• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekajelly

wave.gif
Bye, bye France.
wave.gif

COCKLES

being watched
Awesome result for the Greeks!

France were just the same as they were against England...their finishing was woeful - even from the greats like Henry...and poor Zidane - not existant.

Infact it's funny how thus far in this tourny all the 'big names' like Zidane, Beckham, Figo and co who appear in every football ad have been medicore in the extreme.

England...Spain...Germany...France...Italy. The old guard are crumbling.

Alucard

Banned
I'm speechless. So far I'm 0 for 2 with my picks in these quarter finals.

It wasn't the most exciting game of the tournmanet, but Greece did what they had to do. I do feel bad for Zidane though.

COCKLES said:
Awesome result for the Greeks!

France were just the same as they were against England...their finishing was woeful - even from the greats like Henry...and poor Zidane - not existant.

Infact it's funny how thus far in this tourny all the 'big names' like Zidane, Beckham, Figo and co who appear in every football ad have been medicore in the extreme.

England...Spain...Germany...France...Italy. The old guard are crumbling.

Who's left? Holland?

cuccoo

DrM said:
do not forget Czech Republic.

czech wasnt really a football powerhouse though they join the top teams in 1996. A few players from that team are still here, more matured and experienced.

COCKLES

being watched
France just didn't look hungry enough. At least England had a desperation about them last night even in the bleak it's all over moments - this French team have been there - done that, It kinda showed in their football. Kinda like Rocky fighting Clubber Lang for the first time.

JMPovoa

Figo hasn't been mediocre! He has been showing throughout all matches how skilled he is and how hard it is to take the ball off of him. The problem lies there though. There are times where he just has to pass the ball a bit faster than he does to create unbalances in the opponents' defences. He's great when playing 1-2s with Nuno Gomes and he had a couple of crosses that were it Ronaldo in the Penalty area it would've resulted on goals. I just hope he lets crosses and Free Kicks for Deco. He hasn't been very fortunate there.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
wow I called the Greeks as the tournament shock team but even i didnt think they'd beat france, god damn i really should place more bets.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It was touched on in the English commentary, the greeks played like Leicester City used to under Martin O'neil (current celtic manager) when playing big premiership clubs. They just totally shut the game down, O'neil got a lot of flack for it too, its boring but it sure as hell works.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Ghost said:
It was touched on in the English commentary, the greeks played like Leicester City used to under Martin O'neil (current celtic manager) when playing big premiership clubs. They just totally shut the game down, O'neil got a lot of flack for it too, its boring but it sure as hell works.

They play German-Style ( boring and sober but efficient ) probably because Otto Rehhagel (the coach) is german.

Spike

I told you guys Greece would win, way back on page 2!!

The reason Greece is winning, the other teams underestimate them. They've got the Brazilian team's coach guiding them, and they're playing a tight game.

Bring on the Czechs!!

Would be funny to see a Portugal vs. Greece final. They started the tourney, imagine if they ended it.

cja

Maybe it was just the atmosphere in the stadium but the whole game just seemed flat. Greece were solid, the tactics, the work ethic, for most of the game they were comfortable and good on the ball. Worthy winners..

France... just dreadful. What happened to Lizerazu for the Greek goal? He just seemed to run into touch and stayed on the bench! It was a nice cross and finish for the winner but the amount of time and space was scandalous. I'm seriously not exaggerating when I say that wasn't professional football standard. Watching English Football Conference as I do from time to time there is no way a manager at that level would have accepted such woeful defending allowing the winger such luxury to find a man in the middle.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
France out! Absolutely awesome news.

Just got back from Portugal about 30 minutes or so ago.

Had an awesome time, but i`m now unable to speak due to screaming constantly through the Portugal v England game.

Had awesome seats - front row , just to the left of the portuguese dug out.

Anyways, the ONLY hassle i got in the entire two weeks there was off some cocky french guy with his french mates after being at the statue up from the centre (Marque de Pombal)

"You cheating English f*cks , you f*cks don`t deserve anything you f*cking pigs..." etc etc...
Quite easy to be confident when theres 10 of them and 1 of me ( i doubt the GF would have helped if it all kicked off), but it didn`t go beyond that.

The portuguese were fantastic and there was a real party atmosphere after both the Spain and England game and the locals made it a trip to remember.

Coen

Wow, Euro 2004 is shaping up to be quiet a surprising event. I seriously didn't expect Greece to beat the French, even though their game wasn't really up to standard. I expected them to win. I have feeling the final is going to be a re-run from the best match so far: Czech Republic vs. Holland.

DCharlie

front row seats were good - we also saw something a bit weird.

Scollari at one point interfers with which ball is thrown back in - not sure what it was all about but he made sure a certain ball from the Portuguese dug out came back in (which is illegal).

Anyone else catch this?

Not that it`s gonna affect anything! but interesting non-the-less....

In my opinion , England were ass after we scored. It was the worst thing that could have happened. Scoles put in one of the worst displays i`ve ever seen, our woeful lack of any tactics once Rooney was injured and the decission to try and hold a 1-0 lead was terrible. The only times we actually did anything other than pump the ball up to owen was in the first 5 minutes and after they scored. I just don`t get it.

As for the disallowed goal - for me it`s a goal. The goalie is nowhere near it and the referee looked to have a very poor view - for me it was just too controversial of a goal given it was the hosts going out and given the hosts dominance of the game (particularly the second half).

Not meaninig to sound like sour grapes because in the end i think the team with the most desire/flair won in the end, but i doubt the goal would have been disallowed at the other end.

Oh yes - and the ref was universally rubbish. Infact, only the bald headed wonder has been an enjoyable ref to watch. The rest are way too whistle happy and are falling far to easily for the diving antics of a few teams.

JMPovoa

Why are we still debating the England/Portugal ref?

DCharlie, i'm happy that you found the portuguese great people to be with. We are known for that. I hope you had a great time.

A Portugal vs Greece final would be horrible in my opinion. Greece is just way too defensive to provide a good spectacle.

France can only blame themselves for the result. They looked very tired. Not in good shape phisically.

Solid

Coen said:
I have feeling the final is going to be a re-run from the best match so far: Czech Republic vs. Holland.
That game was great! But England-Portugal was even better. It had everything a soccer fan wanted :)

TONIGHT!

frizlatan.jpg
vs
friruud.jpg

And Robben will have a show on his left side. Mikael Nilsson (if he plays.. it looks that way) is the worst player in the Sweden team. He was good against Bulgaria but that's not a good team. In the Italy and Denmark game the left midfielders came pass him every time. I don't trust him :|

JMPovoa

Sweeden made me remind a bit of Celtic against Porto in that UEFA Cup Final. They never give up the result. They always do unexpected comebacks. (Fortunately for Porto, Derlei did the trick that day)

SFA_AOK

norinrad21 said:
Is England still crying? Get over it already

Err, DCharlie just got onto a computer and was adding his thoughts on the game. I think he actually spent more time criticising England than he did talking about the goal. So STFU, dickhead.

Mr Gump

Banned
SFA_AOK said:
Err, DCharlie just got onto a computer and was adding his thoughts on the game. I think he actually spent more time criticising England than he did talking about the goal. So STFU, dickhead.

DCharlie

Just to add one more thing about the goal, in a true sportsman/karma evaluation of the game , then i think if the disallowed goal had of stood then it would have been a travesty given the way Portugal gave us a footballing lesson for 90% of the game.

However, that is the nature of football - sometimes the shittier team does win. It`s not deserved, but it happens, but i feel personally that that might well have been a factor in the disallowing of the goal (1: Portugal being the hosts, 2: Portugal bossing the game).

You only have to look at the refs treatment of South Korea in the last world cup to see that this is sometimes a factor.

Meh, we wouldn`t be England if we won something, so it`s probably for the best. ;)

SFA_AOK

Not sure if you're trying to suggest any conspiracy there but... ;)

Every broadcaster showing Euro 2004 gets a feed from one source - it's not like each broadcaster has their own cameras or anything like that (though broadcasters of nations playing are usually allowed a few cameras of their own on the night).

Sorry if you knew that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom