• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey this game is on sale for $20 eShop right now! Great deal.

Right now I feel pretty stumped. I just entered the third land, first cave where you fight a bunch of bats and I'm getting KOd left and right. I think my party is about 33~ level , i did rest each of my party members some time ago. I'm at that point where I've owned this game for about three months now and I feel like if I don't set it to casual mode then I may never finish the game. I just progress so slowly! Maybe I need to put the medic back in my party because I feel like I'm just going down too easy now.

What do you guys think? Do I just need to grind it out here on the third land- or will playing in casual really loose much of the fun of the game? I agree that this game is really awesome at making you feel triumphant when overcoming difficult enemies. I just feel like at his rate I jay finally finish the game in 2015!

Anteo

Hey this game is on sale for $20 eShop right now! Great deal.

Right now I feel pretty stumped. I just entered the third land, first cave where you fight a bunch of bats and I'm getting KOd left and right. I think my party is about 33~ level , i did rest each of my party members some time ago. I'm at that point where I've owned this game for about three months now and I feel like if I don't set it to casual mode then I may never finish the game. I just progress so slowly! Maybe I need to put the medic back in my party because I feel like I'm just going down too easy now.

What do you guys think? Do I just need to grind it out here on the third land- or will playing in casual really loose much of the fun of the game? I agree that this game is really awesome at making you feel triumphant when overcoming difficult enemies. I just feel like at his rate I jay finally finish the game in 2015!

Have you tried updating your equips? There is a cave in the second land with frogs, I remember I got some drops there that opened some new stuff.
Also, unless you are overleveled I would expect the enemies to destroy you every time you get to a new land

desverger

I wonder if I could warrant a LTTP thread for this already..

Anyway, I was hoping someone could give me a little bit of party advice. I've just beat the Hollow Queen and my party is around 30-32. I've been running L/N/F in the front row and M/S in the back, and am planning to retire my whole party now that I've unlocked Arcanists.

The original party I was thinking about was:
Landsknecht/Runemaster - Nightstalker/Dancer- Fortress/Dancer
Arcanist/Medic - Sniper/Bushi

The idea is that Lands setups the links and the NS/Sniper exloits them with massive number of attacks. Fortress can be in the front or back depending on the situation.

But I've been having second thoughts about this - mainly due the overlapping duties, since I'll have the Arcanist. I suppose I could delegate the binds between Arcanist and Sniper and just do poison with my NS?

Either way this feels kind of redundant and I'd much rather just dedicate my Arcanist to binds for example, due to them getting Ailment Boost.

The alternative to this would be kind of similar, but swap the Sniper with Imperial for more damage, and permanently place the Fortress in the back (maybe swap places with the NS occasionally if needed). I'm just curious if this would actually be beneficial and if the Imperial needs a main class Runemaster to help the damage.

Which one should I go with, or should I go with something else entirely?

ps. Sorry for the two-week old bump but this game "just" came out in Europe :p

Shane

Just tried the demo. Haven't sat down and played a JRPG since...well, maybe eight years ago.

Apart from some troublesome character portraits, wish they'd pack this shit in, this seems to be an excellent step back into this world. The first person view reminds me of the old Amiga AD&D games, and the painted-esque backdrops are decent. Plus there isn't endless reams of text. People get to the point in this city.

omlet

Hey dungeon crawlers, hope someone can help with a question my sister has. She's had the game for a while and I just recently got around to getting a 3DS so she's too far ahead of me in this game for me to help with anything beyond general party/skill advice based off my experience with the rest of the series. Here's her question:

"I am stuck in the Golden Lair. I found the entrance in the Sacred Mountains in A-3. I can't find anything to freeze the ice to get across them. My team is level 32-33. I also can't find another entrance in the Sacred Mountains to get to it. I have been to the Cramped Nest and the Underground Lake and have already done all these quests:

Supply request, the Outland Count's task, Atelier request, Defeat a violent baboon!, Culantro, please, Find the headwaters, Atelier request II, Hole-y terror, Treasure on my mind, Lost: one ring, Shroom at the inn, A storied book, Small flowers needed, Poison blossom?, Mist monster, Headwaters, continued, Moth eggs, Slay the illusionist!, Slime mold of the gods, Missing person, Appled sciences, Please find Snow Garden, Curry courier, What's that rock?, Deliver perpetual ice."

Can anyone help out?

Anteo

Hey dungeon crawlers, hope someone can help with a question my sister has. She's had the game for a while and I just recently got around to getting a 3DS so she's too far ahead of me in this game for me to help with anything beyond general party/skill advice based off my experience with the rest of the series. Here's her question:

"I am stuck in the Golden Lair. I found the entrance in the Sacred Mountains in A-3. I can't find anything to freeze the ice to get across them. My team is level 32-33. I also can't find another entrance in the Sacred Mountains to get to it. I have been to the Cramped Nest and the Underground Lake and have already done all these quests:

Supply request, the Outland Count's task, Atelier request, Defeat a violent baboon!, Culantro, please, Find the headwaters, Atelier request II, Hole-y terror, Treasure on my mind, Lost: one ring, Shroom at the inn, A storied book, Small flowers needed, Poison blossom?, Mist monster, Headwaters, continued, Moth eggs, Slay the illusionist!, Slime mold of the gods, Missing person, Appled sciences, Please find Snow Garden, Curry courier, What's that rock?, Deliver perpetual ice."

Can anyone help out?

The golden lair is the only dugeon in the game that has 2 entrances.

Anteo

Thanks, she was able to find both entrances and made it in!

I think the game basically tells the player
there is another entrance at one point
, not sure if it was a npc or a narrative dialog that points out that. Also, in case she is not doing it, tell her to go often to the bar and talk to the npcs there (not the lady that runs the bar, but the guys that hang around there), they have great hints about stuff.

Tell your friend once she's done with Golden Lair "You just finished the worst Stratum in the game. You're in for a treat."

Don't mince words. Tell her that word for word.

Yeah, that one is really tedious, and the music doesnt help.

If I had to rank the dungeos:

sphinx

the piano man
I just started this.

am I rusty or is this game harder than all past EO games in normal difficulty?

these games are so addicting, I can see my social life going down the shitter with this game..

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Which is a better intro to the series? EO IV or Untold? I might get this after I beat SMT IV so I was curious.

spiritfox

II or IV, or conversely, play I or III, then play II or IV and see them improved.

I wouldn't recommend 2 as an entry to the series as it's the toughest and grindiest of the lot. 4 is the perfect starting point, and then you can go back if you want to see the rest. It'll be tough to go back though, due to all the quality of life improvements the later games provide.

If you're a masochist play them all in release order.

I wouldn't recommend 2 as an entry to the series as it's the toughest and grindiest of the lot. 4 is the perfect starting point, and then you can go back if you want to see the rest. It'll be tough to go back though, due to all the quality of life improvements the later games provide.

If you're a not a hedonist play them all in release order is possible.

Fixed.

coopolon

I wish casual mode just returned you to town, I think I would have more fun without the game over penalty, but the changes to damage that casual mode aldso had would really ruin the game.

I wish casual mode just returned you to town, I think I would have more fun without the game over penalty, but the changes to damage that casual mode aldso had would really ruin the game.

4 is already the easiest game of the series, I can't even imagine how easy it is in casual mode.

gunstarhero

Took everyone's advice, and chose EOIV.

It's exactly what i was hoping for - and I'm officially addicted.

Question - does it pay to level up more than the 5 characters in your party? I'm currently level 10 with a Fortress, Landsknecht, Dancer, Medic and Nightseeker, but I'm thinking of swapping one for a Sniper.

Do you swap party members often in this game?

spiritfox

Question - does it pay to level up more than the 5 characters in your party? I'm currently level 10 with a Fortress, Landsknecht, Dancer, Medic and Nightseeker, but I'm thinking of swapping one for a Sniper.

No, unless you want to try out a new class. But it's better to wait till later in the game, since there are class unlocks, and you can retire your characters for stat and skill point boosts.

Anteo

Yeah the game is clearly balanced around a 5 man party. Later you will get means to get another character closer to the rest of the party, but its limited.

You have a really easy time leveling up other party member later on, and you just retire your old party(you can retire characters later on and the next one you make is half the level of the character you retired).

I'd say you just need to keep a main party, I almost never level up other characters.

gunstarhero

You have a really easy time leveling up other party member later on, and you just retire your old party(you can retire characters later on and the next one you make is half the level of the character you retired).

I'd say you just need to keep a main party, I almost never level up other characters.

Thanks guys! I decided to leave the Nightseeker in favor of the Sniper, and have already managed to get him leveled up enough where he can hang with the rest of my party. Now I'll stick with the party I have for the rest of the game.

Just beat the
Blood Bear
- Only yesterday I was running for my life when I saw a Cutter... now they soil themselves when I enter the forest. :p

coopolon

The Bears in lush wood lands b2f are still red to me suggesting they are way above my level, but I have already killed the two furyfawns in small orchard already (the one that shows up after those two is red.) Do I need to grind levels? I've done all the quests available that are in areas I can access. I think I am level 7.

Anteo

The Bears in lush wood lands b2f are still red to me suggesting they are way above my level, but I have already killed the two furyfawns in small orchard already (the one that shows up after those two is red.) Do I need to grind levels? I've done all the quests available that are in areas I can access. I think I am level 7.

Most party config wont be able to face the bears until level 10-12. You really arent supossed to grind levles to kil the FOEs, just walk past them.

coopolon

Most party config wont be able to face the bears until level 10-12. You really arent supossed to grind levles to kil the FOEs, just walk past them.

Hmm, it didn't seem like I could get past them on the second level, but maybe I missed something. Will check again.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay I just bought this...

l1opuxZ.jpg

I have sword, shield & night up front, healer & rune in the back. Gave the front weapons, loaded my shield on armor, gave my sword a buckler and boots and my night a helmet and boots. Sold the ol daggers I was replacing to get that much armor. Now I wasn't planning on battling just yet, going to sleep first because it's late.

I'm not really sold on that nightseeker in front over a sniper in back, but I don't know shit about this game so maybe it will work out? The guy looks cool at least, haha.

tuffy

I have sword, shield & night up front, healer & rune in the back. Gave the front weapons, loaded my shield on armor, gave my sword a buckler and boots and my night a helmet and boots. Sold the ol daggers I was replacing to get that much armor. Now I wasn't planning on battling just yet, going to sleep first because it's late.

I'm not really sold on that nightseeker in front over a sniper in back, but I don't know shit about this game so maybe it will work out? The guy looks cool at least, haha.
It'll be fine. You've got some physical offense, elemental offense, status effects and healing which covers a lot of bases. The best thing about Snipers is their binding ability, but another class will open up later that does that job more efficiently (and can replace your Medic).

Anteo

l1opuxZ.jpg

You have the party I used till the post game. Nightseeker and Sniper are mid-late game class, they get more useful as the game goes on. A sniper on the back would work just fine, but you would have 2 people on the front row, the front row gets attacked more often than the back, so a 2 man front line needs to be tankier.

omlet

If you're a masochist play them all in release order.

Honestly, EOII is not that bad.

I mean, it may feel "grindier" than III or IV during the main game, but don't forget/discount that you can beat the post-game stratum and boss at the standard level cap of 70 if you farm up good gear and have a good party (mainly that means having a paladin, which you can get through a bunch of the game without until then). Now consider how much more tons of grinding there is in III and IV to do postgame stuff, level cap quests, stat book farming, formaldahyde/conditional farming.

Also, subclassing...yeah it's fun and I like it, but the straightforwardness of party member roles is something that EOII does really well--frankly, I appreciate the (relative) simplicity of II after all the hours I spent burning my brain playing with builds in EOIII (and to a lesser extent EOIV).

After playing III and IV, I'd still recommend II, as much for what it does well as for what it doesn't do at all.

Disclaimer/perspective: EOII was my intro to the series after EOIII was already out. I played III second after I tried and failed to get into EOI (I got EOU instead to play enhanced EOI) but I still haven't beaten Abyssal God (my party is getting there though). Got started on IV about a month ago, finished main game last week, retired my starting party at level 99, grinded them back up to 80s, now grinding a new party up to 99 to retire to get some new classes to try on postgame stuff.

I started my EOIV game with F/N/D | R/M (that's Fortress, Nightseeker, Dancer, Runemaster, Medic) and I'm still using the same party in the post-game content. It was a bit rough early on, so I grinded a bit extra and didn't have too much trouble with the 20-40 level range except for the second main boss. Once I got to 40 the game turned into maxiumum easy mode thanks to Nightseeker's Poison Throw which is so powerful it will even clear encounters in the post-game (hardest) dungeon in 1 or 2 turns. I had no idea it was as powerful as it is, haha.

Nightseekers are a good pick for your starting party and are super strong past level 40. They're also fine in the front row because all their damage skills are from blade weapons so you'll want them on the front row for that. However, they're squishy, and doubly so because you'll want them to dual wield weapons so they lose a piece of armor to do that so you'll either want to invest in Shadow Cloak for them or make sure you have your Fortress to use Guard skills to protect them. (I skipped Cloak since I have a Fortress.)

If you want to get a little more detailed with your party management you can start battles with your Nightseeker in the back row to use Throw skills and leave them there until it's time to move in for the kill with their weaponskills like Shadow Bite or Swift Edge. In EOIV, unlike in 1-3, changing positions in battle doesn't take your character's turn. This can get tedious but it's a feature you can really take advantage of.

l1opuxZ.jpg

EO isn't so much about "the right way" or "the wrong way" but what works for bosses and don't get you killed. More "why and how" rather than "what and when".

Lemme give you a taste: that sword 'n board guy? Sometimes, he's best in the back row taunting under certain combinations of party set ups and enemies. Yay EO!

spiritfox

EO isn't so much about "the right way" or "the wrong way" but what works for bosses and don't get you killed. More "why and how" rather than "what and when".

Lemme give you a taste: that sword 'n board guy? Sometimes, he's best in the back row taunting under certain combinations of party set ups and enemies. Yay EO!

Let's not forget the front row Arbalist in EO3 and front row Medic in EO1 and EO4. Sometimes things just work out like that.

Dice

Yeah I just got a taste of the battles doing the thing to get certified. Lvl4 now and saw the skill trees and whatnot. This is gonna be gooooooood.

Just started playing this, had it since it came out but wanted to finish off Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers first. Only about 7 or 8 hours into it so far after a few days of play, things slowly falling into place. My original team was :
Landsknecht, Fortress
Medic, Sniper, Runemaster
Which did alright for abit but have decided to shake it up and am now going with:
Nightseeker, Landsknecht, Fortress
Sniper, Medic
Which with a Patch Up on my Medic seems to be helping me just grind away and get lots of loot very quickly.

Question for all, is there a way to carry more items, I keep having to make trips back to the city to sell stuff, there has to be some way to carry more items.

Also I really wish there was a Miiverse community for this game, be great to be able to talk to people who are also playing the game at the moment. Heck any of the Atlus games would be good to see a Miiverse of.

Ferrio

Banned
J
Question for all, is there a way to carry more items, I keep having to make trips back to the city to sell stuff, there has to be some way to carry more items.

Nope. Make sure you're not loaded down with a ton of equipment and items you're not using. Store them away at the inn I believe.

Ferrio

Banned
Can you only store like 10 items at the Inn?

Overall don't worry about keeping stuff around. Equipment goes outta style really quickly, all other items should be sold (unless for a quest, but even then stuff is easy to get back). Any high worth buffs/healing items might wanna be stored.

Dice

Damnit that bear ran away just because I was whooping its ass. This dungeon is so massive with such a high encounter rate I'm only gonna level up a couple more times going back down there to fight it again.

Anteo

Pretty sure you can get to the B2F entrance with only one encounter
And by using the shortcuts in B2F, 1-2 encounters to get to B3F.

Ferrio

Banned
Damnit that bear ran away just because I was whooping its ass. This dungeon is so massive with such a high encounter rate I'm only gonna level up a couple more times going back down there to fight it again.

Get used to popping in and out of dungeons.

Best thing to do is when you find a shortcut, open it up and go back to town. No need to press your luck, and since the shortcut is open you can get back to where you were quickly.

There's always shortcuts that make it pretty easy to get to a boss without fighting much.

Top Bottom