• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
What the shit??? Is ESPN's coverage delayed????!?!?!!? I just saw my BBC headline and it said that Spain won 4-Nil. WTF!?!?!?!?

Fake edit: Never mind. It's a replay. :)

Don't Ireland have a team most second tier division players of all the teams in Euro? I think 10+ players are Championship players. Pretty much all the other teams have players playing in club that plays in the top tier.

Biggzy

I don't think Croatia is a good example tbh.

They're a genuinely good team.

We don't have the quality, especially in midfield, to challenge the better teams.

Then Irish fan need to start asking questions to the Irish FA and ask why the Republic aren't producing the standard of players as the Croat's.

Then Irish fan need to start asking questions to the Irish FA and ask why the Republic aren't producing the standard of players as the Croat's.

Are you just plainly looking at the size/population of a country and draw comparisons from there? Wtf? What's up with China and India then?!

burnfout

They got annihilated but daaaamn, they do have some amazing fans.

I have a question, are there any Dutch around? I wonder how trustworthy "Volkskrant" is? Because apparently they broke news that the racism story last week (black Dutch players targeted by monkey noises) was actually made up. I'd really like to now, as this was one of the incidents I was really ashamed by.

Volkskrant is considered a respectable newspaper.

Smeghead

Hope we dont get fucked over like in 2004 when the swedes and danish just so happen to draw 2-2 to make both of them go through.

I'm not even sure if the win is dead cert anyway, I thInk it comes down to how Ireland decide to play. If they sit back with 10 men, which I think they will do, I think we're doomed. We always struggle when teams play like that,

I'm not convinced on any of our strikers either. Di Natale was a ghost when he came on and nothing was falling right for Balo, you can tell he feels the pressure way more playing for us than city.

Balzaretti needs to play next game, Giaccherini doesn't offer much in defense or attack.

Clegg

Football is the most supported sport in Ireland but it isn't the most played.

Gaelic Games is the sport with the highest participation rate in Ireland. It gets the bulk of elite sportsmen within our country. Gaelic games are ingrained into our society. Representing your club or county is seen as a huge honour.

Domestic football just isn't as highly regarded. Rugby is also becoming a bigger and bigger sport in Ireland with ever increasing numbers taking up the game. Football is still more popular but not by as much as it was even 10 years ago.

Football doesn't have a monopoly on the talented sportsmen in Ireland.

China and India don't have the infrastructure to produce good players.
What do you mean by infrastructure? HK alone is more populous than Ireland (and Denmark for that matter). So it's got a comparable talent pool. You think it's got worse infrastructure? Not so much.
It mostly comes down to football's popularity. Those Gaelic sports (and probably rugby too) are more popular than football in Ireland.
And the popularity in China is also a more recent phenomenon.

/beaten

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Proud of our team and fans.

I don't know what some were expecting from a team of journeymen, against three extremely good & technical teams.

We overachieved by qualifying for the tournament.

Even an 1-1 draw between Croatia and Spain could leave Italy out

In this case, Italy should win with a goal difference >= 3. With a goal difference of 2, Italy should make at least 4 goals. If we beat Ireland 3-1, we go through for a better UEFA coefficient.

It's a nightmare, it's 2004 again.

I don't think that Croatia and Spain will make 2-2 on purpose like Sweden and Denmark did in 2004 aniway

Biggzy

What do you mean by infrastructure? HK alone is more populous than Ireland (and Denmark for that matter). So it's got a comparable talent pool. You think it's got worse infrastructure? Not so much.
It mostly comes down to football's popularity. Those Gaelic sports (and probably rugby too) are more popular than football in Ireland.
And the popularity in China is also a more recent phenomenon.

/beaten

Still hasn't stooped Ireland from producing good players in the past, and Ireland have the added benefit of players born in N. Ireland being eligible to play for the Republic.

Maybe it's just me, but I agree 100% with Roy Keane's view tonight - and I don't particularly like the man.

bjaelke

like Sweden and Denmark did in 2004 aniway

KuGsj.gif

Is a Spain v Italy final still possible? Assuming they both get out of their group.
Only if they both finish 1st or 2nd in their respective groups.

Yen

Still hasn't stooped Ireland from producing good players in the past, and Ireland have the added benefit of players born in N. Ireland being eligible to play for the Republic.

Maybe it's just me, but I agree 100% with Roy Keane's view tonight - and I don't particularly like the man.

We need to develop players like John Aldridge and Mark Lawrenson, again.

operon

Very proud of our fans tonight, singing all the time, and as a Galway man the fields of athenry always makes me happy. Their singing and freely mingling and singing with the Spanish fans was fantastic, that and the "picture" on twitter, surely our motto is make love not war. The Spanish fans should be proud of themselves , this is was football is really about.

Ours never stood a chance against the best football team in the world, and I hope they go on to win. Their football is beautiful the passing sublime. Ours lads showed their inexperience in big tournaments and the huge gap on quality, but we can only improve.

Majine

Banned
English and swedish tabloids in war!

First, swedish Aftonbladet posted this suggested frontpage for all the englishmen this saturday.

mirroretta.jpg

Daily Mirror replied with:

aftonetta.jpg

The main story is probably understood, but the other ones are:
"Is she [Loreen] the lovechild of Humperdinck?"
"IKEA gone bankrupt"
"Shocking! ABBA is actually norwegian!"

/edit
^cool

Gomez only had 22 seconds ballcontact yesterday and scored twice...damn
Yeah, but who else scored? It's cool that he scores willy-nilly and all of a sudden seems to be in the form of his life (Schweinsteiger: "I've never ever seen accomplish a first touch like that"), but our game is too reliant on his scoring because with him we are barely able to play that 2010' one-touch football with fast-paced passing. And when we meet a defensively formidable opponent who's also got good Karma (unlike Portugal with the deflected cross, lol) we could very well be fucked.
But then we didn't win shit 2010, so if that's what it takes to win the Euro then I'm the first to hug his nuts..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom