• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl |OT| B4 Fight & Heal, There Was Frederica

ys45

Getting this day 1 but it's going to my backlog

Since i played a few months ago EO4 (80 + hours) I'm gonna play Rune Factory 4 first and then this one .

If Ys: Memories of Celceta does not get released first that is :p

This is obviously day one for me...I might need to finish EO3 first though. And Class of Heroes 2. But I sure hope that this isn't the end. That only leaves me with Kickstarters and Ys: Memories.

As for Wizardry IV, I wouldn't mind it as a spin-off but at least make it a fair experience unlike that game. (although a guarantee of extra difficulty wouldn't a bad thing though XD)

Kazerei

Banned
Anything else the OP needs? More screenshots or something?

More Raquna

EvZomye.png

CGXfERI.jpg

Pisses me off you can't have those two classes in classic without beating story first.
Yeah... I guess classic is just like a real remake. The skills are all redone and everything. The story mode is where you play those.

Here's how I built my highlander in the demo
BU8ijVnCIAE_xhw.jpg:small

Ferrio

Banned
So what's with the girl you guys are all hung up on? I couldn't take more than 5 minutes of the voices.

I just can never get into the mapping parts of these games :(

the combat and skill trees are stuff i'd dig but alas.

I love the mapping, nothing hard about it.. especially if it has auto mapping going on. Only thing I hate is drawing a wall where the really wasn't one... god I was stuck in dungeon 3 for quite awhile in IV.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
The mapping is even simpler in this version because you can go into the options and turn it to full auto mapping which also places all the walls for you.

I continue to be torn between story and classic. I will probably suffer through story so that I can play around with the new highlander class.

Hubb

Yeah... I guess classic is just like a real remake. The skills are all redone and everything. The story mode is where you play those.

Here's how I built my highlander in the demo
DHeqTSFTDp

If we can get any confirmation on unlocking the classes that would be great. I did a quick google and didn't find anything. I'd probably go through story mode first if that was the case instead of just skipping to classic.

EDIT:http://www.rpgamer.com/games/etrian/etrian1re/reviews/etrian1restrev1.html

This review mentions that you need to beat story and then you can import your party into classic to get the new classes. it is towards the end

"After completing Story Mode, the Atlus-made party can be imported into a new Classic game. Otherwise the new highlander and gunner classes do not seem to be available in Classic. Grimoire stones, the labyrinth improvements, and everything else are, though."

tuffy

If we can get any confirmation on unlocking the classes that would be great. I did a quick google and didn't find anything. I'd probably go through story mode first if that was the case instead of just skipping to classic.
As I understand it, although the two classes are unlocked after beating story mode, you can't create all new characters in those classes; you have to "transfer" an existing character to that class and the character's portrait doesn't change. It's basically a way to use those skill trees in classic mode rather than being a proper class with portraits and whatnot.

KarmaCow

I asked this in the other thread but are there any items or enemies specific to Story mode? I ask because I wanted to complete the compendium and having stuff being completely missable because they only appear in say the Story mode exclusive dungeon would annoy me.

Hearing about the difficulty level makes me want to give this game a shot at some point. I've wanted to try this series, but I've always been scared by how hard I've heard they are.

It really isn't that difficult. Most people are just intimidated by the first floors but even after the first stratum/world the game becomes very manageable. The key is that at that point, you start to actually have skills exploit enemy weakness or disable their attacks. Enemies can still wreck your party but now you actually have the tools to do more than weather their attacks.

Passing, the new things are largely meaningless to me.

Hearing about the difficulty level makes me want to give this game a shot at some point. I've wanted to try this series, but I've always been scared by how hard I've heard they are.

It's pretty hard, but note the people talking about Immunize...you must find the easy in EO, as it won't find you, and people aint used to that (more used to victory stalking them thruout the game instead). It's one of the reasons I'm warning you off of anything lower than Normal, that it robs you of that opportunity to be clever, adventurous, and victorious, and revel in it.

So to get through the post-game you had to counter-break it? Yeah, guess EO1 really was faithful to retro dungeon crawlers.

... I'm morbidly fascinated to see how the original GI reviewer would've reviewed this. It DOES kind of address his most infamous complaint afterall.

I'm of the opinion they were in the wrong job and hopefully found employment somewhere better suited for them and us.

I put 80 hours into EO4 and loved every second of it but for some reason I wasn't really feeling the Untold demo.
I've got it preordered and will definitely play it eventually but maybe I'm experience EO burnout after 4 already this year.

I got up to the last stratum in the original Etrian Odyssey years ago so I guess I'm just going to restart with this.

I also don't know anything about the story mode, but Raquna looks pretty best girl.

duckroll

I finally finished the demo today after mostly just playing it while I was queueing up for GTA5 on launch day. I think the production values and the story stuff is pretty neat, and the anime FMVs are a lot nicer than I expected, but I dunno about the gameplay. A lot of it feels designed around more casual RPG fans and it feels less like the EO I remembered loving. The fact that you can teleport to exits now after "clearing" a floor by finding both the entrance and exit totally removes all tension from dungeon crawling, and instead emphasizes progression over exploration. Kinda weird honestly.

I still haven't beaten EO4 anyway, so I won't be picking this up any time soon.

weevles

Well, there is also classic mode. Are the fast travels available there too?

I don't own any of the EOs and enjoyed the demo a lot, so I will be getting this.

Anteo

I finally finished the demo today after mostly just playing it while I was queueing up for GTA5 on launch day. I think the production values and the story stuff is pretty neat, and the anime FMVs are a lot nicer than I expected, but I dunno about the gameplay. A lot of it feels designed around more casual RPG fans and it feels less like the EO I remembered loving. The fact that you can teleport to exits now after "clearing" a floor by finding both the entrance and exit totally removes all tension from dungeon crawling, and instead emphasizes progression over exploration. Kinda weird honestly.

I still haven't beaten EO4 anyway, so I won't be picking this up any time soon.

Agreed and that's why I wont be using the fast travel. I really dont like that, while it rewards having a good map, it takes the tension as you said. Maybe to make it right battles should still happen or something

KarmaCow

Yea floor jumps kinda undercuts the whole feeling of a giant dungeon. Even if it only unlocks after finding all the shortcuts that you would normally use to skip through floors, there is still the problem that it lets you also quickly get to a safe spot if you say, get trapped by a FOE. Yea, I know you can choose not to use it but I prefer not having to play with one hand tied behind my back to get the most out of the game.

Is it disabled in the classic mode? It seems like it would nullify the point of geomagnetic poles which are already used for something else in story mode.
Nevermind, forgot the one-way ones were added in EO2.

I will probably be warping all over the labyrinth. The gameplay is basically the same as EO IV. The series is definitely not the same as it was originally though, which was super hardcore. It's gotten a lot more casual, I admit that, but it's still good, and I like it still.

zashga

Demo was pretty fun. The look and sound of the game are a nice upgrade from the original, and it's nice that they left in the original music as an option too.

I am a little surprised that the game features a silent protagonist. Somehow I imagined that they'd go for a more "modern" RPG approach when I heard there was a fixed party and out-of-engine cutscenes.

Not sure if I'll keep the voices on for the entire game. The little grunts and quips during gameplay are already getting old two floors in.

Roubjon

I'm planning on buying tons of shit this weekend. If I have any leftover funds I'll probably just use them to pre-order this. Realistically speaking, I don't think there are any games I'm looking forward to at all within the next couple of months, so I guess buying it shouldn't destroy my wallet or anything.

ohlawd

nice OT.

one week left. I should call in sick so I can play all day.

did not notice the drill hair chick for Classic HNNNNG I want her. I don't got time to play the game twice doe :/

nice OT.

one week left. I should call in sick so I can play all day.

did not notice the drill hair chick for Classic HNNNNG I want her. I don't got time to play the game twice doe :/

Thanks, I know I need to work on my OT making skills if I ever attempt to make another. Hah.

Ferrio

Banned
So as a person new to EO1... what were the least used classes? When I played 4 I played a pretty standard party.. I wanna do soemthing crazy in EO1.

So as a person new to EO1... what were the least used classes? When I played 4 I played a pretty standard party.. I wanna do soemthing crazy in EO1.

I guess everybody plays it differently. Wasn't Hexer bad in EO1 or something and then was one of the best in EO2?

spiritfox

Actually for EO1 the best party is a pretty standard party, since Hexer and Ronin are unlocked later meaning you have to grind them up from lvl 1, and binds were too weak so Dark Hunters were kind of meh. But they should be better now since binds are so much better and Hexer and Ronin are available from the start.

vall03

I see the same people posting back in EOIV thread here, guess thats expected lol

I guess everybody plays it differently. Wasn't Hexer bad in EO1 or something and then was one of the best in EO2?

My problem with the Hexer and Ronin unlocks back in EOI is that they came in way too late imo, so their usefulness in the later floors were kinda limited.

ohlawd

I see the same people posting back in EOIV thread here, guess thats expected lol

sup

good time as any, I suppose.

Post whether you're playing Classic or Story mode first.

ohlawd here, best poster in all the land and I'm stuck in Story mode but I'll try Classic later on if time permits me so.

Roubjon

Part of me wants to play through the whole thing on classic mode. I've gotten pretty attached to my team in EOIV and I think I'd miss that aspect if I go with story mode.

Ferrio

Banned
Actually for EO1 the best party is a pretty standard party, since Hexer and Ronin are unlocked later meaning you have to grind them up from lvl 1, and binds were too weak so Dark Hunters were kind of meh. But they should be better now since binds are so much better and Hexer and Ronin are available from the start.

Okay hrmmm...guess i'll just figure it out when I get it.

cj_iwakura

Downloading the demo now. I hope it starts at the 6th Stratum!

For those on the fence, who didn't play the original, EO1 is my favorite. Best story, best cast(for what it had). The remake should be even better.

Sadly I don't feel it's worth $40, but it certainly is if you missed it the first time(you monster).

Liked EO4 a lot so I have this pre-ordered. I want to play Story mode but at the same time I'm going to miss all of the added customization in Classic. So conflicted.

Anteo

For those on the fence, who didn't play the original, EO1 is my favorite. Best story, best cast(for what it had). The remake should be even better.

Sadly I don't feel it's worth $40, but it certainly is if you missed it the first time(you monster).

Why?

Most "remakes" are usually lazy ports and "HD remakes" that change nothing, few times we get something as awesome as a true remake like in this case. It's well worth 40 bucks, I'm already buying this game three times so it's well worth 120 bucks for me.

ohlawd

Most "remakes" are usually lazy ports and "HD remakes" that change nothing, few times we get something as awesome as a true remake like in this case. It's well worth 40 bucks, I'm already buying this game three times so it's well worth 120 bucks for me.
two carts and one digital? you crazy

I'd do digital + retail too if I wasn't already spending almost 300 bucks on games alone next month >_>

GeekyDad

Monsters look really pretty in this one. Diggin' the demo, but like most EO games, I doubt I'll buy it. They just don't hold my attention for long. Great dungeon crawling, but even with the "story mode," there just isn't a story and/or lore I'm interested in. And the music in these games never helps. It's like lounge-lizard music. Weird in an RPG.

spiritfox

Monsters look really pretty in this one. Diggin' the demo, but like most EO games, I doubt I'll buy it. They just don't hold my attention for long. Great dungeon crawling, but even with the "story mode," there just isn't a story and/or lore I'm interested in. And the music in these games never helps. It's like lounge-lizard music. Weird in an RPG.

There is a surprising amount of story in the games, especially later on as you get to the lower Strata. And any gaps I can happily fill it up with my own theories and imagination. It's better than the throwaway anime-esque chatter they are filling up the story mode with.

And don't you go badmouthing Yuzo Koshiro. Or the FOEs will get you.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I asked this in the other thread but are there any items or enemies specific to Story mode?
I believe yes. I saw somewhere, for example, that the best weapon can only be acquired via story mode for whatever reason. There is a story-only side dungeon and there are probably monsters/drops that you can't see in classic. I don't know the details, but I know there is story exclusive stuff.

Top Bottom