• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Out of interest what level was most of your party at when you got to the Scarlet Pillars? Just got to it today and have a few guys at level 20, feeling alittle overpowered at the moment but I'm sure I'll be put in my place sooner or later

ohlawd

Out of interest what level was most of your party at when you got to the Scarlet Pillars? Just got to it today and have a few guys at level 20, feeling alittle overpowered at the moment but I'm sure I'll be put in my place sooner or later

That sounds about right.

Anteo

how do you remember all that, man

Dunno really.
I remember that for the first floor it was likely that you would get a red orb just before the room with the stairs, really close to the FOE that hangs around there
And for the second floor I got a encounter near the take(?) point (eventhough it was shorter than the b1f path). And that encounter was likely to have a big roller which was a pain in the ass early in the game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Not sure how well this will keep my interest. I mean I want to explore and map things out properly, but after enough enemies your TP is just too low or your inventory is filling up so you should just go back, sell and rest. FOEs aren't seeming hard really, they just take your defensive and status stuff and thus drain your TP fast.

Fighting several of them in one place just isn't going to happen without TP refilling stuff, so you avoid them, but with all the leaving and coming back and peon encounters required I feel like I'm leveling up a hell of a lot without really going anywhere. This new boss will probably make me glad I did, but this grinding is a real grind fighting the same shit so much and needing to back out and go in again.

I'm level 15 now and I dunno, I think I'll switch to SMT IV since SMT games make the grind more interesting with lots of interesting enemies and the fusion system and whatnot. It also generally lets you keep at it for longer stretches to really get in the zone. I'm not feeling the rhythm on this so well.

Not sure how well this will keep my interest. I mean I want to explore and map things out properly, but after enough enemies your TP is just too low or your inventory is filling up so you should just go back, sell and rest. FOEs aren't seeming hard really, they just take your defensive and status stuff and thus drain your TP fast.

Fighting several of them in one place just isn't going to happen without TP refilling stuff, so you avoid them, but with all the leaving and coming back and peon encounters required I feel like I'm leveling up a hell of a lot without really going anywhere. This new boss will probably make me glad I did, but this grinding is a real grind fighting the same shit so much and needing to back out and go in again.

I'm level 15 now and I dunno, I think I'll switch to SMT IV since SMT games make the grind more interesting with lots of interesting enemies and the fusion system and whatnot. It also generally lets you keep at it for longer stretches to really get in the zone. I'm not feeling the rhythm on this so well.

I never had problems with this game as you just use an Ariadne Thread, then use the shortcuts and you're back to where you were before pretty fast. You can even set which cave you want to be teleported immediately from the city, the game makes an effort to not waste your time.

The game starts to really feel amazing when you start to subclass, maybe retire a member or two to get new classes, and make crazy combinations with your party.

omlet

So I got my original party (retired back into same starting classes) up to 99 again this week and decided to try tackling Fallen One again. Last time I paid him a visit after I first beat the three dragons (I managed to beat all 3 in a row at level 70 without grinding in between) he promptly flicked me to death quite quickly. I went in pretty much blind except knowing about
how he opens with a dispel/bind-all move
and expecting to get wiped out again due to how my party handles boss fights and to the fact that I'm not using any good forged weapons yet. Was a pretty exciting fight.

My runemaster was whittling him down while my Nightseeker was frantically trying to stick some kind of status ailment on him. Finally stuck something (I forgot what, I think it was Poison) on him 3 or 4 turns into the battle. Unfortunately it didn't last long enough for her to take advantage of so I went ahead and Blood Surged to be ready for the next one, since the battle was going better than expected. She managed to land Curse a couple turns later and then it was time for pain. Blood Surged Charged Attack Tango'd Swift Edge did over 20,000 damage. If Follow Trace had proc'ed that would have been the end of it, but since it didn't that left him with less than 10% of his life. Curse wore off so I couldn't do another hax Swift Edge but even a non-hax one with a good boosted Galvanize was enough to finish him off as soon as we got out of the binds he re-applied. Didn't have a Formaldehyde with me since I didn't expect to win but got the conditional anyway, haha. Was pretty awesome. Revenge is sweet. I <3 my Nightseeker.

Now just need to try that sixth stratum boss next.... and then wait for them to respawn :D

OMG, just this game its amazing, its soo simple and basic, yet I'm just compelled to keep playing on, no matter how hard it gets, no matter what obstacle is put in my way, I know I can beat it and I have the tools to beat it and I just love that feeling.

I really really wish there was a Miiverse for this.

omlet

Speaking of beating the game...

gvmd.png

Complete! I beat everything in the entire game with this party, the same party I first ventured into those windy plains with. Feels good.

Endgame builds for anyone interested (for waveform skill calc program):
3721x504x0x041066600600105x80500002000002000550000040
292136600026014620026x1868680513002000021200040004000
7221584802868102028xx01230880003200003000030000000000
6103166664022214444606x1418880000000000000200304030000
5871x400x3442144200x061316080234030140024000200052000

Now on to Untold Classic Mode Expert Difficulty to see how long I last at that before turning it down to normal >:D

gunstarhero

Sounds about right - though I'm struggling a little bit at LVL 26-27 with the end boss to that land.
the Super Hollow or whatever it's called.

tuffy

Sounds about right - though I'm struggling a little bit at LVL 26-27 with the end boss to that land.
Binding legs and heads will help a lot there, and the game provides a bonus Arcanist whose circles can make that job much easier.

Anteo

Bind legs = enemy i much much easier to hit, cant use moves that require legs
Bind Head = accuracy goes down (iirc) and cant use moves that require head (mostly magic like spells)
Bind Arms = physical damage goes down and cant use moves that require arms

Soulhouf

gvmd.png

Complete! I beat everything in the entire game with this party, the same party I first ventured into those windy plains with. Feels good.

Now on to Untold Classic Mode Expert Difficulty to see how long I last at that before turning it down to normal >:D

well_done_sir.gif

Well done ma'am.

gvmd.png

I'm amazed, good job.

I'm still trying to do this, even if I have retired my team many times, I really really like the Arcanist so there's no way I could not have one in my team.

omlet

Thanks! Monster/walk count is a bit inflated due to leveling an entire extra team to 99->retire->99 by just doing auto-walk grinding while I was asleep because I wanted to try some other party compositions without compromising my main team. (I didn't abuse that for my main team except for a little bit of "catching up" leveling after their first retire since auto-level abuse kills the fun of exploring.)

I once read that EO is merciful for not having a game clock to remind you how much time you've actually spent on their great little games but since 3DS has an activity log I can report that my clock time is 221 hours on this game...even subtracting time I spent on stuff not related to "completing" the game (like several nights' hours worth of auto-leveling extra characters) I'd still put it over easily 100 hours from start to complete. And I'm not done with the game yet...still wanna kill the postgame bosses a few more times and try out some other party comps!

I'm amazed, good job.

I'm still trying to do this, even if I have retired my team many times, I really really like the Arcanist so there's no way I could not have one in my team.

By the time I unlocked Arcanist, I was way too attached to my team to make any changes even though Arcanist is awesome and Hexer is like my favorite class from I/II/U. Couldn't bear to not have Selene in the back row cheering them on, so...Arcanist subclass was sufficient. Kind of the same with Dancer... I agonized a long time over swapping her out for someone who could do more damage but it just wouldn't feel right without her in my front line being cute and stunning/instakilling the shit out of everything (and also buffing for absurd Swift Edge damage).

Stats on a level 99 retired team are pretty nuts. I feel like EOIV is a lot more forgiving on party comp when it comes to beating the level 70+ bosses/FOEs than the previous games. My little hotpants paintrain Nightseeker especially surprised me, landing status ailments fairly easily even with Bushi sub for maximum evisceration. Medic using Releasal on downtime turns in boss fights helped, I'm sure, but still, coming from EOIII where it seemed like everything except your party was immune to everything except stun, that was nice to see.

I know there are lots of other viable party comps, but you really can't go wrong with balanced as long as you spec/subclass right.

Edit: Here's the stats on my party. This is a 99 retired team as I mentioned. I used a lot of stat books on them, too. Front line is all 10/10 on STR books. Fortress is 10/10 on AGI books (also on VIT books which turned out to be a waste due to how high the VIT on a retired fortress is, but whatever). Nightseeker is 10/10 on LUC books. Dancer is 10/10 AGI, I think, and a few on LUC for forge ailment success. Nightseeker doesn't need 10 AGI books to hit 99 AGI after a retire. For the back row I maxed TEC on both, VIT and LUC on medic. Runemaster is using the only sensible equipment build that doesn't involve a Nanoha--er, I mean, a Driveblade... that is, full ELM forged daggers for 22 ELM forges (you can get more with the ultimate daggers with 2 more slots but that's just getting into total overkill territory). Medic is using a LUC forged sword for bosses. Those are thunder-forged swords with ATK offhands on the front line and fortress swaps between the Yagrush, a volt-forged hammer. Entire party has a set of instakill/petrify forged weapons for trash and weak FOE farming.

So yeah I've majorly over levelled, just beat him with a team of 30-36 level characters :D

Have I said I love this game, because I do, love the ability to just auto battle with the L Button, set the characters to wander around a small area on a map and grind away while you watch TV or something.

I really do wish I had played this last year, may have entered my GotY list.

ohlawd

So yeah I've majorly over levelled, just beat him with a team of 30-36 level characters :D

Have I said I love this game, because I do, love the ability to just auto battle with the L Button, set the characters to wander around a small area on a map and grind away while you watch TV or something.

List it as your 2013 pick in the 2014 GotY thread.

gunstarhero

Woah - I wasn't aware you could even do that... how?

Ferrio

Banned
Woah - I wasn't aware you could even do that... how?

There's icons on the map screen that are arrows. If you place them down and stand on them, then hit the play button you'll automatically path that.

What you can do is make a circular path somewhere away from FOES, hit the start button and lay a book down on the A button (or whatever) and leave the system alone. Come back hours later and you got a ton of levels.

There's icons on the map screen that are arrows. If you place them down and stand on them, then hit the play button you'll automatically path that.

What you can do is make a circular path somewhere away from FOES, hit the start button and lay a book down on the A button (or whatever) and leave the system alone. Come back hours later and you got a ton of levels.
I didn't even think of a book on the A Button :O

The only downside I can see to that is when you get too many items and need to offload them.

I'm up to the Sacred Mountains, not overly sure what I'm meant to be doing, have talked to everyone in town and no one is giving me advice so just randomly exploring and seeing what there is to see.

UberTag

gvmd.png

Congratulations! Have to pass along my kudos on 100% perfection after my own run from a few months back.

Time to compare...

TeamEqualia_zps90f31715.png

I actually feel somewhat inadequate as you banged out 11 extra levels and I needed 100+ more days than you did to clear through everything.

But holy cow at that enemies hunted / territory walked disparity between our two games. I didn't abuse auto-battling so that likely accounts for the difference.

Ferrio

Banned
I didn't even think of a book on the A Button :O

The only downside I can see to that is when you get too many items and need to offload them.

I'm up to the Sacred Mountains, not overly sure what I'm meant to be doing, have talked to everyone in town and no one is giving me advice so just randomly exploring and seeing what there is to see.

It auto throws them away... and I mean who cares if you throw them you'll get plenty of money anyways.

omlet

Congratulations! Have to pass along my kudos on 100% perfection after my own run from a few months back.

Time to compare...

TeamEqualia_zps90f31715.png

I actually feel somewhat inadequate as you banged out 11 extra levels and I needed 100+ more days than you did to clear through everything.

But holy cow at that enemies hunted / territory walked disparity between our two games. I didn't abuse auto-battling so that likely accounts for the difference.

Nice, is that a retired 88 team or just a normal 88 linker team? If not retired, I'm impressed you cleared everything with that party at that level (though it's still plenty high to get all the skills maxed that you need for a good linker party).

For the walk/hunt count, as mentioned, I only did heavy autoleveling on my secondary party, but yeah that does account for a TON of walk/kill count, since I got them to 99 -> retire -> 99 with pretty much ONLY leveling in Underground Lake (it's the best spot in the game for it, IMO, and I tried several).

I enjoyed FOE/boss hunting as I explored with my main team, plus I never stayed in dungeon long after getting about 30-40 items to sell. As you can see by my 7+ million entel, I way overestimated the amount of cash I'd need in this game after always feeling totally broke in II and III, so my main team actually hit 70 cap midway through the Forgotten Capital without even really grinding. Getting back to 99 after retire of my main team was a bit of auto-level (30-50ish) and then the rest of the levels were from a lot of FOE killing (dragons give a ton of exp and I was able to kill them all pretty easily at 70) and exploring the Hall of Darkness.

You might be surprised how quickly you could get those last 11 levels by farming a few dragons/bosses and rare FOEs with Holy Gift burst skill. I used Holy Burst very frequently even on trash packs (with rare breeds) since it fills back up so quickly, especially with a dancer.

The ventured days disparity, though, I couldn't explain (especially considering dozens of in-game days were sunk in my secondary party which didn't contribute to 100%'ing the game). My main team was pretty good at surviving for a long time without having to go back to town. I had my Nightseeker subbing Arcanist until after retiring and that basically meant no one else in my team ever had to spend TP on anything to kill stuff because Spread Venom Throw with TP Return is insanely powerful so that really minimized the number of trips back to the inn--often I'd just go back to town, sell stuff, and head right back out to the dungeon without resting because NS/A can kill trash packs for hours without needing a refill. From what little I experimented with it, a linker party in IV is a lot like a WM party in III, so as soon as your keystone member (landshark in IV, gladiator in III) is out of TP, your damage falls apart until you go rest your TP back, so maybe you spent a lot more nights at the inn?

It auto throws them away... and I mean who cares if you throw them you'll get plenty of money anyways.
Yeah I guess, need to get over worrying about missing out on some money :p

Also I know I said it before but it really really annoys me there is no Miiverse for this game, Soul Hackers got one in UK, I would love to be able to talk with other people who are playing the game at the moment and share screenshots. I'm kinda stuck not sure where to go next (in the 3rd Maze 2nd floor but seem to be stuck) and would just be nice to use Miiverse for a game like this to ask for help.

omlet

Yeah I guess, need to get over worrying about missing out on some money :p

Money in this game flows freely with how easy it is to gather from resource points. Look at how much money I have earned on my guild card pictured above. To put it in perspective, I have 10 party members in my guild decked out in the best armor, second best weapons (I'm not insane enough to grind ygg weapons for that many people), and good accessories. And I still have over 3.5 million entel of the 7mil total I've earned in the game. You will not need a "ton" of money until postgame and by then you can easily get tens of thousands of entel with a single trip to the postgame dungeon and facerolling bosses with Formaldehyde to easily get their high value conditionals, so don't worry about it now.

I was trying to 100% the game but now Bravely Default is out!

Any recommended guides for this available or general tips? Don't see anything in the OP.

Having trouble? you can ask away and get some help.

Tip #1: Have a Fortress and Medic(or Dancer) in your team if you're new to the series.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Quick random question since I didn't know where else to ask: does the physical copy of millennium girl come with an instruction manual? I'm thinking about buying one used but there is no manual with it.

omlet

Quick random question since I didn't know where else to ask: does the physical copy of millennium girl come with an instruction manual? I'm thinking about buying one used but there is no manual with it.

No, it does not. Like EOIV it has an electronic manual accessed on the 3DS home screen when you highlight the game's icon.

You can find the first press run of the game (I think newegg still has them, that's where I got mine a couple months ago), it does come with the little 8(?) page booklet of some cute art and a CD of a few of the game songs, but no physical instruction manual.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
No, it does not. Like EOIV it has an electronic manual accessed on the 3DS home screen when you highlight the game's icon.

You can find the first press run of the game (I think newegg still has them, that's where I got mine a couple months ago), it does come with the little 8(?) page booklet of some cute art and a CD of a few of the game songs, but no physical instruction manual.
Ahh that was quick, thanks.

harshairmail

Neo Member
So I've just finished the main story. Just wanted to share a few thoughts.

This was actually my first "dungeon crawler", so it was a bit of a new experience for me (reasonably experienced with JRPGs though).

Finished in 60-odd hours

My team was made up of:
Front
- Fortress/Bushi
- Nightseeker/Land

Back
- Runemaster/Medic
- Sniper/Arcanist
- Arcanist/Runemaster

Basically, Fortress would draw damage, Sniper would inflict binds and Arcanist would inflict status, while the Runemaster and Nightseeker went to work.
That was the strategy for every boss/FOE.

I don't think I used the sub-classing system very well, but the team did work for the most part. I probably should've replaced my Sniper with another damage dealer, but I grew too attached to my team to make any changes.

The team was all around level 63-65 by the end. I actually felt over-leveled towards the later part of the game, despite not doing any real grinding; just did all the quests and killed any FOEs that got in the way.

I didn't mind the map-drawing at the beginning, although I questioned if it was necessary. Scarlet Pillars onward changed my mind, though.

I would've liked Warding Bells to be more accessible, because trekking back to B3F of dungeons after warping back to town is a bit of a pain in the arse.

I appreciated the way the story was handled. It wasn't really imposed onto you. It just gave enough of a motive to move onto the next land.

All in all, this is probably in my top three 3DS games. I'll move on to the post-game and then Untold eventually. Not any time soon though. I've had enough dungeon crawling for a while.

gunstarhero

Just beat the Boiling Lizard.

Holy crap that was awesome.

I was starting to fatigue a bit in this game - I imagine a lot of people drop out at the Sacred Mountains? :-/

Glad I went back and finished that level - it was a bit of a bitch, but now I'm playing non stop again. :)

tuffy

Just beat the Boiling Lizard.

Holy crap that was awesome.

I was starting to fatigue a bit in this game - I imagine a lot of people drop out at the Sacred Mountains? :-/

Glad I went back and finished that level - it was a bit of a bitch, but now I'm playing non stop again. :)
The third maze can be tiring because of the way the dual entrances and floor freezing interact. I think it's clever, but there's a lot more backtracking than usual. Fortunately, the fourth maze's "gimmick" is a lot different and that's also when the story starts to pick up steam.

sphinx

the piano man
add me to the list of EOIV veterans, I completed the game 100% some days ago:

here the pics.

my rules for the playthrough were the folowwing

.- all lists in the book complete
.- at least one character of every class brought to a level 99, (10)
.- Store completely unlocked with at least one of each item buyable at the time of the picture (I messed up, bought the Reppu imperial blade and is the only one that isn't unlocked now)
.- Retiring wasn't mandatory but I retired Logre...and lost his exclusive design :-(
.- all QR codes aquired and quests complete.

some thoughts.

.- the Landsknecht is more or less useless in the post-game content
.- Imperial drives are game-breaking
.- Game is waaaay eaiser than past EO games.

overall EO3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>EO4

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Mad props. I think I'm in the third land. I WANT to finish this game, but I don't see myself doing it. I feel like its just too grindy. I have to fight a few battles in each new area, then run back to town to heal, and repeat. I feel like that's not getting to be that much fun anymore.

Maybe I'll just knock it down to Casual, or be a man and play on Normal... or just quit this game altogether. Ahhh, I dunno!

sphinx

the piano man
Mad props. I think I'm in the third land. I WANT to finish this game, but I don't see myself doing it. I feel like its just too grindy. I have to fight a few battles in each new area, then run back to town to heal, and repeat. I feel like that's not getting to be that much fun anymore.

Maybe I'll just knock it down to Casual, or be a man and play on Normal... or just quit this game altogether. Ahhh, I dunno!

find the shortcuts in the floors you are visiting, face every wall until you find a "check" message in the right corner and put an arrow there. there's a shortcut. when you open it from the other side, use an ariadne thread, save and heal, go back to the maze and continue where you left. Rinse and repeat with the next shortcuts.

Linkark07

Banned
Hey there everyone...

Well, Im kind of lost right now. Finished the main game and now trying to finish the post game starting with those dragons.

Tried to fight the Storm Emperor, but couldnt even lower 1/4 of his health.

My party is this:

Front Line:
I/R Lvl 61
F/D Lvl 69

Back Line:
M/A lvl 65
N/S lvl 69
S/N lvl 68

Any tips? I was thinking of replacing someone for an Imperial and perhaps retire the medic for get an Arcanist/Medic.

tuffy

Any tips? I was thinking of replacing someone for an Imperial and perhaps retire the medic for get an Arcanist/Medic.
Remember to eat for elemental resistance if you're not already - there's special corresponding food for that pretty close to each dragon. Your I/R will also be in charge of keeping the Volt Rune going in order to cut breath damage further. Turning your N/S to N/I may also be helpful. The idea there is to land a status effect and then blast the ailing dragon with a big elemental drive in the next turn for an extra 280% damage (which may trigger twice with Follow Trace). M/A to A/M is also a good idea since you'll get binding/status circle and more than enough healing with Dismiss Heal and Circle Mastery.

Hopefully that'll give you some ideas at least.

Anteo

Eat food + equip volt resist charm = 95% voilt damage reduction, with that gone, you just have to worry about the physical attacks. I think it happens every 5 turns (or was it the thunder attack?), so you can just defend that turn.

tuffy

I thought EOIV's dragon breath was random past the first turn, unlike III where it was guaranteed every 5 turns. Still, food resistance, the volt resist charm and a Fort's Party Shield skill would help make that big attack a non-issue.

Linkark07

Banned
Thanks for the tips.

Going to train my Arcanist with those golden sheeps meanwhile.

Eat food + equip volt resist charm = 95% voilt damage reduction, with that gone, you just have to worry about the physical attacks. I think it happens every 5 turns (or was it the thunder attack?), so you can just defend that turn.

Noticed the dragon thunder attacks are random. It attacked me once at turn 13, and then later with the same attack on turn 15.

Anteo

Thanks for the tips.

Going to train my Arcanist with those golden sheeps meanwhile.

Noticed the dragon thunder attacks are random. It attacked me once at turn 13, and then later with the same attack on turn 15.

I think all of them have a multi hit physical attack that is turn based, aside from the elemental attack

Anteo

Best and Worst hidden classes. I had a pretty standard party there for my first run, Gladiator - Hoplite - Farmer and Zodiac - Monk, but Princess, Ninjas and Pirates are pretty fun too! I used the broken Ninja with sub to make it past the dragons in my later runs.
Also, create lots of farmers (other classes too) and give them the Combat Study skill.

sphinx

the piano man
EOIII blows EOIV out of the water regarding classes.

everyone was awesome and useful.

the bucaneer, the prince, the Wildling, etc, cool jobs that were actually fun to use.

Top Bottom