• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
The disallowed goal was DEFINITELY the right call. Get real for a moment, English. If there were Portugese defenders pushing down on James' shoulders while fighting for the header, preventing him from so much as reaching for the ball, you would cry bloody murder. You would. Fact. Fact.

Fact.

England lost because they couldn't hold onto the lead, nor provide any insurance. They at least did not die and made an exciting equalizer in the final minutes - forcing PKs.

I'd like to see a closer replay of Beckham's kick. As of now I can only assume that the lot of you are simply using whatever you can to excuse his typical blunder.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Socreges said:
The disallowed goal was DEFINITELY the right call. Get real for a moment, English. If there were Portugese defenders pushing down on James' shoulders while fighting for the header, preventing him from so much as reaching for the ball, you would cry bloody murder. You would. Fact. Fact.

Fact.

Honest to god I wouldn't.

I give up on this argument though, neither side is going to back down and we have all the evidence we're ever going to get.

amrum

beckric.jpg

LMAO.gif

WOOT ! RICARDO SEND THE ENGLISH BACK HOME ! WE REACH THE SEMIS !
woot.gif
WE DID IT !!
woot.gif
party.gif

icon21.gif

Socreges

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
Honest to god I wouldn't.

I give up on this argument though, neither side is going to back down and we have all the evidence we're ever going to get.
The fact that you're arguing for England in something that is CLEARLY in favour of Portugal [in that they did keep the goaltender from approaching the ball - which is a foul] leads me to believe, regardless of how I knew you would inevitably insist otherwise, that you would appeal for England no matter who the victim is.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Well clearly you don't want to believe me, and there's no way I could convince you in real life, let alone on the net, so let's just leave it. I can just promise it's true, and OBVIOUSLY I don't think it was clearly in favour of Portugal or we wouldn't be having this argument.

Socreges

Banned
What I'm trying to impress is rather why you believe England was robbed of the goal vs. the call being justifiable and correct. Because I find it so hard to believe that anyone could see it differently unless their perception is terribly clouded. You, however, insist that you're being completely objectionable and truly think that there should not have been a call. I suppose I have no choice but to accept that. :)

joaomgcd

Ok people, here is the footage...

I think it's CLEARLY a foul. The goalkeeper was trying to jump for the ball and the english forward didn't allow him to do so.

notgoal.gif

Pay close attention to the moment he was trying to jump.

Get a higher quality video here.

JMPovoa

What's most fun about that disallowed goal, is that Terry made foul on Ricardo, because Campbell used Terry as a means to score, pushing him down, who in consequence pushes Ricardo down. Blame Campbell! :D

Coen

Chibbi Brady said:
Big well done to Portugal though. I thought they had thrown it away with the mad substitution of Figo. He was their best player and yet Deco, who had the worst game of his life stayed on the pitch! Don't even get me started about Miguel, he was worse than Deco. Bloody awful performances from them. Tired now, must take some headache pills and try to get some sleep.

What? Are you serious?
Figo's game sucked, like all of his Euro 2004 games so far. He's a over the thop, self-centered basterd, who just cannot make the difference anymore. The way he behaved when he was substituted was absolutely disgraceful. He didn't even wish the new guy good luck (and he went on to score the equalizer). Deco wasn't briljant like the last two games he played, but he at least tried to make up for it by working hard.

All Real Madrid players dissapoint, with the exception of Zidane.

Figo is a bastard, he thinks the Portugese team is all about him, infact he was the casue of all the problems on the Portugese side because of his selfish behavior, arguing with Deco over free kicks, corners etc, he was worthless all through out the game, i wish Scolari would have yanked him earlier on.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Shompola said:
Well they should have had complaied about the spot. Maybe they did? I couldn't see. But if they didn't complain then its their own fault.

About the condition of the penalty spots, Eriksson added: "Twice before both games we played at this stadium we complained.

"I complained personally to the Uefa official responsible about the penalty spot.

"Then on Wednesday for a second time we talked about it again to Uefa and they said they would replace some of the grass on it."

norinrad21 said:
Figo is a bastard, he thinks the Portugese team is all about him, infact he was the casue of all the problems on the Portugese side because of his selfish behavior, arguing with Deco over free kicks, corners etc, he was worthless all through out the game, i wish Scolari would have yanked him earlier on.

Where did you get this?For all i know Figo watched the rest of the game with other players in the team rooms of the stadium, yes he was pissed he was out, but besides his shots he was playing well, and against spain he was one of the best, so dont understand these comments.....

COCKLES

being watched
Socreges said:

Fact.

England lost because they couldn't hold onto the lead, nor provide any insurance. They at least did not die and made an exciting equalizer in the final minutes - forcing PKs.

I'd like to see a closer replay of Beckham's kick. As of now I can only assume that the lot of you are simply using whatever you can to excuse his typical blunder.

That's the difference. The keeper isn't attempting to jump. His just caught flat footed and is floundering his arms up. Terry waving his arm around isn't going to make any difference. Look at it from the reverse angle and you'll see it's clear. At the end of the day Portugal are hosts - they will always get favourable treatment in the same way England did in Euro 96 when Spain scored a perfectly good goal but it was disallowed.

I just feel sorry for Campbell - robbed of two winners that would have taken England through in two important QF's because basically...the goalies are shit.

Papers were out for the swiss ref - Beckham seems to have got off quite lightly for the penalty. But most commentators have noted this hasn't been his tournament - like Figo Beckham's glory days are perhaps over at international level - even his Real form has been lukewarm at best of late.

joaomgcd

COCKLES said:
That's the difference. The keeper isn't attempting to jump.

Why would the keeper not attempt to jump in an imminent goal situation? That's just silly. Besides, you can clearly see he was trying to jump and terry stopped him from doing so. How can you not see that??

Instead of predictably whining about the disallowed goal, why not discuss why they deserved to go out defending so deeply the entire second half.

And why Becks is a choke artist.

btw I support England and they deserved to lose. And yes it was a foul.

B E N K E

There was no foul. The goalkeeper jumped straight into Terry full well knowing he couldn't reach the ball. Was Terry supposed to vanish into thin air? The ref saw nothing and only reacted cause Ricardo fell. It happens every day and goalkeepers gets the benefit of the doubt everywhere except in England. The thing is the ref would have called foul for every other team in a similar situation, so in that sense there was no injustice. Sure it was a legit goal, but since refs always call foul in that situation was it really unfair?

COCKLES

being watched
joaomgcd said:
Why would the keeper not attempt to jump in an imminent goal situation? That's just silly. Besides, you can clearly see he was trying to jump and terry stopped him from doing so. How can you not see that??

Because his caught flat footed. Watch the whole incident. His legs were bracing from first attempt to grab ball.

The goalie is supposed TO COMMAND the goal area. Same reason I blame Shilton for Maradona's hand of god - Deigo was a tiny little bastard, IT WAS SHILTON'S JOB to majestically leap into the air and punch the ball away. Instead he leapt like a crippled chimp and allowed a midget to out leap him.

SFA_AOK

The goalie had no room to jump. Campbell and Terry were in the right spot, jumped at the right time, totally eliminating the space for the goalie needed to make the save. Is that a foul? Because I don't buy "Terry was holding him down"

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1247271,00.html

England's exit from Euro 2004 has been marred by a night of violence around the country which culminated in a two-hour siege of a Portuguese-owned pub in Norfolk.

Police in riot gear were called in to rescue 120 fans, including 80 Portuguese and their children, after the Red Lion pub in Norfolk was surrounded by more than 100 England fans following the defeat by Portugal on penalties in Lisbon.

A siege???

COCKLES

being watched
norinrad21 said:
The video shows, Terry clearly brought the goalkeeper out of balance.

I think we can break this down to:-

PRO ENGLISH
}} GOAL
<IF NOT>
ENGLAND HATE+1 GOSUB <RUN FOUL ROUTINE>
LOOP

As for the violence...can't condone it. But before the game I saw a plumbers van in London with poster of Portugal team in the back window with a poster scribbed I HATE ENGLAND. What was the guy thinking? Hopefully he got a good kicking.

This quote from BBCi site about sums it up:-

The emotional well-being of England fans might be better served if they simply forgot all about football and took up tiddlywinks instead.

But supporting England is like a drug that cannot be given up - and the fans must once again deal with the painful side effects.

my opinion on that disallowed goal is;

the goalie was caught flat footed.

he didn't attempt to jump.

EVERYONE jumps with their hands up, unless you're retarded that is.

Terry's arm got caught between the floundering keeper.

Terry wasn't even looking at the keeper, he was simply focused on heading the ball in.

Campbell climbed on Terry to score.

The keeper stood perfectly fine straight after the palava, only falling to the floor when he see's the ref.

it's all in that gif. plain as day. these things happen to England all the time. i even predcited a "homer" ref in the OA thread.

cuccoo

I agree that it appears he was flat footed. It looks like he attempted to jump later on, but that was when Campbell is already in the air and was about to head the ball in. So, the keeper realised that he had to jump and make a save. It was too late, but he tried anyway and he tried a small jump but was hold back by Terry who was being pushed down by campbell.

I agree that it appears he was flat footed. It looks like he attempted to jump later on, but that was when Campbell is already in the air and was about to head the ball in. So, the keeper realised that he had to jump and make a save. It was too late, but he tried anyway and he tried a small jump but was hold back by Terry who was being pushed down by campbell.

another thing i noticed is that the keeper is about a meter to the right of the ball. Terry and campbell are directly underneath so they have more of an attacking right to head the ball. imo it was;

bad goal keeping
nice play acting
bull headed refereeing (ignoring the linesman who gave the goal.)

Don't forget folks, the ref allowed the quick free kick too. Maybe he was hoping Portugal would run up and score since the England defenders were celebrating? what a con.

otheranthony-ns said:
another thing i noticed is that the keeper is about a meter to the right of the ball. Terry and campbell are directly underneath so they have more of an attacking right to head the ball. imo it was;

bad goal keeping
nice play acting
bull headed refereeing (ignoring the linesman who gave the goal.)

Don't forget folks, the ref allowed the quick free kick too. Maybe he was hoping Portugal would run up and score since the England defenders were celebrating? what a con.

Yes england lost because of the referee, they even played better.........:S

Whether or not the goalie was flat footed, last I checked, you can't drape your arm over his shoulder preventing him from jumping, regardless of his intentions.

Socreges

Banned
1-0 GREECE!!!! YES YES!!!!
Mike Works said:
Whether or not the goalie was flat footed, last I checked, you can't drape your arm over his shoulder preventing him from jumping, regardless of his intentions.
Bingo. He was clearly interfered with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom