• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

tuffy

the bucaneer, the prince, the Wildling, etc, cool jobs that were actually fun to use.
Except that once you built a Gladiator with Warrior Might and fed him with Shuccaneers with hits to chase, there wasn't much reason to build anything else. The math is just too good.

IV's classes may be more bland, but it's a much better balanced game with a lot more viable party strategies.

sphinx

the piano man
Except that once you built a Gladiator with Warrior Might and fed him with Shuccaneers with hits to chase, there wasn't much reason to build anything else. The math is just too good.

you can do that in EOIV with the nightseeker and the poison or the Imperial and any of the drives. Upgrade those and you can casually cruse through the game.

IV's classes may be more bland, but it's a much better balanced game with a lot more viable party strategies.

not only classes were more bland but also the bosses.

In EO3 many were downright deadly and hard as fuck. the dragons, the final boss, etc.

tuffy

you can do that in EOIV with the nightseeker and the poison or the Imperial and any of the drives. Upgrade those and you can casually cruse through the game.
The whole point is that EOIV has more than one viable strategy to make a party that obliterates everything, because there's a lot of different setups that work well together. Check out the "no chemicals" runs of the postgame boss and you'll see several approaches that all get the job done. It's a well-balanced game.

With III, the Warrior's Might chaser setup is so much better than anything else that there isn't much reason to bother. It's like broken Revenge Hexers all over again.

ohlawd

Can't run, nooooooo. the skills are set up as a list and not branching. kinda a pain. I can move around using the analog tho feels so good.

it's too bad I'm broke. My farmer team is weak and shit. Can't handle like 3 mobs before bowing out. I unlocked B2, yeah man I stopped when I saw the FOE. Iunno what is but it'll probably kill me

Can't run, nooooooo. the skills are set up as a list and not branching. kinda a pain. I can move around using the analog tho feels so good.

it's too bad I'm broke. My farmer team is weak and shit. Can't handle like 3 mobs before bowing out. I unlocked B2, yeah man I stopped when I saw the FOE. Iunno what is but it'll probably kill me

I had 10 Farmers, 5 of them were leveling with the passive skill while the other 5 were only useful for the first levels(I deleted them afterwards), I just ran to a gathering spot, gathered with all of them and then had one of them use to skill to get out of the dungeon.

About the Skill list stuff, that was way better in IV but that was how the series worked before.

spiritfox

I had 10 Farmers, 5 of them were leveling with the passive skill while the other 5 were only useful for the first levels(I deleted them afterwards), I just ran to a gathering spot and and one of them had the skill to get out of the dungeon.

About the Skill list stuff, that was way better in IV but that was how the series worked before.

Farmers have the ignore encounters skill, which is very important for farming runs. You can wait until you get to the Deep City before you start farming runs, in the meantime just let them get xp in the guild hall.

Farmers have the ignore encounters skill, which is very important for farming runs. You can wait until you get to the Deep City before you start farming runs, in the meantime just let them get xp in the guild hall.

yeah, I'm just saying that for early levels you can pretty much run and use the "Ariadne thread" skill when you're done gathering, pretty easy money for early levels.

I LOVED the XP skill, it's the only game in the whole series that had me have more than 5 Guild Members.

Anteo

Oh yeah, in 3 and prior FOE's are just orange balls of death.
Also, the exp skill is too good, you can get new units a lot faster, and there is the Scylla rng manipulation too.
I used that to get a Ninja to higher levels, and then send her to solo every boss afterwards, she was too good.

Edit: So guys, in spoiler tags about the story of EOIII
which path did you choose?

I went with the Abyssal King, it didnt make sense to reveal everything to everyone when the deep ones feed on fear. And fighting the princes felt like the right choice, she was one of them even if she did it just to see her brother again.

ohlawd

aww yeah I'm not touching those spoiler tags ;)

argh man average party level is like 6. Got a Princess/Gladiator/Hoplite/Monk/Zodiac

I'm thinking of getting rid of the Monk for an Arbalist because why use healing skills when I can just use items. Problem is she's lvl 2 (I registered all classes with Combat Study) so she's far behind the party. Exp gain is horrendous, well no shit when is it not? What should I do?!?!

Anteo

So that princess is an offensive oriented princess? She could heal the party with some spells and the march thing that heals every time you take a step in the dungeon. Arbalist are cool but I would aim for a front row one.

Or you could go for a farmer as the 5th unit and get free stuff from the forest like I did, having extra heal from (B3F and beyond)
Camp points is great for these long runs at the dungeon.
. Btw, the Wildling can summon other units, so you can have your 6 man party, well 5 man and a beast.

ohlawd

naw, the Princess is my buffer, she attacks after she puts down attack/defense boosts. Gladiator is my main damage dealer, Hoplite is my provoke tank person, Zodiac well I save her TP for her spells because I never know when I might get screwed over by mobs she does pitiful melee damage but it is what it is, Monk is my healer with no points in her attack skills, she does some good work with her mace but it misses more often than I'd like.

I didn't think this party through lols. Tents are like 100 bucks. Can't afford that luxury; that's like me using 100 dollar bills as toilet paper :)

I'd like to farm but I can't do Safe Stroll yet. I need 5 points into Keen Eye and another point into SS. My Farmer has to be lvl 4 for that :x

spiritfox

naw, the Princess is my buffer, she attacks after she puts down attack/defense boosts. Gladiator is my main damage dealer, Hoplite is my provoke tank person, Zodiac well I save her TP for her spells because I never know when I might get screwed over by mobs she does pitiful melee damage but it is what it is, Monk is my healer with no points in her attack skills, she does some good work with her mace but it misses more often than I'd like.

I didn't think this party through lols. Tents are like 100 bucks. Can't afford that luxury; that's like me using 100 dollar bills as toilet paper :)

I'd like to farm but I can't do Safe Stroll yet. I need 5 points into Keen Eye and another point into SS. My Farmer has to be lvl 4 for that :x

You can just the Princess's heals until you unlock subclassing, then subclass her as monk for more healings. Then put your Arbalist in the front and Front Mortar the shit out of everything.

Also, you can (and should) put your Princess in the rear.

ohlawd

subclass talk already lol. I'm still on B2F

k I can make some decent money now. Still want that Safe Stroll tho. Takes me like two turns to run away. Ample time for one of my Farmers to die D:

ohlawd

can't.

the first three are my choppers (they get exhausted wtf), 4th is my rare mats, 5th is my teleporter. it's not a really big deal if anyone dies.

edit: don't wanna double post but I made it to B4F. This game is mad stressful. I seriously worry if the next mob will do me in. I got the new mission and I think it's the stratum boss. Scary stuff I don't wanna go back there.

ohlawd

thread dead but happy enough to double post :D

FUCK YOU KETOS. I BEAT YO ASS DOWN, MOFO.
I ended up restarting my file on the 14th or whatever, was faster of me to start from scratch instead of resting. I can subclass now woot.

Anteo

Ha, I was waiting for the next update. One thing about this game is that uses the Day/Night system much better than IV imo, I only recall one place where at night the monster encounters were sightly different while in III there are a few floors that have a more signigicant change.

I'm playing Untold Story mode, prob gonna bump the other thread later.

ohlawd

ahh okay. I want to retire my Princess and Zodiac but they're lvl 25 :(
I'm not looking forward to grinding them back to par though.

Killing all available FOEs isn't very fun tbh. Maybe I'll get better exp when I progress more out at sea and do the latest sea quests. I'm at the 3rd town. I think I should be at the 4th town already since this dude at the tavern keeps mentioning a cannon and Tortuga.

spiritfox

ahh okay. I want to retire my Princess and Zodiac but they're lvl 25 :(
I'm not looking forward to grinding them back to par though.

Killing all available FOEs isn't very fun tbh. Maybe I'll get better exp when I progress more out at sea and do the latest sea quests. I'm at the 3rd town. I think I should be at the 4th town already since this dude at the tavern keeps mentioning a cannon and Tortuga.

Go unlock Scylla and you can exploit her for XP.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/981313-etrian-odyssey-iii-the-drowned-city/56773018

Linkark07

Banned
Since the topic right now is EO3, what do you think of my party:

Front Line:
Hoplite - Buccaneer

Back Line:
Princess - Monk - Zodiac.

Princess mostly has those healing skills and Monk is focused on healing and reviving (especially since many monsters one hit kill someone from my party).

Have 5 farmers and the other classes on the Explorer's House gaining experience.

spiritfox

Since the topic right now is EO3, what do you think of my party:

Front Line:
Hoplite - Buccaneer

Back Line:
Princess - Monk - Zodiac.

Princess mostly has those healing skills and Monk is focused on healing and reviving (especially since many monsters one hit kill someone from my party).

Have 5 farmers and the other classes on the Explorer's House gaining experience.

You don't have enough damage output. I recommend you switch either the monk or princess out for a damage class and then sub the class you switched out to the remaining one later. M/P or P/M is the best healer/support combinations in the game, but having 2 is too much.

Linkark07

Banned
You don't have enough damage output. I recommend you switch either the monk or princess out for a damage class and then sub the class you switched out to the remaining one later. M/P or P/M is the best healer/support combinations in the game, but having 2 is too much.

Probably gonna kick the princess for the Arbalist. Gonna do some grinding.

Linkark07

Banned
I'd kick the Monk out instead of the Princess, an Arbalist would do your team pretty good no matter who you take out.

Yeah, added the Arbalist. That girl packs some damage.

The reason I kept the monk was because the revive spell is kind of important for me. Don't want to spend money on too many Nectars (although that keeps me low of mana).

Princess now is getting experience on Explorers Guild.

ohlawd

3rd Stratum boss done. Beat it first try.

That thing was mad fishy. "Entering blahblah stance" oh snap it might be a super move let's have everyone defend and Line Guard it up.

I sided with Armoroad
Sweet and frail princess or some random dude? Easy decision.
. Don't think I'll use the new class.

Anteo

Or a solo Ninja/Shogun... or Shogun/Ninja.

Also, I sided with the Deep City. Btw, the later part of the game changes a bit depending on this choice

ohlawd

so the choices do matter? Very cool.

New class designs are so slick. Ponytail vs snowflake hair accessory HNNNNNG. And a badass old guy
I'm too lazy to experiment in battle tho that's the thing

oh yeah the innkeeper. This happened when I was still in the 1st statum. I thought she was the cutest thing I've seen in a video game. Found out through she's a boy when I did that bottle quest. A really cute boy. Dreams dashed. Well whatever cutest video game boy I've ever laid eyes on.

edit: blindsided by this snake thing and it destroyed my party. Couldn't escape. I'm taking a break >_<

spiritfox

so the choices do matter? Very cool.

New class designs are so slick. Ponytail vs snowflake hair accessory HNNNNNG. And a badass old guy
I'm too lazy to experiment in battle tho that's the thing

oh yeah the innkeeper. This happened when I was still in the 1st statum. I thought she was the cutest thing I've seen in a video game. Found out through she's a boy when I did that bottle quest. A really cute boy. Dreams dashed. Well whatever cutest video game boy I've ever laid eyes on.

The choices affect the boss battles and the endings. Yeah, Endings.

Ending spoilers:
There are 3 endings, 2 based on the side you pick and the 3rd True Ending which is kinda convoluted. See here.

ohlawd

ahh I just edited :p

I'm gonna look it up. I'm not planning on a 2nd run for a long time. I want the best possible ending I can get. ohlawd's policy, section 3.16, paragraph 5.

Anteo

Hopefully you can still get the best ending, some of the choices you made as you discover the deep city can block you from this.

lol at the innkeeper. That was totally on purpose.

ohlawd

Hopefully you can still get the best ending, some of the choices you made as you discover the deep city can block you from this.

lol at the innkeeper. That was totally on purpose.
I'm still on track :D
I broke my promise with Olympia right after making one with her. It's morally wrong hahah but I did it anyway.

I also got items from the red dude and Olympia after reaching B14F.

I know, right? A smile so cute and his clothes are girly. How could I think otherwise?

spiritfox

I'm still on track :D
I broke my promise with Olympia right after making one with her. It's morally wrong hahah but I did it anyway.

I also got items from the red dude and Olympia after reaching B14F.

I know, right? A smile so cute and his clothes are girly. How could I think otherwise?

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly but isn't he a twin? with a twin sister or something.

ohlawd

I forget if they're twins or not but his sister also works at the inn as the nurse. I have a vague recollection that she's older than him.

Anteo

Well I already forgot these little details about the game.

After getting to the 5th stratum in Untold Story Mode, I find interesting that (EO III post game, related to EOU story mode, not big but gonna tag it anyways)
one of the npc cameos is a forest girl in a robe, you didnt take Kupala with you after defeating the 4th stratum boss in classic mode, so having her at the mansion wearing a robe in story mode.. its like a reference to the reference lol.

omlet

After getting to the 5th stratum in Untold Story Mode, I find interesting that (EO III post game, related to EOU story mode, not big but gonna tag it anyways)
one of the npc cameos is a forest girl in a robe, you didnt take Kupala with you after defeating the 4th stratum boss in classic mode, so having her at the mansion wearing a robe in story mode.. its like a reference to the reference lol.

Well isn't it pretty strongly implied that
Kupala dies in classic mode
?

I just recently got to the end of the 6th stratum in EOU doing Expert mode the whole way, man what a trip. Gotta say the
boss fight against Ren and Tghayhgyahgygwhatever
was amazing--caught me off guard but I managed to win it in the end on the first try. Dat battle music. So good.

Made it to level 99 before I could even finish exploring the 30th floor. Got curbstomped hard on several tries against Core, turned it down on normal so I could beat him just to see what his drop would give me
when I sold it to Shelia it didn't unlock anything lol
then started a NG+ on story mode to see what that is like. I will NG+ again after that to do a retired run of my original team and take another shot at beating Core on Expert. Such a grueling battle if you're not using super broken grimiore setups (which I wasn't because I'm not a big fan of the system).

mrsmr2

Holy Chest? Holy S*** more like. :)

I thought I was doing well until that point. Got it down to half health, feeling reasonably confident. Then BOOM!

ohlawd

woohoo 4th stratum boss down.

endgame spoilers
did the true ending thing too with the little alien kid

All set. This game is so good. So good.

ohlawd

3 is probably the best EO game overall, even if I liked 4's class balance.

I'll have to reserve judgment on which EO I like better until I finish III's postgame. Not a fair comparison right now; did everything there is to do in IV, barely made it to the surface in III. Can't wait to see what else the game is gonna throw at me.

For music, iunno. The only standouts for me so far are the Deep City daytime and Stratum boss songs. Maybe I need to get my ears checked :3

Anteo

I forgot, in the true ending, do they explain who or what is the leader of the deep city (same for the princess)? or that only happens in the other 2 endings and you have to put 2 and 2 together in the true ending.

You know after finishing my first playthrough, I actually didnt feel bad about killing the princess, yeah she wanted to see her brother but she became one of them in the process. So siding with amroad in my second playthrough didnt feel right.

re: community, we need more people =/

spiritfox

I forgot, in the true ending, do they explain who or what is the leader of the deep city (same for the princess)? or that only happens in the other 2 endings and you have to put 2 and 2 together in the true ending.

You know after finishing my first playthrough, I actually didnt feel bad about killing the princess, yeah she wanted to see her brother but she became one of them in the process. So siding with amroad in my second playthrough didnt feel right.

re: community, we need more people =/

I don't think the true ending by itself covers everything.
It's been a while, but the it only talks about the Deep Ones and their Prince. You'll need to play all the endings for the Princess's and the Deep King's stories

Top Bottom