• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

RpgN

Yes, Warped Savior (postgame dungeon boss) and Fallen One (postgame overworld boss) are both much more difficult than the last story boss.*

Warped Savior (normal) > Fallen One > Warped Savior (weakened) > Dragons > Story Boss

*In terms of stats and damage they are obviously stronger, being fights balanced for higher level parties. That said, story boss is a fight that can be the first progress-halting battle in the game for some parties without enough DPT, so for some people it might be that the situation your party is in when you first encounter the bosses makes the story boss feel quite challenging while first-time over-preparedness might lead to the postgame bosses feeling less challenging than expected. Also, the dragons, for example, are easy with resist gear/food--I'd say the ability to easily make their breath attacks a non-issue makes them even easier than the story boss in some ways, despite their high stats (you want more challenging dragon fights, try them in EOU on expert mode, lots of fun!).

As always thank you for giving all the relevant answers.

I'm not sure when to start on the post game content. Kinda need a very short break and some time to complete sword of mana.

omlet

As always thank you for giving all the relevant answers.

I'm not sure when to start on the post game content. Kinda need a very short break and some time to complete sword of mana.

Start with the dragons since doing the quests to kill them raises your level cap (10 levels, 10 levels, and 9 levels, respectively). If you can't beat them, maybe do a little exploring in the postgame dungeon for some exp to get your party closer to the level cap of 70 that is imposed until you beat the dragons. You can farm drops for some equipment upgrades and higher powered consumables around the first floor of the postgame dungeon.

omlet

Storm Emperor's Curse Howl is really annoying.

First two Dragons went down easily, Stormy however....

If that's the move I'm thinking of, all the dragons can do, I think. It is triggered by having too many buffs on your party. I think if you have 8-10 or more buffs on your whole party, there's a high chance it will use Howl. If you're using a Runemaster, don't cast elemental field runes to buff your party's resistance since that takes 5 buff slots right there. If you're relying on that skill to survive breath attacks, use resistance charms instead--combined with resistance foods you will be fine.

I had the same problem when I first fought them... resistance rune + dances + taunt + runic gleam + rampart = lolhowl'd :( Stopped using my runemaster's buff and was fine after that once I figured out what was triggering the move.

spiritfox

If that's the move I'm thinking of, all the dragons can do, I think. It is triggered by having too many buffs on your party. I think if you have 8-10 or more buffs on your whole party, there's a high chance it will use Howl. If you're using a Runemaster, don't cast elemental field runes to buff your party's resistance since that takes 5 buff slots right there. If you're relying on that skill to survive breath attacks, use resistance charms instead--combined with resistance foods you will be fine.

I had the same problem when I first fought them... resistance rune + dances + taunt + runic gleam + rampart = lolhowl'd :( Stopped using my runemaster's buff and was fine after that once I figured out what was triggering the move.

I believe it's only Storm Emperor does it. Just try not to get too many buffs on your party.

RpgN

Start with the dragons since doing the quests to kill them raises your level cap (10 levels, 10 levels, and 9 levels, respectively). If you can't beat them, maybe do a little exploring in the postgame dungeon for some exp to get your party closer to the level cap of 70 that is imposed until you beat the dragons. You can farm drops for some equipment upgrades and higher powered consumables around the first floor of the postgame dungeon.

I'll do just that, thanks for the directions :)

hoggert

And nearly a year after I bought the game; everything's done! First EOI've completed 100%. Not counting killing the post game ultimate boss
without chemicals... That would just take too much time man. Unless I abused QR codes, but it wouldn't be the same.

General thoughts:
  • While I'm not really a fan of most of the class designs visually (too bland after EOIII,) all in all, probably my favourite group of classes so far in the series. Loved how all the classes worked together and especially the skill trees. Gating skills by level 20/40 was slightly annoying, but with resting only taking 2 levels, it wasn't so bad. Some classes just needed those Tier 2-3 skills ASAP (Improved Link wooo.)
  • The changes to subclassing were terrific! EOIII had an amazing set of classes but the subclassing, in my opinion, removed the unique feel and play of each class. EOIV I felt fixed that to a point by limiting skills to half rank, but still made some classes obsolete.
  • The Sniper class is subpar (until post game.) Since EOI I have modeled my party after the classes a group of friends used when we played WoW, and with the exception of EOIII I normally kick the archer type class to the curb by the first stratum. I had high hopes for EOIV and was let down yet again.
  • Story was decent enough. Not quite at EOI/EOIII levels, but I liked how consistent it was even through the post game. Lore books scattered over the dungeons were a nice touch.
  • The main dungeons were kinda shit compared to past EOs. Golden Lair and B3F of the final dungeon were good, but the Maze levels were unimaginative. The Fourth Stratum I fell asleep during and the Fifth was just a slog. The caves were great though! Some really creative layouts and challenges... but ultimately too short and too few.
Favourite moments, mostly post game so spoilered even if it is a year old game:
  • After how annoying and sometimes luck-based the Fallen One was, I was not expecting to enjoy the Warped Savior fight. But goddamn! Figuring out the elemental rotation, getting the execution down and adapting for the occasional "Oh Shi-!" moments like when I didn't have Aegis Guard/Geo Impact ready to prevent it's status ailments were TERRIFIC. Most fun I had in the game.
  • The pumpkin trio in B2F of the Halls of Darkness. Fighting them was fun, especially three at once while trying to Formaldehyde them all at the same time, but their animations! The dancing around on the main map, in battle, and for the combo attack; just awesome, a shame they only show up in the second floor of a somewhat optional area of the very last dungeon and were probably missed by quite a few people.
Final party below if anyone's interested. Only character that was with me the entire game were the Fortress and Rune Master. NS is a 99 retire for a luck boost to go with a Bushi subclass. Probably should bench the Imperial for a Land too. EOIII or 7th Dragon next!
IFu6nGN.png

omlet

And nearly a year after I bought the game; everything's done! First EOI've completed 100%.

Grats!

As for subclassing, I really like the direction they went with it in IV. Yeah, in III it maybe felt like there was a little more to it, but honestly what that meant as a result was that the gulf between "broken" parties and "normal" parties was enormous. As you mentioned, the lack of cap on subclass skill investment really detracted from the identity of classes as main classes. I think EOIII was great as a first try at the concept but feel like EOIV really implemented it a lot better.

After almost beating Stormy, Wiglaf killed it on my next attempt. Not sure if I'm happy with that or not.

Haha, well, on subsequent attempts the NPCs will not help you, so you'll have plenty of chances to get your kills.

Anteo

So I just got back to the final boss in my new game +, I'm much much early in levels than last time, early 50s vs late 50s. The final boss just destroyed my party and I dont think I can do this with a different strat, I need some levels badly.

Also,
the Imperial prince, my god I didnt know (or didnt remember) he had an all party +1000 damage attack, he pretty much killed everyone in one turn just when he got to red health. My Bushi revived herself but wasnt enough as she died again next turn. For the next fight I saved the arm bind for later and focused on head bind to prevent his attack debuf skills, with that I managed to kill him pretty easily.

mrsmr2

Had a go at the Gourds. Killed the first one but after about a billion turns I decided I wasn't going to kill the other two so turned it off. I was practically out of TP then so I was never going to win.

omlet

Ha ha ha. Fallen One

I think I'll go away and level (a lot) more.

Yeah, he is definitely way harder than the other 3 dragons, try around level 80 or 90 and be sure to bring like 20 Therica A to the fight and you will have an easier time with him.

Had a go at the Gourds. Killed the first one but after about a billion turns I decided I wasn't going to kill the other two so turned it off. I was practically out of TP then so I was never going to win.

You need poison and/or untyped damage to get rid of them with any semblance of speed. Nightseekers, Runemasters, or Imperials. Origin Rune wrecks them.

hoggert

Try and kill the Flygourd (the green one) first - or burn down the other two before the Flygourd has chance to join (attack when they're doing that turning formation at a corner.) That heal is super annoying.

Man. I'm stuck. I've been traveling around the Golden Lair, both sides of it and I just can't progress. I was grinding for levels in the meantime and I haven't started the game up for a few weeks because of it.

omlet

Do chemicals weaken the pupa as well as the boss?

I think they might lower its damage output a little bit but they don't reduce its health or weaken it to the extent that they weaken the main boss. It only has 10000 HP and is mainly just there to give you some warm-up turns.

Man. I'm stuck. I've been traveling around the Golden Lair, both sides of it and I just can't progress. I was grinding for levels in the meantime and I haven't started the game up for a few weeks because of it.

Stuck how? Like can't find where to go? Or having trouble handling enemies in there? What's your party?

tuffy

The general idea of the Golden Lair is that you freeze the water on a floor by breaking the big hot scales with ice stakes, then make progress from the other entrance before the scale regenerates (which takes a few game days). The heat source scale for a given floor is much larger than the others and will be easy to spot.

mrsmr2

I think they might lower its damage output a little bit but they don't reduce its health or weaken it to the extent that they weaken the main boss. It only has 10000 HP and is mainly just there to give you some warm-up turns.

Thanks. It destroyed my party very quickly so wanted to see if this was a super version compared to the chemical'ed one. Sounds like I'm not ready.

omlet

Thanks. It destroyed my party very quickly so wanted to see if this was a super version compared to the chemical'ed one. Sounds like I'm not ready.

His attacks are physical and most hit the whole party or row. One of them does a defense down debuff. This is one fight where Full Refresh is good to have because of the debuffs. You can also get rid of it by using a defense buff to counteract if you can spare the turn for that, but my Fortress usually can't.

I'm not sure if your party has a Fortress, but I have always done the fight with one, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice about good ways to do it without one. I use Party Guard almost every turn on this fight...which means my Fortress gets the tar beaten out of her on every turn, but my Medic can top her up. It also means that my Fortress usually has debuffs on her, but better on her than on everyone. If my Fortress is not full health, I Line Guard instead since back row gets natural damage reduction and my Medic can Party Heal (though the Pupa phase usually leaves me time to put down 9 turns worth of binding circles from Arcanist sub and then coast on the healing from them for everyone but the Fortress).

If your Fortress is not at 90+ VIT, Party Guard may be asking too much of her without some additional buffs like Rampart (which, unfortunately, will probably get knocked off by a debuff anyway, but you can see if it works for you). I don't run a bind-focused party so I'm not sure what lockdowns you can do with binds, but Pupa is susceptible to status ailments (I usually use Releasal Spell on turn 1 to help with that); for example if you can Blind it then you should be able to dodge its attacks with ease.

Be aware that as soon as Pupa's HP hits 0 it interrupts and ends the turn and transitions to the main boss, so pay attention to turn order of your party and plan buffs accordingly so you can go into the main fight prepared, because any unfinished actions queued the turn in which the Pupa hits 0 HP are simply lost.

mrsmr2

I don't have a fortress.

Party is:
L/R 74; D 73; N/A 74
A/M 73; R 74

Will Guard Tango negate the debuff? EDIT: no, it doesn't.

omlet

I don't have a fortress.

Party is:
L/R 74; D 73; N/A 74
A/M 73; R 74

Will Guard Tango negate the debuff?

I haven't tried that but I don't think it will in the way you mean. I'm pretty sure dances are not treated like the normal "attack/defense up/down" buffs/debuffs that can nullify each other because they are buffs on the dancer that do something for the whole line. I think what will happen is you'll have the defense down debuff while still having Guard Tango being applied, so in that sense it would help counteract the debuff but not negate it as in remove it. Should be easy to test. I would myself, but I have EOU in my 3DS and I'm not at a stopping place at the moment and I think WS is still dead for a couple weeks in my game.

With that party, I'd recommend trying to stick Blind on Pupa ASAP. Turn 1 do Releasal Spell, Sand Throw, Guard Tango. Keep trying for Blind with N while L gets the link prepping done, then start unleashing. When you get Pupa's HP really low (like low enough to kill it in one more turn without N's help you need to have your N use Spread Throw so it's ready for the next phase as soon as Pupa is defeated. You'll see why when you get there, but what you do with the spread is up to you! (I like doing Poison but my team is 99 and doesn't have to play it safe against chem-weakened boss, heh).

And yeah, early 70s is.... too low for that boss. Especially with no Fortress, I don't think you will be able to survive his attacks with the amount of HP you'll have at that level. Try some FOE/boss hunting and try him at 85+ or so. Auto-leveling is a good option if you've finished exploring the Halls of Darkness and have killed all the good bosses/FOEs for exp and are waiting for respawns. I recommend Underground Lake, around the brazier in the center of the map.

mrsmr2

Thanks for the advice. I thought of Guard Tango because you'd mentioned Full Refresh so my train of thought led me from Dancer's Refresh to Guard.

But no, it doesn't debuff.

I hadn't seen Full Refresh before. Pity it's a single character buff.

Oh, yeah I don't know what to do. I past a short cutscene with some ninja guy across the water inside the golden lair but I can't progress any further. My levels are fine.

omlet

Thanks for the advice. I thought of Guard Tango because you'd mentioned Full Refresh so my train of thought led me from Dancer's Refresh to Guard.

But no, it doesn't debuff.

I hadn't seen Full Refresh before. Pity it's a single character buff.

You can make Full Refresh target a whole line with the adjacent Medic skill, uh... Group Therapy is the name, but it will be TP-intensive as a subclass skill.

Edit:
Oh, yeah I don't know what to do. I past a short cutscene with some ninja guy across the water inside the golden lair but I can't progress any further. My levels are fine.

Okay, so, once you see that scene you need to get across the water.

How? Freeze it.

How? In the center of the map is a giant cluster of red scales. Stab an Ice Stake in it.

This may take you several trips, because you might have to spend Stakes on the smaller scales to traverse the map. Hit up the chop points for stakes and go find the big scale cluster. Once you do that all the water on that floor of the dungeon will turn to ice and you can move across it.

omlet

I've never seen one but there is a comprehensive list (sticky thread) of conditional drops on the GameFAQ forums that I used while working on things I had missed for 100%'ing. Can find it here.

Kieli

I'm currently in Scarlet Pillars and there is this one dungeon I can't get to.

It's on the 2nd floor to the left of the geometric pole. It's guarded by the Godzilla thing that ate the sheep the first time you enter the Pillars. How do I lure or otherwise distract this thing to get in?

Or can I only do that once I progress further through the pillars (I've gotten as far as the medium being kidnapped).

tuffy

I'm currently in Scarlet Pillars and there is this one dungeon I can't get to.

It's on the 2nd floor to the left of the geometric pole. It's guarded by the Godzilla thing that ate the sheep the first time you enter the Pillars. How do I lure or otherwise distract this thing to get in?

Or can I only do that once I progress further through the pillars (I've gotten as far as the medium being kidnapped).
Remember that the big gator eats sheep, and that sheep eat mushrooms. So head up to where one sheep is bouncing back and forth on the second level and drop some food on the south end of his path. That'll keep the gator fed long enough for you to get to the cave.

Alright. Well I got past my stump. I figured out how to get to the third floor in the Golden Lair. I still never made subclasses for each of my guys. What do you guys recommend? I have a night stalker, healer, sword guy, armor guy, and sniper.

Edit : spoke too soon, just entered third floor, can't go anywhere else. I need to find a different set of stairs or something.

Linkark07

Banned
Alright. Well I got past my stump. I figured out how to get to the third floor in the Golden Lair. I still never made subclasses for each of my guys. What do you guys recommend? I have a night stalker, healer, sword guy, armor guy, and sniper.

Well, for my party my Medic was subclassed as Arcanist, Fortress as Dancer and Landsknecht as Runemaster.

I think the Sniper was subclassed as NS and the NS as... can't remember now.

Laconic

Banned
This game... so many good memories. It is the best EO. What other EO can you start out both Medic/Monk-less and Nukeless, and still wind up beating it with your original party? I went Fort, Lands, Dancer, NS, Sniper.

Ended up as Fort-Dancer, Lands-RM AKA Linksknecht, Dancer-NS, NS-Arcanist, Sniper-Arcanist.

Binds. ;)

Roubjon

Ok so I picked this up again after playing the Millennium Girl demo for 10 hours, making this my second long hiatus from playing the game. And wow I forgot how fucking great this game is. I'm at the fourth Stratum and just finished doing some quests and buying armor and upgrading guys and it's all SO BADASS.

I thought I was rich with 20,000en and then went and bought one piece of armor that increased my defense by 30 without looking at the price and all of a sudden I had no money. Now I'm sad b/c there are some awesome swords I want to give my Nightseeker so he can do MAXIMUM DAMAGE, but now I have to somehow get money again.

This game literally changed my taste in games and now I find most JRPGs so boring and uninteresting and drawn out and stale.

So yes, this game rules and is the best on 3DS. Can't wait for Millennium Girl to show up on Friday and play some of that.

Laconic

Banned
I find very little in gaming to be as satisfying as a nice clean fight in EO4, where my fort dances around successfully blocking everything for a couple of rounds, whilst my Links and Dancer run their preptime dynamic duo, and the back row tosses out a few procs, with the third round erupting into a lurid mess of stun and elemental chases and victory. Good, good times.

omlet

I thought I was rich with 20,000en and then went and bought one piece of armor that increased my defense by 30 without looking at the price and all of a sudden I had no money. Now I'm sad b/c there are some awesome swords I want to give my Nightseeker so he can do MAXIMUM DAMAGE, but now I have to somehow get money again.

Before endgame where you get piles and piles of money from farming bosses, the best way to get money is to hit up gathering spots as you explore. While you're leveling, invest 1 point into the gathering skills to increase your rare material output and you will get lots of cash from that. You can rest later and take points out of those skills because you won't need them by the time you get past level 70.

Linkark07

Banned
Going back to some EO3 talk.

Finally found some time and defeated the second stratrum boss. After that subclassing finally became available. What do you guys think of this party:

-Hoplite/Ninja
-Buccaneer/Gladiator
-Monk/Princess
-Zodiac/Ninja
-Arbalist/Zodiac

Kieli

In the third land, the Outland Count has a request to find out where the demonic voice originates from.

There's an initial "flag" in the upper-right hand corner of the map. However, the text says that the voice appears from below. The count also mentions something about altitude. I searched around that area along all 3 altitudes, but I still can't find where the source is coming from.

I would appreciate any help!

Anteo

In the third land, the Outland Count has a request to find out where the demonic voice originates from.

There's an initial "flag" in the upper-right hand corner of the map. However, the text says that the voice appears from below. The count also mentions something about altitude. I searched around that area along all 3 altitudes, but I still can't find where the source is coming from.

iirc its on the lowest attitude past the cave that is nearby.

omlet

Go down to the ground level in the corner near ("behind") the cave in the northeast corner of the map.

Kieli

Thanks, I'll re-check that area.

Also, I've been wondering, but do the "rare" FOEs do more damage the closer they are to dying?

When I'm fighting them, I'm doing really well the first half of their health. However, nearer to when they're dying, I'm noticing that the damage ramps way up. Like, by the time their health is in the red, they're doing 800+ damage to one of my characters or 400+ to 2. What the heck?

omlet

Also, I've been wondering, but do the "rare" FOEs do more damage the closer they are to dying?

When I'm fighting them, I'm doing really well the first half of their health. However, nearer to when they're dying, I'm noticing that the damage ramps way up. Like, by the time their health is in the red, they're doing 800+ damage to one of my characters or 400+ to 2. What the heck?

They get stronger every turn when they "glow" and it's not related to their HP. All rare enemies are like this, FOE or normal types.

Rare breeds grow stronger every turn.

Rare breed FOEs won't run away, grow stronger every turn, and have higher resistances to binds and ailments,

Anteo

The rare breeds are scary when you are underleveled, you pretty much have to force them to run or kill them asap or they are gonna deal lots of damage. It is pretty bad in Untold 5th stratum, where there are enemies that can bind you on turn one while a rare breed starts powering up and you cant even cast a spell to defend

hoggert

Wow, I never noticed that! Most likely due to not really engaging rare breed FOEs until my party's levels were high enough to farm them.

Finally. I figured out what to do. Now I'm at the boiling Lizard boss. In gonna finish up some questing first before continuing.

Edit: welp, took me 4 tries but I beat him. Time for a break from this game. resubbed to gamefly so I gotta play the hell out of some games before I cancel again.

I decided to finally play some EO4 again, as I want to 100% it, I hadn't really done much in the end game aside of getting to the 2nd floor of the last maze and doing every quest aside of killing the dragons.

I fought and killed the 3 dragons, which was surprisingly easy, but then the Fallen One made me his bitch. I already finished every other quest so all I have left is go down to the 3rd floor and fight the Warped Savior.

My current Team is(everyone is level 77 atm):
L/B D/N
N/A R/I A/M

Everything is going well so far.
Edit: Fuck Petrify

Anteo

Fucking all party petrify by 5 enemies on the same turn, not even a anti petrify charm helps. Poor medic is gone before he can help anyone =/

hoggert

Fortress.

And luck, but Fortress will help a ton. I prefer the Dancer's end of turn line status cure, but on B2F of the Sixth Stratum, a F with a decent speed stat will help a bunch. Just make sure to kill the Blooms before they have a chance to go apeshit after they open up.

Motherfucking Pumpkins.

I already defeated them but it's the first time I got killed off so easily by anything in EO4, even if they became easy when I figured that I had to fight one by one. I loved their animations.

Top Bottom