• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl |OT| B4 Fight & Heal, There Was Frederica

Anteo

Nope, you do unlock the classes, but you can't simply register them. You can only re-class a character into them. For instance, I created a dark hunter who I can now re-class as either a highlander or gunner. She will keep the art of the dark hunter, but she will change class.

As for the main reason I think you should play Story mode first, well, it's good. The added story content and characters are pretty cool, you get to explore Gladsheim, and you unlock the movies for view in the theater thing. I think Story mode is well worth it, but most folks disagree.

That's what I said. You can reclass into that class, but reclassing do not change your growths/base stats, so you will get a highlander with dark hunter stats.

Laconic

Banned
...is the Golem's conditional drop percentage based? Because I killed it with Head Pierce, when it was at half health, and did not get the rare drop. :/

Hugstable

Banned
Finally starting up my game and I decided to go with classic. I went with Defender, Ronin, Hex, Alch, and Trubby. Should I be going with both Defender and Ronin in the front and the other 3 in the back? Got some skills in and equipment bought, it's time to go exploring! ... and probably die

Edit: Okay I'm level 3 and just got rocked by some Venomous Flies or something. I'm noticing that each skill takes 10 points to max and i'm confused as to what I should be putting points into. If I'm only getting 1 skill point per level I would only be able to max like 6 or 7 skills, so I'm guessing that I'm not supposed to max the skills at all? Except for maybe essential ones?

So far I've put on Protector: Def Up 1/10, Shield Mastery 1/10 (Which gave me Front and Rear Guard 1) I still have 2 skill points with him I don't know what I should be focusing on with so many skills.

My Ronin: Katana Mastery 3/10 (Slantwise Cut 1 came with it) and I put 1 point in Mine with 1 point leftover.

Alch: Formula Mastery 1/10 with Fire Formula 2/10 (others still at 1). 1 point in Chop. 2 point leftover

Hexer: Curse Mastery 2/10, Sapping Curse 1/10, Frailty Curse 2/10, Deceit Curse 1/10, TP up 1/10. No skill points leftover (so useful so far)

Trouby: Sony Mastery 1/10 (warrior and Shelter song 1/10 come with it), HP up 3/10, Take 1/10. No Skill point leftover right now. I was aiming for the healing skills which is why I went for the quick HP ups. Good idea or bad?

I don't need a detailed skill build or anything, just advice on what skills I should focus on with points or how I should be spending the points, knowing that there are so many skills and each take 10 skill points to master.

Anteo

Finally starting up my game and I decided to go with classic. I went with Defender, Ronin, Hex, Alch, and Trubby. Should I be going with both Defender and Ronin in the front and the other 3 in the back? Got some skills in and equipment bought, it's time to go exploring! ... and probably die

Edit: Okay I'm level 3 and just got rocked by some Venomous Flies or something. I'm noticing that each skill takes 10 points to max and i'm confused as to what I should be putting points into. If I'm only getting 1 skill point per level I would only be able to max like 6 or 7 skills, so I'm guessing that I'm not supposed to max the skills at all? Except for maybe essential ones?

So far I've put on Protector: Def Up 1/10, Shield Mastery 1/10 (Which gave me Front and Rear Guard 1) I still have 2 skill points with him I don't know what I should be focusing on with so many skills.

My Ronin: Katana Mastery 3/10 (Slantwise Cut 1 came with it) and I put 1 point in Mine with 1 point leftover.

Alch: Formula Mastery 1/10 with Fire Formula 2/10 (others still at 1). 1 point in Chop. 2 point leftover

Hexer: Curse Mastery 2/10, Sapping Curse 1/10, Frailty Curse 2/10, Deceit Curse 1/10, TP up 1/10. No skill points leftover (so useful so far)

Trouby: Sony Mastery 1/10 (warrior and Shelter song 1/10 come with it), HP up 3/10, Take 1/10. No Skill point leftover right now. I was aiming for the healing skills which is why I went for the quick HP ups. Good idea or bad?

I don't need a detailed skill build or anything, just advice on what skills I should focus on with points or how I should be spending the points, knowing that there are so many skills and each take 10 skill points to master.

As a rule, most skills have a big increase in damage/%effect at half level and max (5 and 10), at the same time at both levels they increase in tp cost a lot, maxing a skill early can mean that your guys wont be able to use them more than 3/4 times per run, so I recomend you to go for level 4/5 at first (depending on the mana pool of your character) but max them in the long run.

And yes, you are not supposed to max everything. Eventually you will have to give up on some stuff. Some recomendations:

For the Protector, try to get skills that reduce the damage in the front line, so they can survive longer.

For the roning, Slantwise Cut is good at level 1 and allows you to acces the stance moves without commiting to a stance, try to go for the area stance skill like Flame Grater, Lighting Stab and Frigid Slash, at least one level in each. Flame Grater is great early in the game at level 1, deals lots of damage to a full line of enemies, the others will be useful a little later, so is a good idea to open them up asap.
Also, get breath (req: HP up lvl 3), and put the ronin in the middle of the front line. He/she will heal your front line early in the game until the troubador can heal them too. Oh and you can move the roning to the middle of the back row and use heal in the same turn in case things are getting out of hand, next turn move him/her to the front and attack.

For the Alch, generally for magic users I go for Tp up so they can cast spells for a long time, most of the time I had to go back to the inn when the mage became dead weight, even though everyone else could still fight. Since most enemies and bosses from the first floors do not have higher resistence for magic, one point of fire should be enough until you max the tp up. The most important thing about this is that your most important source of magic damage can last a few turns longer vs bosses.

The hexer will be dead weight for a while, but will become amazing later.

For the troub: Havent tried the HP up skill, but in previous games it added HP to your max without healing it, so if your character was at 50/120 it would make it 50/200. Usefull when used with regenerate or Healliong lullaby but useless by itself. Try to get Healing lullaby asap, since you dont have any dedicated healer. After that is a matter of choice between dealing more damage or being a little bit more tanky with Warrior/Shelter song

Remeber you can reset all your Skillpoints at the cost of two levels at the Explorers Guild

Hugstable

Banned
As a rule, most skills have a big increase in damage/%effect at half level and max (5 and 10), at the same time at both levels they increase in tp cost a lot, maxing a skill early can mean that your guys wont be able to use them more than 3/4 times per run, so I recomend you to go for level 4/5 at first (depending on the mana pool of your character) but max them in the long run.

And yes, you are not supposed to max everything. Eventually you will have to give up on some stuff. Some recomendations:

For the Protector, try to get skills that reduce the damage in the front line, so they can survive longer.

For the roning, Slantwise Cut is good at level 1 and allows you to acces the stance moves without commiting to a stance, try to go for the area stance skill like Flame Grater, Lighting Stab and Frigid Slash, at least one level in each. Flame Grater is great early in the game at level 1, deals lots of damage to a full line of enemies, the others will be useful a little later, so is a good idea to open them up asap.
Also, get breath (req: HP up lvl 3), and put the ronin in the middle of the front line. He/she will heal your front line early in the game until the troubador can heal them too. Oh and you can move the roning to the middle of the back row and use heal in the same turn in case things are getting out of hand, next turn move him/her to the front and attack.

For the Alch, generally for magic users I go for Tp up so they can cast spells for a long time, most of the time I had to go back to the inn when the mage became dead weight, even though everyone else could still fight. Since most enemies and bosses from the first floors do not have higher resistence for magic, one point of fire should be enough until you max the tp up. The most important thing about this is that your most important source of magic damage can last a few turns longer vs bosses.

The hexer will be dead weight for a while, but will become amazing later.

For the troub: Havent tried the HP up skill, but in previous games it added HP to your max without healing it, so if your character was at 50/120 it would make it 50/200. Usefull when used with regenerate or Healliong lullaby but useless by itself. Try to get Healing lullaby asap, since you dont have any dedicated healer. After that is a matter of choice between dealing more damage or being a little bit more tanky with Warrior/Shelter song

Remeber you can reset all your Skillpoints at the cost of two levels at the Explorers Guild

Yeah I just reset them a bit earlier since I realized I got Barbaric March Confused for a healing skill when it's really an HP+ skill lol. I think I should probably just be putting points in to get to Echoing Rondo quick since it takes 7 skill points to get there. Plus Echoing Rondo leads to Healing Lullaby which sounds like a true healing/regen spell.

Also you mentioned having the Ronin in the middle of the front row. Should I be having 3 in the front? Right now I only have Protector and Ronin up there with Hex, Troub, and Alch in the back

Anteo

Yeah I just reset them a bit earlier since I realized I got Barbaric March Confused for a healing skill when it's really an HP+ skill lol. I think I should probably just be putting points in to get to Echoing Rondo quick since it takes 7 skill points to get there. Plus Echoing Rondo leads to Healing Lullaby which sounds like a true healing/regen spell.

Also you mentioned having the Ronin in the middle of the front row. Should I be having 3 in the front? Right now I only have Protector and Ronin up there with Hex, Troub, and Alch in the back

Oh I asumed you would put the troub in the front row (since ther ronin is pretty weak) to spread the damage and have less chance for the enemies to target it. You dont have to do it, a 2-3 formation means 3 characters are protected in the back row (they takes less damage if targeted, but is not that common for monsters to attack the back unless they use spells) but the front row cant spread the damage as much, and you have a glass cannon on the front which may or may not get killed in one turn since there are only two targets there.

I would go for a 2-3 using a Landschknet, they are more tanky. When I played EOIII, I had a farmer on the front row to spread the damage, and she wasnt even a glass cannon, she was just plain glass that had uses outside battle.

I'm playing story mode and although I typically put three up front, I just have my Highlander and Protector there for now. I'm on floor 9. It might actually make more sense to play classic the first time because making your party is fun (and more customizable) and there isn't much story so far anyway. Only reason to be on the front row is to 'tank' or to use non-ranged weapons and skills.

Anteo

I'm playing story mode and although I typically put three up front, I just have my Highlander and Protector there for now. I'm on floor 9. It might actually make more sense to play classic the first time because making your party is fun (and more customizable) and there isn't much story so far anyway. Only reason to be on the front row is to 'tank' or to use non-ranged weapons and skills.

With my Ronin getting one or two shooted in the front row I decided to use a 3 man front row.
Then again I just remembered I'm playing in expert, so in other difficulties the Ronin may be just fine

Hugstable

Banned
With my Ronin getting one or two shooted in the front row I decided to use a 3 man front row.
Then again I just remembered I'm playing in expert, so in other difficulties the Ronin may be just fine

I tried out what you said with putting my Trouby up front and it actually has been working out very well for me especially with the Breath and Echoing Rondo Combo. Just took out the Red Mantis with no problem really just keeping everyone assigned to their roles.

I beat story mode today, yay.

I'm not sure I want to do the sixth stratum though, I've probably put WAY to much time into the game already.

Hugstable

Banned
3rd floor of the first stratum I started tripping out with the FOE sound going off as soon as I reach the floor. I dodge the one FOE and keep going through to a room with 2 and I'm still scared shitless running away. Got into a small room thinking I'm safe for the floor, and open up a door to not one, not two, but 3 of these lovely beauties. They did this on purpose didn't they. I went for the treasure and got stuck in a spot where I was cornered by all 3 with no way out. Ended up fighting just to see how it went, and learned that they actually weren't as hard as I thought... solo. Other 2 came in while I was fighting one and just destroyed me.

Ended up restarting from my previous save and now after finishing the first FOE in the first room, I walked into the second room to find one of the two FOE mantis being gold and shiny. I was able to lure the regular one away and beat him and then went for the shiny one. I know the shiny enemies give you bonus exp, but I didn't realize Shiny FOE's give so much, I gained over a level and a half! Went from level 10 to level 12 in one battle.

I'm enjoying this game alot so far. Also should I be spoiler tagging anything? I know where I'm at is still pretty early on.

Anteo

Yeah just spoiler tag whatever interactions with in game npc's or stuff like the theme of a given stratum/floor.
The mantis could destroy anyone in my party with one attack as I dont have a tank and no way to taunt them so, I escaped.
The worst part is: Oh shit they are behind me, OH SHIT! The orb is getting red, random battle incoming! And then they move in every turn inside battle and catch up

Laconic

Banned
So I finally got to the fifth stratum, and as in the first game, there is a bridge fight. Unlike the first game, however, I get utterly wiped. It is pretty stupid. The ice is easy enough to deal with, because it is easy to see it coming, but the other multi hit moves wipe me out in one round. I haven't gotten a decent grimoire stone yet, and hate the idea of resting to get my guys to be viable. But the enemy in front cuts through my ranks like cheap tinfoil.

terrisus

So, I've never played an Etrian Odyssey game before.
Would this be an alright place to start, or should I start with something else?

Anteo

Either this or 4 are fine. I'd recommend you to try Classic mode first if you pick this game instead of EO4.

Also there are demos for both this (story mode only demo) and 4 so you can try these out and import your save data to the game if you decide to like it.

The reason why I ask you to play classic mode if you pick up this game is cause story mode is unique to Untold and may not return for EO5 at all (we dont know yet, but it wont be surprinsing if it doesnt return). So you may want to try the classic feel of the series instead.

I went for the treasure and got stuck in a spot where I was cornered by all 3 with no way out. Ended up fighting just to see how it went....

I forgot to ask last time: You are using Ariadne Threads right? That is like, a must have for every time you go into the dungeon

terrisus

Either this or 4 are fine. I'd recommend you to try Classic mode first if you pick this game instead of EO4.

Also there are demos for both this (story mode only demo) and 4 so you can try these out and import your save data to the game if you decide to like it.

The reason why I ask you to play classic mode if you pick up this game is cause story mode is unique to Untold and may not return for EO5 at all (we dont know yet, but it wont be surprinsing if it doesnt return). So you may want to try the classic feel of the series instead.

Would 4 be better to start with then? Or does it not really matter?

Anteo

Would 4 be better to start with then? Or does it not really matter?

Both games have different stuff (but the basic mechanics are the same) so for example 4 has an overworld while untold is based on EO1 so it has a bigger dungeon instead.

I'd say flip a coin :lol either would be fine.

Laconic

Banned
My god, was that a dumb fight. I finally did it - took me two Nectar 2s, and a lot of luck. I spread the two stat effects out on Frontrow. First Paralyze, then Arm Bind. It was still a battle of attrition, even until Backrow's fall.

alice

It's my first EO game, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm playing story mode, because I'm used to RPGs with the story aspect, but to be honest I love the mechanics of the game so much that I plan to buy EO IV next.

Laconic

Banned
It's my first EO game, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm playing story mode, because I'm used to RPGs with the story aspect, but to be honest I love the mechanics of the game so much that I plan to buy EO IV next.

4 is even better, IMO. The subclassing is sublime.

Anteo

Well classic mode EO still has a story, it's just not character driven like the untold story mode. 3 has the best story imo. 4 was fine

eojoko

I'm very early in the game (story mode) and my characters just mentioned Grimoire stones. Said 3 or 4 of my characters had them. I cannot find them in my items or equipment. Am I being silly? What Grimoire stones is the game talking about? What is going on?

GeekyDad

I'm very early in the game (story mode) and my characters just mentioned Grimoire stones. Said 3 or 4 of my characters had them. I cannot find them in my items or equipment. Am I being silly? What Grimoire stones is the game talking about? What is going on?

You'll have to wait until you gain full access to your mansion before you can equip and fuse them.

eojoko

You'll have to wait until you gain full access to your mansion before you can equip and fuse them.

Okay thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something because the game also suggested I equip these stones that I couldn't find anywhere. Will keep crawling.

Is there any particular approach to Fenrir on Expert in story mode?

Oof, he gave me some trouble. I had to overlevel a bit and make sure I had the absolute best equipment.
Other than that it was just paying very close attention and using all my available useful buffs along with the flash bombs at the right time so it doesn't summon more wolves. I kept Arthur's MP up so he could spam Inferno and help kill the underlings that entered the battle. I used the Highlander and Frederica to bind its head and keep it bound so he couldn't use his nasty bite attack.

RangerBAD

Oof, he gave me some trouble. I had to overlevel a bit and make sure I had the absolute best equipment.
Other than that it was just paying very close attention and using all my available useful buffs along with the flash bombs at the right time so it doesn't summon more wolves. I kept Arthur's MP up so he could spam Inferno and help kill the underlings that entered the battle. I used the Highlander and Frederica to bind its head and keep it bound so he couldn't use his nasty bite attack.

What level is overleveled?

RangerBAD

You should be able to handle Fenrir, then. It's mostly a battle of consistency and paying attention. One mistake on a crucial turn and you'll have wolves swarming you which is basically a guaranteed wipe. :p

He was no problem, but had to beat him a few times to use formaldehyde for his conditional drop.

Laconic

Banned
What's the conditional drop for the Coeurl?

I do not believe there is one. None of the Ruin Bosses have them, I believe.

On another note: Guns with Penetrator on them equipped to Simon, coupled with his stat attacks are lolol good for hitting multiple rows.

Laconic

Banned
So. I have come to think, that, all other things being equal, a party of 5 Gunners with a handful of key skills via Grimoire stones would be the single most OP party composition in the game. Thoughts?

Anteo

So. I have come to think, that, all other things being equal, a party of 5 Gunners with a handful of key skills via Grimoire stones would be the single most OP party composition in the game. Thoughts?

You would need to find a class with stats close to Gunners, other than that it will work and it will be pretty.

Top Bottom