• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Yeah that's the mini boss dude, he was protecting the ygdrasil. The boss is waiting outside in the 4th land.

This is weird

I went back to the room where I fought Cursed Prince because I didn't find anything outside in Cloudy Stronghold. I get there and the cutscene played out again and I had to fight him. This is despite the fact that I killed him already and the room is already mapped out lol

edit: I probably didn't save afterwards. Any other explanation is too ridiculous

And done. There I was devising strategies and shit with my Land, Imperial, Fortress / Arcanist, Rune party but then I remembered I had my Nightseeker. I reckon Venom Throw did an easy 30% of the total damage during the fight lol

I think I'll leave the post game for later. Read some books and whatnot until Pokemon comes out. I went into this game almost blind, never seen a video of the series, didn't read any reviews (which I did after buying the game for some reason), nothing. I got a lot more than I bargained for. This series is boss as fuck and this game is probably my favourite 3DS game of the year ahead of Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter. I'm probably more relieved than sad to be dropping this, all that leaning over was hurting my neck.

Roubjon

And done. There I was devising strategies and shit with my Land, Imperial, Fortress / Arcanist, Rune party but then I remembered I had my Nightseeker. I reckon Venom Throw did an easy 30% of the total damage during the fight lol

I think I'll leave the post game for later. Read some books and whatnot until Pokemon comes out. I went into this game almost blind, never seen a video of the series, didn't read any reviews (which I did after buying the game for some reason), nothing. I got a lot more than I bargained for. This series is boss as fuck and this game is probably my favourite 3DS game of the year ahead of Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter. I'm probably more relieved than sad to be dropping this, all that leaning over was hurting my neck.

Dude, how the hell did you beat the game in like, 3 weeks, lol? I bought the game on release and have only just started Labyrinth IV. Granted I take long breaks, but damn. I'm probably the outlier here to be honest though. Congrats though, now buy Etrian Odyssey Untold!

Dude, how the hell did you beat the game in like, 3 weeks, lol? I bought the game on release and have only just started Labyrinth IV. Granted I take long breaks, but damn. I'm probably the outlier here to be honest though. Congrats though, now buy Etrian Odyssey Untold!

A depressingly open schedule breh

It worked out to a bit in the morning and a bit in the evening so like about 2-3 hours except one Sunday where I did fuck all else and got in like 10 hours while I was sort of marthoning Breaking Bad. That number is going to haunt my Activity Log forever lol

I'll definitely pick up Untold when it comes out in Europe/Australia. Only sucky part aside from the long ass wait is that we don't get any of the Atlus knick knacks from the first print run. I want those soundtrack selections :(

There was one guy who beat it in 3 days. I beat it in 3 weeks myself.

Roubjon

I guess If I played games instead of going on GAF I'd be done with it by now. But besides GAF, I usually get distracted because of newer games. It says something that I keep coming back to it though, it's really a brilliantly crafted game.

Anteo

I think I beat it in two weeks.
Also the postgame requires much more planing its awesome, you should at least check what is up.
Anyways great that we have newcomers to the series
sad it's dead now right sega?

mrsmr2

Imagine encountering those bastards since the beginning of the game.
That's where you realize that EOIV is too soft and forgiving compared to the previous games.

I'm not finding it that soft compared to EO1. Ok, the really short dungeons (I'm on the 3rd so far) and the shortcuts make life far, far easier, but I've had more deaths with my party than I ever had in EO1.

Now, I don't have a medic or a fortress so I'm not making life easy for myself and my front line D and NS can get one-shotted by foes too easily. I appreciate how godly Immunize was now which saved me many times.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
In honor of the series probably dying, with Sega's Atlus assimilation I will replay EO4 with a fresh party as soon as I am done with Untold Girl's story mode. Hell yeah. Such a brilliant franchise. RIP T_T

Anteo

In honor of the series probably dying, with Sega's Atlus assimilation I will replay EO4 with a fresh party as soon as I am done with Untold Girl's story mode. Hell yeah. Such a brilliant franchise. RIP T_T

It's a good way to finish the series, with an amazing remake of the fist game.

Eusis

Is there a real reason why everyone is saying the series is now dead? Or are we just jumping to conclusions?
Fear based on SEGA acquisition and their treatment of recent niche games, even though each of those have sound reasons (PSP was in a pretty bad state outside of Japan for the last several years effectively becoming a portable Saturn despite having SNES unit numbers, PSO2's an online RPG that's F2P, and Yakuza has massive amounts of text and possible licensing issues that may not justify the numbers it sells). There IS the issue with Atlus USA which we don't know exactly what'll happen, though given the Sega USA layoffs that at least means they may need staff or are even preparing for Atlus to fill up the hole.

Funnily enough, if anything I'd fear the simple fact EOU exists most. A remake of the original game putting in more typical JRPG aspects and a lowered baseline difficulty to appeal to people who weren't paying attention to the series, that may just be an attempt to get more people into a healthy series but it does sort of carry the implication they need more people to justify making them.

ohlawd

late to the endgame discussion but here's my post after beating the game 8 days after release. Not very impressive though if someone actually did beat it in 3 days >_>

toast, you da man. EOIV is still my GotY, ahead of FEA, SMTIV, Atelier Ayesha, all that other good stuff. EOU's pretty cool, confident that it can either beat EOIV or sit at second. Either way, good showing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Pretty much new to this series too, and what I love about it is that it is 90% pure, great gameplay, with barely any bullshit tacked on.

WweAkvM.png

Slay.

Now, between LM2 and SMT4, I'm going with the former. I have had my fair share of Atlus with EO4.

I give this game a 9/10! Will definitely buy EOMG next year.

I couldn't resist coming back so I took out the 3 dragons today. Surprisingly simple. Haven't touched the last labyrinth aside from getting to the geomagnetic pole and teleporting the fuck out (2spooky). Team is between 65-68 now, how the heck an I supposed to get to 99?

Anteo

I couldn't resist coming back so I took out the 3 dragons today. Surprisingly simple. Haven't touched the last labyrinth aside from getting to the geomagnetic pole and teleporting the fuck out (2spooky). Team is between 65-68 now, how the heck an I supposed to get to 99?

Farm the dragons, The red one has some +exp food drops laying around, use the exp burst and kill them again and again. That is much more fun than it sounds since one mistake = death. I have died to them even around level 88 by one mistake.

ohlawd

Focus on the sheep FOEs on the 2nd Land, give them the rare carrot to turn them shiny. They spawn everyday

If you do it right, you can turn two of them into gold with one rare carrot. With Holy Gift and the bonus from shiny, they give out 48k exp.

Icy Pincers are great too but they don't spawn everyday. They need Happiness Hare (is that what's it called... it's the rare meat in 3rd Land). With the same set up as before, they give out 120k exp per kill.

I was hoping doing the last stratum would hey me all the exp I needed :(

I'll need to do some guild cards then. Shouldn't take long to level each character, just tedious to set up.

Farm the dragons, The red one has some +exp food drops laying around, use the exp burst and kill them again and again. That is much more fun than it sounds since one mistake = death. I have died to them even around level 88 by one mistake.

This sounds good. How often do they respawn anyway?

Anteo

I was hoping doing the last stratum would hey me all the exp I needed :(

I'll need to do some guild cards then. Shouldn't take long to level each character, just tedious to set up.

This sounds good. Hope often do they respawn anyway?

14 days, that's the only bad part. make a 1 level char and use him as the only one on the party while spending days on the inn, the price will be 5 per day.

How long does it take to setup and activate StreetPass on this game? I'm not starting it until I finish Untold, but I have a few events coming up and I wouldn't mind having some extra maps or whatever once I get into it?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
You guys know how there is a red circle icon on cave maps? What does this mean exactly? You discovered the entire cave or got all the treasurers from every cave, or fulfilled every quest?

Neo C.

Just beat the game on the first run, now up to the 6th labyrinth.

What are the benefits in starting "new game +"? In EO3, you can get the other class, but this time it feels like it isn't necessary.

Anteo

Just beat the game on the first run, now up to the 6th labyrinth.

What are the benefits in starting "new game +"? In EO3, you can get the other class, but this time it feels like it isn't necessary.

iirc, the chest and quests reset, so you can get the items again (unlike eo3)

RpgN

WweAkvM.png

Slay.

Now, between LM2 and SMT4, I'm going with the former. I have had my fair share of Atlus with EO4.

I give this game a 9/10! Will definitely buy EOMG next year.

You can take pictures in the game? How?

I started up the full game today with the save from the demo. It feels great to play with again, so relaxing with that soothing soundtrack...

There's something that's bugging me though. Your inventory gets full quickly with those 60 slots. Will there be a point later where you can save your items in a chest a la resident evil/pokemon?

The inventory got full quickly especially after I got a lot of gifts through qr codes from atlus/rpgamer. You know those items that have a trade word written on them with a value of 500 gill? Am I safe to sell them or will they be necessary to have later in the game?

I started up the full game today with the save from the demo. It feels great to play with again, so relaxing with that soothing soundtrack...

There's something that's bugging me though. Your inventory gets full quickly with those 60 slots. Will there be a point later where you can save your items in a chest a la resident evil/pokemon?

The inventory got full quickly especially after I got a lot of gifts through qr codes from atlus/rpgamer. You know those items that have a trade word written on them with a value of 500 gill? Am I safe to sell them or will they be necessary to have later in the game?

You can get the image of your guild card by saving it to your SD card at the Cargo Wharf.

You can store items right now at the Inn and later quests will expand your storage space.

The trade items are just throwbacks to older games in the series. No use outside of nostaliga and a free 500 gold.

Anteo

1) Sell everything unless you need it for a quest. The store keeps track of what you sell and use that stock to "forge" items for you to buy. Afer a while you will be able to save items on the inn, the size for the inn will increase as the game goes on, but your main backpack will stay at 60 for ever.

2)The items that you get from qr... if its just a common item with no use, sell it. Otherwise check if you can equip it and either use it or save it on the inn.

RpgN

You can get the image of your guild card by saving it to your SD card at the Cargo Wharf.

You can store items right now at the Inn and later quests will expand your storage space.

The trade items are just throwbacks to older games in the series. No use outside of nostaliga and a free 500 gold.

1) Sell everything unless you need it for a quest. The store keeps track of what you sell and use that stock to "forge" items for you to buy. Afer a while you will be able to save items on the inn, the size for the inn will increase as the game goes on, but your main backpack will stay at 60 for ever.

2)The items that you get from qr... if its just a common item with no use, sell it. Otherwise check if you can equip it and either use it or save it on the inn.

Thank you for the swift responses guys.

Not sure why I didn't notice that you can store items at the inn. I'll keep those nostalgia items for the time being I guess, unless I'm really in need of more cash.

Thanks again!

RpgN

The game has been excellent so far. Really good. Like belonging in my top list of all time or something.

If we add the demo progress, I've put 23 hours in the game. Made it to the second land, fully explored miasma forest, did all the available quests and started exploring the second labyrinth.

The game is close to perfection with its mechanics, challenge (playing on normal), strategy and management.

The only flaw I can think of, is it not being less time consuming. As in it could make things even more speedy. Like having all your party level up, even the ones that you're not using, select floors of maps as well instead of going through them to reach the top floor. Sure there are shortcuts that make things better, but this would have been more ideal. The latter is a bit nitpicky, as the game already respects the player's time a lot.

Having different classes is a bit of a pain because you can only use 5 at a time. My main are L, F, D and M,R. D is swapped with N and S often to level them up too. Those two classes were very weak at the beginning, especially the sniper. But their potential is finally starting to show (level 13). It's sad that those lag behind and in turn slow the progress of dancer as well. Sometimes I try to grind more often with those classes after completing everything in a land, or use the weak onces when getting quest experience. It's just too awesome building those classes and them becoming stronger. My main classes are around level 17 (D) and 21 (the rest).

How do you guys deal with different classes? Do you just stick with 5 or do you have better methods of making them all stronger?

spiritfox

Well I played the game using only 5 main dudes, and the game is designed on the idea that you'll pick 5 classes you liked and played most if the game with them. That said, you'll get chances to play with the other classes later on in the game.

Anteo

I stick to 5 too. The only game where I didnt stick to 5 was Etrian III because of the "half exp when not in the party" skill, but even then they were always 10 levels behind and you had to reset their points to make them usefull anyways (-5 levels in that game, and that made them -15 levels behind in the late game)
So it was only usefull for a farming party or a couple of chars that you could set up to join the main party or just solo the game. (Dat Ninja/Ronin)

Also, the game seems to be balanced around a 5 man party for the whole game. They level up just in time for the boss battles, and requires little grinding here and there if you fall behind but not so much. And that's an If, some party setups may fall short of 1-2 levels on some bosses, but not all of them and it also depends on the player (how much you try to skip battles, etc)

About your other concern, the shortcuts thing. They added exaclty what you want for EO:Untold. Fast travel to a stair, but only if you explored enough before that area. So basically if you get to the end of the floor, you can jump to that stair to keep going down.

The game has been excellent so far. Really good. Like belonging in my top list of all time or something.

If we add the demo progress, I've put 23 hours in the game. Made it to the second land, fully explored miasma forest, did all the available quests and started exploring the second labyrinth.

The game is close to perfection with its mechanics, challenge (playing on normal), strategy and management.

The only flaw I can think of, is it not being less time consuming. As in it could make things even more speedy. Like having all your party level up, even the ones that you're not using, select floors of maps as well instead of going through them to reach the top floor. Sure there are shortcuts that make things better, but this would have been more ideal. The latter is a bit nitpicky, as the game already respects the player's time a lot.

Having different classes is a bit of a pain because you can only use 5 at a time. My main are L, F, D and M,R. D is swapped with N and S often to level them up too. Those two classes were very weak at the beginning, especially the sniper. But their potential is finally starting to show (level 13). It's sad that those lag behind and in turn slow the progress of dancer as well. Sometimes I try to grind more often with those classes after completing everything in a land, or use the weak onces when getting quest experience. It's just too awesome building those classes and them becoming stronger. My main classes are around level 17 (D) and 21 (the rest).

How do you guys deal with different classes? Do you just stick with 5 or do you have better methods of making them all stronger?

I just use 5 and end up changing/retiring them all the time, the whole point of the game is that you play it as you want. I never used a Medic, for example.

It's a restriction to focus the player to make choices (and not Bioware Choices either, real ones). It's one of the series' hallmarks: enough to enable variety, but not enough to cover every base. Also, you get to subclass later on.

ohlawd

Score. I've been waiting to add this game to the digital ranks.

Hurry the heck up, FEA. Get on sale already so I can add you, too. Now when I look at it, a 32 gig isn't big enough -_-

Top Bottom