• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl |OT| B4 Fight & Heal, There Was Frederica

I cant read that

Not sure why. It just says that it's unfair to make story and classic modes share a single save file. I agree, I just wanted to see what was new to story mode and now I'm stuck halfway through the game and don't want to start over.

ohlawd

"Etrian Odyssey Untold is in an impressive improvement of the original game but it's unfair to make the story and classic modes share a single save file."

I'm gonna wait for an eshop sale for 19.99 so I can do classic mode next :s

I wish I'd started classic to begin with. I tried it just to see the classes. I use the Landsknecht art as my avatar too, so I can't even use one in story mode. Not with the art. It costs half your levels to change, so I'm not doing that a lot either.

gunstarhero

After putting Zelda and SMT IV to bed, this series has been next on my radar.

I was a huge fan of dungeon crawlers like Shining in the Darkness, Shining in the Holy Ark, Phantasy Star, etc, and after messing around briefly with the Etrian IV demo a while back, this popped out to me because of the map maker and 3D dungeon perspective.

Anyway - now that I'm ready to buy, I'm confused as to which game to get: EOIV or EOU: Millennium Girl.

From what I read, they are pretty similar - except some writes ups suggest that EOU is more story/character driven.

Any opinions on what's best to start with and why?

Thanks!

I was a huge fan of dungeon crawlers like Shining in the Darkness, Shining in the Holy Ark, Phantasy Star, etc, and after messing around briefly with the Etrian IV demo a while back, this popped out to me because of the map maker and 3D dungeon perspective.

Anyway - now that I'm ready to buy, I'm confused as to which game to get: EOIV or EOU: Millennium Girl.

From what I read, they are pretty similar - except some writes ups suggest that EOU is more story/character driven.

Thanks!

EO4 is a better game and way better starting point, there's a demo for both games that is the beginning of the games, you can send the demo progress to the full game so check them out.

Anteo

Thanks!

EOIV or maybe EOIII but no reason to not go for IV

Ferrio

Banned
So after a huge hiatus I started up again. I was like 3/4th the way through the 5 dungeon when I had stopped... and was kinda lost on wtf I was doing when I came back. Took a bit but it came back to me. The boss was sorely underwhelming, the random encounters on the floor gave me 10x more trouble than him... was a pity. Oh well onto the next floor to see what the extra dungeon has to offer me.

Edit: Party was (and has been through the whole game)

Dark Hunter, Ronin
Troubadour, Alchemist, Hexer

edit 2:

Fuck........

a teleporting dungeon...

fuck.

RangerBAD

So after a huge hiatus I started up again. I was like 3/4th the way through the 5 dungeon when I had stopped... and was kinda lost on wtf I was doing when I came back. Took a bit but it came back to me. The boss was sorely underwhelming, the random encounters on the floor gave me 10x more trouble than him... was a pity. Oh well onto the next floor to see what the extra dungeon has to offer me.

Edit: Party was (and has been through the whole game)

Dark Hunter, Ronin
Troubadour, Alchemist, Hexer

edit 2:

Fuck........

a teleporting dungeon...

fuck.

I recently came back to this game (Ys and 999 took priority) and I'm struggling with the 3rd Stratum boss. Trying to get this cleared away for the US release of Bravely Default. The party is level 40 with preset jobs in Story Mode.

chrono01

ATTN Canadians: Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl is now on-sale for $29.99 [with bonus CD/artbook] from VGP.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=21156

I placed an order myself last night. After having Etrian Odyssey IV, I felt I needed to have this one as well, especially considering I missed out on the original.

It's a savings of $10, but then you spend that on shipping, but even still, I was looking for somewhere that had the game [as well as the bonus items] in-stock, so I will take it!

KarmaCow

So finished the Story Mode after putting down the game at 4th Stratum boss back in November. Frankly is was kinda annoying, there are so many stretches with boss fight right after boss fights with tons of dialogue before each attempt. But it's done now, at least I hope. I'd like to be done with Story mode at this point but I'm unsure of what exactly is exclusive to it and what I can't get in Classic mode. Is there is detailed list because I want to make sure I'd at least like to attempt 100%'ing the game.

redcrayon

Thanks!
Having played through all of them, EOIII and IV are a much better start- they are far more forgiving in general, have fewer floors per dungeon, and also the subclassing system lets you cover holes in your party abilities, particularly healing, much more easily. Plus the boat/balloon exploration helps with the pacing, giving a nice break from the main task of dungeon crawling.

EOU has an option where you can play though with a set party, with cutscenes, or your own setup, and the story it uses (EO1) is pretty good. But all of them are 50hr+ games- I'd go with the one you can enjoy the mechanics of in the long term, and for me the increased party depth and skills that feed into each other over the classes and subclasses of the later games makes them much more interesting to tinker with along the way.

Having played through all of them, EOIII and IV are a much better start- they are far more forgiving in general, have fewer floors per dungeon, and also the subclassing system lets you cover holes in your party abilities, particularly healing, much more easily. Plus the boat/balloon exploration helps with the pacing, giving a nice break from the main task of dungeon crawling.

EOU has an option where you can play though with a set party, with cutscenes, or your own setup, and the story it uses (EO1) is pretty good. But all of them are 50hr+ games- I'd go with the one you can enjoy the mechanics of in the long term, and for me the increased party depth and skills that feed into each other over the classes and subclasses of the later games makes them much more interesting to tinker with along the way.

I was just about to ask this same question. Thanks for the response I will pick up EOIV. untold is on sale on the eShop right now though.

By the way, I finished my story play through a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it for what it was, basically a remake with new characters. I've started a new game "plus" with a few benefits of having beaten the game once.

I finally finished the Story Mode. The last boss is so cheap!

On my first try his second form opened with an instant death attack that instantly killed Simon. I didn't bring any nectars so that fight was doomed. On my second try he insta-killed Arthur and Raquna, despite her being equipped with a shield with 30% resist. I wasn't able to revive them while keeping the survivors healed, so I lost that as well. On my final try when I brought him to maybe 5% HP, he suddenly pulled off a move that made him invulnerable, and allowed him to counter any attack made against him for massive damage to the entire party. I hit him twice, so his double counter killed everyone except my main and Raquna. Luckily I was eventually able to revive everyone and finish him off, but that was BULLSHIT.

Now on to the post-game!

Roubjon

I was bored today and decided to dig into the demo I downloaded when the game released and I'm loving it. Just a question though, what's the point of Bursting? Also are grimoire stones essential to playing the game? I'm kind of confused as to how they work and such.

I was bored today and decided to dig into the demo I downloaded when the game released and I'm loving it. Just a question though, what's the point of Bursting? Also are grimoire stones essential to playing the game? I'm kind of confused as to how they work and such.

Bursting will increase the effectiveness of whatever action that character performs during that turn. In general, if you're using a skill, that will will be treated as having 5 more levels than it really is. I didn't really fiddle with the grimoire stones that much and I could still beat the main game.

Anteo

Bursting will increase the effectiveness of whatever action that character performs during that turn. In general, if you're using a skill, that will will be treated as having 5 more levels than it really is. I didn't really fiddle with the grimoire stones that much and I could still beat the main game.

To add to this, spells can go over their max level with burst, so you can have a level 10 spell (max level), and use burst to go to level 15.

Tovarisch

Finally got it, I'm so excited :D
B65UBY1.jpg

Roubjon

Been playing this nonstop since I played the demo and it arrived in the mail. I'm probably around 20ish hours into now and I'm into the second Stratum where
that dragon is shooting lightning at my face
. I think my favorite part is whenever the barkeeps says "Sorry kiddos, but I'm fresh out of requeS-TSS" That perfect pronunciation of that T and S at the end makes me laugh every time.

Lovin' it.

In the second stratum and I've kind of stalled out. I dislike the party the story mode saddles me with. If I play under the classic mode, will I get any of the Millennium Girl story?

Anteo

In the second stratum and I've kind of stalled out. I dislike the party the story mode saddles me with. If I play under the classic mode, will I get any of the Millennium Girl story?

Kind of, the story is a little bit different towards the end. Plus you never get to Gladsheim so that side of the story never plays out.
I was actually surprised when the story turned out to be different after playing classic, I expected the same story just from Frederica point of view

ohlawd

You're allowed to reclass your party in story mode.

I think you have to be lvl 30 though.

Keep in mind that they'll keep their base stats, so your main, for example, will still have the stats of a Highlander even if he is another class.

Not a problem. Just as long as I'm able to finally experiment with different styles of game play. Is it level based at 30 or story based progression?

Anteo

Well, I came back to untold finished the story mode just now (went with classic first)
Some thoughs, the first part was very enjoyable thanks to the passive skills that regenerated HP/TP, but then I had this fight on the new dungeon, cant rember the name of the boss but it destroyed me so I had to respec. After that it was a little less fun but still nice.

For Visil, I had some problems with my build, it was too focused on Normal Attacks + Crits + Action Boost for Federica so it didnt work that well. Rested again and got Inmunize and Defender plus some binds for Ricky and it worked perfeclty.

MIKE was a super fun fight really, except for the stupid spell that returns your spells or something, got hit for 300+ and got a full party ko. Second time I made some mistakes on the fight and ended it with only Simon alive, getting the win after 2 turns of auto attacks (and Simon evading hits like madman)

I wish the game stopped there, the fight with the core was easy and felt like a repeat of Visil fight, for some reason when I tried it yersterday the virus only took 1/4 of the core lifes away, but today it took 3/4. Cant understand why, I reseted the game to check if I somehow was playing Casual but nope, still on expert. Didnt like the way how they just throw you to the 6th stratum with no encounters and all that.

The ending itself is paced badly, didnt like it at all really. Well that's all I guess, back to classic mode for me!

Finally reaching the end of the fifth stratum. And ugh. Literally no way out but to grind some gear and/or levels it seems because I flat out cannot survive hits from the mantises. As far as I can tell,
at least one is mandatory

I remember being frustrated with III but I don't remember ever needing to flat out grind to victory. Seems like the best strategy in this game (probably because of floor jump tbh). That and the blue mage emphasis have left me pretty disappointed.

But at the same time, I feel like I am a really high level. Probably just terrible.

Edit: Just wanted to say that every FOE in the Fifth Stratum can be dodged. The last dodges were pretty fun overall, but require using battles to sync steps with certain FOEs to be possible. Would be more fun if the encounters in that part of the map weren't flaming bags of shit.

Roubjon

Yo!

So with all the Etrian Odyssey news that came out recently I started playing this wonderful game again.

I was wondering if some of you had some tips with how to spec out the Main character in story mode. I feel like so many of his moves aren't that great and I've pretty much focused on maxing out his attack skill, that base class skill that improves their attack, and Spear assist. I"m at a lost really with this dude.

And for Frederica I was just focusing on giving her Bind moves as well as the move that attacks multiple times and pierces through rows.

Arthur I gave him the second type of fire, ice, and thunder magic.

Healer I just gave him healing magic and maxed out his refresh skill so status ailments can go fuck off.

And then the Armor chick with red hair was given just a bunch of DEF buff moves for her and the party as well as provoke.

I forget that this thread exists, remember that there's a community thread now and you can post whatever in there.

Anyways, it's kind of a High level build but it should give you an idea of what I did with the Highlander against bosses, this was my build:

Spear Mastery - 10/10
Long/Draining/Legion Thrust - 1/10
Head Pierce - 1/10
Spear Assist - 10/10
Delayed Charge - 10/10
Cross Charge - 10/10
ATK Up -3/10
Bloodlust - 10/10

Now if you do this skill set up then here's how you will kill everything:

Turn 1: Delayed Charge
Turn 2: Action Boost
Turn 3: Spear Assist
Turn 4: Spear Assist
Turn 5: Cross Charge

skill priorities as you level up in case you're lower level:

1. Spear Mastery
2. Spear Assist OR Delay Charge+ Cross Charge
3. Bloody Offense
4. Passives depending on what you want: Bloodlust, ATK UP, HP UP, DEF UP, That healing upon a kill move

Roubjon

Haha, knew you'd reply on here even with the community thread. Thanks for the tips. Not really a fan of his class and kinda wish I just did classic mode honestly lol. But at thus point might as well complete story mode. I'm only level 26ish and am at floor 9.

It's cool that you bumped this thread to ask about it. I played Story mode my first time too.

I didn't even spend all my points on my Highlander. I'm kind of lazy about spending all my skill points. I put max Bloody Offense because it's a pretty good buff skill. Then I had 9/10 points in Spear Assist. I didn't max it out because it would make it cost more TP.

That skill Turning Tide is a nice passive that will give back HP when you kill something with the Highlander. It is decent with only 3 points in it.

I still have points left over so I think I will take a look at Mauricio's advice, and put some points into Delayed Charge and Cross Charge, which I've never even used.

I'm still playing this game, there is a lot of content in an Etrian Odyssey game isn't there? I still have items to unlock probably too and I didn't do the post-game in my first playthrough of Story mode. I'm playing Classic now in a new game+.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So, hey guys :)

Picked a cheap copy of this today.

I've tried playing the original Etrian Odyssey back in the day, but I think I wasn't in a hardcore-y mood then.

Should I start with Story mode, or would you guys recommend ignoring that one and going straight for the Classic one?

So, hey guys :)

Picked a cheap copy of this today.

I've tried playing the original Etrian Odyssey back in the day, but I think I wasn't in a hardcore-y mood then.

Should I start with Story mode, or would you guys recommend ignoring that one and going straight for the Classic one?

I'd recommend Classic Mode, but if you want a premade party then go ahead and play with the story mode party. The game is easier than the DS one and there's even an easy mode(I recommend playing in Expert if you want the real EO feel, the other 2 difficulties are a joke).

Most of the fanbase posts in the Community thread(link here), so visit us if you have any questions or just wanna talk.

Top Bottom