• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl |OT| B4 Fight & Heal, There Was Frederica

BbKAIWk.jpg:small

Official site: http://www.atlus.com/untold/
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (3DS) review thread

This is a remake of the original Etrian Odyssey. In classic mode, all the original classes return. What's more, for the first time ever, Etrian Odyssey Untold features both a classic and a story mode, which is selectable at the beginning of the game.

b206dcc84a46c4913ee49b4b4098281106d98e3c.jpg__620x350_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

In story mode, instead of naming your characters and choosing their portraits, they have already been made at the start, and there are cutscenes as well. The gameplay is still just like it has always been, with some additions like Grimoires and updated Skill trees. Otherwise, it's basically a remake of the original Etrian Odyssey.

The two new story classes are Highlander and Gunner. Highlander is a brand new class to the EO series, while Gunner makes a return from EO II. I've heard that if you finish story mode, you can play these classes in classic; however, I'm not sure at this time if you can actually create one of these classes.

"I've traveled across a thousand years to ensure we have a future..."

"We've received a request from a town called Etria. Show them a Highlander's justice!"

EO_classic_classes.jpg

For players who want to relive the original classic on the new generation of handhelds, there is a classic mode also. All the classes return from the original game.

Landsknecht is the sword/axe front-row warrior. Survivalist is the bow-wielder along with Troubadour, the buffer bard. Then Dark Hunters and Protectors specialize in status affliction and defense respectively on the front line. Medics heal. Alchemists use Formulas to vanquish enemies this time around.

Ronin and Hexer were the original unlockable classes, and they return in this game out the first of October.

There are 3 difficulties this time, up from two in EO IV. These are Picnic, Standard, and Expert. Each gets progressively more challenging. Easy, Medium, and Hard are the basic equivalents.

Everyone can choose how they want to play, depending on how much time they have, how long they want the game to last, how hard they want it to be, and whether or not they want to follow the story characters or make their own characters.

I hope this brings in lots of new players who either want to try story mode or are interested in experiencing classic for the first time around.

Price: $39.99 (Pick it up soon to get the Limited edition preorder box)
System: 3DS/2DS (October 14)
Release date in North America: (October 1)

cjkeats

Hype. I can already see this one on my GOTY list. 4 was amazing, but I would've liked more of a story. Now I got one!

I can't fully express my excitement for this. Loved the taste I got in the demo.

Zornica

Banned
still to soon...
beat the original EO this january for the first time
probably the hardest game I ever beat.

gonna sit this one out for a few years

Shengar

My wallet is NOT ready.
Too many games in October so I have to wait this one out rather than have my wallet bleed dry.
Subbed for future use though.

Guys, let's not make this a "RIP Atlus" thread, Etrian Odyssey is fucking awesome and even if this is the last game it was an amazing ride.

Eusis

Guys, let's not make this a "RIP Atlus" thread, Etrian Odyssey is fucking awesome and even if this is the last game it was an amazing ride.
If Atlus isn't dead already then I have hope they'll live long! Or at least through the first half of the generation before all of gaming outside of Nintendo becomes a mobile F2P post apocalyptic landscape.

Lumyst

I had no idea that this series was well received by critics (it looks so cuuuute too!) and I wasn't a big fan of Japanese games until this year so I've been out of the loop regarding these kinds of games. Maybe I'll get it as a gift for my brother who really really likes SMTIV (Rune Factory 4 owns my own heart though but I have a hunch that I'd like to try some of Atlus' games once I'm done with the Rune Factory series, and that in the meantime he'd like this game).

vareon

I had no idea that this series was well received by critics (it looks so cuuuute too!) and I wasn't a big fan of Japanese games until this year so I've been out of the loop regarding these kinds of games. Maybe I'll get it as a gift for my brother who really really likes SMTIV (Rune Factory 4 owns my own heart though but I have a hunch that I'd like to try some of Atlus' games once I'm done with the Rune Factory series, and that in the meantime he'd like this game).

Then this should be a perfect start!

Item Box

So is this a good place to start on the series? I've only played(and enjoyed) the demos for this game and IV

Not sure if I should get this with Pokemon so close though...

Eusis

So is this a good place to start on the series? I've only played the demos for this game and IV
It's an update of the first game so it's perfectly fine to jump in with this. Mechanics wise maybe II would be better so as to not spoil yourself, but if you want to be eased in that's not a great idea and you can always visit II after this anyway, or forget it and go to III or IV instead.

Anteo

So is this a good place to start on the series? I've only played the demos for this game and IV

Not sure if I should get this with Pokemon so close though. ..

Yeah this is a good place to start, you can choose between story and classic and there are many improvements compared to earlier entries.

Raquna is best girl, you all.

Just throwing that out there.

Also expert mode scales you to receive 166% damage and deal 66% damage to enemies so it should become harder the further you play into the game. Can't wait.

Anteo

Raquna is best girl, you all.

Just throwing that out there.

Aslso expert mode scales you to receive 166% damage and deal 66% damage to enemies so it should become harder the further you play into the game. Can't wait.

Oh wow. I just hope is balanced so it doesnt become a matter of grinding to overcome that.

Then again, for the veteran of the series, was anything balanced in EO1? =P

spiritfox

Depends on how you want to see it. It should be right in universe, right?.

Well technically Fight and Heal don't exist in universe :p but it's fine either way i guess. Just nitpicking.

Speaking about balance there's an item dupe bug in the game. Infinite Formahywatstitsnames.

Anteo

Well technically Fight and Heal don't exist in universe :p but it's fine either way i guess. Just nitpicking.

Speaking about balance there's an item dupe bug in the game. Infinite Formahywatstitsnames.

Fight and heal are a symbol that represent.. eh I got nothing.

Now that's interesting, wonder if it's still on this version, it will be fun to mess with it after the game is done.

It didn't matter because IMMUNIZE

So no balance! (It was a bug wasnt it? or an oversight I think?)

spiritfox

Fight and heal are a symbol that represent.. eh I got nothing.

Now that's interesting, wonder if it's still on this version, it will be fun to mess with it after the game is done.

It should still be in this version, you can do it in the demo.

Immunize was a bug due to how damage reduction was calculated. I forgot exactly why though. Not sure if it's fixed here.

Eusis

Boosted Immunize was the only thing besides level 5 Antis that allowed you to survive the giant fuckoff elemental spells.
So to get through the post-game you had to counter-break it? Yeah, guess EO1 really was faithful to retro dungeon crawlers.

... I'm morbidly fascinated to see how the original GI reviewer would've reviewed this. It DOES kind of address his most infamous complaint afterall.

Eusis

After trying a bit of Wizardry 8 it'd be kind of nice to see THAT format explored. Full range 3D exploration, with battles seeming to be a bit more like something like Chrono Trigger in regards to initiating encounters and positioning.

Draconian

Hearing about the difficulty level makes me want to give this game a shot at some point. I've wanted to try this series, but I've always been scared by how hard I've heard they are.

Watashiwa

Immunize was supposed to only affect elemental spells! The idea was that a Protector's Defender skill would do for physical damage what Immuzine did for spells, but they forgot to uncheck that box for Immunize, and forgot to put a set of parentheticals in place to ensure the damage reduction would be reasonable.

Top Bottom