• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

Looking at the current Premier League managers, the potential shortlist is Bilic, Hughes, Pardew, Allardyce and maybe Howe (for the sake of argument let's assume they'd all want it and wouldn't just say fuck off).

Inspirational.

Doc_Drop

I don't understand sentiments that England shouldn't have a foreign manager, that's when we've been best since Venables. Sam is probably the only English manager I would accept at this time as the young crop aren't quite there yet. I'm gutted Pearce isn't actually that great, he would have been perfect

casiopao

He's currently the u-21 coach. He went out at the group stages of the most recent u-21 tournament. His previous managerial career consists of a fairly disastrous stint at Middlesborough.

He's even less qualified than Hodgson.

Welp.How can this person even be considered at all to be candidate for England National Team here?

I mean, is there no better alternative?

Hell, getting those foreign coach should not be a bad idea right?

Hasney

Welp.How can this person even be considered at all to be candidate for England National Team here?

I mean, is there no better alternative?

Hell, getting those foreign coach should not be a bad idea right?

getting a foreign anything in this country might be a bad idea soon.

Syder

Chris Waddle was suggesting Hoddle on 606 last night… When was his last job? Bloke can't even commentate properly. He sounds senile.

Couldn't make it up.

T-Rex.

Banned
Who are the alternatives? If Roy was good enough to get the job, they are good enough too.
But Roy wasn't good enough and that's the issue. I don't know tbh, if we're going to restrict it to only having an English manager (I don't agree we should) then yeah we're fucked lol. I'd prefer a younger one like Howe over the dinosaurs.

MrS

Banned
But Roy wasn't good enough and that's the issue. I don't know tbh, if we're going to restrict it to only having an English manager (I don't agree we should) then yeah we're fucked lol. I'd prefer a younger one like Howe over the dinosaurs.
Howe is a good option, for sure. I'd like to see one of the aforementioned given a chance, honestly. They've earned the opportunity imo.

knavish

I would much prefer a foreign coach the list of English candidates is woeful apart from Eddie Howe, who I quite like.

I just a want a team that isn't hampered by poor tactical decision making and abject squad choices. Play in form players in their correct positions for start. Get a leader on the pitch. Fight, heart and determination is also required.

We have some decent players but poor defending in our league makes us believe they are better than they are.

Kane looks great at times but lacks pace and a trick or two to be amazing at international level. Get pace up front.

Rooney is NOT a midfielder at international level or any level for that matter, shouldnt even be playing in my opinion.

Walker is braindead, yeah hes quick going forward but cant defend to save his life. Clyne should have been first choice.

Sterling requires no words. Should never have made the squad

Hasney

If that fat gobshite Allardyce gets the job then I am legit changing nationalities.

Fuck it, I might do that anyway.

On the plus side, you'd never have to waste 90 minutes watching them again if Big Sam got it. I'd love a foreign manager personally, but I doubt that will happen.

knavish

Will England ever not blame the coach? Granted, hiring Hodgson was fucking weird but putting it all on him...

who's fault is it then? its the managers selection and tactics that were all wrong.

who chose to take Jack Wilshire despite only playing a handful of games last season. Or choosing Sterling over Townsend?

tomtom94

Will England ever not blame the coach? Granted, hiring Hodgson was fucking weird but putting it all on him...

It's an easy scapegoat. The press can't blame the amount of money in the Premier League (for discouraging players from playing abroad) because most of them are owned by Murdoch and they're sure as hell not going to blame their own ridiculous expectations for overburdening the players.

That said, Hodgson has to bear his share of the blame because it's obvious that most of the issues on the pitch last night were to do with mentality and fatigue.

The problem with the England job that it's such a poison chalice that you'll only attract no-hopers like Southgate, Hoddle etc or people at the end of their careers who are looking for one last big job like Allardyce.

I honestly can't see why you they can't appoint a part-time manager, you'll get a better quality of manager applying and someone who is involved day to day in football.

Honey Bunny

Southgate's name shouldn't be in the conversation. He's awful and I doubt I'll ever forgive him for taking my beloved Boro down. Give it to Sam, Bruce, Pards or somebody else who has paid their dues. At this point they couldn't be any worse than Woy. Definitely don't want another foreign manager.

We've tried English managers and we got Keegan Hoddle McClaren and Woy. Don't see why trying another foreign manager is off the cards based on Capello's and Sven's record compared to those four.

edit:
Would take Glenn Hoddle again tbh

Oh you're looney.

Mascot

I'd say in this case it was almost entirely his (and his coaching staff's) fault.

• Terrible squad selection, picking reputation over form
  • Forcing players into unfamiliar positions
  • Tactical ineptitude and inability to adapt to on-the-field events
  • Woeful set-piece preparation
  • Inappropriate roles (eg Kane on corners etc etc)
  • Inability to inspire his squad
  • Looking like the bastard son of some unholy union between Mrs Doubtfire and a startled owl

MrS

Banned
We've tried English managers and we got Keegan Hoddle McClaren and Woy. Don't see why trying another foreign manager is off the cards based on Capello's and Sven's record compared to those four.

edit:

Oh you're looney.
I liked Sven and he was decent but Capello wasn't good for England and his teams performance at the World Cup was tragic.

Hope they get an English manager but fair enough if they don't.

cqyj16.jpg

caramac

I'd say in this case it was almost entirely his (and his coaching staff's) fault.

• Looking like the bastard son of some unholy union between Mrs Doubtfire and a startled owl

royrub9yues.gif

Honey Bunny

I liked Sven and he was decent but Capello wasn't good for England and his teams performance at the World Cup was tragic.

Hope they get an English manager but fair enough if they don't.

For it to be a tragedy at least required a downfall. We expected things of that team and they didn't deliver.

Under Woy and Mcclaren we didn't have any further to fall, it was just comedy.

Celine

People keep underestimating Graziano Pelle. People keep being wrong. He's no Inzaghi but he can be a Toni.

And Juventus didn't reach the CL final for nothing.

Personally I think this is one of the better Italy sides of recent times.
Indeed Pellè works is underrated but I don't think he is at the same level of Toni.
Many forget that Toni was a scoring machine, one of the very few who scored 30 or more goals in Serie A in a single season.
In fact he scored more goals in Serie A than Inzaghi despite the seasons he played in Bundesliga (where he was again the top scorer of the league).

The current italian national team lacks talent (didn't help Verratti and Marchisio are injured) but it has one of he strongest team work in the past few decades.

Kill3r7

People keep underestimating Graziano Pelle. People keep being wrong. He's no Inzaghi but he can be a Toni.

And Juventus didn't reach the CL final for nothing.

Personally I think this is one of the better Italy sides of recent times.

I agree that Pelle is good at holding up play and far more skillful then people give him credit for but I think your memory is failing you. Luca Toni was a goal scoring machine. At his prime he averaged around a goal every 2 games at club level.

On a side note, England's best bet would be to hire Fergie for WC 2018. The current crop of candidates do not inspire much confidence.

Alucard

Banned
Poland vs, Portugal at 3pm EST on Thursday. Enjoy the break, folks.

I have to admit that this tournament finally feels alive. The group stage was bland and forgettable.

Pretty much. Just need to look at Conte and what he's done with the Italy squad to see what a difference a manager can make.

Really fancy Belgium to win this now. The Hungary game will have done wonders for their confidence and they've got a fantastic draw to get to the final.

spekkeh

Banned
I agree that Pelle is good at holding up play and far more skillful then people give him credit for but I think your memory is failing you. Luca Toni was a goal scoring machine. At his prime he averaged around a goal every 2 games at club level.
I know Eredivisie has a (deserved) low reputation, but Pelle was nearly 1:1 during his tenure at Feyenoord. I meant the comparison with Toni in that he peaked very late in his life and is more of a goalgetter than a rounded player, so people immediately dismiss him as a workhorse, but Pelle, like Toni, has the right mentality in front of the goal. Yeah Toni is probably better when push comes to shove.
On a side note, England's best bet would be to hire Fergie for WC 2018. The current crop of candidates do not inspire much confidence.
Why isn't Ferguson the main candidate? I figured he wouldn't want to do it?

Kill3r7

Fergie allegedly turned the job down twice before. He believes the team is overrated (by the media) and the pressure to win is immense. Thus, making it an impossible job.

“Every competition, for some reason, the press make them favourites - to my mind they have never been favou​rites. Ever.​“ - Fergie

Doc_Drop

Why on earth would he come out of retirement to manage this shit show?

What we need is a young and inventive, no BS taking recent ex-player manager from England. Sadly that doesn't really exist as yet. We need someone in the mould of Simeone or Guadiola who have come from successful teams and know what they are doing tactically and have the respect of the dressing room. Problem is a great deal of our recent international retirees have either proven to be tactical dunces or not overly bright. We'd have needed Pearce to be good, or Shearer or Sherringham, or for Ince or Robson to step up...but yeah that hasn't worked out. Hell, I'd love for Giggs to progress as I'd take him in a heartbeat if he can prove himself as a driving force. Sneaky dark horse - Ole Gunnar Solskjær

airjoca

Rooney is surely going to announce his int. retirement soon. He can't cut it anymore. He should do a Messi and just give it up.

There's a lot more to the Messi retirement story. More players are renouncing as well. It all seems to be caused by a LOT of corruption at the Argentine Football Federation.

Info:
http://screamer.deadspin.com/why-lionel-messis-retirement-is-probably-just-a-threa-1782661520

"Last December’s presidential election ended in a farce, when 75 voters somehow produced a 38-38 tie."

"Things have gotten so bad that on Friday FIFA stepped in to seize control of the AFA."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom