to the list as well as find a good weapon.

If anyone needs a map, and I have it, just say the word and I'll post it up.

For the record, I really love the Dancer, lol.

vall03

I hate asking this question, but as someone who sucks at how timezones work, how long before the game goes up on eShop?

You are amazing. It's people like you who make these sub forums so enjoyable. Thanks for helping me raise the HYPE for this game <3

It feels great to hear someone appreciates what I'm doing, I love Etrian Odyssey and I just want to share my love with everyone else, thank you very much

What would you say to having a secondary party for leveling? A group that wasn't inteded to relaly take on the FOEs and such, but was just around to provide a meatshield and damage output while you put a newbie or two in with them to get them some levels early on.

What sort of layout would you take with that? (Assuming that you don't just want to boss grind it)

I've had secondary parties for exploring or grinding materials, but I mostly do it because I find it fun. You can easily focus in a single party and finish the game, the post game content is usually insane and that's when your party might have problems. You will face some battles that would seem easier with other party structure, but there's usually nothing that is unbeatable with some more levels and/or changing your strategy a bit.

the fact that you can rest your party for just 2 levels is a blessing if you get stuck somewhere, you can always respec your runemaster to hit a specific weakness for example.

it's the most useless skill ever, look:

28v4v

It just activated at the beginning of combat... and you can just use the 2 TP skill, use those points in maxing Provoke
28v5O

It's always 2TP and you want that 80% of chance, BELIEVE ME

also, if you get the Proficiency skill which regens 3TP every time you're hit, you'll never EVER run out of TP to do Provoke

in conclusion, I don't know why the fuck Auto Taunt exists
But, I'm pretty sure Auto Taunt uses the Taunt percentage, so there's not much downside in using autotaunt. And it's not about the TP savings, it's about being able to start the match with it so any fast enemy attacks could already be affected, and that first turn you can have your Fortress do something else, like increase your front row's defense or attack or whatever. Even with only 20% chance of it going off, it's nice to once in a while get a free turn for your Fort, so I think it's worth putting at least one point into autotaunt.

But, I'm pretty sure Auto Taunt uses the Taunt percentage, so there's not much downside in using autotaunt. And it's not about the TP savings, it's about being able to start the match with it so any fast enemy attacks could already be affected, and that first turn you can have your Fortress do something else, like increase your front row's defense or attack or whatever. Even with only 20% chance of it going off, it's nice to once in a while get a free turn for your Fort, so I think it's worth putting at least one point into autotaunt.

I know, but I'd prefer to not waste a point in a skill with only 20% of chance. I'm sure my team can handle an attack before my Fortress taunts the first turn, I'm just crazy OCD about making every single skill point count

I placed a 10 dollar pre-order for the game and you guys are making me want to buy the eshop version instead of waiting another week(I don't live in the USA)... damn

KarmaCow

But, I'm pretty sure Auto Taunt uses the Taunt percentage, so there's not much downside in using autotaunt. And it's not about the TP savings, it's about being able to start the match with it so any fast enemy attacks could already be affected, and that first turn you can have your Fortress do something else, like increase your front row's defense or attack or whatever.

The point is it's better to have a 80% trigger rate throughout the battle than 55% trigger rate through out the battle but a 50% chance of it activating that one time at the start of a battle.

Sure if you have extra skill points, but early on those points are precious and later on there are better skills than having a skill auto-proc at the beginning of a round saving maybe half a turn.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm tellin ya, we should collect all these QR codes in the op in some way.

Bururian

I just love that in the digital age, I can say "In thirteen minutes, you'll be mine"
I fought long and hard on the decision, but I decided with physical. I also have to be at work in six hours. I think I made a good choice for me. (I'd be up all night playing and miserable at work)

The point is it's better to have a 80% trigger rate throughout the battle than 55% trigger rate through out the battle but a 50% chance of it activating that one time at the start of a battle.

Sure if you have extra skill points, but early on those points are precious and later on there are better skills than having a skill auto-proc at the beginning of a round saving maybe half a turn.
But it's not 80% vs 55%, it's 80% vs 75%, assuming you put just one point into autotaunt - that 5% isn't going to make as much of a difference compared to a 20% chance of a free turn for your fort at the start of the fight.

Koroviev

I fought long and hard on the decision, but I decided with physical. I also have to be at work in six hours. I think I made a good choice for me. (I'd be up all night playing and miserable at work)

I'm going to play the demo to stave off the impulse to buy the digital version.

But it's not 80% vs 55%, it's 80% vs 75%, assuming you put just one point into autotaunt - that 5% isn't going to make as much of a difference compared to a 20% chance of a free turn for your fort at the start of the fight.

It's probably the most important skill that I'll use the whole game, I'll take that 5%

I feel like a total numb nut for asking, but I've never understood what QR codes are or what they're for...?

QR codes store data. Often it's a web URL, so you run an app on your phone which takes a picture of the QR code, decodes it, and sends you to the website. In this case the 3DS's camera takes a picture of the QR code and decodes it into a character from someone else's party or a special item for your game.

KarmaCow

Yea I didn't catch the edit but still, I don't see the value in the skill activating 20% of the time. I generally don't like random chance skills and it just offsets the buff rhythm by a turn.

meh, wont be needing Taunt or Auto-Taunt when you have access to Party Shield though

I just use Party Shield when I know it's a Damn FOE that hits all the party.... always killing our poor mages in one hit

Is it me or this is the best tank we've ever had? I'm checking builds and the Fortress is soooo good

Yea I didn't catch the edit but still, I don't see the value in the skill activating 20% of the time. I generally don't like random chance skills and it just offsets the buff rhythm by a turn.

I always edit my posts multiple times, never get what I want to say out on the first try :) For me, I like random chance, and definitely don't want a "buff rhythm", to me that takes some of the fun out of the gameplay if I'm always doing the same things in the same order.

Jarsonot

So in casual mode you're sent back to town if you die, but in normal mode it's game over, right?

But are your characters dead, or do you just have to reload and try again?

Top Bottom